• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apexicon: Fantasy Puzzle Combat - Created by Gaffer - [Wii U/Vita/PS4 stretch goals]

I did not see a description of your dictionary on the kickstarter page? Nothing frustrates me more than a word game with a smaller vocabulary than I have.

Although I suppose proper nouns are never allowed. Sometimes I attempt to use them repeatedly though, because some words are just so cool to use.

I've also felt the market needs word games with modes where the points are based on word rarity, rather than length. Not sure how it could be measured, maybe common usage on internet pages, but thinking about that tends to depress me. Language gets really mangled in public settings.

Ashodin

Big image, but you can see how our other characters are progressing in the art department.

110313-003.jpg

Ashodin

We just announced our first confirmed stretch goal for APEXICON:

75d687d4b29dd58f185fea4a353c4dfd_large.png

Exciting times indeed! We already have a dev kit.

Can a mod change the thread title to say [Wii U stretch goal]? :)

Ashodin

We are in the process of getting some cool cross over stuff. I'm in talks with the guy who's making You Are Not The Hero :)

Ashodin

We just announced our special Backer-Only Item: The Name Generator!

0a301088268f92748e76f9a25d0c174b_large.png

I'm sure this will be a lot of fun to program in :lol

phants

Was going to back just to support a GAFfer, ended up backing because the game looks awesome. Pro-tier! Good luck with the campaign :)

Ashodin

Was going to back just to support a GAFfer, ended up backing because the game looks awesome. Pro-tier! Good luck with the campaign :)

Thanks man! We're working hard to include some sweet gameplay, stuff that's never been done before in Puzzle RPGs, and also some crazy cross over stuff if we can swing it!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Uh. So this happened:

ac9eac3c142023a64461701636c739b7_large.png

Since the pledges just went up by a few hundred dollars, I assume that generous person took that one $300 pledge spot :-o

Really cool to support other projects like this.

Ashodin

Since the pledges just went up by a few hundred dollars, I assume that generous person took that one $300 pledge spot :-o

Really cool to support other projects like this.

Oh that's nothing man - ever since the RPS article we've been getting streams of pledges daily. I've got interviews lined up, and I'm trying to get onto like indie games podcasts and such.

Plus y'know, trying to spread the game across as many platforms as possible.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Oh that's nothing man - ever since the RPS article we've been getting streams of pledges daily. I've got interviews lined up, and I'm trying to get onto like indie games podcasts and such.

Plus y'know, trying to spread the game across as many platforms as possible.

I'd love to help more, but unfortunately I am only a small blimp on the radar. I'll post some impressions of the demo once you got around to releasing it at least ;)

Ashodin

Sweet! That will be near the end of the Kickstarter for sure.

I'm tidying up the early tech demo atm to send out to the Kickstarter backers. Be nice to get some tastes out for those who want to know how it plays.

Thores

Okay, this is great. I especially love how much the universe you've built revolves around wordplay. Plunked down $10, might upgrade to the beta tier later if my next paycheck or two is nicer than I'm expecting.

Ashodin

Okay, this is great. I especially love how much the universe you've built revolves around wordplay. Plunked down $10, might upgrade to the beta tier later if my next paycheck or two is nicer than I'm expecting.

Thanks man! I will say that if you have a PC, you can play the early test demo soon after I finish it up.

Ashodin

So as we continue chugging along to the demo near the end of the month, I've started hooking up the healing aspects of the game, because you gotta be able to heal yourself in combat, right?

So during the game, if you start any word with

• H
  • E
  • A
  • L

It will heal you based on the word length. You will also deal damage to your opponent, but at a reduced amount, since you are spending the heal's "magic word" energy to heal you instead of deal damage.

Thus the game becomes a dynamic - do you waste all the heals off the board right away, or do you strategically hold back letters to use? What about your special skills that work with those letters? Do you hold those too? It becomes a game of cat and mouse with cherry picking letters if you desire.

Ashodin

Announcing:

00d097d7fb49fa4962722b1199487f63_large.png

tN7yFA0.jpg

WALL-ACH Mark V2.3
L7Lvmch.jpg

KbIIQzP.png

Last thing I'm working on tonight is beginnings of AI, then it's AI tomorrow.

SuomiDude

Remember this game from the GAF Indie thread. I have slight interest of this game, especially if it hits Wii U, but unfortunately I'm not into donating money for games I can't own right away. Will still keep an eye on this game though.

Ashodin

Remember this game from the GAF Indie thread. I have slight interest of this game, especially if it hits Wii U, but unfortunately I'm not into donating money for games I can't own right away. Will still keep an eye on this game though.

Hey thanks! We appreciate any interest at all, really. :)

Tizoc

Unless its cuz im using an iphone but it doesnt seem to have gotten close to 25% of its goal

batbeg

Unless its cuz im using an iphone but it doesnt seem to have gotten close to 25% of its goal

:( I'm not sure why not, it's such an appealing concept that still hasn't been overplayed by the community, and it looks like it's backed by wonderful aesthetics and great ideas. It needs more coverage!

I think I'm going to up my pledge, I just haven't decided what to yet.

Ashodin

he's a robot with a beard, of course he is happy!

:( I'm not sure why not, it's such an appealing concept that still hasn't been overplayed by the community, and it looks like it's backed by wonderful aesthetics and great ideas. It needs more coverage!

I think I'm going to up my pledge, I just haven't decided what to yet.

We're trying to spread the word as fast and through many mediums as possible. I'm also planning on doing a twitch stream of development, as well as releasing an early demo to backers + LPers and sending out a second wave of emails to the people I've emailed already with the new demo who gave no response. I am not letting up.

Today I'm doing an interview with dj grandpa, a kickstarter podcast.

Toma

I mentioned it before already, but you are wasting precious voting days without the public demo.

Ashodin

PayPal option and I'll back. Looks interesting.

We have one set up on the page now. It's a simple $15 one copy donate button thing.

AH top of my own page, lol

So we will be having a public stream tonight at 9 PM (about an hour from now) to answer any and all questions about APEXICON!

It'll be live at www.twitch.tv/ashodin. See you there!

Top Bottom