• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP study: Nearly 90% of esports scholarships going to men

ReBurn

Gold Member
I personally think all of this is stupid. Esports as a thing is stupid. Gaming scholarships are stupid.

This is all so depressing and wrong. WtF happened to games....
video games are the only thing zoomers have the attention span to do for extended period of time

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
full

Jeeves

The gulf between mobile games and traditional gaming is so massive that you may as well consider them two different hobbies. Speaking about the difference in the styles of games and also the culture surrounding them.

Any study that lumps them together comes off as disingenuous at best.

AmuroChan

IIRC, wasn't there an all-female eSports team that was competing at pro level a couple years back? What ever happened to them?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
41% lmao.

more like 4.1%. I have been gaming all my life. I have never met a single girl who has even owned a console.

These are fake gamers who play candy crush on their cellphones and think thats a video game.

StormCell

41% is bullshit. No way in hell that's the case. Maybe mobile games but not esport type of games. Every single e-sport is dominated by men.

But that is a valid way to view things. esports is very focused on certain genres that are preferred by men. Perhaps they should look into offering competitions and scholarships in games that are not traditionally esports. They will probably lose some money on it, but when has this not ever been the case?

Frankly, watching people indirectly compete with one another at Stardew Valley might just be worth watching...

41% of U.S. gamers are female, what does that mean?

I am pretty sure it does not mean if there are a 100 game hours played, that 41 hours of those are filled in by woman.

I think you need to look at what is considered a game. The end of the article only really hints at this. Droning out on a mobile game is considered being a gamer now. When I still worked in retail, a lot of the women were playing games on Facebook and before that MSM. They'd be counted as gamers as much as some dude that eats, sleeps and works around his favorite MMO or the world speed run record holder in Tomba 2.

Velius

Banned
This could be because women are generally worse at gaming than men. But somehow I know this is Trump's fault.
Destroy the patriarchy

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

meanspartan

If you mean that LOL team then here it is, enjoy :

Another thing to notice here is that every girl on this team is conventionally attractive. That's the real sexism, if any. They didn't try to gather up the best female LoL players in Russia, they gathered up attractive girls as priority #1. Maybe they played LoL decently at a non-esports level, but obviously they had no chance against real competition.

Most esports champions are not conventionally attractive, they are average looking, because most people are average looking.

Last edited:
Would love to see more female representation in esports as it is mostly dominated by males. I wish more females were into video games though i think number of female gamers have gone up drastically over the last decade which to me is a welcome sight. Video game communities were a sausage fest anyways atleast when i was a arcade regular back in the 90s.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

We cant simply accept this.
We need to force a minimum 50% famale Esports players.
We also need to force a minimum 25% trans Esports players.
We furthermore need to force a minimum 15% Queer Esports players.

D👏I👏V👏E👏R👏S👏I👏T👏Y👏

oh nvm it was already posted.

Last edited:

adamosmaki

There are scholarships for esports? That in and of its self is already ridiculous enough let alone we already know that most of those surveys are BS and take into account females playing on smartphones as"gamers"

Last edited:
Even if overall 80% of gamers were female, that number has no meaning in the context of esports because it has no relation to it. Average gamers are not to esports players what, lets say, average workers are to people in management positions. It's not like gamers in general have a career in esports on their radar let alone even think this is desirable or somehow the logical "next step" in their gaming hobby, lol.

I think that the real story here is that colleges and universities have esports scholarships. I like gaming as much as the next guy but I think that's kind of retarded (same goes for sports scholarships).

Also 41%? Not of the type of games that are played at esports competitions, that's for sure. I know a few women who do play such games but they're pretty few and far between.

Kikorin

Everyone who tried to play a game at a competitive level know the insane amount of time and dedication that is required. Is something that just a small percentage of people can do (like the traditional sports at a professional level). You can't compare e-sports to traditional gaming or, even worst, mobile gaming.

Also, I'm pretty sure there are no barriers for woman in e-sports, only thing that matter is how good you are at play a game, for example SuperGirlKels is a female Smash Bros. Player that was ranked in the top-100 with male players because of her results in tournament. This is the only thing that matter in e-sports and is the most fair thing you can get. Probably the percentage of man playing competitive games is so high compared to woman that, right now, there are pretty much just men that compete in e-sports. If gaming will become a common hobby between girls too in future, I'm sure we'll starts to see more women compete in e-sports.

regawdless

Banned
Clearly a sign of systemic sexism, toxic masculinity and male patriarchy.

Therefore we need to tear down statues, deconstruct society and destroy the system.

logic GIF

nkarafo

And we all know how this is going to be "solved" eventually.

They can't force a female team VS males because we saw what happened with that. They won't risk embarrassing themselves like that again.

So what they'll do is to force a certain number of female players into all teams. It will be mandatory to have, say, at least 2 female members to be eligible. This way all teams will be equally handicapped. So the win/loss ratio won't change much. The only difference is this time female players will be able to win!

Ofc, fans who watch the games and know what is what will also see the female players being carried by the male ones 100% of the time. But that's not a concern for the twitter crowd or the casual normie feminists who don't watch the games and don't really care about them. All that matters is the narrative. Female players will become "as good as men" since they will have equal percentage of wins and they will also earn equal rewards and scholarships. Problem solved. Equality achieved.

Zaffo

Nah, what will happen is that eventually there are going to be female esports leagues in the west too, leagues that are going to be dominated by trans esportsmens.
Another win for social justice and women spaces.

Ladioss

Same old racket to extort government tax dollars to pay for new segregated scholarships in the name of equity.

clintar

It's because women have their priorities straight.

Except for candy crush. That's the fix. Make candy crush a competitive e-sport!

GymWolf

They probably exchange some female players for male players, i bet those data are fucked up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom