• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma wants Zelda Wii U to "hold its own" vs. Hyrule Warriors in terms of cutscenes

ZiZ

I hope they change the shading a bit for Zelda Wii U. Link didn't look that good in the E3 video with that shading.

Although I did like the cutscenes and the production value in Skyward Sword and other Zelda games (especially Wind Waker HD), I would like them to try an implement story through discovery and exploration i.e. discovering story points in the game world through exploring optional caves/dungeons or NPC's like Majora's Mask. Perhaps they could scale back on cutscenes and improve on these interactions. I think trying to implement in game story scenes instead of cutscenes could also help immersion, like Half Life. Not to say I don't want cutscenes altogether, I for one enjoy the Zelda lore and story. It's a hard balance to get right if they are trying to attempt this 'open world' game between story and non linearity.

3980754-8787229048-BH8VO.jpg

Cutscenes are also important. I think the perfect mixture of story through discovery, NPCs and exploration and cutscenes like in TP will be the best way to tell a story. Im glad he want to produce great quality cutscenes.I just hope he knows how important music is for cutscenes in that direction he should get inspired by the previous Zelda games.

But some people want a more story driven Zelda that will compete with the TLOUs for the Best Writing/ Best Story awards, and more fleshed out characters that make you feel, which would require more dialogue.

And some just want to pick up a sword and go.

Not picking on you specifically, just pointing out how it's impossible to win for Zelda.

No worries. I know it's impossible to win with Zelda, but I've just never heard of people wanting more story in a Zelda game. It just isn't a story-heavy series in my opinion. I'm sure those people are out there, but I think there are so many other franchises that offer that experience.

I haven't seen HW's cutscenes. What is distinctive about them? I thought the cutscenes in WW, for example, were plenty sophisticated.

Although I did like the cutscenes and the production value in Skyward Sword and other Zelda games (especially Wind Waker HD), I would like them to try an implement story through discovery and exploration i.e. discovering story points in the game world through exploring optional caves/dungeons or NPC's like Majora's Mask. Perhaps they could scale back on cutscenes and improve on these interactions. I think trying to implement in game story scenes instead of cutscenes could also help immersion, like Half Life. Not to say I don't want cutscenes altogether, I for one enjoy the Zelda lore and story. It's a hard balance to get right if they are trying to attempt this 'open world' game between story and non linearity.

I agree with this. 3D Zeldas have done a pretty good job of limiting the frequency and duration of cutscenes (relative to AAA peers). If additional story content is desired, there are ways of integrating that content with exploration and puzzle-solving that would better serve the series' gameplay. To take a crude example, burying "lore" rather than rupees at the end of an optional cave is an easy way to reward players and build a world.

Some Nobody

People want...less cutscenes?

What?

Whatever dialogue they do isn't going to disappear.

So it'd be just text after text after text with Link & (Whoever) standing there with no movement or expression. Like an old school RPG.

That's what people want...?

A ton of people want Zelda to be more like the original game from '86, so...not really surprising.

*runs to youtube to watch 'Warriors cutscences*

Yes those are better than the typical nintendo cutscene. At the same time I don't think I'd want that style to be used for every cutscene in the next zelda game. They don't meld with the actual game well. I'd prefer well done in game "cutscenes"

Oh, and, isn't Shiek, Zelda?

wrowa

The lack of voice acting in Hyrule Warriors' cutscenes is honestly a little awkward, since they are going for this more cinematic look, which just doesn't feel right when the characters don't say anything. If you're trying to go for a more dramatic look a good delivery of the lines is key... It's the first time in a Zelda game that I got the feeling that the lack of voice acting is actively hurting the game.

The game has an actual narrator in some scenes though, which was quite a surprise to me.

I think it's great that Nintendo is reading our thoughts on Miiverse. Maybe if we spam "F-ZERO GX HD ON E-SHOP" they'll do it.

In terms of animation and stuff, yeah I agree. HW did a great job. They do look a little silly without voice acting though and I wish they'd been able to put some in. The narration is quite good in Japanese, though.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I would agree lack of voice acting in HW is a bit odd, especially since the characters have lip synching for dialog that's not recorded.

It struck me there could be one very specific reason for this though. If they are going to introduce voice acting for Zelda U, HW may have been in a real bind. Casting good actors is not a minor project. Once you have an official voice for Zelda, Ganon, etc, you need to stay with those actors across multiple projects.

Zelda U is probably nowhere near the stage of recording dialog if it has voice acting. Any prospective voice cast wouldn't have been selected in time for Warriors.

Add voice acting then also, please. Its so awkward having HD cutscenes where no one talks.

Not to get Off-topic but if they added voice acting, and it was hylian like Fi and Midna...could Link talk? I mean it's just as awkward for me to see him voice stuff out and not have a text box as it is to see people voice stuff out with a text box but no sound, and if he didn't have a text box (even though he's technically had one before) he could say whatever he wanted without "ruining the experience" for people who don't want him to speak.

Regardless, put me in the camp that wants VA just in general, even though I have some reservations I still find it weird to see them actually talking and for there to not be any noise.

Grisby

SS and TP didn't particularly have engaging cutscenes so sure, why not.

However, it'd be better if they went with less, go more mysterious with the world like SOTC or something.

Neoxon

Seriously, get voice actors. I don't care if Link stays silent like how Persona handles their MCs, but everyone else needs voices.

Lunar15

Seriously, get voice actors. I don't care if Link stays silent like how Persona handles their MCs, but everyone else needs voices.

I really agree with this. It was super apparent in Skyward Sword, and it's become even more apparent in Hyrule Warriors.

BOOOO! Don't listen to the short-attention spanned loud minority, Eiji. How about no cutscenes at all in the new Zelda? LBW didn't have any and was a better game for it: it kept the pacing fast and gave you a sense of agency the whole time. Nothing breaks my immersion faster than taking control away from me and having me watch a character instead of controlling it. It reminds me, "oh yeah, I'm not a warrior in an enchanted land, I'm a dumbass on a couch with a toy controller. thanks cutscene!"

OTOH, it's cool that the developers actually monitor Miiverse and take it into account during development. I expect an NPC named Willem in the next Zelda.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I sometimes feel I am the only guy that likes cutscenes. I like managing some awesome feat and then being treated to a pretty cool scene. I love it. Just give a non-cutscene option or cutscene-skipping at any point so whiners are happy.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
They all feature way more story than they get credit for. At least from Ocarina on.
yup this, the cutscenes in SS were incredibly well done along with amazing dialogue/localization, and before that TP had pretty great cutscenes aswell

BOOOO! Don't listen to the short-attention spanned loud minority, Eiji. How about no cutscenes at all in the new Zelda? LBW didn't have any and was a better game for it: it kept the pacing fast and gave you a sense of agency the whole time. Nothing breaks my immersion faster than taking control away from me and having me watch a character instead of controlling it. It reminds me, "oh yeah, I'm not a warrior in an enchanted land, I'm a dumbass on a couch with a toy controller. thanks cutscene!"

OTOH, it's cool that the developers actually monitor Miiverse and take it into account during development. I expect an NPC named Willem in the next Zelda.

Uhhh...while there were less then usual, ALBW had cutscenes, and there not being in Zelda U does not sound good to me.

Neoxon

I really agree with this. It was super apparent in Skyward Sword, and it's become even more apparent in Hyrule Warriors.
I don't care if Link gets a voice or not, it's everyone else that needs voice acting. Kid Icarus Uprising & Fire Emblem Awakening proved that Nintendo can get voice acting right, apply those successes to Zelda.

Astral Dog

How about fewer cutscenes, more impressive gameplay areas?

Its not like Zelda games dont focus on the gameplay a lot,even Skyward Sword had very few cutscenes for a 40 hour game,the problem is that most story exposition happens at the beginning,middle, and the very end, and that hurts the passing of the game.

Im hoping this game has some nice cutscenes, but that hey are more spread through the game

Floex

For godsake Aonuma, don't listen to the idiots who like cutscenes made by the likes of Team-Ninja.

Make it like Dark Souls, DARK SOULS. Subtle storytelling.

Volotaire

With regards to voice acting, they've already achieved Link and Zelda saying words. Well, Link says 'Come on' in Wind Waker, and Zelda sings Hylian gibberish in Skyward Sword. I wouldn't mind a gibberish language being implemented, it worked well for Midna and Zelda. But I would prefer Link saying a few phrases like Wind Waker (since he is obviously not mute), and voice acting for cutscenes/major conversations for other characters or at least select main characters. I don't think giving Link a full VO is a good idea at all though. Wind Waker was a unique choice for Link talking because of the cel shading style and characterisation that they intertwined in the game, and the age of Link. It might not work with this older Link in Zelda U. Gibberish or grunts could be used for minor conversations such as approaching shop buyers, since we don't need voice acting there. I think most players, well as least me, tend to skip/fast read the dialog of unimportant conversations like these so it would be helpful for production to avoid VO in these parts.

Top Bottom