• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple AirPods | OT | Try not to lose them

holygeesus

Banned
I get that (and I'm curious to see how Apple improves the AirPods and the Apple Pencil in the future) but I feel like eventually Apple's going to want to get rid of the Lightning port too.

You could easily make the case wireless charge surely? If they can a watch they shouldn't have much trouble.

Vuze

I wonder, have there been rumors about the AirPods before the announcement last year? Just curious if we should expect a "Series 2" this year.

All I really want from a revision would be a slimmer stem with the same battery life and perhaps intelligent device switching. Wireless charging for the case would be dope too though, good point 🤔

You could easily make the case wireless charge surely? If they can a watch they shouldn't have much trouble.

Watch charging is both slow and not wireless. Inductive charging is not really wireless!

Maybe they get to a point where they can charge a room or a house wirelessly, but that seems a way off, and considering the price of AirPods and their competitors, expecting them to put them in the box within 2 years seems not likely to happen.

I assume the gameplay is pure wireless, but that probably won't happen soon.

Edit: Also, they can't meet demand with the AirPods more than half a year later, so there's not going to be a new version this year.

My official guess is that AirPods will be in the box by 2021, five years after their introduction. But by then they'll have a second or third model they'll be happy to sell you

All I really want from a revision would be a slimmer stem with the same battery life and perhaps intelligent device switching. Wireless charging for the case would be dope too though, good point ��

'Hey Siri' support would be great but colossally unrealistic w/r/t battery life.

That said, yeah, some sort of smarter Handoff 2.0 that intelligently decides which device is your current 'primary' and plays the audio from that one to your AirPods without requiring you to choose outputs would be brilliant, and it'd take the existing 'magic'/bluetooth secret sauce factor to the next level. A tough nut to crack when people are using multiple devices at once, but theoretically pretty straightforward when you're using one at a time.

My official guess is that AirPods will be in the box by 2021, five years after their introduction. But by then they'll have a second or third model they'll be happy to sell you

I wouldn't put it past Apple for the device to be completely wireless by 2021, with Wireless Charging being the only way to charge it. They're already there with the Apple Watch.

When that happens, AirPods will come with the iPhone.

I wouldn't put it past Apple for the device to be completely wireless by 2021, with Wireless Charging being the only way to charge it. They're already there with the Apple Watch.

When that happens, AirPods will come with the iPhone.

Normally I would say that's crazy, but wireless syncing to a computer has been a thing for years (and is continually being depreciated for cloud syncing) and wireless deployment of Xcode projects has been announced. The only stickler is restoring OS software. Right now you have to mail Apple Watches out to get that done through a special diagnostic port, wonder what solution the phones would have

Normally I would say that's crazy, but wireless syncing to a computer has been a thing for years (and is continually being depreciated for cloud syncing) and wireless deployment of Xcode projects has been announced. The only stickler is restoring OS software. Right now you have to mail Apple Watches out to get that done through a special diagnostic port, wonder what solution the phones would have

I can definitely see Apple implementing an Internet Recovery option for iPhones similar to what Macs have had since 2011 or so.

holygeesus

Banned
Watch charging is both slow and not wireless. Inductive charging is not really wireless!

Maybe they get to a point where they can charge a room or a house wirelessly, but that seems a way off, and considering the price of AirPods and their competitors, expecting them to put them in the box within 2 years seems not likely to happen.

I assume the gameplay is pure wireless, but that probably won't happen soon.

Edit: Also, they can't meet demand with the AirPods more than half a year later, so there's not going to be a new version this year.

Even inductive charging would do away with the lighting port though. That's super quick on the Apple Watch. Certainly enough to charge some headphones.

This was strange, but the other night I had two separate audio sources coming out of my AirPods. The right one was hooked up to my phone and the left was connected to my iPad. I was in the same room as both devices when I connected, so I don't know how they got split like that, but it was really neat! I was listening to music in one ear and a podcast in another!

Obviously a bug/fluke, but I do sort of wish I could toggle it on my own.

giga

I returned the earskinz because they dramatically cut off the mids with their dumb grille in front of the speaker. Might try these instead: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019BREFE4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Wow, ok I just got these and they're awesome. If you're at all having any fit issues go with these. They even improve the bass response and noise isolation as well since it gives you a tighter fit. They have cutouts for the sensors so auto pause and play all work fine.

