• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone SE |OT| A Dazzling Display of Common Sense (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus.

So, my iphone 6 is dead due to tripping backwards into my pool while doing yard work. I am still paying it off on t-mobile. Is a refurbished 5C the best deal right now or should I go for one of these? I was looking at android phones but I don't feel like paying 600 for another good phone right now.

Why not contact AppleCare or an Apple Store and see the cost of replacing the phone? Probably cheaper than buying another phone.

Fladam

I'm loving my first Apple phone but am dying for some one-thumb games after gaming on my iPad for years. Any suggestions?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I woke up and went to my charger dock, and the phone had the "connect to iTunes" screen on it. I can't even restore it in DFU mode now, what the hell even happened to it?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I love this phone, but the small size is causing me problems. Touch targets are too small, I think app makers aren't really accounting for this size phone. Also,I need to look into disabling gestures because a phone this small always thinks I'm doing a gesture when I'm just dragging something to the side of the screen.

rbnoble06

Neo Member
Both myself and my girlfriend currently have iPhone 5's. Had them for 3 years now and our current contract is about to expire at the start of June. Thinking about upgrading but also thinking about just keeping the phones and running another yearly contract. Nothing really wrong with them, both been well looked after and still run pretty well.

If we were to upgrade, think we would go for the SE. We both have pretty small hands and have tried our friends iPhone 6 and we don't like the bigger screen. I can see the benefits, but at the same time, the size of the iPhone 5 / SE is just far more usable with one hand.

Trying to find a good deal (in the UK) that might make us take the plunge.

Best we can find for the 16GB model is EE 500 mins / unlimited texts / 1GB data for £20.99pm + £25 for handset = £528.76 over 24 months.

Or for more minutes and data - EE 1000 mins / unlimited texts / 2GB data for £25.99pm = £623.76.

Does anyone know of any better deals currently or is this the best we are going to get? Or anywhere we can get a better deal if we buy two at the same time?

Any help would be much appreciated!

EDIT: Do you think we should bite the bullet just now, or roll with a monthly contract until there is a price drop, or wait and see what else Apple reveals in September?

EmiPrime

EDIT: Do you think we should bite the bullet just now, or roll with a monthly contract until there is a price drop, or wait and see what else Apple reveals in September?

No point in waiting for September if a 4" phone is your preference and there won't be a price drop before the next model comes out.

TheWorst

So, I finally got around to ordering one of these and it's not supposed to arrive before June 2-9.

Ugh! I want it now. At least I've got this dock that I can use for...nothing. Went with Rose Gold, btw.

Xun

What's the best price anyone has found for the 64GB version (SIM free) in the UK?

I've only seen £429 so far :(

ethomaz

Banned
iPhone SE flying to my home in 5 days.

Finally released in Brasil.

Good bye 5S community.
Nice to meet you guys in SE community.

TheWorst

Finally got my phone in! Took long enough. Have to say, though, it was worth the wait. Seems like a really great device so far. Rose Gold looks dope.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any recommended cases? Do all 5/5S cases fit? I bought an SE for my daughter and I will want her to use a case - something transparent maybe to protect from bumps, and a good tempered glass screen protector.

TheWorst

Any recommended cases? Do all 5/5S cases fit? I bought an SE for my daughter and I will want her to use a case - something transparent maybe to protect from bumps, and a good tempered glass screen protector.

Yes to the bolded.

As for recommendations, I'm going caseless with this phone, but I've used Spigen transparent cases previously and they've been quite nice. So perhaps this?

holygeesus

Banned
Finally upgrading my 5 to an SE - what is the best route for setting up these phones now, as it has been such a long time since I've had to worry? Is there any performance hit by applying a backup of my old phone to the new one?

Gobbly

Banned
Finally upgrading my 5 to an SE - what is the best route for setting up these phones now, as it has been such a long time since I've had to worry? Is there any performance hit by applying a backup of my old phone to the new one?
Nope, just restore your iCloud backup and everything will come over with no performance issues.

I've always preferred Anker for tempered glass screen protectors ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EOO1RHS/

I imagine their clear protective cases would be decent too although I am unsure if they are solid or a silicone finish ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CJKMMMC/

holygeesus

Banned
Excellent. Seems as easy as ever then.

*Sigh* famous last words.

The restore process seems to have gone fine, only it is stuck restoring my iMessage attachments, as far as I can tell. When I go into 'backup' in options, it tells me that a restore is in process. If I scroll through my old iMessages, it shows placeholders where images and videos should be, but sticks a 'restoring' message up when I click on them, and they don't seem to be clearing!

This wouldn't be a problem, but it won't let you backup your phone while it is in the process of restoring. It gives you the option to stop the restore, but I have no idea what I will lose if I do.

Apple's products have become increasingly buggy of late, and this is no exception. Any advice?

Giard

Just upgraded from a 4S to a SE... it seems like something is wrong with the WiFi. The wifi speeds are incredibly slow and the connection is inconsistent, although the WiFi icon is always full. My 4S had speeds of 20 mbps, but my SE can only reach 3, and if it reaches 3 it then goes to 0... and back to 3, etc.

I've tried most suggestions online (resetting network settings, rebooting router/modem/iPhone, changing DNS), but nothing works. I haven't tried the phone yet with another WiFi network, so this'll be my next step. Has anyone gotten similar problems?

Giard

I'm guessing the handset is defective since all other devices work perfectly using wireless. I'll take it back to the store, test their wireless and if it is still wonky I'll exchange it, thanks.

Update: Seems like the router was the problem. Maybe the "g" signal is too old for the SE? Anyways, everything is perfect now.

Any recommendations for a case?

HUELEN10

http://www.target.com/p/iphone-5-5s-case-speck-candyshell-card-slot/-/A-50909151

Speck Candyshell Card for iPhone 5/5S.

It protects it well, has a slot for your ID, a backup payment card (if apple pay isn't accepted), and 1 more card. With it, my phone IS my wallet. If wallet cases aren't for you, the Candyshell grip is another solid option. If you don't need rear protection, you can't go wrong with the photive hybrid.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0092TQHP2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

How you enjoying the SE? Awesome right?

Been day 1 for me and I still love it as much as I did the day I got it. I love this phone, I a solely love this phone, and I hope Cupertino never stops making 4 inch phones.

B-Dex

I can't decide what colour.

Gold, Rose Gold....

But if iget rose gold it'll be the same as my mother's......

What about silver?

DagsJT

Decided this isn't for me, coming from an S6. I honestly thought I'd like the smaller screen but it's just too small so I've bought a 6S instead and listed mine for sale.

Great phone if you really do want a small phone though, so quick.

Daigoro

I love this phone, but the small size is causing me problems. Touch targets are too small, I think app makers aren't really accounting for this size phone. Also,I need to look into disabling gestures because a phone this small always thinks I'm doing a gesture when I'm just dragging something to the side of the screen.

im having the same problem. just got it yesterday but im thinking about exchanging it for the 6s.

its a nice phone, but just a tad too cramped, mostly because of the touch issues im experiencing.

Armadilo

Banned
At first I loved the camera but now I think it kinda sucks ? anybody else with a similar opinion ? Gonna trade for that iphone 7 and get more memory, big mistake I tell you 16gb was a no no

TheWorst

At first I loved the camera but now I think it kinda sucks ? anybody else with a similar opinion ? Gonna trade for that iphone 7 and get more memory, big mistake I tell you 16gb was a no no

It's not the best, but it's definitely better than my old phone, so I don't care. Loving the phone regardless.

holygeesus

Banned
Have enjoyed my first two weeks using this phone immensely but there is no getting round it, the build quality is very poor in comparison to the 5 and even the 6/6S I think. It does feel like a cheap product in comparison to the more premium phones, which I guess is fair enough.

As an aside, has anyone any tips for stopping the power button rattling? I'm tempted to smear a dab of non-abrasive grease in there as it would do the job, but I'm not sure if it would get into the camera enclosure.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Wtf are you talking about with cheap build quality? And rattling power button? Dude, return your phone, mine isn't cheap feeling nor does any button rattle.

holygeesus

Banned
Wtf are you talking about with cheap build quality? And rattling power button? Dude, return your phone, mine isn't cheap feeling nor does any button rattle.

From what I am reading they all do, so I'm loathe to return it as everything else is perfect. It just doesn't feel like a premium product compared to the other iPhones I have handled/owned.

flyover

My 5s got the home button rattle after a couple years. Applied a small amount of rubbing alcohol around the edges with a Q-tip, and it immediately displaced the dirt or dust or whatever had caused it.It'd be nice if they didn't have that issue at all, but that solved it for me.

My 5s got the home button rattle after a couple years. Applied a small amount of rubbing alcohol around the edges with a Q-tip, and it immediately displaced the dirt or dust or whatever had caused it.It'd be nice if they didn't have that issue at all, but that solved it for me.

You use an electronic device many times a day, every day, for YEARS. Something may, I say may break down or degrade. I know I know. It's just shocking.

holygeesus

Banned

Thanks. I think the reverse is true for me, in that getting some dirt down there might help the situation, if anything lol.

It's not a massive issue for me personally, but it is slightly annoying, and, if solvable, great. It's almost as if there is too much give in it. The button is too relaxed in the slot. It needs a bit more friction to hold it in place.

flyover

You use an electronic device many times a day, every day, for YEARS. Something may, I say may break down or degrade. I know I know. It's just shocking.

Hey, I wasn't complaining. I still have and like my 5s. I think it's held up really well, in general. Just offering some sympathy and possible advice on what helped me (which may or may not help others).

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Anyone have any favorite bumper cases for the SE? I don't own an SE yet but I'm looking over cases in case one ends up with me in the near future.

I like the look of the Bump Gear Plus. Does anyone own one of these?

Bump-Gear-Plus-Space-Gray_94b494927a8d916da26a8137d8d933b5-m.jpg

My fallback choice is Apple's leather case but I kinda dig the idea of the back of the phone being exposed to show off the nice color and design.

Thoughts?

Anyone have any favorite bumper cases for the SE? I don't own an SE yet but I'm looking over cases in case one ends up with me in the near future.

I like the look of the Bump Gear Plus. Does anyone own one of these?

Bump-Gear-Plus-Space-Gray_94b494927a8d916da26a8137d8d933b5-m.jpg

My fallback choice is Apple's leather case but I kinda dig the idea of the back of the phone being exposed to show off the nice color and design.

Thoughts?

I have the official Apple case and its amazing. I would highly recommend it.

TheWorst

This device has been awesome for Pokemon Go so far. Easy to carry around and the great battery means I don't need to worry much about the higher than average drain that the game causes.

Anyone try to iOS 10 beta on their SE? Curious if touch targets have been adjusted for the screen (as well as the spacing on the share sheet)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom