• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade games that save your progress

I've been messing around with my MAME cabinet trying to get it 100% complete and I happened to boot up Gauntlet Legends to see how the 3D performance was these days with i3 processors (hint: still not perfect, but better that it used to be.) When I loaded it up, I was reminded how cool it was that it saved your character level on the machine via initials and a password, so that when you went back to the arcade you Green Fighter started back at the level he was last time you played.

I'm not sure what was so cool about that, but I've always thought that it's super-awesome that a piece of your progress is saved at an arcade at the mall or shopping strip where you're arcade was located at. Throughout the 80's, arcades begin saving just the high score itself, then evolved into initials and score, which then evolved into a top 10 list, etc. Games like Gauntlet Legends took it to the next level with the RPG-like character saving, and games such as F-Zero AX and Initial D took it a step further with a physical card that was dispensed with your character or racing data which you could then bring back and continue on to the next level. It also loops in the idea of asynchronous multiplayer that's popular with iOS games like Words with Friends or Forza Motorsports 5's Drivatar on Xbox One....instead of playing live multiplayer with someone, you could play a ghost in Soul Calibur 2 or race against a ghost of a player that previously played at that particular machine. The feature is quite common in Japanese arcades, even to this day, but still seemed like a novelty here in the west...definitely an exception rather than a rule.

I searched around the Internet and couldn't find any page that rounded up all the arcade games that did this, so I wanted to see if some of you guys could chime in on games that had support similar to Gauntlet Legends.

Off the top of my head:

Gauntlet Legends

lNcpkuM.png

Gauntlet Legends allowed you to save your character's level at the arcade via initals and a PIN code. I believe the level cap was 200, and I spent many quarters building up my character over a summer.

Soul Calibur II

kdBEArGl.jpg

The arcade edition of Soul Calibur 2 had a mode called Conquest Mode that was super awesome. Basically, you picked 1 of 4 factions and battled ten ghost fighters of other players of opposing factions in order to slowly build towards taking over the map. Once the map was completely conquered, the map was reset and the game would begin again. Sadly, this mode was replaced with Weaponsmaster mode on the console editions, and the HD remixes also left this mode out, even though an always-online console could have made it work really well.

Red Earth

namWfj9l.jpg

Red Earth was a Capcom fighter/beat em up game that allowed similar level saving as Gauntlet Legends. I believe max level was 32, and although you still had to start from the beginning of the game when you enter your previous password, you still retained your unlocked skills and character level. Way ahead of it's time IMO.

Initial D

LEeifrE.jpg

Initial D was an arcade racer that allowed you to save your story progress and character via magnetic cards, similar to subway passes. The cards cost around 2 dollars extra and lasted for 50 gameplay sessions. Unfortunatly, many arcade operators didn't really want to keep up with either restocking the cards when they ran out, or repairing the card slot when some idiot put gum in there.

Other arcade games that support saving:

F-Zero AX (magnetic cards)
Golden Tee (passwords first, then network connected with player cards later)
Wangan Midnight (megnetic cards I believe)
Fast and Furious (password via a phone-style number pad)

Does anyone know of any other games that supported this sort of progress-saving asynchronous-multiplayer-like feature?

entremet

Neo Geo! They had memory card slots that could be used for AES systems and MVS arcade cabinets.

I've never seen anyone use it since AES systems were so damn expensive along with the games.

Thinking about it, it was kinda stupid since if you had an AES, why waste quarters on the MVS versions?

Krejlooc

Banned
Some neo geo cabinets had a slot for the neo geo memory card. The same memory card works in the aes. It'll save your progress in virtually every game. I guess the idea was you could play in the arcades, lose, then go home and start from where you left off.

I have a sam sho 2 save at the final boss that I like to use to show people how cheap snk bosses can be.

Ah crap. I forgot about Tetris Grand Masters. During the Awesom Games Done Quick marathon they showed the game and it clearly had a password/login system.

Sega Derby Owners Club

I still have a whole stable of active and retired horse cards
Been playing this with friends off and on for over a decade.
Unfortunately, as the machines in the area fall into disrepair, it gets harder and harder to play.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Oddly enough Gauntlet Legends was the first thing that came to my mind.

However, we can go even further back:

iforgotthisishowthesavingworks1.png

NBA Jam! Definitely an early example of bringing that "password saving" to the arcade.

Tekken 5 (or was it 6?) made it to the US with the Japanese card saving system intact. Also, there was one version of NFL Blitz with a port for an N64 Memory Pack where you could create and save (or just bring in) created plays. Neo Geo, as mentioned. Trying to think of others...

EDIT: And of course Blitz had the same NBA Jam-style password system.

GamerJM

Banned
DJ Max Technika

The Vita version came with a card for progress saves for the arcade version, which seemed like an incredibly odd thing to include in a 2012 US released game.

There are a variety of newer save methods for arcade games:

pkg.jpg

e-amusement by Konami

This system has been around for quite a while now and has been used on a large number of games. Things like the bemani series (beatmania IIDX, gitadora, DDR), some light gun games (Castlevania, Silent Hill: Arcade), and the Quiz Magical Academy games all run their profile data off of e-amuse. Originally, they used cards and a keypad to track data, but now they have different cards and can be accessed by the NFC chip in modern phones.

This also led to another system Konami uses for payment called Paseli, but that isn't for saved games.

banapass.jpg

Bana Passport (or Banapass) by Namco

This system is similar to e-amuse in that it uses a card to save your player data. This works on things like Tekken Tag 2, Wangan Midnight, Dragon Ball Zenkai, Taiko no Tatsujin, and the Gundam Vs. games.

aime.gif

Aime by Sega

Uses a card, same thing as Banapass, really. Works on games like Maimai, PuyoQuest, Guilty Gear Xrd, Project DIVA Arcade, Code of Joker, etc.

There are a ton of these now in Japan and I know I'm forgetting Taito's system, but this is how its done now a days.

5amshift

Banned
Image012.jpg

NFL Blitz

Good to see the BEMANI games thrown around here. Pop'n music is a good example of progression through games and song unlocks way back in Pop'n 9.

SystemUser

Oddly enough Gauntlet Legends was the first thing that came to my mind.

However, we can go even further back:

iforgotthisishowthesavingworks1.png

NBA Jam! Definitely an early example of bringing that "password saving" to the arcade.

This what I thought of first. I think one of my friends beat 10 teams. I think I saw a beat the game once at the arcade. I think it costs about $30-$60 to beat NBA Jam at the arcade with no losses. I think once someone in my neighborhood got a copy we beat the game at least 4 times one summer.

Chojin

Off the top of my head there was Wangun Midnight, a driving game like initial D based on a manga, used cards with a magstrip. The other was called The Grid I think. A trackball and stick third person arena shooter by midway, used initials and a dialpad to enter your password.

WJ0QKxt.jpg

San Francisco Rush 2049 had PIN codes for savings miles driven and coins earned.

Also, if you want to be pedantic, Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, the sequel to Gauntlet Legends, had accounts as well. And yes, it was a 200 level cap, but starting a new character as their animal spirit was a 10-level offset, so that effectively made it a 209-level cap.

BiggNife

Rush 2049 had a phone keypad so you could make up a pin number to save data:

5.jpg

There was a resort that my family used to go to during the summer that had one of those, and eventually I played enough to unlock the secret cars and bonus courses.

e: ugh, beaten by two posts

NFL Blitz 99
Blitz99N64Pack.jpg

Actually, Blitz 99 saved your progress the same way all the Midway sports games did: with a simple username (and later a simple numeric password system). The N64 card reader was only used for saving/loading custom plays that you can transfer between the arcade version of the game and the N64 version.

donarumo

Neo Member
I think both Rush 2049 and HydroThunder used that save system where you enter a code. Note sure how or if this is implemented through MAME though.

giapel

I thought of NBA Jam as well. At the time, the fact that the machine remembered you after switching it off and on was mind blowing. The game was rad too, especially 4 player.

The oldest I can remember is a topdown fantasy action-rpg with vertical screen from Konami, in which combat reminded A Link to the Past but expanded. Had amazing graphics and gameplay, truly a forgotten gem and the game saved by password at the gameover. I forgot the title, should made a bit of research (release date may be around 93-94).

Muffdraul

I remember how weird Tempest seemed when it came out... There were already lots of games that let you continue where you left off, as long as you put a quarter in the slot and hit the start button within 10 seconds. But Tempest would not only do that, it would let you go back and pick any completed level you wanted to re-start on. Well, not 'any' level... it was like every other level or every third level or something. Whatever, it seemed like this crazy innovation at the time.

These are all awesome suggestions. Can't believe I forgot about NBA Jam. And it seems like Japan is still carrying the torch for keeping these sort of implementations in place in current games.

The oldest I can remember is a topdown fantasy action-rpg with vertical screen from Konami, in which combat reminded A Link to the Past but expanded. Had amazing graphics and gameplay, truly a forgotten gem and the game saved by password at the gameover. I forgot the title, should made a bit of research (release date may be around 93-94).

Was it Gaiapolis?
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/konamibeatemups/konamibeatemups4.htm

Susurrus

mcslots.jpg

Dance Dance Revolution let you copy a save from the PS1 versions (Japanese) onto a memory card specifically built for the arcades that took 2 memory card blocks. It'd save your scores and preset your initials. Also, it would let you use your edit steps from the PS1 games. Unfortunately, edits made on US games didn't work, and there was no save support from US games, so you HAD to have the Japanese version for this (specifically, 5th mix PS1 for any arcade game after 5th Mix).

Later they replaced it with e-Amusement.

system11

A bunch of the IGS scrolling fighters support smartcard readers, including:

Knights Of Valour 2
Knights Of Valour 3
Oriental Legend 2

They're on the PGM2 system, it's quite a nice bit of hardware, sadly underused.

eso76

Came here to post this.
Name is Gaiapolis.

Yep. I remember MvC2 supporting it (it allowed you to earn points for character unlocks on the Dreamcast). But the coolest thing I've found VMU related is that Virtua On allowed you to customize your mech at home using a special disc on the Dreamcast and then fight them in the arcade.

More info here

Top Bottom