Best Buy has these up for immediate shipping if anyone is still looking. First chance I've had to get a pair so I'll try them out. Have a friend who wants them if I decide to not keep them anyway.

Do you guys think Apple are gonna make a second gen for this year? I’m close to ordering but don’t wanna get them if they’re getting a new version.

btkadams

What’s stopping someone from making a charging case for the AirPod case (wraps around it and plugs into the lightning port) that has an Apple Watch charging pad on the back so it can just be snapped onto an Apple Watch Charger? That could be cool.

Kurdel

Banned
What’s stopping someone from making a charging case for the AirPod case (wraps around it and plugs into the lightning port) that has an Apple Watch charging pad on the back so it can just be snapped onto an Apple Watch Charger? That could be cool.

I would kill for this.

Anyone else have problems with the airpod hurting their ear? Only one ear hurts while wearing them, I think it's because the left airpod has a seam in it that isn't as flush as the right one. Thinking about exchanging them at the apple store eventually when they actually have replacement stock.

Yeah even in drizzly conditions I get issues with slight drop-outs in sound. Not sure if it was that or some other interference at the time, but it's the first time I have used them in the rain.

I’ve used them in the rain and never experienced an issue... yet. Not saying it hasn’t experienced water damage, just nothing noticeable yet

gamma

I think they should add a push notification once the charging case reaches a certain battery percentage. Since the AirPods are already in my ears when connecting to them, I don't see the cases battery charge in the AirPlay menu or battery widget. And I don't pay that much attention to the status led. A few times my AirPods weren't fully charged because I didn't realize the cases battery had died.

per thread title, i did indeed lose my airpods and i highly recommend you try not to. got beats x as a replacement, and they're... not a good replacement. they do sound better outdoors but putting them on is a pain and you can't just leave them in and forget about them.

really hard to go back to any other kind of earbud after using airpods. there are obvious drawbacks but you learn to work around them, whereas the advantage is simply irreplaceable.

per thread title, i did indeed lose my airpods and i highly recommend you try not to. got beats x as a replacement, and they're... not a good replacement. they do sound better outdoors but putting them on is a pain and you can't just leave them in and forget about them.

really hard to go back to any other kind of earbud after using airpods. there are obvious drawbacks but you learn to work around them, whereas the advantage is simply irreplaceable.

I’m sorry about you losing them. If I ever did I would just immediately pony up the $160 for a replacement, I can’t live without these things

holygeesus

Banned
I’ve used them in the rain and never experienced an issue... yet. Not saying it hasn’t experienced water damage, just nothing noticeable yet

I was on a mountain and soaked through at the time, so it *was* a harsh test. I had the water warning on my Apple Watch too, so maybe that was to blame. Either way, I won't be too critical at this stage.

I’m sorry about you losing them. If I ever did I would just immediately pony up the $160 for a replacement, I can’t live without these things

i would have, too, but they're somehow still on 6-week shipping! i only got mine in the first place because i was lucky enough to wander into an apple store that just got restocked when i was on vacation in toronto over christmas.

when both products were announced i wasn't sure which i'd prefer, since the pros and cons of each seemed pretty obvious, so i thought i'd try beats x now and maybe hold out for a new version or color of airpods later on.

i mean they're fine really — way better design than any other neckbuds i've tried, and W1/lightning makes them a good option for what they are. i just didn't quite appreciate how hard it would be to go back to this kind of thing after using airpods for six months.

i would have, too, but they're somehow still on 6-week shipping! i only got mine in the first place because i was lucky enough to wander into an apple store that just got restocked when i was on vacation in toronto over christmas.

when both products were announced i wasn't sure which i'd prefer, since the pros and cons of each seemed pretty obvious, so i thought i'd try beats x now and maybe hold out for a new version or color of airpods later on.

i mean they're fine really — way better design than any other neckbuds i've tried, and W1/lightning makes them a good option for what they are. i just didn't quite appreciate how hard it would be to go back to this kind of thing after using airpods for six months.

