• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

Vuze

It just occurred to me that of course Apple is not gonna strip LTE from their future watches. They will probably use Series 3 GPS version as entry model next year along Series 4 GPS and Series 4 GPS+Cellular.
BUT that would also mean that there won't likely be any Stainless Steel watches without a) Cellular and b) The awful colored dot. That would suck.

It also occurred to me that the whole "Keep Series 1, drop Series 2" Situation will be confusing for resellers (that still have ample of Series 2 stock). They won't drop the price for the 1 further than Apple but they also won't price the Series 2 below 1 and who buys a 2 when you can get a 3 for about the same 🤔

Blackhead

Redarse
It just occurred to me that of course Apple is not gonna strip LTE from their future watches. They will probably use Series 3 GPS version as entry model next year along Series 4 GPS and Series 4 GPS+Cellular.
BUT that would also mean that there won't likely be any Stainless Steel watches without a) Cellular and b) The awful colored dot. That would suck.

It also occurred to me that the whole "Keep Series 1, drop Series 2" Situation will be confusing for resellers (that still have ample of Series 2 stock). They won't drop the price for the 1 further than Apple but they also won't price the Series 2 below 1 and who buys a 2 when you can get a 3 for about the same 🤔

they already have, multiple times, this past year

Dropping the 2 and keeping the 1 was very weird. Getting rid of old stock?

More like there wasn’t a massive enough difference between the series 2 and the non-Cellular series 3 to justify both of them. The Series 3 actually comes in $40 cheaper than the equivalent series 2 with all the new goodies like the processor, so it’s a positive move. I agree the naming is fucked, though.

Vuze

they already have, multiple times, this past year
Not considerably to the point where they could somehow squeeze in the Series 2 at a hot price point (or not where I'm located). Best recorded price for the 42mm Series 1 in the last three months was 269€. Apple MSRP now is 299€.

Series 1 WiFi Alu 42mm: 299€
Series 2 GPS Alu 42mm: 350~360€ish best current price depending on color
Series 3 GPS Alu 42mm: 399€

Series 2 GPS SS 42mm: 640€ish best current price (Sportband)
Series 3 Cellular SS 42mm: 699€ (Sportband)

It's pretty weird right now. Also, what are they gonna do with the Edition lol. I think the Gen 1 Edition was only sold through Apple right? So that'll be interesting to see. My price scraper bot is ready for whenever SS/Edition drop considerably.

jts

...hate me...
I think when Apple introduced iPad 4 they dropped the 3 and kept the 2 as well. And feel there’s been more instances like that.

Still on Series 0, if I can nab a Series 2 on the cheap that’ll be mint.

I think when Apple introduced iPad 4 they dropped the 3 and kept the 2 as well. And feel there’s been more instances like that.

They did the same thing with Mini 2 and Mini 4 as well

dc89

Not considerably to the point where they could somehow squeeze in the Series 2 at a hot price point (or not where I'm located). Best recorded price for the 42mm Series 1 in the last three months was 269€. Apple MSRP now is 299€.

Series 1 WiFi Alu 42mm: 299€
Series 2 GPS Alu 42mm: 350~360€ish best current price depending on color
Series 3 GPS Alu 42mm: 399€

Series 2 GPS SS 42mm: 640€ish best current price (Sportband)
Series 3 Cellular SS 42mm: 699€ (Sportband)

It's pretty weird right now. Also, what are they gonna do with the Edition lol. I think the Gen 1 Edition was only sold through Apple right? So that'll be interesting to see. My price scraper bot is ready for whenever SS/Edition drop considerably.

Gen 1 Edition was sold through Apple and select boutiques like Dover Street Market London, Colette Paris and The Corner - Berlin.

In another post in one of the other threads I said they've made quite the big step change with the Watch since the original generation. It's not the luxury time piece they first marketed it as, it's now all about the fitness and health benefits.
The first three watch adverts are possibly my favourite ever Apple ads.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Conversation between two blondies:
- Sweety, can you believe that, my new notebook is almost as fast as our new iphones!
- Wat? Nooo, sweeety, that's not possible -- did you benchmark it properly?
- I did, sweety, it's 4000 on gb4.
- Quick, let's take a selfie with this notebook -- I want to post it on my fb! I'll add some emoji animations too. I'm calling dibs on the tiger emoji, rarrr!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Does anyone know if the Apple TV 4K will work with my TV? It's an LG 55UF850V, I've got the Apple TV on order but after a bit of reading I'm not sure it's going to work with my TV.

http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-55UF850V

I'm not sure why you think it wouldn't? It's a normal 4K (not HDR) set with normal if not-quite-up to date-ish HDMI.
Looks like you won't get HDR, but you will get the resolution and some color benefits.

DonShula

I'm warming up to the Apple Watch but damn is that battery life a killer for me. I have a Fitbit right now that lasts 4-5 days, and I wear it to sleep. It's actually my alarm. 18 hours sounds just dreadful to someone who wears their Fitbit everywhere except the shower.

I suppose I'll wait for Ionic reviews, but the price of that thing is what's making me consider an Apple Watch in the first place. If I'm gonna pay smart watch prices I may as well get a legitimate smart watch.

btkadams

I'm probably just going to go with an 8+.

I'll wait for the X with Touch ID.
An insider who spoke with some Apple engineers (I think his name was Gruber?) claims Apple actually ditched trying to put touchID in the X a year ago because they realized FaceID was going to better. They hadn’t quite figured out how to put TouchID in the screen yet, but they were still far off from release. They just abandoned it in favour of FaceID.

If that’s true, they aren’t bringing TouchID back.

Are iOS geekbench scores and x86 geekbench scores compatible? If so, the A11 has better single thread performance than the Ryzen 1700X I bought last month, which is something.

I'm warming up to the Apple Watch but damn is that battery life a killer for me. I have a Fitbit right now that lasts 4-5 days, and I wear it to sleep. It's actually my alarm. 18 hours sounds just dreadful to someone who wears their Fitbit everywhere except the shower.

I suppose I'll wait for Ionic reviews, but the price of that thing is what's making me consider an Apple Watch in the first place. If I'm gonna pay smart watch prices I may as well get a legitimate smart watch.

Just charge it after you get up, or at the end of the day after you get home. Depending on how long your showers are, you can get a good deal of charge in.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

My SS Series 0 is either being run into the ground until I absolutely have to upgrade (think I'd get another year out of it), or I'll jump on a series 2 SS on clearance. As mentioned though, the existence of series 1 does confuse things regarding pricing.

If Series 1 is only through Apple and retail only has S3, then there is a chance of a decent offer through retail.

giga

Are iOS geekbench scores and x86 geekbench scores compatible? If so, the A11 has better single thread performance than the Ryzen 1700X I bought last month, which is something.

Just charge it after you get up, or at the end of the day after you get home. Depending on how long your showers are, you can get a good deal of charge in.

They are. John Poole has said so on Twitter. They're indexed against an i7 6600.

My SS Series 0 is either being run into the ground until I absolutely have to upgrade (think I'd get another year out of it), or I'll jump on a series 2 SS on clearance. As mentioned though, the existence of series 1 does confuse things regarding pricing.

If Series 1 is only through Apple and retail only has S3, then there is a chance of a decent offer through retail.

Is Series 1 the exact same specs as the Series 1 they released last year alongside the Series 2? Or did it get a spec bump, just retaining no GPS (and now, LTE).

Does anyone use their watch regularly in water? I've taken up swimming and I'd like to use it in the pool, lakes, and oceans. Is it legit water resistant? I don't plan on doing anything crazy obviously.

Does anyone use their watch regularly in water? I've taken up swimming and I'd like to use it in the pool, lakes, and oceans. Is it legit water resistant? I don't plan on doing anything crazy obviously.
It’s properly water resistant and has swim tracking.

This is the series 2 and 3.

Quonny

I wear mine in the shower probably 2-3 times a week, take it kayaking, and in the summer I always wore it at the pool.

The only issue I had was the speakers would be 'crackily' sounding for an hour or so after getting out of the water, but that makes sense.

Series 2 btw.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
On the same page with the ios results:
Geekbench 4 scores are calibrated against a baseline score of 4000 (which is the score of an Intel Core i7-6600U). Higher scores are better, with double the score indicating double the performance.

SuperPac

Yes, and yes it is though you can't tap the screen well under water and it loses bluetooth connection when submerged. It's also a good idea to wash it off in fresh water after pool or ocean use to get chlorine or salt residue off.

I ordered the 8plus space gray 256gig. Going to the Apple Store on Friday to pick it up. It's weird because o ordered at 3pm Friday afternoon and they still had them available.

Also I am on the iPhone upgrade program. Apparently they do a soft credit check and for some reason I thought they did a hard check. That's good cause I had to get another CC this year and I am leasing a car and don't want too many checks against my credit. It was an impulse buy and I have no regrets.

Just measuring demand for a friend. Is the apple watch 3 projected to sell out?
Should she be getting a pre-order then picking up on friday?

Any information will help.
For those who have pre-ordered the apple watch 3 with lte, did you have to pay at pre-order or do you pay when you pick it up?

An insider who spoke with some Apple engineers (I think his name was Gruber?) claims Apple actually ditched trying to put touchID in the X a year ago because they realized FaceID was going to better. They hadn’t quite figured out how to put TouchID in the screen yet, but they were still far off from release. They just abandoned it in favour of FaceID.

It will come back if people complain about it enough, I still don’t think face ID is practical for Apple Pay use in stores, not even close to how convenient Touch ID is

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just measuring demand for a friend. Is the apple watch 3 projected to sell out?
Should she be getting a pre-order then picking up on friday?

Any information will help.
For those who have pre-ordered the apple watch 3 with lte, did you have to pay at pre-order or do you pay when you pick it up?

Iphone 8 and watch 3 both showing for delivery around the 26-28 Sep for me in the UK. So slipping a little but not much. I think there would be a fighting chance of getting one by walking in on launch day

giga

Was doing some HEIF research and saw that you need an A10 or better to capture HEIF photos and HEVC videos. So if youre a 6S or under user and want that space savings, there's another incentive to upgrade.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Was doing some HEIF research and saw that you need an A10 or better to capture HEIF photos and HEVC videos. So if youre a 6S or under user and want that space savings, there's another incentive to upgrade.

Ah good.
And I’m assuming older photos and videos won’t be converted correct?

Kusagari

We'll see how FaceID goes once it's in peoples hands. Right now I don't see how it could be anywhere near as convenient as TouchID.

Aurongel

Anyone familiar with what the bootup time for a current Apple TV is like? I'm wondering if I should attach it to a power strip that will be periodically shut off. How well do Apple TV's handle being suddenly shut off?

Anyone familiar with what the bootup time for a current Apple TV is like? I'm wondering if I should attach it to a power strip that will be periodically shut off. How well do Apple TV's handle being suddenly shut off?

It’s like 30 seconds, maybe longer? I’ve never timed it, but it’s not quick. It’s meant to just be left in sleep mode so it can be woken up with an airplay command or something. You won’t hurt the thing though

Guess Who

Banned

I just hard reset my 4th gen Apple TV and it took 34 seconds to get to the home screen from when it cut off. I've also never had any issues with it coming on from a power outage or anything like that. I'd expect it would be fine.

johnny956

It will come back if people complain about it enough, I still don’t think face ID is practical for Apple Pay use in stores, not even close to how convenient Touch ID is

Half the time I use Apple Pay the register is setup to where I don't know how that's going to work unless they give you a couple seconds of leeway

Red

Any talk about when reviews for the 8 will start popping up?

I’m hoping dxomark doesn’t take another year to review the camera.
Speaking of, anybody use their 7 underwater? ;)
I know you're not supposed to...
I’ve taken a few underwater videos. I don’t take it deeper than about a foot.

giga

Any talk about when reviews for the 8 will start popping up?

I’m hoping dxomark doesn’t take another year to review the camera.

I’ve taken a few underwater videos. I don’t take it deeper than about a foot.
I'm hoping dxo finally uses raw for their tests if they want me to take them seriously.

Red

I'm hoping dxo finally uses raw for their tests if they want me to take them seriously.
That’s not happening:
The DxOMark Mobile test protocol takes a different approach to our sensor and lens test protocols. Rather than looking at a discrete component (sensor, lens) the Mobile protocol assesses the performance of the imaging pipeline in its entirety, including lens, sensor, camera control, and image processing. This means that still image quality evaluation in the Mobile protocol is based on the camera’s JPG output rather than on RAW image data as for sensors and lenses.

https://www.dxomark.com/dxomark-mobile-testing-protocol-scores/

Top Bottom