• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Is in Talks With Hollywood for Early Access to Movies on iTunes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-with-film-studios-for-earlier-movie-rentals

Apple Inc. is pressing Hollywood studios for earlier access to movies, according to people with knowledge of the matter, a move that would bolster the company’s iTunes business.

21st Century Fox Inc., Time Warner Inc.’s Warner Bros. and Comcast Corp.’s Universal Pictures all confirmed over the past week that they are looking to offer high-priced, home-video rentals of new movies shortly after they open in theaters. Some studio executives have been pushing to allow home rentals as early as two weeks after theatrical debuts and are considering a deal with iTunes as one option, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the discussions are private.

The most recent talks are part of longer-running efforts by Cupertino, California-based Apple to get new movies sooner, two of the people said. Such an arrangement could help iTunes stand out in a crowded online market for movies, TV shows and music. While the iTunes store helped Apple build a dominant role in music retailing, the company hasn’t carved out a similar role in music and video streaming.

Hollywood studios typically give theaters exclusive rights to new movies for 90 days or more before issuing them on DVD or making them available for online purchase. With cinema attendance mostly stagnant and home-video revenue flat in recent years, film companies are under pressure to find new areas of growth.

One option is a premium-priced online rental for new movies, at prices of $25 to $50, a possibility under consideration at the studios, according to people with knowledge of the matter.

Theater chains have battled to keep their exclusive hold over new movies, in some cases boycotting films that were released too soon for home viewing. But Cinemark Holdings Inc., the No. 3 U.S. exhibitor, said recently it’s looking for solutions that would benefit both sides and held preliminary talks about creating a so-called premium window for home entertainment. Such a service is likely within the next 18 months, one of the people said.

Those talks may have gained momentum after Sean Parker, the founder of Napster, said in March he was trying to create a new home-video service, called Screening Room, that would offer viewers movies on the same day they were released in theaters. The company has also discussed offering movies at home after 14 days in theaters, two of the people said. A spokeswoman for Screening Room declined to comment.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
disgusting. This exclusive anti consumer shit should be illegal.

Dishwalla

Banned
Sounds good, there is definitely a big gap between theatrical and home video releases that I don't understand. Most movies, barring the biggest blockbusters like Star Wars, don't really have legs to last more than a month in theaters.

Bubba T

I've heard of studios trying this before, before the multiplex industry (AMC, etc) lobbied against it.

This actually doesn't look like a terrible price if you consider how much people spend going to the movies in the first place. Home theater setups are closing in (but still not as good) on replicating the multiplex experience and you don't have to deal with noisy kids and people using cell phones.

25-50 bucks to watch a movie on a small regular ass screen in my house or 8 bucks to watch it on an awesome giant screen with all the magic and atmosphere of a theater experience?

Tough call.

Bubba T

25-50 bucks to watch a movie on a small regular ass screen in my house or 8 bucks to watch it on an awesome giant screen with all the magic and atmosphere of a theater experience?

Tough call.

Perhaps for you, but there are an increasing amount of people who would pay to watch it in their own homes with their own setups. 25-50 bucks wouldn't be all that different from what families and couples are spending now.

Wouldn't this just lead to even more rampant piracy? A bootleg camera copy is one thing, but if a DVD quality copy is available on torrent sites a few weeks after release....yikes.

numble

Tough call.

Some people have home theaters.
In major markets the ticket prices are about $10-$13.
You can watch with multiple people.

shira

More jobs gonna be lost to technology.

The guy down the street had a 40 year career being a projectionist

Woorloog

Banned
Wouldn't this just lead to even more rampant piracy? A bootleg camera copy is one thing, but if a DVD quality copy is available on torrent sites a few weeks after release....yikes.

Is pirated view a lost sale?
I mean, in many case pirates are may be unlikely to pay in the first place, and if so, early release might not have any real effect.

On the other hand, piracy could happen because it is convenient and so offering even more convenient option (even if one must pay) might reduce piracy.

Either way, i'd imagine the potential for piracy has been accounted for in these negotiations.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
With all the money Hollywood spends on lobbying against piracy and running the FBI, it would be hilarious to see it hand over HD film files making their way even faster to torrents.

I would pay $30-40 to watch a movie in my house. I'm hoping to get a 65+ 4k TV and I would just cut off all the lights, have popcorn ready with Henry Hard soda and enjoy my evening.

Tedesco!

$25 so my whole family can watch a movie. $4 for microwave popcorn and a 2-liter of soda. I don't have to drive 40 minutes to the quasi-shitty mall theater and I don't have to deal with uncivilized pedestrians? Sounds like a great deal to me!

It sucks that it costs that much and it is just going to be a rental. When a new movie comes to Amazon you only have the option to buy it at full price for like 2 weeks before you are given the option to rent it. If it's going to cost more than $25 it seems like you should get to keep a measly digital copy.

So how do they stop piracy of it? Cause I know from personal experience that a camera in a theatre are much less popular than HD screencaps.

Most movies are already pirated in high quality well before the blu ray comes out. Pirates are going to pirate. You might as well ignore them and try to make a buck off of the people willing to pay for movies. (mostly old people and cool people)

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
So how do they stop piracy of it? Cause I know from personal experience that a camera in a theatre are much less popular than HD screencaps.

you can't stop it you just have to hope the business works out in your favour. Considering how much movies still make at theaters it seems like suicide but what do I know.

No way. Fuck that. Hope this isn't the start of the end of theaters. That would suck as everything is going online these days.

Rogue One tickets costs $30+ for two people. You can watch at home for $25 to $50? Do it in a heartbeat for some mid-range flicks.

While I would much rather see a movie in a theater, it is about $15 for me to see a movie. I have to buy tickets at least a day in advance as the theaters here all have those recliners and reserved seating. I can't just pick up on a rainy saturday afternoon and go see a movie on a whim.

It would nice to pay $25 to watch a movie with some friends in someones house. Would definitely do it.

Really wish movie theaters were less pricy and I could just pick up and go to see a movie on a whim like I was once able to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom