• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Applying for jobs is exhausting and soul-crushing

hampig

I have a question.

I had an interview last Monday, a week ago from today at an accounting firm. It was my third and final interview, and things went well I thought. At the end they told me that they'd come to a decision quickly and be in touch in the next few days. It's been a week and I haven't heard anything yet. Should I try to reach out to them or is it better to not say anything?

I have a question.

I had an interview last Monday, a week ago from today at an accounting firm. It was my third and final interview, and things went well I thought. At the end they told me that they'd come to a decision quickly and be in touch in the next few days. It's been a week and I haven't heard anything yet. Should I try to reach out to them or is it better to not say anything?

I believe you should, in th manner of saying,

Hello x, I wanted to do a follow-up on this position as it greatly interested me. Curious to know if im still a potential candidate for this position.

I have a question.

For the most part, you should always reach out. It shows initiative and that you actually want the job. Just be polite and brief with your messages.

Fisty

Hmmm so I applied for a different job internally within my company, had "final" interview 2 weeks ago, have heard zero feedback, noticed my application status was updated mid to late last week and the requisition was closed, but I haven't received an offer...

Am I fucked, gaf?

I think I remember you. You've been unemployed for a bit, right?

Have you tried restaurants? Can you bartend?

applied to Cheesecake Factory a couple weeks ago but never heard anything back

I've never bartended but I think I could.. I've watched a lot of bar rescue 🤔

am I making a mistake applying online instead of in person? thanks for membering me

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I dont wanna make a new thread so I'll post here..

I have a job, it's a great job. Prob is is that its away from home. I work at this place 4 days out of my city and one day in my city. Prob? I have a family and kids I rarely see as I don't commute. I applied for a job very similar to what I do now and I was accepted. But my employer offered more compensation AND a re-location closer to home.

I already emailed my "would have-been boss" and I feel horrible for taking their time. Especially since they told me it was between me and another candidate. I just hope the other person gets called back and offered the position. I'm 3 years into my company job and can't leave it (i was willing to for my family) but that is not the case any more. I still feel bad though.

Why do you feel bad? It seemed to have worked out for everyone. You got more money and working closer to home. The other company had their decision made for them with you withdrawing. Your current company gets a much happier employee. Seems everyone should be happy. No need to feel bad at all.

Had a interview for a job I would really want. It went fine. Felt like I did well. Felt I answered the questions well and had a good rapport with the interviewer

We shall see I guess. One of the smoother interviews I have ever had.

What was interesting though was they didnt ask THAT much about my most recent job which seemed like the most relevant to the job I was interviewing for. A lot of the questions where to do with hobbies and interests and some non relevant experience I had on my CV as more of a "this is what I was doing these years" kind of thing.

dskillzhtown

So after three interviews and a background check, I still didn't get the job. What the hell man

It happens and you feel like you completely wasted your time, effort and hope when it does. I went through that before. They actually eliminated the position before I got hired officially. I was salty as hell.

It happens and you feel like you completely wasted your time, effort and hope when it does. I went through that before. They actually eliminated the position before I got hired officially. I was salty as hell.

The good thing about it is he did say he'll talk to the manager down the street at the other location because they had a position open. But he could be lying for all I know

I think I remember you. You've been unemployed for a bit, right?

Have you tried restaurants? Can you bartend?

Do people not train anymore? I would do a lot of jobs, but it seems like most decent jobs require you to have experience doing the same job before you can get it. I would do bartending after a former co-worker told me she makes $400 a night in tips. I was thinking, why the fuck does she work here then with all that money? That's like $2500 a week.

ionitron

So I suppose I can find out tomorrow when I call them....

But a couple of weeks ago I had an interview for a museum position. Today they called me, but I wasn't near my phone. I wasn't expecting to get the job, because I kinda screwed up my application... they left a voice mail saying to call them back when I have a chance, but I didn't have my phone until well past business hours (7 PM). I suppose there's a chance I got the position because the lady that interviewed me knew me from my previous intern experience there, but.. I dunno.

How often does someone call you to tell you you didn't get the job? I didn't get an email...

entremet

applied to Cheesecake Factory a couple weeks ago but never heard anything back

I've never bartended but I think I could.. I've watched a lot of bar rescue 🤔

am I making a mistake applying online instead of in person? thanks for membering me
Yes, and you need to follow up.

I browse this topic a lot and occasionally post about my job hunting. My callback rates for applications is getting higher, but I was wondering if you guys could review my resume? I just took out company names/locations.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-5ZNTXPZEwCMjdFeWtULU9zZWc

Also, I am mostly looking for sales or marketing jobs atm. Do you guys think it is relevant to list sales made outside of a professional environment? For instance, using social media to sell home produced music to other musicians across the country? Id have to reword it obviously for a resume. I mentioned it briefly in a sales interview and the person seemed to like it.