Right, the six week shipping is still rough (and still shocking to be honest, we’re way past the point of “hyping up demand” and into “actual production issues”)

Vuze

Seems like the right charging spot in my case or the right AirPod is borked. Won’t charge unless it’s in a certain position and I just saw a red exclamation mark next to it in the pop up screen for the first time. Annoying, barely over 6 months old and I treated all parts very well, no single drop, nothing. Guess I’ll file a ticket on Monday if it isn’t magically fixed over the weekend.

E: Seems like I’m not the first to experience this. Appears to be either lint (I can’t spot any) or the case contacts. mrgrgr

Seems like the right charging spot in my case or the right AirPod is borked. Won’t charge unless it’s in a certain position and I just saw a red exclamation mark next to it in the pop up screen for the first time. Annoying, barely over 6 months old and I treated all parts very well, no single drop, nothing. Guess I’ll file a ticket on Monday if it isn’t magically fixed over the weekend.

E: Seems like I’m not the first to experience this. Appears to be either lint (I can’t spot any) or the case contacts. mrgrgr

This happened to me once. Wipe the EarPods down best you can, especially the bottom, and maybe blow into the case and use a qtip gently. Hope that works for you.

Juice

Man I hate to say it but iOS 11 makes it even more obnoxious to switch AirPods between iOS devices. That should be so easy and instantaneous but instead it takes 30 seconds and fails half the time

Man I hate to say it but iOS 11 makes it even more obnoxious to switch AirPods between iOS devices. That should be so easy and instantaneous but instead it takes 30 seconds and fails half the time

I chalk that up to beta stuff. I every major release they seem to rewrite parts of their Bluetooth stack

I was thinking the other day what I would want from a version 2, and I got an idea. "Smart buffering". I want storage on the AirPods themselves, but I don't want to manage that data. Also, considering the size, I don't want a whole lot. What I imagine is that I'm listening to audio, on any device through any player, and the AirPods would buffer whatever I'm listening to, or perhaps what I'm going to listen to. If it is a podcast, it somehow caches a the entire podcast to the AirPod (or best it can) so I don't get dropouts when I've gone too far from my Bluetooth device. Same for music, except maybe it can cache the current and next song.

I know some would want like 8GB of storage so they can just exercise or whatever with the AirPods without a watch or an iPhone, but I think maybe mine would be realistic enough for everyday use.

Hattori

Banned
Just got mine as well, these are so sweet. Sound quality is way better than the asking price for wireless buds. You get a rich and full sound without having that vacuum feel inside your ears. I'm retiring my Jaybirds and making these my all-around go-to's.

kaskade

First off, I fucking love my airpods.

I got a free pair of BeatsX with my iPad Pro and I was going to try and sell them. Seems like the value kind of dropped as expected so they’re going for like 80 on ebay. I’d end up clearing maybe 70 bucks at that rate so I’d rather just keep them. I’m flying next week and airpods are pretty bad with noise isolation so that’s even more of a reason to keep them. Airpods are pretty much perfect for me since my listening habits are about 80% podcasts at this point. I am kind of curious how the beatsX will be in comparison though, I’m going to try them out when I get home.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
First off, I fucking love my airpods.

I got a free pair of BeatsX with my iPad Pro and I was going to try and sell them. Seems like the value kind of dropped as expected so they’re going for like 80 on ebay. I’d end up clearing maybe 70 bucks at that rate so I’d rather just keep them. I’m flying next week and airpods are pretty bad with noise isolation so that’s even more of a reason to keep them. Airpods are pretty much perfect for me since my listening habits are about 80% podcasts at this point. I am kind of curious how the beatsX will be in comparison though, I’m going to try them out when I get home.

I like them a lot for listening on the train where the noise cancellation helps, and sometimes with one ear out if I want to hear what’s going on around me. I use the mostly for podcasts and really appreciate the wired remote for skipping sections.

kaskade

Guess I can give a little comparison now if anyone is trying to decide between the BeatsX and AirPods now.

Sound quality, beatsX. I think it's more to the nature of the sealed design that gives this a slight edge, especially in bass response. I have really no issues with the quality in sound on the AirPods since most of my listening is podcasts. If they were sealed, there probably wouldn't be as much of a noticeable difference. The BeatsX also have better noise isolation, so take that into consideration. Most of my listening is done in a quieter environment so I don't have much of an issue. If you are traveling a lot, taking trains and things like that and you really want to drown out everyone BeatsX might be a better fit.

Comfort is going to be different for everyone, I found a nice fit for the BeatsX since they give you a few options in regards to the ips. Unfortunately the AirPods are one size so if they don't work for you there's not much you can do. AirPods fit me fine though so if I have them in my ears I actually can pretty much forget about them. With a sealed in ear design I always tend to feel them a bit.

Now probably the biggest difference is the wireless-ness of the two. Obviously the BeatsX has the wire that rests on the back of the neck connecting the buds. The AirPods are truly wireless. BeatsX feel like a really good version of most of the bluetooth earphones I have used in the past, especially with the quick pairing of the W1 chip. They're more comfortable since they put the guts on the neck part of the wires making it so you don't have those big oversized buds in your ears. AirPods are god damn magical though, slipping them into the ear with no feeling of wires at all is something I've dreamed about as a kid. In terms of comfort and convenience I would choose the Airpods anyday.

Overall I'd give it to the AirPods. The only considerations I would take if you were looking to decide is the fit, some people have an ear that just doesn't work with the AirPods. Also, noise isolation. The non sealed design of the AirPods don't lend themselves well to noisy environments.

I don't understand how adjusting volume/changing tracks works with AirPods - do I have to do that through my phone? Is this something likely to be fixed or implemented in future updates?

Vuze

I don't understand how adjusting volume/changing tracks works with AirPods - do I have to do that through my phone? Is this something likely to be fixed or implemented in future updates?
You can skip tracks by double tapping them in iOS 11 if you so desire. Volume needs to be set by Siri/phone/iPad/watch etc indeed

Guess Who

Banned
Would it be worth buying them now or waiting for the inevitable AirPods 2.0 announced in September?

I don't expect them to make a new model of AirPods this year. Their earbuds have always been on very long refresh cycles, and they haven't even been able to produce the current AirPods in sufficient volume yet much less a more advanced model.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Do you guys think Apple are gonna make a second gen for this year? I’m close to ordering but don’t wanna get them if they’re getting a new version.
I highly doubt it. They still can't make them fast enough to meet demand and what major feature would they add? Wireless charging the case? they really don't need it IMO. Plus they are still getting better via software updates.

br3wnor

I really hope there won’t be a 2.0 so soon. I can’t wait to get my AirPods next month.

I wouldn’t worry. I honestly don’t know what they could do to 2.0 that would make them that much better. The battery life and sound are fine and I don’t see them adding any buttons or anything that would let you control volume, I’d imagine the double tap feature will remain the same. AirPods as they currently stand are incredible and EVEN if they did release a 2.0 I don’t see what they would change to make them any better. You will not be dissapointed w/ your purchase, I can promise you that.

holygeesus

Banned
I wouldn’t worry. I honestly don’t know what they could do to 2.0 that would make them that much better. The battery life and sound are fine and I don’t see them adding any buttons or anything that would let you control volume, I’d imagine the double tap feature will remain the same. AirPods as they currently stand are incredible and EVEN if they did release a 2.0 I don’t see what they would change to make them any better. You will not be dissapointed w/ your purchase, I can promise you that.

Agree with this. It looks like improvements are being made with the next iOS anyway e.g. changing what double-tap does on each bud. There is literally no reason to wait IMO. They are as rock solid as a Gen 1 Apple product has been.

Vuze

Would it be worth buying them now or waiting for the inevitable AirPods 2.0 announced in September?
As others have pointed out, don't expect AirPods 2.0 in September. Production hasn't even caught up seven months after release. There have been a few patents made public that could hint at what Apple is planning for the next revision (waterproof charging case that will double as wireless charger for Watch and iPhone, magnets for better in-ear-keeping, noise cancellation and biometric sensor...) but most certainly not this year.

They consistently improve them by firmware updates and updates to iOS (such as the new gestures). I wouldn't be surprised if there's more to come.

Top Bottom