• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARC Raiders genre changed to PvPvE extraction shooter

mitch1971

So, just a Division darkzone game.

John Candy No GIF by Laff

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Oh man how intresting, I hope it enjoys falling face first onto the corpses of every other fucking shooter released in the last 5 years trying to be Tarkov.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
More Arc Raiders news!!!!!!!!

7hHmvje.gif

It doesnt sound too bad but they really should include a Raid mode that doesnt have any sort of PvP elements.
I like Tarkov and Hunt Showdown, but those games can get so stressful, this looked to be more light hearted and fun coop experience me and my buddies doing raids back to back.

Black_Stride

How do you just decide to change the genre and why? Either way, I wasn't gonna buy anyway.
DXpNvu9X4AIQJN1.jpg

It was always a Free to play game.

I don't know what that means.
Originally it was a fully co-op experience of players vs the ARC Robots, with boss battles showing up in the world.
When not in combat you could effectively just chill, explore fight solo or whatever you want........think of it like the Destiny, players are all doing their own thing but can coop with each other if they want to in the overworld.

Now its more like Tarkov and Hunt Showdown, while in the overworld other players can choose to work with you......or kill you for your loot.

Black_Stride

Dissapointing…… but at least it introduced me to this song.

Too right.
That first trailer was hype half because of this song.

If theres still good coop in this im still down to give it a go.
Hopefully the community isnt as ruthless as Hunt Showdown so it doesnt develve into a massive death match that just so happens to have some AI robots around.
d hope players work together more often than not.

And if they can include a raid mode that doesnt have PvP im all in.

<---Still gonna give it a go, got nothing to lose.

MiguelItUp

Welp, hopefully this is still handled well and with passion instead of just trying to be a slice of what's hot right now.

Granted, I don't know shit about game development but how exactly does one just "change genres" randomly? Legit question, not being snarky. Was the original announced concept fairly similar and they essentially just shifted some components around? I've actually been really interested in this one based on the cool Rollerball-ish 70s aesthetics.

All that being said, I play Hunt: Showdown constantly so sure, why not.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol this was always announced and shown as a PvE shooter. They have just added PvP to it. thats all. Everyone knew that Battlefield devs were going to have pvp battles in this game. come on.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Edit: im feeling salty over the overwatch news. Just tired of devs announcing things then changing plans or failing to deliver.

Last edited:
Hopefully the community isnt as ruthless as Hunt Showdown so it doesnt develve into a massive death match that just so happens to have some AI robots around.
d hope players work together more often than not.
I will say based on what I've seen of ARC so far, and it could've totally changed by now, the "vE" component seems way bigger than Hunt. The AI in Hunt exists to facilitate PvP and are essentially noise traps. ARC doesn't give me that impression at all based on the gameplay footage they have out there at least.

Black_Stride

I will say based on what I've seen of ARC so far, and it could've totally changed by now, the "vE" component seems way bigger than Hunt. The AI in Hunt exists to facilitate PvP and are essentially noise traps. ARC doesn't give me that impression at all based on the gameplay footage they have out there at least.
We havent seen any of the PvP gameplay from this game.
The only gameplay we have seen is of the PvE component, which was in the initial trailer, where we were fighting the ARC and trying to gather as much loot (that was vP) component.
The other "gameplay" was just showing off the different environments in the game.

Ill sign up for the Alpha Test, hopefully I manage to get in, cuz I like this team already after The Finals and just looking at the talent they have.
1*rFgWpgNhk0km1dx1WKFoZg.gif

I thought this was always an online PvPvE game?
This is the original description of the game:

ARC Raiders is a cooperative, free-to-play, third-person shooter where you and your squad of Raiders unite to resist the onslaught of ARC – a ruthless, mechanized threat descending from space. ARC Raiders will release in 2023 on PC through Epic and Steam, on Nvidia GeForce NOW’s game streaming service, as well as on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S consoles.

Last edited:

Fbh

Granted, I don't know shit about game development but how exactly does one just "change genres" randomly? Legit question, not being snarky. Was the original announced concept fairly similar and they essentially just shifted some components around? I've actually been really interested in this one based on the cool Rollerball-ish 70s aesthetics.

All that being said, I play Hunt: Showdown constantly so sure, why not.

Well I don't think it's just a random change.
Maybe they saw that the game as they originally envisioned it just wasn't coming together, or the response to internal testing (and/or focus testing) wasn't very good, or they implemented some sort of rudimentary PVP for testing and realized it made the game more engaging, etc.

lol this was always announced and shown as a PvE shooter. They have just added PvP to it. thats all. Everyone knew that Battlefield devs were going to have pvp battles in this game. come on.

I was expecting some sort of the PVP mode like Destiny, or specific optional PVP areas.
The way it's described it just sounds like another one of those games where you need to be on the lookout for enemy players all the time and the community is 99% 15 years old griefers.

Black_Stride

It was already a PvE game.....they likely turned on "friendly fire" and realized while playing it was actually kinda fun and tense working together to take down the ARC then fighting each other to steal loot from other players.
Or seeing someone fighting ARC and just watching till they die (either side) then coming in and cleaning up.

Think Fortnite....it was originally a coop shooter.
The BattleRoyale mode was just a mode for testing shit.....but killing each other in that sandbox ended up being more fun than Coop so the game effectively became "just BR mode".......Fortnite: Save the World is still playable but it hasnt been updated in eons.

Well I don't think it's just a random change.
Maybe they saw that the game as they originally envisioned it just wasn't coming together, or the response to internal testing (and/or focus testing) wasn't very good, or they implemented some sort of rudimentary PVP for testing and realized it made the game more engaging, etc.

Yup.
This is what I think happened.
They loaded up a session with friendly fire on or something and they had a blast.

Phase

We havent seen any of the PvP gameplay from this game.
The only gameplay we have seen is of the PvE component, which was in the initial trailer, where we were fighting the ARC and trying to gather as much loot (that was vP) component.
The other "gameplay" was just showing off the different environments in the game.

Ill sign up for the Alpha Test, hopefully I manage to get in, cuz I like this team already after The Finals and just looking at the talent they have.
1*rFgWpgNhk0km1dx1WKFoZg.gif

This is the original description of the game:

ARC Raiders is a cooperative, free-to-play, third-person shooter where you and your squad of Raiders unite to resist the onslaught of ARC – a ruthless, mechanized threat descending from space. ARC Raiders will release in 2023 on PC through Epic and Steam, on Nvidia GeForce NOW’s game streaming service, as well as on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S consoles.
Now the question (for me) is will it have crossplay. I need more games I can play with my brother on ps5. There are so few, even in 2023...

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Chasing the current hot thing.

Remember when Sony chased the current hot thing in 1994 with home console videogames? Should have stuck to the Walkman...

I assume you're not a multiplayer gamer, but open world Tarkov type games are rife with potential. The concept has insanely strong bones.

Lasha

The change definitely has my attention. I enjoy PvPvE games. Especially when E is interesting. Third person makes me hesitant purely for the cheese that the camera angle allows. It's really annoying to be blindsided by somebody who has your head zeroed in from around a corner.

I don't get the fears about not being able to chill. My best tarkov memories consist of grabbing some mosins and hanging out in a nest with the boys shooting the shit and seeing who could plink the longest player. It's pretty relaxing.

Top Bottom