• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple releasing first Public Betas of iOS 10 and macOS Sierra today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vashetti

Banned
Two days after releasing the second developer betas of iOS 10 and macOS Sierra for testing, Apple today is launching its public beta program for the forthcoming updates, allowing a broader cross section of users to test out the new features and report bugs to Apple (via The Verge and CNET).

Users interested in testing out iOS 10 and macOS Sierra should visit Apple's Beta Software Program website for more details and to register for the program. There is no charge for participating in the public beta program, but Apple strongly recommends users install the betas on secondary devices as bugs and other issues can cause problems for users during the testing process.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/07/07/ios-10-macos-sierra-public-betas/

Chittagong

Gold Member
After last summer's PBs I'll never ever install an Apple beta again, however tempting the features. It fucked up my iPhone, iPad and Mac in so many ways and was harder to get rid of than an STD

dc89

Was this expected so soon? How has b2 been running?

Very well so far. No crashes or any of the bugs I personally saw during b1

After last summer's PBs I'll never ever install an Apple beta again, however tempting the features. It fucked up my iPhone, iPad and Mac in so many ways and was harder to get rid of than an STD

I can't speak for last year - it's the only beta I've missed out on since iOS 6 but it's pretty damn easy to go back these days.

Backup your phone to iTunes and archive the backup. Google it and you'll see the steps to do so.
Then you're pretty much ready to go to 10. Just make sure you turn iCloud backup off when you do.

If you want to go back, DFU your phone and restore from that iTunes backup. Sorted.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

eh....... I mean.... yeah, it either works perfectly for what you need/want, or it doesn't. The biggest issue is that, going in completely blind, it is REALLY easy for you (not apple) to fuck up your phone and get super pissed.

Basically...

a) backup your current OS
b) upgrade to public beta
c) use public beta
ca) if public beta sucks, KNOW that if you have to revert you have to install prior version from iTunes AND will have to restore from your iOS9 (in this case) backup from days/weeks/months ago.

Fortunately now with Apple Music and iCloud Photo Library, restoring usually means worst case scenario is you lose your iMessages from during that time. Everything else is "pretty" safe.

as for the beta... beta 1 was REALLY bad for me. Beta 2 has so far been ok. The Apple Music redesign is still woefully incomplete. It looks better and everything is better laid out, but some shit is just missing. Artist hotlinks still don't work for me for example, despite MacRumors and others saying that they work now.

Can you upgrade from beta to the final release via system update, when that releases? Or will you always need to downgrade from beta first?

Sanjuro

Can you upgrade from beta to the final release via system update, when that releases? Or will you always need to downgrade from beta first?

Usually the last beta release is either the full version or you are prompted for another update. When you opt out, you are bumped down to the last regular release, however shouldn't lose anything.

It's my guess it wouldn't revert back to El Capitain though.

FaintDeftone

Backups of both completed. I'm making the jump on my iPhone 6S+ and my late 2010 MacBook Air. I wonder if Sierra will finally be the MacOS that makes my aging Air useless.

iOS 10 isn't on the beta site yet. How to do we it? I tried updated my firmware, but it says I am already at the latest iOS9.3 Beta 5 update.

EDIT: Nevermind. I guess the files just aren't up yet.

Xando

Just update to iOS 9.3.3 PB 5 like 2 hours ago.

Do we know at what time iOS 10 PB will be available today?

Guess Who

Banned
How's the latest Sierra preview? Tempted to install it but I'd rather not deal with the hassle of rolling back via Time Machine if shit goes wrong.

So I know Apple doesn't recommend you put these on primary devices, buuuuuuuuut..... I only have one iPhone and this beta is so tempting

Guess Who

Banned
The biggest problem I have with iOS 10's beta is that LINE is totally broken, at least on my iPad. Every incoming message just says it's encrypted with Letter Sealing and can't be read.

Cromwell

Banned
I really want to try out Sierra but worried Adobe CC Apps like Premiere Pro and LR won't work with it. Can anyone report back on that front?

TimFL

Oh man that Apple watch profile I downloaded better mean Watch OS 3

I think it means you installed the iOS10 PB profile on your Apple Watch (and not that you get Watch OS 3).

Going to bite the bullet and hop on the beta train. Wanted to work on an iOS app with a friend anyways (that requires iOS10).

Got an encrypted iTunes backup just in case but I guess I'll ride the beta hype train all the way to the GM and then exit last minute for a fresh iOS10 install.

kiguel182

Hopefully the beta is stable, I really want to try the new IOS version. Especially for Apple Music.

Edit: I have a backup anyway so it's fine.

Well, looks like I'm not getting the beta. I have a piece-of-shit bottom-of-the-barrel-in-2011 laptop that can't install iTunes and Apple support can't help with that, so I can't make an encrypted backup and archive it. So, yeah. Don't feel comfortable just relying on an iCloud backup on this one

Guess Who

Banned
Well, looks like I'm not getting the beta. I have a piece-of-shit bottom-of-the-barrel-in-2011 laptop that can't install iTunes and Apple support can't help with that, so I can't make an encrypted backup and archive it. So, yeah. Don't feel comfortable just relying on an iCloud backup on this one

What problem do you have with installing iTunes? I might be able to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom