• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple conference: New redesigned MacBooks. Thinest and lightest ever made

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBigBoy

I was looking for a laptop for collage at the end of this year. I think this laptop is great for storing in my backpack because of the weight and size, but what about the keyboard? I hope the travel on the keys is too low for my taste.

I've used the Surface 2 keyboard which also has low travel. Is this comparable to the new Macbook?

Burger

How many times are people going to say "You're just not a part of the market that this is for." When people criticize a bad game, people don't tend to just say they aren't part of the market the game is for.

People who criticise a bad game usually have to play it for a few hours first.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious if people would have been happier with two USBC ports and a 20-30 dollar adapter for a headphone jack.

So how long before Thunderbolt and Lightning are both replaced by USB-C?
Port convergence is a good thing in the long run, but it does seem like a bit of a slap in the face after they just finished pushing everyone towards their proprietary(-ish) standards.

Will TB be replaced by USB-C? Yeah, providing the push to 4K outstrips Thunderbolt's ability to daisychain displays.

Lightning? Probably not, mid term. Lightning is still smaller and Apple owns the standard. I don't think Apple would switch unless Lightning reaches an end-of-road tech position (like, if they really wanted iOS devices to have USB/TB support, or if they needed a lot more bandwidth and just couldn't get it). "A slap to the face" isn't necessarily wrong, but it's pretty easy to see how Apple themselves pushed the USB forum into these upgrades.

In any case, it's the future, but it's the "limited production" future. No other USBC devices exist right now. I'm sure their ability to manufacture is pretty limited. That will open up later as the PC market gets in on the action, but for now they can charge what they want because nobody else is pumping out USBC devices and platforms. That's why you don't see the 13" MBPR with these ports - Apple is letting the NMB ride the future wave while everything else waits on the market to catch up.

DOWN

Banned
My running theory is that they're targeting the 10k iWatch audience with this.
That or they're just trying to lend a hand to MS on marketing Surface 3.
Surface commercials practically are Air commercials. Apple competitors give Apple almost as much time in their own ads as they give to their own products.

I've been using MacBooks for years now and it's getting time for an upgrade, so I was really pumped yesterday when they revealed this form factor, but I just can't do with the Core M processor for that price.

I am, however, glad to see that the rMBP 13" got a nice spec bump as well as the new trackpad. I'll probably be looking to pick one of those up later in the year now instead.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Incidentally I don't like that USB still has a board that it goes around. Probably technical limitations that it couldn't be post and socket like lightning, but I like the reduction in elemebts that can break or wear.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I am buying this fucking laptop. I might even get the gold one to match my phone.

Toki767

Hmm...trying to decide if double the flash storage is worth the extra $200 on the rMBP. I'm feeling like it isn't though unless I'm missing something. How much space does the OS take up?

I was thinking of getting a chromebook. Now I definitely am. I am assuming this is for people who are on the go and need something they can carry with them.

Loofy

I was looking for a laptop for collage at the end of this year. I think this laptop is great for storing in my backpack because of the weight and size, but what about the keyboard? I hope the travel on the keys is too low for my taste.

I've used the Surface 2 keyboard which also has low travel. Is this comparable to the new Macbook?
Could be great but hopefully your college has a great wifi signal everwhere since it wont have ethernet.

Futureman

Could be great but hopefully your college has a great wifi signal everwhere since it wont have ethernet.

I couldn't imagine any college, at least the US, is not blanketed by WIFI.

and pretty sure the iMac and Mac Pro are the only Apple computers with an ethernet port still....wait the OLD MBP 13" w/ SuperDrive still has an ethernet hehe...

Futureman

and I posted about this yesterday... don't think anyone replied...

any chance this would work with the new MacBook?

1013300-1.jpg

I have one from my iPod Shuffle and could see if it does anything with my rMBP later. I'm guess the 3.5mm jack in the computer needs to be specialized or something.

Guys I need a new laptop and I decided it to be MBP 13. Same as my old and trusty 2009 mbp.
So the question is should I go for this updated one or wait for some kind of update later this year? Also should I go for 16GB RAM or faster CPU for longevity?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get that the MacBook Air didn't get (and probably won't ever get) a Retina display. If they think this Core M and 8GB of RAM is enough to power a Retina display, then it shouldn't be an issue on the more powerful MacBook Air hardware, although I imagine battery life would drop back to pre-Ivy Bridge levels.

Theonik

Guys I need a new laptop and I decided it to be MBP 13. Same as my old and trusty 2009 mbp.
So the question is should I go for this updated one or wait for some kind of update later this year? Also should I go for 16GB RAM or faster CPU for longevity?
RAM cannot be upgraded in new MacBook models so if you expect your memory usage to shoot up over time I'd go for that.