Mr. F

Banned
back in the demoralization spiral, feels like I always get 90% of the way to something promising before it becomes a total dead end. I have no idea what to do

I have to a special agent test tomorrow. Hopefully I can pass this. I’m just horrible at written test. I’m not worried at all about the interview, physical test, background/polygraph. However, I’m fucking terrible at standardized testing. I mean my current job is decent; however it’s not something I want to make a career of. I really want to become an 1811.

Why can't I get phone interviews? I don't have a car and it's a lot of trouble to travel to another state for an interview and I might not even get the job. I looked today and I can't even get a train to the interview in time unless I go two days in advance.

So I interviewed for a position last Monday at a big firm I had been targeting for a little while. The interview was with 4 different people in 30 minute intervals which I thought went pretty well with at least 3 of the 4. Overall I didn't feel I could respond much better to the questions. They mentioned they had a couple other people to interview and would be finished by Thursday/Friday (I got a conflicting answer from two people), but haven't heard anything back just yet. I sent thank you e-mails last week.

In terms of follow up, what timeframe do you think is appropriate to wait? I know offers can take time and all but I'm starting to get a bit anxious. Sadly I haven't really applied much since this whole ball was rolling, what with working a full time job as is (been looking to hop) and going to school full time, I barely have the time/energy to commit to applying.

Slo

Why can't I get phone interviews? I don't have a car and it's a lot of trouble to travel to another state for an interview and I might not even get the job. I looked today and I can't even get a train to the interview in time unless I go two days in advance.

What positions are you applying for and why so far away?

Flux

So I interviewed for a position last Monday at a big firm I had been targeting for a little while. The interview was with 4 different people in 30 minute intervals which I thought went pretty well with at least 3 of the 4. Overall I didn't feel I could respond much better to the questions. They mentioned they had a couple other people to interview and would be finished by Thursday/Friday (I got a conflicting answer from two people), but haven't heard anything back just yet. I sent thank you e-mails last week.

In terms of follow up, what timeframe do you think is appropriate to wait? I know offers can take time and all but I'm starting to get a bit anxious. Sadly I haven't really applied much since this whole ball was rolling, what with working a full time job as is (been looking to hop) and going to school full time, I barely have the time/energy to commit to applying.
Write an email Monday. That's one week from your interview and enough time from what they had said.

dskillzhtown

back in the demoralization spiral, feels like I always get 90% of the way to something promising before it becomes a total dead end. I have no idea what to do

You don't have any choice but to keep trying. Something will happen for you. It always does. I have been at the end of my rope (it felt like) and finally something happened. I actually applied for a position that I had zero hopes of getting and it worked out. I know this sounds really bad, but take a break in applying and looking at job boards for a couple of days. Stop, smell the roses, play some videogames, go outside, do some yardwork, whatever to get your mind off of it. You HAVE to do that. If not, you will be completely depressed.

Mr. F

Banned
You don't have any choice but to keep trying. Something will happen for you. It always does. I have been at the end of my rope (it felt like) and finally something happened. I actually applied for a position that I had zero hopes of getting and it worked out. I know this sounds really bad, but take a break in applying and looking at job boards for a couple of days. Stop, smell the roses, play some videogames, go outside, do some yardwork, whatever to get your mind off of it. You HAVE to do that. If not, you will be completely depressed.

Kind of already there. battling depression on the side hasn't helped any, and 8 months after being laid off it really starts to feel like you have nothing to offer

Minamu

I have to a special agent test tomorrow. Hopefully I can pass this. I’m just horrible at written test. I’m not worried at all about the interview, physical test, background/polygraph. However, I’m fucking terrible at standardized testing. I mean my current job is decent; however it’s not something I want to make a career of. I really want to become an 1811.
Special agent as in FBI? :O

Emwitus

Hi guys. Is it common practice to interview for a specific position and be offered a different job. The offer was for a lower position and they never even mentioned what I interviewed for. I feel disrespected.

Minamu

Hi guys. Is it common practice to interview for a specific position and be offered a different job. The offer was for a lower position and they never even mentioned what I interviewed for. I feel disrespected.
Same thing happened to me recently, I was quite taken aback as well. Didn't come up until at the end of the interview either. No idea if it's common or okay though. Certainly didn't help their case. Interviewees are so careful with making a good first impression but really, it goes both ways.

Special agent as in FBI? :O

Special agent for the USSS. I actually took the FBI one back in Feb, but I didn't pass. They said I could come back in three months and try again. However, if I don't pass it that time then I can't take it anymore. I'd prefer the FBI, but I'll take the USSS. So hopefully I pass this. If not, I can try the FBI again. I'd also like DEA or ATF, but those rarely open.

Minamu

Special agent for the USSS. I actually took the FBI one back in Feb, but I didn't pass. They said I could come back in three months and try again. However, if I don't pass it that time then I can't take it anymore. I'd prefer the FBI, but I'll take the USSS. So hopefully I pass this. If not, I can try the FBI again. I'd also like DEA or ATF, but those rarely open.
Wow, that's so cool :D What kind of tests do they do for such jobs? Sounds super interesting.

Wow, that's so cool :D What kind of tests do they do for such jobs? Sounds super interesting.

It's mostly logic based reasoning questions and language usage (errors in documents). Also observation (look at these photos and remember everything in them in a short amount of time).

With that being said, I'm off to take it.

Flux

By last Monday I meant the one prior to the one this week...so it's been over a week now. Fair game to reach out any time then?
Yes reach out to them. Don't mentioned the "over one week" part just do a general inquiry. If you don't get an email response within a day, it's a good idea to give them a call.

link1201

I had an on campus interview today. The career services director emailed all the applicants that they should mail a handwritten thank you note to the prospective employer. Not an email..

I find this odd. Is this a common activity. I get the follow up but to insist it's mailed? Thoughts?

Slo

I had an on campus interview today. The career services director emailed all the applicants that they should mail a handwritten thank you note to the prospective employer. Not an email..

I find this odd. Is this a common activity. I get the follow up but to insist it's mailed? Thoughts?

I understand the sentiment of the director, not sure if I think it's all that important or just old school thinking...

He essentially wants you to do a hand written note for exactly the reasons that you're resisting writing a hand written note. It's 10x easier for you to just blast off an email, and it's equally easy for your email to get ignored or deleted by the person receiving it. Hand writing the note and snail mailing it is more work, but it also puts a hand written note with your name on it literally into the hands of the person that you're following up with.

Put in a little extra effort and stand out if you actually, you know, want to stand out.

link1201

I understand the sentiment of the director, not sure if I think it's all that important or just old school thinking...

He essentially wants you to do a hand written note for exactly the reasons that you're resisting writing a hand written note. It's 10x easier for you to just blast off an email, and it's equally easy for your email to get ignored or deleted by the person receiving it. Hand writing the note and snail mailing it is more work, but it also puts a hand written note with your name on it literally into the hands of the person that you're following up with.

Put in a little extra effort and stand out if you actually, you know, want to stand out.
That's true. I just wanted to see if it was way out in left field. I don't want to come off hokey to the person actually doing the hiring. Thanks

Aceun

I'm a campus recruiter and my recommendation is to refrain from stuff like this. A thoughtful e-mail is always better than a hand written thank you note. It can feel like a nice sentiment, but it mostly comes across as strange.

link1201

I'm a campus recruiter and my recommendation is to refrain from stuff like this. A thoughtful e-mail is always better than a hand written thank you note. It can feel like a nice sentiment, but it mostly comes across as strange.
Exactly what I'm afraid of. I'll have to think about this one.

Another question to anyone with an opinion.

Would it be strange to connect with interviewer on LinkedIn? I'm not a big user and not sure if it's appropriate to add someone after only just meeting them.

Exactly what I'm afraid of. I'll have to think about this one.

Another question to anyone with an opinion.

Would it be strange to connect with interviewer on LinkedIn? I'm not a big user and not sure if it's appropriate to add someone after only just meeting them.

Regarding your handwritten note thing, do both an email and handwritten note.

If the interviewer is looking to make a quick decision within the week, you can't afford to wait for the note to arrive in the mail.

Only add people to linkedin after the decision.
Don't make them uncomfortable.

Applying for jobs is half as soul-crushing as having a job.

Fuck work.

Depending on the work.

Aceun

I'm not super active on Linkedin oddly enough, but it has become standard on the job market. It's not weird to add someone after you've had an interview with them.

For what it's worth though, personally I find it's more appropriate to add someone on LinkedIn after you meet them at a networking type of event or once you start working somewhere. Interviews can get awkward.

I think my coworkers are catching on that I'm interviewing at other companies, since I'm in post-interview wait depression/0 production mode for too long lol.

Grimsen

After 13 years with my current employer, I applied today at another company.

I'm stuck at my current position, and my boss has been bullshitting me for over a year about advancement.

Not sure if I'll get a response, we'll see.

Slo

After 13 years with my current employer, I applied today at another company.

I'm stuck at my current position, and my boss has been bullshitting me for over a year about advancement.

Not sure if I'll get a response, we'll see.

Sounds like you're ready to move. Good for you. The only thing I'd tell you to do differently is to not apply just once, this is really a numbers game.

Good luck.

Flux

I think my coworkers are catching on that I'm interviewing at other companies, since I'm in post-interview wait depression/0 production mode for too long lol.
I started checking out and applying to other jobs ever since I saw the thread about how companies are not your friend or something to that effect.

Been trying to find a good place to take a call. Only had one but ended up going down to the main lobby since it's open enough and away from nosy coworkers.

I don't mind the job I have, I only started this calendar year, but it's so tempting daydreaming of a better position/salary.

Yes reach out to them. Don't mentioned the "over one week" part just do a general inquiry. If you don't get an email response within a day, it's a good idea to give them a call.

Well glad I followed up, got a call today saying they're gonna extend the offer to me shortly. This will be the 2nd company I've ever worked with in my 5 years out of school so this is really exciting for me (and gonna be a new experience turning in my 2 weeks notice).

Top Bottom