• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently, the world's oldest human was discovered in Indonesia at the "age of 145."

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

I have no idea about Indonesian food. I can't think of any recipes from their cuisine I might have had.

What are common foods in Indonesia to eat? With their wildlife and plant life I wonder if they eat very different things from the others in less unique climates.

No idea.

I was just referring to the poverty angle. Poor third world populations usually eat the same stuff every meal and they don't really suffer from as much diseases of civilization from over nourishment.

Think beans and rice, sweet potatoes, potatoes(remember the Irish potato famine), corn. Meat is usually too expensive and rarer in the diet.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Can you even imagine being 70-80 years old, and then living essentially an entire full length life after that.

I understand people saying they wouldn't want to live that long but I mean hell, at a certain point can't you just relinquish your entire life to watching movies/tv, playing games, and listening to music, exercising in between? I mean that sounds better than just accepting the eternal abyss.

The article mentions he mostly listens to the radio now, since his eyesight gave way and his state is rapidly deteriorating.

Can you even imagine being 70-80 years old, and then living essentially an entire full length life after that.

I understand people saying they wouldn't want to live that long but I mean hell, at a certain point can't you just relinquish your entire life to watching movies/tv, playing games, and listening to music, exercising in between? I mean that sounds better than just accepting the eternal abyss.

this is exactly what i think when i hear people say they don't want to live to be old

i mean sure i'll probably run out of money and not be able to sustain that lifestyle but i don't see any reason why not to try if you get the chance. i mean i was bedridden for most of a year when i had half a toe amputated but i still was able to enjoy bs entertainment despite being in insane nonstop pain, beats being in a coma or dead

There's no way in hell this isn't the result of a decades-old clerical error or an erroneous reading of records. I wouldn't surprised if he's legitimately among the oldest living people in the world, but nah, not 140+.

Oppo

I like the Woody Allen quote

" I don't want to live forever. I just don't want to die. "

I once read that most mammals on earth live six times their maturity age, which seems to put humans at 120. that seems like the right length to me. somehow.

I call BS as well. Especially coming from a developing country.

My mom, who is born at home in the Philippines, didn't even have an official birth certificate until she had to go to the US when she was working for Intel Philippines. She had to go back to her province, track down the midwife and she had to swear an oath testifying that my mom was born on the dates she specified at her hometown.

I have no idea about Indonesian food. I can't think of any recipes from their cuisine I might have had.

What are common foods in Indonesia to eat? With their wildlife and plant life I wonder if they eat very different things from the others in less unique climates.

Probably similar to the rural diet in the Philippines: tons of rice, tons of veggies and some fish here and there for protein.

It's hard to take the claim at face value when the current record for longest living person that was independently verified was 122, 33 years less than this claim.

mr stroke

Exactly

Id read every book, watch every movie, marathon GoT 4 times over, get to Grandmaster league in StarCraft, etc.

Why vanish into nothing when the world has so much awesome stuff to consume

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

because you hurt, you're tired all the time, you're weak, doing normal things even going to the bathroom is energy and time consuming. You're friends and loved ones have either moved on, or died.

Mechazawa

Are we talking about from the viewpoint of your body actually holding up?

At a certain point, life is literally pain.

gun_haver

Exactly

Id read every book, watch every movie, marathon GoT 4 times over, get to Grandmaster league in StarCraft, etc.

Why vanish into nothing when the world has so much awesome stuff to consume

yeah i guess i agree.

the pain of outliving your entire social support structure to the point where you are just completely alone and the world is only interested in you as a curiosity sounds tough.

but fuck it that would take what, 20 minutes out of your day? i'd love to have infinite time to read and watch and listen to all of the best stuff we've made.

i mean i'd probably get frustrated and want to join in as i am now, but i'm 27. i'd hope by 90 or so i'd have some perspective.

god damn.

why do we have to die.

fuck dying.

LAM09

It could be seen as a gift to live as long (providing it's true), but I can't imagine how he must feel outliving four wifes and all his children.

No idea.

I was just referring to the poverty angle. Poor third world populations usually eat the same stuff every meal and they don't really suffer from as much diseases of civilization from over nourishment.

Think beans and rice, sweet potatoes, potatoes(remember the Irish potato famine), corn. Meat is usually too expensive and rarer in the diet.

I was thinking plant based whole foods diet as well. I guess this proves it

paskowitz

Dude still has fair bit of muscle left, regardless of his exact age. I've seen many people near death look far worse than that. Pretty impressive.

Yeah, bad record keeping seems like a way more plausible explanation than him crushing the previous record by like two decades.

I think women just tend to live longer in general. They always seem to have + a couple of years on males in those avg life span by country breakdowns.

That's usually do to higher male death tolls in our twenties. It's why your car insurance in that demographic is more expensive.

Mariolee

Having volunteered medically extensively in Indonesia, there are plenty of healthy people who claimed they were a hundred years old. Not verifiable at the moment I met them, but olenty of the villagers vetted.

Little worry far from the outside world, stress kills us.

Speevy

Banned
What if he's not 145 but he met the guy who was 145 and killed him?

Then he stole his identity.

This impostor is only 144.

Omadahl

Banned
A long life is something to be desired but outliving my daughter would be a nightmare. I'm having Lost Odyssey flashbacks.

hqdefault.jpg

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So he was basically a 70 yr old man at the start of WW2 and is still alive today. Fucking crazy if true.

It's seriously mind blowing. I hope it's true.

I've seen people in my third world country live beyond 90 years, when back when they were born life expectancy was decades shorter.

7 billion people in this planet. I'm sure this man could be one of those fascinating people.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Oh man the feels... :c

The rough side of living so long.

Damn...he sounds like a super hero.

I think that's the ultimate curse of living forever or a long time...seeing all those around you that you love n care about pass away and you still be alive.

I cant even imagine....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom