• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

boxter432

sprint has a discount on their "iphone for life" type plan, so I upgraded my 5 to a 6+ (just to test out the size) and then I can (have to) upgrade again before Dec 31 to keep the discounted price (basically $7 lower per month) so will either move to 6S if I feel the + is too big or the 6S+.

ZeroX03

Banned
Is that Apple's fault or a fault with monetary exchange rates?

I honestly don't know.

Apple probably could've eaten the losses with their margins, so it's a bit of both. I don't think such an extreme price hike was necessary. It's going to turn a lot of customers off. $100 instead of $200 would have been easier to swallow.

Resseh

Bullshit, that use to be the case 2-3 years ago. My iPhone 6 lags all the time, this comment is typed on my iPhone 6. The OS lags, the apps lag, the web browser is worst because of low ram.

2 years ago I would the overall ecosystem and performance as an excuse but it's bullshit now. Every popular app is cross platform, android has matured as a very stable and powerful OS and the specs of the devices have increased.
Aye. My 6 plus felt slow this year. Safari constantly crashing. Safari pages refreshing if I went to another app and back etc. With the pieces they charge, they could have put in 2gb Yeats ago

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
Held off getting the 6 Plus last year because of 1GB of RAM.

Glad I waited. Bit disappointed there's no Space Black though.

6S+ for me. Kinda dissapointed the release date is the 25th instead od the 18th, these next two weeks are going to feel like eternity.

Rootbeer

Banned
Are you actually going to buy a 32 GB version?

I see anything less than 64 as ridiculous, anyway.

32 is a comfortable limit to be working with. 16 is insultingly too small with today's app sizes which are constantly imploding thanks to higher quality assets and such. I totally think 32 is fine for most people and don't feel that it's small.

Apple should consider 16 a problem for one very obvious and simple reason: their space is so limited that they are very likely to be uninstalling apps/games all the time to make room for new stuff. They may even pass on downloading/buying new apps due to their large size, which limits revenue options. 32GB is better for everyone: better for customers, and better for Apple & devs because people have more room to store stuff and thus will buy more stuff! Still shaking my head at the pitifully small 16GB... sigh.

64 for me if I go Apple this year.

5.1 on OnePlus Two runs amazing. I don't know what are you talking about.

And no people, apple never talks about RAM on the iPhone.

Nexus 5. Crashes daily, battery life wrecked. Switching back to iPhone this year, not had a great time with the N5 at all.

Rootbeer

Banned
Nexus 5. Crashes daily, battery life wrecked. Switching back to iPhone this year, not had a great time with the N5 at all.

I'm also on a Nexus 5 (with Android 5.1.1). I actually really love it but the battery life is ABSOLUTE SHIT and I encounter mild performance problems here and there. Some app crashing, but never had a system crash. Though I should note that I restart my phone manually every 24 to 48 hours because I find that it helps prevent a lot of issues. On apple devices I've never had to do that: just works 99% of the time.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
32 is a comfortable limit to be working with. 16 is insultingly too small with today's app sizes which are constantly imploding thanks to higher quality assets and such. I totally think 32 is fine for most people and don't feel that it's small.

Apple should consider 16 a problem for one very obvious and simple reason: their space is so limited that they are very likely to be uninstalling apps/games all the time to make room for new stuff. They may even pass on downloading/buying new apps due to their large size, which limits revenue options. 32GB is better for everyone: better for customers, and better for Apple & devs because people have more room to store stuff and thus will buy more stuff! Still shaking my head at the pitifully small 16GB... sigh.

64 for me if I go Apple this year.

And that's why 16GB is the base.

They take just what's on the other side of uncomfortable and make it the base. Now the next step up looks like a lot of value.
Same thing with the iPad pro. 32GB base with 128GB the next step. You know those higher res apps will be huge.

When even 32GB is slightly uncomfortable, then it'll be the iPhone base.

Ferr986

Thats weird. My launch nexus 5 still works flawlessly since day one. No crashes and battery life loss(battery is the weak point of the N5 though). Very happy with it.

Sarye

Any word on the ram? I'm really on the fence if I wanna upgrade from my 5s :\

Seeing how the ipad air was released quietly with 2GB I would bet that the new iphones are 2GB as well.. however iFixit.com will probably tear it down and confirm it prior to release if you must know prior to purchasing.

nikos

Afraid my upgrade process won't be so smooth this year. I've upgraded yearly via Apple and, for the first time, this year I'm forced to upgrade via AT&T. It's the only way to do Next + Down Payment (cutting monthly costs in half) or full subsidized pricing.

Please don't fail me, AT&T.

Mortemis

Banned

I'm also on a Nexus 5 (with Android 5.1.1). I actually really love it but the battery life is ABSOLUTE SHIT and I encounter mild performance problems here and there. Some app crashing, but never had a system crash. Though I should note that I restart my phone manually every 24 to 48 hours because I find that it helps prevent a lot of issues. On apple devices I've never had to do that: just works 99% of the time.

Have a Nexus 5 too and shit ran like hot garbage on lollipop. Hopped on the M developer preview and it works much better, with better battery life to boot. Was contemplating going with the Nexus 5-2 or 5x (whatever they call it), but I just want to hop back to iOS at this point.

janoDX

Remember Android has tons of phones where to choose and a lot of people hates Nexus 5, when buying an Android you need to do a research.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, my dad is getting an iPhone 6S because he has a special plan with one of the providers in here, I might grab it and tell you about it when it's released.

I wonder if there are different versions of the Nexus 5 as its either:

No problems!
Or
It's fucking garbage!

Even tonight, it went from 100% battery, I had the Verge Web refresher on during the Apple Keynote, and the battery is now on 2%. That's not acceptable.

McLovin

They actually had the balls to keep the 16gb model. Sure the phone is better but come the fuck on. It's nice that they have 2gb of ram now but I'm positive they held it back last year so they could boast about the improvement this year.

gimmmick

Gotta drop on by verizon tomorrow on my day off and see how much it will cost me to upgrade to a 6s. I'm on the share everything plan and have no intension to switch to their new T shirt plans (S/M/L/XL). Just happy the release date wasn't before my contract ended (09/20/13 was when the iphone 5s released).

Anno

In for a 16gb 6S. Will try for the rose gold but I imagine that'll be the one that sells out instantly the resellers this time around. Really curious to see how devs implement 3D touch features. Seems like there are plenty of interesting possibilities.

I've got over 1,000 on my 8 GB Moto G. God phone warz comments are insufferable.

That was a bit of an exaggeration. I held a decent amount of photos, some music, and a handful of apps on the iPhone 6 16GB.

That being said, I was only able to make it work with 16GBs work because I have other devices to rely on, but 16GB is still a joke and will be even more with 4K video and Live photos coming in.

McLovin

I've got over 1,000 on my 8 GB Moto G. God phone warz comments are insufferable.
Dude the OS and all the mandatory apps take up a lot of space. I have like 5 games, my photos, no music(but some podcasts), and a few essential apps. If I want a new game I have to delete stuff. The entry point should be like 25 gb or at the very least have space reserved for the os and 16gb on top of that. If they insist on that 16gb model then at least add a micro sd slot or something.

RDreamer

And that's why 16GB is the base.

They take just what's on the other side of uncomfortable and make it the base. Now the next step up looks like a lot of value.
Same thing with the iPad pro. 32GB base with 128GB the next step. You know those higher res apps will be huge.

When even 32GB is slightly uncomfortable, then it'll be the iPhone base.

I wish 16 were slightly uncomfortable. 16 was really uncomfortable 2 years ago. Now it's unusable.

Top Bottom