The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get that the MacBook Air didn't get (and probably won't ever get) a Retina display. If they think this Core M and 8GB of RAM is enough to power a Retina display, then it shouldn't be an issue on the more powerful MacBook Air hardware, although I imagine battery life would drop back to pre-Ivy Bridge levels.
Would it though? Broadwell should have been a fair tick lower power than Haswell overall yet they haven't increased the battery specs so I am interested in what real numbers are. For the record the Haswell Air can get up to 15hrs of browsing battery life since the Maverics update.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Would it though? Broadwell should have been a fair tick lower power than Haswell overall yet they haven't increased the battery specs so I am interested in what real numbers are. For the record the Haswell Air can get up to 15hrs of browsing battery life since the Maverics update.

No idea. I know the 13" Pro is getting an extra hour or so of battery life from the transition to Broadwell, so I would have expected an even bigger boost on the MacBook Air.

MercuryLS

Banned

The new macbook is going to replace the air, you're going to get minor spec bumps for the next year or two before its phased out.

Loofy

I couldn't imagine any college, at least the US, is not blanketed by WIFI.

and pretty sure the iMac and Mac Pro are the only Apple computers with an ethernet port still....wait the OLD MBP 13" w/ SuperDrive still has an ethernet hehe...
Probably right. I forget that wireless ab was still the standard when I went to school.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The new macbook is going to replace the air, you're going to get minor spec bumps for the next year or two before its phased out.

Yeah, I'm assuming the same. It's quite a shame, really.

xsarien

daedsiluap
I'm really hoping that this returns Apple to their older naming conventions. Macbook/Macbook Pro.

And eventually iPad/iPad Pro. "Air" just never really worked for me.

n0razi

no magsafe is saddening, its one of the greatest inventions of apple

having a simple point of failure seems bad too (the single USB C port).. i know many people who have a bad USB port but can still use the laptop thanks to having at least 2 USB ports and a charge port

n0razi

I'm curious if people would have been happier with two USBC ports and a 20-30 dollar adapter for a headphone jack.

im surprised apple didnt go for a single USB-C port and a single lightning/thunderbolt port on the other side... thanks to most people moving to bluetooth audio

Ports? Why on earth does this need a USB port (I understand it's the new one) when we have wireless charging! Lazy from Apple.

But seriously that price for that spec? They have lost the plot. I expect more than a dual core M processor for that money.

I feel as though they have went a bit too small with the new MacBook, I hope they don't slim down on the MacBook Pros too much when they eventually get redesigned. I wouldn't care if it didn't come at the cost of power and performance. But I think they will end up adopting the MacBook Air form factor for the MacBook Pros once they get Skylake.

Anywhoo, I am personally wanting to upgrade to a rMBP once they are updated, but I am tempted to try and wait for the Skylake processors, since it it looking likely they will end up redesigning the line up then. I wanna get touch ID built into the touchpad.

The MacBook Air used to be really expensive too, and now it's their cheapest laptop.

Apple always puts out these ridiculous new designs at a premium until it becomes their standard.

diehard

Fleer
They went with the Core M because of the TDP so they could make it fanless.

It's still a nice processor but one wonders if its still too early to use a fanless design on a higher-end (at least in price) laptop. Skylake-Y might be worth waiting for in that form factor.

^Edit: And it 100% will be. Between the IPC improvement and other efficiency gains, Skylake shouldn't have to throttle itself nearly as often, and offer better performance. By Skylake's 10nm successor, we'll probably be like, "Why did we ever have fans again?"

There's a lot of custom parts in this thing that im sure cost a lot to make (new machines and processes) you're paying an early adoptor tax for it and the R&D behind the machine.

Which I get, but it has the capabilities of something Apple would usually charge $1000 for, except it's $1300+.

jts

...hate me...

Remarkably, that good old silver Macbook is the better looking one for me, after all is said and done.

The golden is tacky.

The space gray isn't bad, but the silver has a more playful contrast between the body, keyboard and bezel.

Maybe they should've made it with white keyboard and white bezel ala iDevice (it'd look interesting but then I'd prefer the space gray for sure).

Appleman

300$+ from a Macbook air for less ports and a lesser processor. Not worth it at all, imo. But I'm old school and don't like relying on bluetooth and wireless since response is never as fast as hard wired.

Specs are up on Apple site... what pretentious shit...

http://www.apple.com/mac/compare/

I mean, compared to the MBA 13" it's only $100 more for a slimmer, lighter design, a retina display (that's MUCH nicer by all accounts), and twice the ram
(But less ports and a significantly slower CPU)

I can see how some would choose the MacBook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom