• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple is allegedly copyright striking videos on youtube that focus on the crowd's reaction to the $999 display stand

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/06/05/apple_stand_copyright_lockdown/

Apple's focus on privacy, if you're not in China that is, now extends to its events, at least the embarrassing moments.

The techno-glam-gear and services giant has demanded the removal of YouTube-hosted video excerpts of its live-streamed developer conference keynote. The offending clips captured crowd discontent – some booing and mostly gasping and groaning – on Monday over the $999 price tag of the Pro Stand for Apple's forthcoming Pro Display XDR.

One such video, titled "WWDC 2019 Pro Stand Crowd Reaction," received 895,728 views prior to its takedown on copyright infringement grounds, a move that's presumably a result of it being embedded in our coverage of the pricey monitor accessory.

The video will no longer play, and YouTube offers the following explanation:

Video unavailable
This video contains content from Apple, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

The Register asked Apple for an explanation, but the company's communications team has not been communicative. Interestingly, there are many other videos of the event, shared on YouTube and Twitter, that weren't taken down presumably because they didn't include any embarrassing mocking of the pointlessly expensive monitor stand.

Kadayi

Banned

The Video still seems to be up for me? Maybe Youtube revoked the copyright strike for being fucking ridiculous and one that given their recent purge shenanigans would only backfire on them.

Also within a week of the first Stands shipping, you know someone out there is going to come out with a realistically priced model.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

The Video still seems to be up for me? Maybe Youtube revoked the copyright strike for being fucking ridiculous and one that given their recent purge shenanigans would only backfire on them.

Also within a week of the first Stands shipping, you know someone out there is going to come out with a realistically priced model.

Yeah seems the video was brought back up. Most recent comments started only 21 minutes ago with the comments before that being 1 day ago.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I still can’t get over the stand... like... what planet must you live on to think that’s ok?

Don’t get me wrong, the rest is actually not that bad priced compared to apples usual shit, but... that stand...

I shouldn’t be shocked. This is from the same company that makes latex cases for iPhones that cost £50 (I get mine for £5, exactly the same).

Crazy man...

PSlayer

e7a.jpg

brap

Banned
Imagine being poor and not being able to afford a 1k piece of plastic lmao. This will definitely come in handy whilst I sip my soy latte from starbucks.

Falcs

Banned
I'm looking forward to September when they announce the new iPhone at $1000 and then people remember that this same company sells a monitor stand for that price. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Once they see that idiots will actually pay $1000 for a stand, they will announce the new, top-end iPhone for $3499, and a special iCover for it for $999.

lil puff

It could be fun to record the idiots that stay over night and use sleeping bags in line for this stupid thing. Overcompensating Fucks.

Kadayi

Banned
What tech is actually in the stand...any?

It holds up your 6k monitor and it allows you to rotate the screen to portrait mode if you want (something my less than $1000 Dell Ultrasharp has done for years). Portrait mode sounds cool, but in truth, I'm hard-pressed to think of many case scenarios that would benefit from it.

Was pretty upset when I saw Apple disabled comments on their official video. I just wanted to read the reactions 😂

Last edited:

Airola

Wow that looks like the guy deliberately went through that part very quickly knowing the price is dumb and wanting to get over it as fast as possible. Him leaving the stage even looks like he's like "ok whew I'm done, holy shit I need to get off the stage NOW" :D

Top Bottom