• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently Atlus requested removal of all Persona 5 info from RPCS3 site

I'll just say, to anyone wondering why someone might use an emulator to play a game they legally own, consider any turn-based RPGs from your childhood that you loved but feel really slow when you try to play them again. Imagine if you could speed the game up by 500% at the press of a button, or use a fan-made texture hack, in addition to running the game at a higher resolution and more stable framerate than on the original hardware.

balohna

This thread is bizarre, I didn't realize people had such a problem with publishers disliking emulators and wanting to stop their games from being emulated. Of course they do, why wouldn't they? The idea that Atlus is just going after PC players is also ludicrous. Sounds like a legal department just doing stuff they think is good for the company, I doubt the employees involved in this even have strong opinions on console vs. PC.

CookTrain

This thread is bizarre, I didn't realize people had such a problem with publishers disliking emulators and wanting to stop their games from being emulated. Of course they do, why wouldn't they? The idea that Atlus is just going after PC players is also ludicrous. Sounds like a legal department just doing stuff they think is good for the company, I doubt the employees involved in this even have strong opinions on console vs. PC.

The point is, there doesn't appear to be any grounds for them to be able to do this. It's just strongarming a group who aren't in a position to put up much fight.

jmga

I don't understand some people way of thinking.

People are emulating this because Atlus is not bringing it to PC in the first place, so who cares if it is a pirated copy or an original copy, PC users don't have an alternative so the impact is literally 0 for Atlus in the worst case.

Foffy

Banned
I will say that the thread should have been made after the official statement, referred to in the OP itself, was made.

So they can give out a wet fart statement like they did with Persona 5's "DON'T STREAM THE GAME AFTER X DATE IN-GAME" that they applied to all users post-launch?

We don't need a statement to know this is Atlus being dogshit, as usual when it comes to PR and reactions like this.

MUnited83

For you.
There is no legal grounds for this. And not even Nintendo, some of the biggest assholes in terms of legal action, even tried to do anything about CEMU or Dolphin.

People are emulating this because Atlus is not bringing it to PC in the first place, so who cares if it is a pirated copy or an original copy, PC users don't have an alternative so the impact is literally 0 for Atlus in the worst case.

The alternative for pc users is buying a PS3/4 and the game, or if it's possible, doing some sort of rip from the game disc and using the output files to play on PC (I don't know if this is a thing for PS3/4 games).

No game company is required to support every platform, including pc, that's not a justification for piracy.

Ascheroth

They can dislike emulators all they want.
Doesn't change that emulation is legal. And not "a kinda legal grey-zone". It's as legal as it gets.
This is just petty.

madjoki

There is no legal grounds for this. And not even Nintendo, some of the biggest assholes in terms of legal action, even tried to do anything about CEMU or Dolphin.

Doesn't mean you can't bury 'em with legal fees :p

doing some sort of rip from the game disc and using the output files to play on PC (I don't know if this is a thing for PS3/4 games). .

You can do it and that's what emulators are for.

jmga

The alternative for pc users is buying a PS3/4 and the game, or if it's possible, doing some sort of rip from the game disc and using the output files to play on PC (I don't know if this is a thing for PS3/4 games).

No game company is required to support every platform, including pc, that's not a justification for piracy.

That is not an alternative, it defies the purpose of playing the game on PC.

Ascheroth

Yeah, that's possible and that's the intended way to use the emulator.

jmga

No, he's right for the dumping part. What matters is the legality of your copy.
I forgot to highlight the first part.

Obviously Atlus don't want you to buy the game and dump it in order to play legally on the emulator, otherwise they wouldn't be doing this.

Not only this, the emulated version is quickly becoming the superior version (resolution boost and an unlocked frame rate is inevitable for Persona 5) and in the case of something like Breath of the Wild, who can blame PC users for saying "fuck the WiiU/Switch version, I'll play it at ultrawide 4K/60FPS on my machine, with the benefit of user created mods like adding multiplayer". https://youtu.be/aUH_9WarlKM

I have a Switch and I'm 120 hours into my Cemu save. I have like five hours on the Switch version that I bought at release.

MUnited83

For you.
Not only this, the emulated version is quickly becoming the superior version (resolution boost and an unlocked frame rate is inevitable for Persona 5) and in the case of something like Breath of the Wild, who can blame PC users for saying "fuck the WiiU/Switch version, I'll play it at ultrawide 4K/60FPS on my machine". https://youtu.be/aUH_9WarlKM

I have a Switch and I'm 120 hours into my Cemu save. I have like five hours on the Switch version that I bought at release.
Funnily enough Persona 5 already has unlocked framerate, no need for a patch/mod even :)

hemo memo

Gold Member
They were also the first publisher I can think of to actually region lock a significant PS3 game. They are also one of the few publishers who threatened streamers not to stream beyond a certain point in the game. Soon they will be one of the only publishers who will a PS4 remaster of a 5 year old PS3/Vita title in Japan for almost 80 dollars without any content additions.

Atlus likes to be unique in a lot of things.

Maybe they're jealous of past EA and aim for the reward?

Durante

No other company does this.

Just like region-locked PS3 games, or preventing screenshots for most of their games for that matter.

jrcbandit

It's obvious he meant to say that a vast, vast majority of people using emulators are doing so with piracy in mind. Is this disputable?

That's exactly what I meant, lol. I exaggerated it with a specific number, sue me ;p. Even people who are good about owning more modern games that they emulate like Zelda Breath of the Wild and other WiiU games, they often still pirate older games, especially arcade titles.

In any case, my primary point was Atlus taking these actions are idiotic as all it did was bring attention to the fact that P5 could be emulated on a PC.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Not entirely. The game locked PS4 built in share features in story scenes. My PS4 kept telling me when it was possible or not to do it.

?

I am fairly confident that they blocked the screenshot capture in all instances of the game in Berseria, during story beats and also gameplay.

Edit: except arena areas, it would seem. But still, its like 99% of the game being blocked for no good reason at all.

dhlt25

as a huge Atlus fan they are absolutely in the wrong here. No defense for their dumbass action. I hope progress will move quickly on the emulator so that I can play P5 without the annoying border and more music, that would be awesome.

Leb

I see nothing wrong with Atlus' approach here. Indeed, until we can address the economic, cultural and institutional factors that force individuals to resort to PC gaming, it will fall to courageous companies like Atlus to serve as a bulwark against the ever-growing scourge of open platforms.

IIRC all PS3 decryption keys are floating around on the internet and PS3 discs are just standard Blueray (the decryption of which is also known) so anyone with a PC Blueray drive should be able to dump a copy of P5 if they own the disc.

You could also use someone else's hacked PS3 to dump a copy of the disc assuming you owned it.

wazoo

I see nothing wrong with Atlus' approach here. Indeed, until we can address the economic, cultural and institutional factors that force individuals to resort to PC gaming, it will fall to courageous companies like Atlus to serve as a bulwark against the ever-growing scourge of open platforms.

Thank you. Someone had to stand up.

The funny part with all that affair is that the results are none. Removing screenshots and a name from a text file ? they did not even asked for closing the site or something similar.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Don't get your hopes up and don't be surprised if they're just being dicks that have no intention of bringing these games which clearly have an audience to our platform.

Sure, but imo some exceptions apart the era of permanent third party exclusives is ended, everything could go everywhere(except many japanese games on XB1 i guess), so when i look at an exclusive i always consider it a temporal exclusive that could later come to other platforms if there's the chance of good money and if the target platforms are powerful enough for it.

Totally OT but honestly i was always against the idea of a single console for the market's sake but if the reason to buy a console or the other is just first party support is it really convenient for us and third party developers to have many platforms? Imo it would be better for gamers and third party developers to have a single (hybrid?)console with sony, ms and nintendo first parties becoming that console's third parties.

McNum

Huh, RPCS3 is a decent Playstation 3 emulator that can even run Persona 5? Neat, thanks for the heads up, Atlus! I had no idea.

Good old Streisand Effect. The best way to tell the world the one thing you don't want it to know. Works every time.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Ass move, but what can you expect. Nevertheless, it's not something that will ever impact the development of RPCS3 in any meaningful way. I expect them to use a "This is not Half-Life 2 Episode 3" approach to this situation.

Let me search for "Alter Ego V" in the compatibility list. It's a game about a group of "Ghostly Robbers of Cardiac Muscles" in Kyoto who explore the "Alter-universe". Hopefully its protagonist, "Jester", is rendered correctly and the ability to "call in" "evil entities" works as intended.

Huh, RPCS3 is a decent Playstation 3 emulator that can even run Persona 5? Neat, thanks for the heads up, Atlus! I had no idea.

Good old Streisand Effect. The best way to tell the world the one thing you don't want it to know. Works every time.

Decent is being a bit generous, but it's by far the best one, and very impressive for it's relatively young age given the clusterf that is emulating the PS3s unique hardware architecture.

Cool so magically Valve should of joint funded this game with Sony?

madjoki

IIRC all PS3 decryption keys are floating around on the internet and PS3 discs are just standard Blueray (the decryption of which is also known) so anyone with a PC Blueray drive should be able to dump a copy of P5 if they own the disc.

You could also use someone else's hacked PS3 to dump a copy of the disc assuming you owned it.

Not all BD drives can read PS3 discs. Best option is drive that uses specific Mediatek chipset. (Same is true for PS4 discs when its time comes).

Well, this sure will do wonders with informing more people they can play Persona 5 on PC through emulation. :D Nice job Atlus.

This is a very good point.

No, it most certainly isn't, but for all the stink publishers and developers seem to raise about piracy, some of them do very little to encourage sales of legitimate copies. On one hand you have a developer that refuses to port a game to a different platform and on the other hand you have customers that refuse to buy into a different platform for that game. The end result is that the developer will get no sales from that audience.

Deft Beck

This makes no sense to me. Following the same rules of almost all other emulatable games, as long as you own a copy of the game and have the means to make a digital file of it, you can legally emulate it.

I don't believe in the immediate predicate of piracy for emulation in all cases. This is overstepping on Atlus' part and has dangerous implications.

How? I'm sure Atlus has zero legal ground in this case.

Unlikely for the compatibility list. Probably for the assets / artwork beside a donation link.

rpcs32vjh8.png

Lynx_7

Well, this sure will do wonders with informing more people they can play Persona 5 on PC through emulation. :D Nice job Atlus.
Maybe that was their intention all along. Some bigwig on Atlus Japan was reading his very important papers as he sips a cup of coffee until suddenly he spits it all over his table with a perplexed look. "What is this!?", he exclaims. "The 'Persona 5 ON RPCS3' thread on NeoGAF didn't even get to a 100 pages?! What nonsense is this? Ooooh, time to bring the DRAMA! Kaneko-chan, hold my coffee, I got some calls to make"
Atlus with that next level marketing.

_Ryo_

I dont see how Atlus has any legal right to do this. It is not infringing on their copyright or on their trademark to say if the game works on an Emulator.

I don't see how it is different than listing games that are turned based, or are too long, or are the best, or have dungeons.

If the list said "Officially made capatible with RPCS3 with Atlus's permission" and implied that Atlus condones it, it would be a different story. Right now it is just a name in a long list of a certain discriptor.

They do most likely have the legal right to remove screenshots of the game, but forcing the removal pf the name doesnt seem right to me.

I have a random question. I've been playing P5 for the last couple of months (going to beat it today) and the game has been blocked from streaming from the first day to the last. I thought there was talk that it was from a certain date on and that date had changed a couple of times? Did they just completely go back on that and decide to block the entire game?

Every single trophy that I get, it tells me it can't take a screenshot. Every time I boot the game it has to remind me that we're blocked. It's obnoxious over 90 hours.

Top Bottom