• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April U.S. Primaries |OT| Vote in 20 Turns for World Leader

Status
Not open for further replies.

HariKari

I think Puerto Rico will be competitive for Bernie. I live here. He's got a ton of supporters.

Don't reduce it to "They're Hispanic; of course Bernie's gonna get crushed there!". Frankly, it's annoying.

Bernie wins, it'll just be "those damn low information voters" again.

At least they're done as of Saturday, the end of Bernies high digit wins.

Well, the end of the streak, anyway. I'd peg him as very likely to win WV, KY, OR and both Dakotas by 10+, somewhat less likely to win Montana by 10+, and somewhat unlikely to win Indiana by 10+.

Bernie wins, it'll just be "those damn low information voters" again.

We talking shit about "those damn low information voters" after ya own campaign's surrogates have spent half their waking hours since March 1 handwaving the South as low-info?

You think he will (possibly) lose Oregon?

If he loses Oregon it's gonna be because that state's entire population under the age of 45 was mysteriously abducted the minute they decided they wanted to vote, much like the same thing applies in reverse to New York

Crayons

Banned
Hillary has a ten point win in New York but we still have two weeks and I'm gonna go out there and put up fliers for Bernie til I pass out

I know that the people I know are not representative of the entire city (young), but I don't know a single person who is supporting Hillary here. Amongst every single person I have asked, it's been Bernie Sanders.

Y'all Hillary people don't seem to have the same enthusiasm as Bernie Sanders supporters, either.

Steel

Banned
Bernie, please, you don't have to act like a school teacher in your speeches.

A network isn't covering the candidate who is losing as much as the candidate who is winning. It's a conspiracy. #OccupyCNN

They don't cover Hillary very much either. Trump is the one taking the airwaves. Hell, the fact that he's a ratings magnet is the only reason he's gotten as far as he had. It's a media conspiracy. Even Ted Cruz gets more coverage than Hillary.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
That's the new spin?

I remember Hillary supporters here talking about how Hawaii was going to be a blowout for Hillary 'cause only white people like Sanders.

i asked for a second example? who says anything about "the new spin"?

just say you dont have a second example.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hillary has a ten point win in New York but we still have two weeks and I'm gonna go out there and put up fliers for Bernie til I pass out

I know that the people I know are not representative of the entire city (young), but I don't know a single person who is supporting Hillary here. Amongst every single person I have asked, it's been Bernie Sanders.

Y'all Hillary people don't seem to have the same enthusiasm as Bernie Sanders supporters, either.

You don't even know Hillary supporters so how could you even know that?

Miles X

Good thing we have Bernie supporters to help out Hillary in the GE then isn't it ;-)

Valhelm

contribute something
Great night for Cruz, slight disappointment for Bernie. Unless he manages to pull a >10% margin in Wisconsin and every future win, he isn't going to be able to counter Hillary's delegate lead.

Speaking anecdotally, and I've posted something along this line before:

I saw a hell of a lot more actual workable enthusiasm from my fellow Obama '08/'12 vets while working in Ohio last month than I saw from any of the people sharing Dank Meme Stash posts on a regular basis, and my Facebook friends were something like a 10:90 split on those lines.

Like, actual workable enthusiasm - they got more people to vote, they physically brought more people to the polls, they set up more reminders to people to vote early or on E-day.

(This is with me volunteering on a part-time basis right next to OSU, which is among the most skewed-toward-the-young areas in the entire state. Like, the only county I can think of with proportionally more young people is Athens, and that's because OU is literally the only thing there. The ratio would've been much closer if I'd been in Cuyahoga County instead.)

And that was a state I was expecting Sanders to win!

All the enthusiasm in the world ain't shit when they still find excuses to not vote, and they always seem to.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Enthusiasm turns people on.

I don't see people canvassing for Hillary
I don't see Hillary fliers
I don't see anyone volunteering for Hillary

And I don't see people canvasing for Bernie. Anecdotal evidence goes both ways and means all of jack.

IIRC, they cut his speech out on one of his last victory speeches not too long ago

If he goes too long they'll cut out here too. If they have other stuff to cover they'll cut out.

HariKari

IIRC, they cut his speech out on one of his last victory speeches not too long ago

Yeah, anytime the crowd got enthused, they found an excuse to cut. One of them was to call the state for him... in the middle of his victory speech. I don't think it's conspiratorial, just shitty production on their part.

Joeytj

Banned
Even though Hillary is getting the nom, it really isn't a great look for her to be losing all these states.

Why do Sanders supporters remember so little about the 2008 primary? Are they really that young or where so uninterested 8 years ago?

Hillary actually won the raw vote (because caucus states have few actual people voting) and "won" 23 states, which is about what Sanders probably will end up with, she managed to win the biggest states, like California, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Texas, and she STILL lost to Obama in the delegate count, and nobody thought Obama looked bad because of it.

Well, that's not correct. Butthurt Hillary supporters like PUMA did, and yeah, the almost exact same amount of denial and arguments were coming out of the Hillary camp as they are now coming from Sanders supporters.

Miles X

Enthusiasm turns people on.

Yet she'll win hands down in NY, I don't really see your point. Bernie fans shout the loudest?

Why do Sanders supporters remember so little about the 2008 primary? Are they really that young or where so uninterested 8 years ago?

They don't know anything about math (seemingly) and Bernie doesn't know how a supreme court works, why do you expect them to know about 08? lol

They write their own narrative and damn anything that begs to differ.

dankir

So does Cruz or Bernie winning actually change anything? Or do Drumpf and Clinton still have insurmountable leads?

Phased

Even TYT cut his speeches off sometimes and they worship at the throne of Sanders.

The truth of the matter is his victory speeches more often than not are just his stump speeches recited line for line. You can't blame a network for cutting the same speech everyone has heard a hundred times.

As an example, I've watched 3 or 4 of his speeches, victory and loss, and I've heard the "Nobody asked me for my birth certificate!" line in just about every one if I recall.

They're good stump speeches unless you've heard them before.

Recent Gallup poll actually suggests that Hillary supporters are more enthusiastic. Of course enthusiasm is a fickle thing.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
So does Cruz or Bernie winning actually change anything? Or do Drumpf and Clinton still have insurmountable leads?

Cruz winning -> contested convention just got more likely
Bernie winning -> more pressure on Clinton to win in New York, possibly a boon to Sanders' numbers as opposed to not winning. Clinton still has that "insurmountable lead" since Bernie only slightly chips away at the deficit.

At this moment Trump is looking more and more shaky in terms of getting to 1,287.

If Trump doesn't reach that number by the convention, we're expecting the dissolution of the Republican Party and a new era in American politics.

Steel

Banned

Cruz's win makes it more likely that there's a contested convention. Trump could easily not hit the necessary number. On the other hand, since the democratic primary is proportional, Bernie only nets 6 delegates out of Wisconsin. He needs over 200 more delegates to tie Hilary. Superdelegates makes a contested convention impossible.

HariKari

Republicans are headed towards a contested convention now. Unless Bernie's momentum manifests in a big way in big states, nothing changes.

On the Republician side it opens up a bigger chance of a contested contest, democrat side....actually lowers Bernies' chances to winning if he can't beat the 12.5% win margin here.

legacyzero

Banned
If he goes too long they'll cut out here too. If they have other stuff to cover they'll cut out.
Now that makes sense. Bernie can go on forever lol.

I volunteered at his rally in La Crosse, and yeah, he went a while!

Old man has some longevity!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Now that makes sense. Bernie can go on forever lol.

I volunteered at his rally in La Crosse, and yeah, he went a while!

Old man has some longevity!

It's news, if they cut out it means they have something else to cover. It's not some conspiracy against him, it just means they can't afford to give him the whole time.

Crayons

Banned
Is projecting a skill exclusive to the youth as well?
I'm only speaking from what I have seen here. And what I've seen here makes me believe that the race in New York will not be the blowout you believe. Even if Bernie loses, a close race would be huge in the news

Valhelm

contribute something

Unless Trump gets some kind of huge breath of life, he's probably done. Trump's biggest hope is an uncontested convention, but Cruz's massive win makes that unlikely. The delegates at the convention will be really unwilling to nominate him.

Bernie is probably done, as much as I hate to admit it. He needs to replicate these margins and then some if he wants to stay competitive, but California, Pennsylvania, and potentially even New York (his home state) could crush him if he loses as badly as he did in the South.

DR2K

Banned
Will Bernie use all the extra money he raised to help Democrats in the house and senate once this race is over or nah?

Brinbe

On the real, fuck Bernie right now. Can't listen to this garbage any longer. Peddling false hope and taking money from people that probably need it.

Mr. RPG

Bernie is probably done, as much as I hate to admit it. He needs to replicate these margins and then some if he wants to stay competitive, but California, Pennsylvania, and potentially even New York (his home state) could crush him if he loses as badly as he did in the South.

Bernie isn't going to lose California by 40 or 30 points.

Cipherr

Man according to you all, you have never seen any of the above, yet she is still way ahead in delegates and total votes.

Honestly I'm just glad we are finally here. Couple more weeks and we can put the circus to rest and start thinking about the main event. April has been a long time coming man.

I'm only speaking from what I have seen here. And what I've seen here makes me believe that the race in New York will not be the blowout you believe. Even if Bernie loses, a close race would be huge in the news

The only thing huge in the news after NY will be Clintons securing of the nom for the most part. The "it was close" narrative starts to lose traction as the end approaches. No one is going to care about second place after a while. That's just how it works. They aren't going to talk about if it was close, they are going to talk about how nigh impossible it will be for him to win the nom after he has lost NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom