• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

Heysoos

Think I'm just going to go for the regular 8+, not too fond of how the X looks. Plus, I have a feeling supply is going to be extremely tight for who knows how long.

I'm thinking about canceling my IUP upgrade, selling my 7+ to pay off the loan, and giving android a shot for the next year until v2 of the X. I have realized I like what Samsung is doing and the rumored Pixel XL 2 sounds great more so than what Apple is doing. Left android 2 years ago, but I have kind of grown bored of iOS lol.

Two Words

The more I think about it, the more the X seems like a worse choice over the 8 Plus. The 8 Plus still has a bigger screen and a more useful aspect ratio. I personally haven't been bothered by the bezels. TouchID can unlock the phone before it is even out of your pocket. OLED is better, but I've never felt like the iPhone displays were ever really lacking before. Really glad I went with the 8 Plus.

I'm interested in a watch but don't really see the benefit. Can upgrade my phone coincidentally so will go and grab an 8+ the day it comes out and then see if they can do me a deal on the watch.

UK here. Anyone got any deals? I can upgrade and i'm on EE currently through Carphone Warehouse.

The more I think about it, the more the X seems like a worse choice over the 8 Plus. The 8 Plus still has a bigger screen and a more useful aspect ratio. I personally haven't been bothered by the bezels. TouchID can unlock the phone before it is even out of your pocket. OLED is better, but I've never felt like the iPhone displays were ever really lacking before. Really glad I went with the 8 Plus.

The 8 plus has a 5.5’’, the X has a 5.8’’ in a smaller form factor.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The 8 plus has a 5.5’’, the X has a 5.8’’ in a smaller form factor.

It has a '5.8' inch screen. They include the ears in that measurement even though that includes the notch, plus it is a different aspect ratio. The screen isn’t as wide as the 8+ If you’re watching 16:9 video then the 8+ will be bigger

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The only benefit the X has over the 8 is the OLED screen and it's not worth paying that much for.

Isn’t the only benefit of the plus over the 8 the larger screen and camera?

For me I want more screen and better camera than the 8, but I don’t want the size of phone of the plus. So the X offers me what I want in a size I want.

It has a '5.8' inch screen. They include the ears in that measurement even though that includes the notch, plus it is a different aspect ratio. The screen isn’t as wide as the 8+ If you’re watching 16:9 video then the 8+ will be bigger

The only plus the 8+ has going for it is the screen being wider. The X screen is still bigger, taller, higher resolution, OLED, and supports HDR. All in a smaller, lighter form factor than the 8+.

marrec

Banned
The only benefit the X has over the 8 is the OLED screen and it's not worth paying that much for.

Also the AR capable front facing camera and dual OIS on the rear cameras. Dual OIS was the big one that ALMOST made me wait for the X.

You make it sound so insignificant when it is arguably the most notable new feature in the history of the iPhone.

That screen is going to be the best looking screen a phone has ever seen, I have no doubt.

You make it sound so insignificant when it is arguably the most notable new feature in the history of the iPhone.

Because it's not something revolutionary, it's something they were super late to the game with. It's not worth hundreds of dollars for them to finally be on par with competitors.

Well it's a larger screen and the front facing camera is better. OLED contrast is a big deal though. I'm just getting the regular tiny 8, if you don't need the X's extra features then don't get that one.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Sure thing! I will say that I don't have a 4K TV and won't until Black Friday, but I figured I'd get it because my current Apple TV has a problem with the wireless chip, where once I connect my AirPods the range is TERRIBLE and the WiFi starts crawling. So this will be an upgrade in nothing else but wireless sanity, at least in the beginning

I have mine coming as well on Friday, so I'll be sure to share.

Though of course I don't know what I'll have to share, other than, "It seems a little bit faster.", and "Yup, that's UHD from an AppleTV!"

In any case, I'm excited to disconnect my Sony Android-based SmartTV from the Internet and solely use my AppleTV again for content playback.
Thanks, guys. I'm mostly curious about the performance of the A10X in there - how much apple managed to squeeze out of it. There are a few rather demanding games on the ATV Store, f2p, but they make for a good comparison, as they all have fps or pacing issues on gen 4:

Afterpulse
Breakneck
Real Racing 3
Gods of Rome
Dungeon Hunter

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Shocking number of 4K movies up already. Will probably grab the 4K ATV at the end of the month. My collection of ~200 movies has 12 movies. While it seems like nothing, probably 90% of that collection is before 1990. 😜 Ghostbusters, Goodfellas and Diamonds are Forever though. :D

erawsd

Because it's not something revolutionary, it's something they were super late to the game with. It's not worth hundreds of dollars for them to finally be on par with competitors.

It is a big step forward as far as iPhones are concern, and that's really the only part of this that'll matter to a lot of the market. So if you're married to Android then maybe its not as impressive. For someone that prefers iOS then its going to be a big deal since its a step forward for the platform you actually care about. If you're someone that flipflops between them then maybe these additional features are what tips the scale in one direction over another.

Everything is relative.

It is a big step forward as far as iPhones are concern, and that's really the only part of this that'll matter to a lot of the market. So if you're married to Android then maybe its not as impressive. For someone that prefers iOS then its going to be a big deal since its a step forward for the platform you actually care about. If you're someone that flipflops between them then maybe these additional features are what tips the scale in one direction over another.

Everything is relative.

Sure, but if that's the most notable feature in an iphone then that's kind of depressing. I'm buying a new iphone this year but iPhone X was just really disappointing for the huge premium they're asking for.

My biggest problem with the X was the long wait which would wreck the cadence of my iPhone upgrade program.

So I went for the 8+ instead because all I want is the A11 and the biggest screen size I could lay my hands on.

empyrean

Shocking number of 4K movies up already. Will probably grab the 4K ATV at the end of the month. My collection of ~200 movies has 12 movies. While it seems like nothing, probably 90% of that collection is before 1990. 😜 Ghostbusters, Goodfellas and Diamonds are Forever though. :D

As far as I can tell there are no 4K movies listed in the U.K. iTunes Store yet. 😢

Treo360

Also the AR capable front facing camera and dual OIS on the rear cameras. Dual OIS was the big one that ALMOST made me wait for the X.

That screen is going to be the best looking screen a phone has ever seen, I have no doubt.

Citation needed.

It has less pixel density and I think NITS than some of its competitors.

Citation needed.

It has less pixel density and I think NITS than some of its competitors.

Who knows until we have it in our hands? Its pixel density is definitely “good enough” and Apple has been individually calibrating their displays, which their competitors aren’t doing. True tone is also an outstanding feature

I’d also caution you to avoid using just the insanely high burst values thrown out there for other phones. People misinterpret results all the time.

Weevilone

The wife and I are still using a 6 and 6+ so I was tempted to go ahead with 8 series, but looks like we'll both wait for X.

I did order 2 of the new Apple TV though, so looking forward to that. Wife will get a watch, but I was just getting home from a trip and didn't have time to discuss which one she wanted, so missed the pre-order window. I'll try to suffer with my Series 2 a little longer, but really like the watches more than I expected. I'm on call all the time for work, so always having to keep the phone handy. It'd be nice to leave that back sometimes, while still receiving texts / e-mails / calls for emergency.

I'm honestly not that stoked with phones so much anymore, so just looking at X because I can keep the larger screen in s smaller form factor. The size of my 6+ in pocket has grown old.

erawsd

Sure, but if that's the most notable feature in an iphone then that's kind of depressing. I'm buying a new iphone this year but iPhone X was just really disappointing for the huge premium they're asking for.

Fair enough, I'm pretty happy about it myself since I can't really think of anything I'd rather have than a nice OLED screen. I don't know that I'll even get a X because Im so put off by that notch though.

giga

Doubtful most people can perceive above 450 ppi at a typical viewing distance for a phone.

They can perceive true tone though. 👌🏽

Ah right. Must be that then. Thanks for the info ��

Yeah, I was on the beta on my ipad and didn't see the 4k symbol until I updated to the final version of iOS 11.

Fair enough, I'm pretty happy about it myself since I can't really think of anything I'd rather have than a nice OLED screen. I don't know that I'll even get a X because Im so put off by that notch though.

Don't get me wrong, having an OLED is amazing and wish I could get one. Playing with an S8 was amazing with how nice that screen is, especially with something colorful like people playing splatoon on youtube.

Doubtful most people can perceive above 450 ppi at a typical viewing distance for a phone.

They can perceive true tone though. ����

Do you notice the shift for true-tone often? Maybe it's the lighting in my place but I don't really notice it much on my ipad.

Man I want the Apple Watch but I have an iPhone 5... -_-

I want the watch but not the $10/mo charge :/

I'm not even sure if I would physically be able to do it on my plan since I'm prepaid so I feel like they won't do it unless I become post paid which isn't happening.

dc89

In for an iPhone X I think.
Just waiting for more detail on O2's plans but it's looking at least £72 a month.
I might look to put some more down up front to lower the monthly cost, already pay around £60 a month.

That really is only the viable option for myself, if I was to not go down that path it would just get silly money getting it on the iPhone Upgrade Programme.

Charcoal

I want the watch but not the $10/mo charge :/

I'm not even sure if I would physically be able to do it on my plan since I'm prepaid so I feel like they won't do it unless I become post paid which isn't happening.
You can use the watch without LTE. You're just paying more initially for the feature.

JayB1920

I’m heavily leaning toward the 8+ over the X. The battery is still overall best and I prefer the wider screen of the 8+ and a lot of content will appear larger on the 8+ due to its 16:9 aspect ratio even if the overall size is smaller. I don’t use the telephoto lens enough to have that be a deciding factor and all 3 models have the A11 chip.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/App...an-the-5.5-inch-iPhone-8-Plus-display_id98116

OLED and the better telephoto lens is nice but I’m willing to wait another year for them to work out whatever kinks and oddities there will inevitability be due to the notch and face ID. They may end up adding those improvements to all the models next year.

Oxn

I’m heavily leaning toward the 8+ over the X. The battery is still overall best and I prefer the wider screen of the 8+ and a lot of content will appear larger on the 8+ due to its 16:9 aspect ratio even if the overall size is smaller. I don’t use the telephoto lens enough to have that be a deciding factor and all 3 models have the A11 chip.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/App...an-the-5.5-inch-iPhone-8-Plus-display_id98116

OLED and the better telephoto lens is nice but I’m willing to wait another year for them to work out whatever kinks and oddities there will inevitability be due to the notch and face ID. They may end up adding those improvements to all the models next year.

People will realize this once they find out that new and shiny doesnt always mean better

Start thinking objectively

jts

...hate me...
Can you play music on it by itself without LTE? I most want it for that for when I go for runs and stuff but I thought that was only on LTE version.

Yeah you can store up to 2GB of music in any Apple Watch (it syncs a playlist from the iPhone). I think they even made it better in watchOS 4 but I don't remember the specifics.

Think I'm just going to go for the regular 8+, not too fond of how the X looks. Plus, I have a feeling supply is going to be extremely tight for who knows how long.

Not till next spring will one be able to easily walk in a store a buy one, that’s my guess for the shortages for the iPhone X, by that time we will be in full rumor mode for the iPhone 11

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My biggest problem with the X was the long wait which would wreck the cadence of my iPhone upgrade program.

So I went for the 8+ instead because all I want is the A11 and the biggest screen size I could lay my hands on.

You could just settle the finance yourself and sell your phone at any time, if you want to reset that timing eg next year.

Guess Who

Banned
Yeah you can store up to 2GB of music in any Apple Watch (it syncs a playlist from the iPhone). I think they even made it better in watchOS 4 but I don't remember the specifics.

Hmm, maybe I'll consider one after all... Thanks for the info!

Also: the new LTE Watches doubled the internal storage from 8GB to 16GB, so I would bet they also increased the allowed music capacity from 2GB to more.

Also: the new LTE Watches doubled the internal storage from 8GB to 16GB, so I would bet they also increased the allowed music capacity from 2GB to more.

Wait, so follow up. What playlists are you syncing? Music you manually added to your phone? I use spotify for everything so I'm assuming I can't download those playlists and play them?

dc89

Am I crazy in thinking iPhone X won't be that bad to get hold off at 8:01am.
Sure I can see it selling out that day but I have a suspicion that it's not gonna be all gone in 5 mins or so.
Am I crazy?

Shearie

Am I crazy in thinking iPhone X won't be that bad to get hold off at 8:01am.
Sure I can see it selling out that day but I have a suspicion that it's not gonna be all gone in 5 mins or so.
Am I crazy?

You're crazy. Have you seen someone about that?

Top Bottom