• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently, the world's oldest human was discovered in Indonesia at the "age of 145."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfe

To be seen if true or not, but I don't know why people are using statistics to say how this can't be true. Obviously if this ends up being true, he's an outlier, and outliers can and do exist in multiple fields. This wouldn't change those statistics, it would just mean this man ended up being a serious outlier if true.

This right here.

Dude straight up looks 145 lol.

Famassu

Isn't it usually women who live longer anyhow? Wonder what makes this guy such an outlier, or perhaps it's just bad record-keeping. ;)
There are reasons why men die younger on average, it's not some genetic thing that men's bodies just crap out earlier or something. Men have more unhealthy habits (more men smoke, men drink more alcohol, men's diets are worse on average etc.) which leads to more men suffering from stuff like cancer and heart problems more or earlier than women do, men can be more reckless on average which leads to their earlier deaths, men do more dangerous work on average that have higher risk of death (i.e. construction work, police work) than jobs women are more common in (teachers, healthcare, sales, office work) and things like that, which all add up to men having a slightly lower life-expectancy.

the_id

As one who grew up watching a ton of Indonesian media, all of which were fake such as a mini series of people trapping ghosts, a mini series of ghost hauntings and black magic, I don't believe this to be real.

I'd like to be proven wrong, but I'm a skeptic when it comes to an Indonesian source.

The thought of living through nearly one and a half centuries is pretty crazy. Imagine all the shit that went by in that person's life span.

Steel

Banned
Can you even imagine being 70-80 years old, and then living essentially an entire full length life after that.

I understand people saying they wouldn't want to live that long but I mean hell, at a certain point can't you just relinquish your entire life to watching movies/tv, playing games, and listening to music, exercising in between? I mean that sounds better than just accepting the eternal abyss.

I wouldn't mind it so much if I could live healthily for that long, but, since that's not an option yet...

FStop7

Banned
It's an extraordinary claim so of course it's reasonable to be skeptical. But I wouldn't just dismiss it out of hand, either.

If this is indeed true, this would make him older than the first gasoline-powered automobile.

The first gasoline-powered automobile was invented in 1886, making him 16 years older than it if true.
Cool, so he could start driving right when the first car was rolled out.

You know, under modern American standards.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It's an extraordinary claim so of course it's reasonable to be skeptical. But I wouldn't just dismiss it out of hand, either.

It's extraordinary to the point of not being reasonable. Especially since this hinges on the accuracy of record keeping in 19th century Indonesia. This isn't just pushing the boundary, it leapfrogs over it. Someone claiming to be 110+ is reason enough to be skeptical. What a lot of the ridiculous longevity claims have in common is they're usually in remote areas and developing countries. There have been people who claim to be almost 200. That's about as reasonable as this, as far as I'm concerned.

Raiden

Banned
He smokes, has more hair than some 20 year olds and can still walk around. I would say he does not look like a 140 year old, but then again what does a 140 year old look like normally?

Not buying it. Always seems like these claims come from underdeveloped countries where they conveniently cannot properly verify these claims.

what does a 140 year old look like normally?

Like this

category3_family_236_large.jpg

Mahonay

Banned
Reading this it feels obvious that there's a 99 percent chance that it's a false claim, but it would be truly amazing if true.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
can we carbon date his bones or something. jesus.

dude is over 115 years older than me. i'll be glad to reach 80.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
One of the few things that science has basically confirmed makes you live measurably longer is extreme calorie restriction.

i wish I had the self control to starve myself.

Pryce

One of the few things that science has basically confirmed makes you live measurably longer is extreme calorie restriction.

i wish I had the self control to starve myself.

Is there a source on this? I'm curious.

This would be insane if true. Holy shit.

Joni

It is not true. It is always not true. It happens every couple of years, after which it is quietly discredited and forgotten.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's extraordinary to the point of not being reasonable. Especially since this hinges on the accuracy of record keeping in 19th century Indonesia. This isn't just pushing the boundary, it leapfrogs over it. Someone claiming to be 110+ is reason enough to be skeptical. What a lot of the ridiculous longevity claims have in common is they're usually in remote areas and developing countries. There have been people who claim to be almost 200. That's about as reasonable as this, as far as I'm concerned.

Yes. It'd be like if someone told you "there's someone faster than Usain Bolt... he runs the 100m in 5 seconds." or "there's someone taller than the tallest man ever: he's 11 feet tall."

Here are the two alternatives:
- A man is several standard deviations older than the actual oldest person who ever lived
OR
- Indonesia in the late 19th century had inadequate government records

HMD

Imagine being 70 years old, expecting death to come get you anytime soon, but you somehow keep living for 70 more years. That's fucking depressing, I wouldn't wanna live for that long.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Yes. It'd be like if someone told you "there's someone faster than Usain Bolt... he runs the 100m in 5 seconds." or "there's someone taller than the tallest man ever: he's 11 feet tall."

- A man is several standard deviations older than the actual oldest person who ever lived
OR

This is my opinion as well. But I'd like to add that since this man claims to have been born in 1870 there should (hopefully) be at least some robust 19th century evidence of his early adult life. I mean 30 years is a long time, and even if it couldn't be proven that he was actually born any earlier than 1890 it would still be very impressive.

Hazmat

OR

Yeah, this is someone beating the previous record by doing 18% (nearly 19%) "better." It's true that the statistics don't categorically prove that this is impossible, but they demonstrate how incredibly unlikely it is to have one single outlier that's this far ahead in a data set for which we have literally billions of data points.

And the alternative is that there is a combination of bad memory, bad record-keeping, or a hoax.

Jimrpg

OR

Living here in South East Asia, I can tell you that there's no way this guy is 145. There must some sort of error on his birth certificate.

I call bullshit. They way our bodies are made, they can't live that long. Pushing 120, ... a stretch, but maybe. But living nearly a century and a half? That requires genetic manipulation.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
To be a 145 years old and still be walking, he is using a cane but still if true, and it isnt like slow walking either

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
How would one go about investigating this claim scientifically?

I guess you'd start by identifying the man's oldest living relative and then DNA testing both of them to verify the relation?
So if there's a 90 year old that claims to be this man's grandchild that could be verified, but can we do better?

Joni

How would one go about investigating this claim scientifically?

I guess you'd start by identifying the man's oldest living relative and then DNA testing both of them to verify the relation?
So if there's a 90 year old that claims to be this man's grandchild that could be verified, but can we do better?
There is a Danish team that claims they can accurately tell age via the eyes or something.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
There is a Danish team that claims they can accurately tell age via the eyes or something.

I'd be really interested to know if there was a way to determine age or identity without relying on comparisons to relatives, let alone documentation.
Could someone in 2016 present a picture of themselves as a baby and actually be able to prove it was really them?

I'm also going to call BS on this. I feel like we would've heard about this guy A LONG time ago if it was legitimate. I'm not doubting he's really old, but 145? Come on.

I remember reading about this guy years ago. He's only in the news now that his age has been semi-confirmed.

Pluto

I don't believe this story, not for a second.

The actual confirmed oldest people all lived into their 110s with only ONE person ever making it into the 120s and now I'm supposed to believe this guy just walks around at 145 and all the 50 or 60 year olds in his village never noticed that he has been ancient their entire lifes?
Looking at the video he's probably in his 80s or 90s.

And I don't care if he has documentation, that's not proof in itself, it could be a forgery, a typo etc., I want real proof, not a piece of paper from a corrupt country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom