• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone SE |OT| A Dazzling Display of Common Sense (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Wtf ???

I guess you got the good battery and I got a shitty version :(

39% battery usage was safari, did some music streaming from apple music while i was in the bathtub and edited one or two pictures in lightroom.

I also used airplane mode around 30% of the time with only bluetooth and wifi activated..because I did not want to get any calls ^^"..

so maybe that helped :D

mackattk

I guess you got the good battery and I got a shitty version :(

Battery life is dependent on so many different factors that it is hard to judge how well it would work for your situation. Strength of cell phone signal, wifi, your daily applications/usage, screen on time, etc. Everything is just so varied user to user that you can't just say that one phone has a better battery than another without much more context and details of the usage patterns, carrier, etc..

outsidah

Does it really make that much of a difference on a screen that small?

Yes it does make a difference in particular when comparing to more pixel dense displays with newer technology which allows images to look brighter, crisper and just all around nicer.

It's a nice little device with some great hardware behind it, but it would have been really something had they updated the display with something closer to what we see on other devices in 2015/2016.

Just ordered my wife a 64GB Rose Gold SE. She's been having all sorts of issues with her LG G4. Feel bad because she hasn't had it that long and really liked Android initially, but I'd rather her not have any issues and just have things work.

Doing in store pick up at an Apple Store - do I just walk in and tell someone or do I need to make an appointment?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Just ordered my wife a 64GB Rose Gold SE. She's been having all sorts of issues with her LG G4. Feel bad because she hasn't had it that long and really liked Android initially, but I'd rather her not have any issues and just have things work.

Doing in store pick up at an Apple Store - do I just walk in and tell someone or do I need to make an appointment?

Go in and pick up, no appointment needed.
disclaimer: at least in germany

AzureSky

finally got mine today. Cut the sim card to fit into the nano slot and happy to say iPhoneSE is a beast, as expected :)

best thing so far: touch ID is more usefull than expected.
worst thing so far: no way to migrate whatsapp history from android. That was really disappointing.

Got myself a Wileyfox android phone as my LGG3 broke. Contract is due up in October so I may jump on this and keep wileyfox as a back up.

My 4S was one of my favourite ever phones so its great to see them bring it back in a good way.

Gandie

finally got mine today. Cut the sim card to fit into the nano slot and happy to say iPhoneSE is a beast, as expected :)

best thing so far: touch ID is more usefull than expected.
worst thing so far: no way to migrate whatsapp history from android. That was really disappointing.

Did you cut it yourself without any special tools? Kinda scared to it myself if I'm being honest.

kiguel182

As my first iPhone (but not IOS device) I'm loving it.

There are some things I miss from android (Showing the mobile data used and setting of a warning if more than x is used was really useful) but I'm loving it so far.

And the phone itself is quick as hell, so speedy. The 4 inch screen is a little limiting for some games but for most is a great size and it fits perfectly in my hand. I also bought the 16gb version and it's enough for me with like 8g to spare, I'm also using Google Photos if I take lots of photos and need to delete them at some point.

Anyway, amazing device and I'm loving it.

AzureSky

Did you cut it yourself without any special tools? Kinda scared to it myself if I'm being honest.

regular scissors.
lookup the shape of nano cards on the net and remember which corner should be missing, its not too complicated. I had to cut almost all of the plastic away, and basically cut until it fit into the tray. My micro sim card was a bit thicker, that was my main concern. It still fits into the slot, bit its close and will probably be a bit tricky to get out again ;)

You should probably still lookup how to get a replacement before you start, just a precaution

What is a good alternative to Tweetbot? Bought Tweetbot 3 but don't wanna pay $10 for 4. Is Twitterific or the official app good enough?

Chittagong

Gold Member
The weirdest thing happened today. I was flying from London to Ibiza. My phone was on airplane mode all flight. As we were landing I noticed that it has changed automatically to Spanish time zone, while still in airplane mode. What kind of wizardry is that?!

Gandie

The weirdest thing happened today. I was flying from London to Ibiza. My phone was on airplane mode all flight. As we were landing I noticed that it has changed automatically to Spanish time zone, while still in airplane mode. What kind of wizardry is that?!

FAQ on apple.com says that GPS only gets disabled on 8.2 or earlier. So that, I guess?

jstripes

Banned

GPS doesn't broadcast anything, so it doesn't need to be shut off.

Gandie

Wow, I didn't realise that GPS stays on in airline mode, or that GPS can get a fix inside an airplane. Mad.

Good thing you weren't flying in a Concorde, I think GPS is engineered to switch off at a certain speed threshold to prevent use in ballistic missiles.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Good thing you weren't flying in a Concorde, I think GPS is engineered to switch off at a certain speed threshold to prevent use in ballistic missiles.

I wish I would have got to fly one.

Another cool thing I discovered on iOS - if I type "the thirst" one of the predicted options is "is real". The predicted options almost never have two words.

AzureSky

battery dropped by 8% in standby for 1 day with minimal use, did nothing except check time a few times. Thats quiet good and should easily reach 10 days apple talks about.

also, 2 hours of hearthstone is worth ~ 30% battery.

Just something i was interested to know about, maybe someone else thinks its usefull.

ido

About to go "downgrade" my 6S Plus for this, as I am more and more sick of using this big ass phone. Most of the reasons I justified having a larger phone aren't worth it to me anymore, and in practice using the phone seems like a chore.

I welcome back the one-handed god.

About to go "downgrade" my 6S Plus for this, as I am more and more sick of using this big ass phone. Most of the reasons I justified having a larger phone aren't worth it to me anymore, and in practice using the phone seems like a chore.

I welcome back the one-handed god.

Congrats, I did the exact same for the exact same reasons.

Buggy Loop

I ordered the 64GB version for a mere 100$ cnd with videotron (didnt have a contract with them before, now i do for 2 years).

Apparently, there's a huge shortage of phones from Apple's side and it could be until July that i get mine... wow :(

My sister has one and I just held it in my hand and wow! Crazy how I'm so used to the size of the iPhone 6. The SE felt so small and light.

I'm thinking of getting one as a backup but I don't think I could ever go back to that screen size as a main phone.

I ordered the 64GB version for a mere 100$ cnd with videotron (didnt have a contract with them before, now i do for 2 years).

Apparently, there's a huge shortage of phones from Apple's side and it could be until July that i get mine... wow :(

Shortage? Not in Canada..I have 4 sitting right next to me at work. Probably a Videotron issue.

Handal

Shortage? Not in Canada..I have 4 sitting right next to me at work. Probably a Videotron issue.

Quite strange, because I'm in the same position as Buggy Loop. I ordered mine from Telus 2 weeks ago, and they still tell me the 64gb is out of stock. They do have the 16gb though.

Meh :/

Chittagong

Gold Member
Tried to buy one on my Finnish trip on Wednesday, learned every retailer is sold out of all models, and more stock is due only in 2-3 weeks.

I just upgraded to one of these.

My first Apple phone. I'm changing from an HTC One so my biggest fear is the screen size. Hopefully it's not too off putting.

I was really impressed with the price of this given its performance.

I know it's a dated design but I don't really care about that.

Sioen

I just upgraded to one of these.

My first Apple phone. I'm changing from an HTC One so my biggest fear is the screen size. Hopefully it's not too off putting.

I was really impressed with the price of this given its performance.

I know it's a dated design but I don't really care about that.
It's not dated, it's the best design.

Onyar

Bruh I use whatsapp all the time and have no issue whatsoever. I get notified all the time. Maybe call apple and ask them for help ? Send an e-mail to the whatsapp customer service ?

I had to change the provider, that's the only way I could fix it. Even I changed the SIM with the same provider but got the same delay issues. With the new provider it all works fine. Very strange issue because with the old SIM and another phone I didn't got the delays.
So now I'm enjoying again this great phone, couldn't be happier with this problem fixed.

Mr. Hyde

So, my iphone 6 is dead due to tripping backwards into my pool while doing yard work. I am still paying it off on t-mobile. Is a refurbished 5C the best deal right now or should I go for one of these? I was looking at android phones but I don't feel like paying 600 for another good phone right now.

So, my iphone 6 is dead due to tripping backwards into my pool while doing yard work. I am still paying it off on t-mobile. Is a refurbished 5C the best deal right now or should I go for one of these? I was looking at android phones but I don't feel like paying 600 for another good phone right now.

5C isn't worth it (it's running an A6, over 4 yrs old). SE is absolutely worth it for the price. You get power, great design, long battery life, and bc it has the A9 with 2GB of RAM you'll be able to update iOS on it for a while.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Hey, with an S7 you'd have walked away from that pool with only a bruised ego lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom