• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArcadeGAF! INSERT COINS

Neff

I'd give up almost anything to relive the excitement of entering arcades in the 80s and seeing new games almost every month again.

Will make a lengthy post sharing my experiences when I get home. (on my mob at work atm).

What was so great about that era was that there was no advance knowledge of the games. No preview screenshots in magazines, no internet trailers, nothing. You'd walk into an arcade and see it, the week it was released, and (assuming there wasn't a queue) be playing it within minutes. What's more, releases were so frequent that you could have something new to play constantly depending on the size of the arcade. It was the ultimate gaming candy store culture. I miss it a lot.

Shaneus

There’s something about arcade games which I think has been lost with modern AAA games. This isn’t an either/or or a flame war against AAA games - they have their place - but arcade games always had an intensity right from the get-go; you might clear the first level or two and then - BANG! - you either shaped up or shipped out. Once you started to master a game, I think you could find a sense of flow that is still, for me, unparalleled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

Of course, part of that intensity was designed to encourage death and bring in more coins, but the cash you put in created a genuine sense of risk and reward - not just for your score, but because you might only have a few coins left and if you died, that would be it. How long you played was (usually) determined entirely by how good you were at the game and you had to embrace each game on its own terms - not just the game itself, but its controllers, the cabinet art and - especially - the sound (most games were silent until you put your money in and part of the dazzling effect came when suddenly there would be a burst of audio after you’d hit “1 player”).

Most big-budget modern games - again, for me as an old-timer - are woolly. They aspire towards cinema but tend to have shallow, badly-written stories and they aspire towards masses of content rather than intensity, meaning you end up with the worst of both worlds: a game with a predictable, derivative narrative with little difficulty and little sense of mastery. There are exceptions but, in my experience, there’s precious little sense of achievement; you never really have to ‘earn’ your right to a boss battle because the designers are so keen for you to experience the pseudo-cinematic story they have put together.
Ugh, I feel like crap for having barely skimmed through the OP. I suck.

Super interesting points about flow and risk/reward, too. It's less obvious, but I'm finding the same applies to pinball as well, but on even more of a subtle level. Pinball overall has the things similar to traditional arcade games, but modern machines are often trying to appeal to a home market by making games "deep" and having rule sets that overcomplicate and intimidate players rather than invite them. That's why I prefer a game with a layout like this:
veDaDWHl.jpg

to a game with a layout like this:
YDlhQ7b.jpg

Seriously, what the fuck are you supposed to do?!?
(for the record, I actually own the former title and wouldn't dream of ever selling it, despite it being "shallow")
First game (High Speed, 1986): Hit each of the green, yellow, then red targets to make the traffic lights "red". Then hit the upper loop shot with that upper right flipper to "run the red light", and start the police chase at "high speed" (aka multiball).
Second game (Wizard of Oz, 2013): Beats me.

Anyway, fantastic OP. Solid reminder that I need to get back into some classic arcade games again. As soon as I say that, in pops a mental image of a Ghosts 'n' Goblins cabinet I recall seeing at some arcade in Australia during the 80s. Buggered if I know where, but now I must play it on my iPad.

While I'm at it, here's a video of a guy schooling the hell out of another "shallow" game (Black Knight 2000), which happens to have possibly the most iconic music in 80s arcade gaming, let alone pinball. It's just been released on Pinball Arcade for iOS/PC/Android, too. Obviously the experience isn't as good on that than the real thing, but it's still awesome nonetheless.
I just love those mechanical sounds. Unf.

8bit

Knows the Score
Bored and soaked I recently found myself in the city I grew up in, and in trying to find something to do that didn't involve my clothing soaking up rainwater I found myself outside the Brewdog pub in Glasgow.

In here there was a cocktail style retro emulator thing with a number of old games on it, I played Galaga for a bit and this kind of put me in mind of my older arcade haunt further down town in a place called Treasure Island. As a 14 or so year old I fondly remember going there and drinking in the dayglo colours of Marble Madness, Peter Packrat, Missile Command et al. (as well as the smoke) and wondered what was in it these days to keep it open. Also my anti-Putin beer had run out and I only had euros which I didn't want to sacrifice to an unhealthy exchange rate behind the bar.

I made my way further in the cold and wet that I've never missed since leaving and wandered through the backstreets of the city. I found my way down to Treasure Island to find only lurid TV influenced money stealing Fruit Machines/One Armed Bandits/Puggies and a single cabinet multi emulator similar to the one I had left, but this one hoped for coins.

Allforce

There's quite a few "Barcades" popping up all over the States that are pretty fun. Basically just filled with arcade cabinets from the 80's and 90's all set to free-play, and you're free to play as much as you want (You Drink. You Play. For Free. is the motto of one I've been to, hanging on a big sign before you enter).

I'm 35 and grew up in the heyday of arcades, I was big time into the fighting game scene back then, shit like SFII, Killer Instinct, MKII. When I was 16 I'd drive to the bowling alley arcade every weeknight after dinner with like $1.50 in my pocket and play KI until 9 PM when I had to be home.

Over the last couple of years I've tried multiple times to find an image of a nineties era arcade with a big screen Streetfighter II cabinet and 20 or so people gathered around it waiting for their turn to challenge. Just like I remember it in it's heyday, yet Google has failed me.

I find it hard to believe that no one took a picture of a similar scene back in those days that has not found it's way to the internet yet.

Does anyone have a similar picture they can post that'll help me reminisce the magic of those days?

Shaneus

I like the idea of barcades, but I sorely miss what an old arcade/pinnie parlour used to be. Nowadays in Australia the main arcade chain (Timezone) is now 70% redemption games, 20% Raw Thrills generic titles (including Big Buck Hunter, which I see kids playing all the time... smh), 5% Sega Versus City cabs that barely see any action and 5% pinball machines. I want to go to a place that's dimly lit, has people smoking inside (although that's illegal pretty much everywhere now) and everyone's just doing their own thing. Screw arcades being flashy and all about beer or whatever. I just want people in there who are in it for the games and not for the prizes and booze :(

/old man rant

One of the main reasons I don't go to any barcades (besides the fact that I don't drink) is because it feels like hanging out in a graveyard, only the corpses get up and dance for you if you plug a coin in them.

I'm glad there's places where machines still get to run and get played, but even the places that aren't intended to be museums feel like museums. Or more to my point I guess, mausoleums.

The games are the spark for sure, but the energy of the crowds were the fuel. It won't ever be like that again, and that's fine, but that just makes me feel like I should move on.

Of course I say all this, but deep down I know that if I was given the opportunity, I'd buy every arcade machine I could find and try to make a go of it, just for old times' sake. Preserving these old games for their own merit is important I think, and a worthy thing for someone to devote a good portion of their life to.

killatopak

I really started out playing in arcades before owning any console.

I started out with Metal Slug and Strikers 1945 and those 2 games alone really left me broke. My gaming soon expanded to House of The Dead and Dance Dance Revolution. By the time I got good at Dance Dance Revolution, My father bought me a PS1 to play it at home instead of wasting my money at the arcades. Thus the story of my hobby began.

Shaneus

One of the main reasons I don't go to any barcades (besides the fact that I don't drink) is because it feels like hanging out in a graveyard, only the corpses get up and dance for you if you plug a coin in them.

I'm glad there's places where machines still get to run and get played, but even the places that aren't intended to be museums feel like museums. Or more to my point I guess, mausoleums.

The games are the spark for sure, but the energy of the crowds were the fuel. It won't ever be like that again, and that's fine, but that just makes me feel like I should move on.

Of course I say all this, but deep down I know that if I was given the opportunity, I'd buy every arcade machine I could find and try to make a go of it, just for old times' sake. Preserving these old games for their own merit is important I think, and a worthy thing for someone to devote a good portion of their life to.
Spot on. I think the biggest issue with a lot of location pinball (and video arcade games) is that they might have one or two machines setup and that's it. A podcast I was listening to recently had a theory that if there was a bank or multiple machines in a location, they'd all do far more business because there are games to alternate between and go back to. If there's just one or two it's hard to do that. Rather than have the multicade cocktail/upright cabs, people should be pushing for 3-4 dedicated machines with full artwork (plus 3-4 pinballs as well) as it's own area to hang out in. Make the spectacle the mini arcade that's popped up out of nowhere, not the one or two machines that sit there by themselves. Makes sense, IMO.

Water

Spot on. I think the biggest issue with a lot of location pinball (and video arcade games) is that they might have one or two machines setup and that's it. A podcast I was listening to recently had a theory that if there was a bank or multiple machines in a location, they'd all do far more business because there are games to alternate between and go back to. If there's just one or two it's hard to do that. Rather than have the multicade cocktail/upright cabs, people should be pushing for 3-4 dedicated machines with full artwork (plus 3-4 pinballs as well) as it's own area to hang out in. Make the spectacle the mini arcade that's popped up out of nowhere, not the one or two machines that sit there by themselves. Makes sense, IMO.
More machines also means more choice which attracts different people. I'm not going to stop to play pinball or Pac-Man, but a scrolling shoot'em up, a platformer or a beat'em up, sure. And once I stop and engage with one game, I might be inclined to take a break from it and play another I wouldn't initially have stopped for, like an action puzzle game.

Allforce

The barcades I've been to have had that spark, every one of them features tournaments nearly every night of the week, sometimes multi-week tournaments even. In fact I'd say it's even better than the old days because 1. It's free to play, and 2. The camaraderie is better now since the people playing LOVE those games and are there to play, not just hang out and kill time out of boredom.

I mean where else are you going to find a crowd of 30-something's surrounding an NFL Blitz cabinet on a Thursday night or a 4 player NBA Jam tourney that has everyone going crazy cheering and yelling? One has Mortal Kombat 2 tourneys and Street Fighter 2 competitions. They even rotate in different games every few months to keep things fresh.

It's not exactly the same as our youth (nothing ever will be), but those places do a great job of keeping that scene and atmosphere alive and well for a generation who remembers it.

Edit: After reading your post again, I feel like our definitions of "barcades" might be different. I can see a regular bar with one dual Ms Pac Man/Galaga machine and a lone pinball machine sort of depressing, but the places popping up here are FILLED (I'm talking 20+) with original cabinets set to free play and are the main attraction. You have to wait your turn on for nearly every machine, even the stuff that's wasn't that mainstream back in the day. Girls, guys, older people, younger people, everyone is playing SOMETHING or watching someone play something. Sure you could sit at a cabaret table and bullshit with a drink in hand but you are surrounded by arcade games and the cacophony of sound they create. It's marvelous.

SOME-MIST

there's crazy awesome energy at the Galloping Ghost Arcade. Granted they do over 400 cabs, wiring/soldering classes and have a dedicated competition fighting team, but it's as close to the old vibe as it can get in this day and age. the coolest was when I first walked in and saw that there was a crowd around some of the fighting arcade cabs.

*edited their gamelist out because it took up an insane amount of room.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Sorry, it's been a while since I read this thread, I was quite sad as I thought it'd died!

Nice things

Thank you!

Nice things

Thank you too!

Fellow arcadepersons, I thought this might be interesting:

http://www.polygon.com/2012/10/26/3559040/the-future-of-arcades-is-wet-huge-tiny-communal-just-not-in-your-home

PS please feel free to keep posting love letters to favourite arcade games, I (and I'm sure other people too) love reading them.

I may have to check out the Barcadia here in New Orleans, but I've heard mixed things. The closest thing we have to the old arcades is a LAN center with 4 or 5 busted ass cabinets. The nice thing about the place is occasionally people rent out a couple big screens for the evening, hook up a console, and play some fighting games.

Shaneus

I can't believe I hadn't posted these in this thread already! Arcade "ambience" MP3s. Hour (or so) length MP3s with game sounds from various eras, created to emulate the ambience of an arcade in that time. There are sounds for '81, '83, '86 and '92. I often play them in the background when I've fired up Pinball Arcade on my iPad, probably great when playing other emulated games as well :)

J-Roderton

^ Those ambience mp3s are sick!

I found a Millipede machine in the snack bar at the pool while on vacation a few weeks ago. Must have spent a good hour in there just pumping coins into it. Every time I see a cab somewhere I always try to play at least one round since they're basically a thing of the past. The laundry mat while in college used to have a Galaga/PacMan machine sitting in there. I would just stop in before class and play Galaga for a while. The only game I've ever had a high score on. Even tried to buy it off the owner. I would have loved to been there in the 80s for the prime time of arcades. Now I only can download them from Xbox Live and play. Not the same, man. I would even settle for a MAME machine, but don't even know where to start.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
This Saturday I will be taking a trip out to Yestercades in Red Bank, NJ (right near where Clerks was filmed actually). Never been, I'm just hyped to play the isometric Moonwalker arcade game again, loved that one back in the day!

Seems that arcades (of the retro variety, at least) are experiencing a very very slight revival in my part of the country. Barcade keeps opening up locations in the NY/NJ area, and even some bars out on Long Island have copied the concept slightly.

Krejlooc

Banned
Is this the thread for this? My Michael Jackson's Moonwalker board just died. It had been revived using a revival kit, so I know it's not the suicide battery. I get no picture on the screen, just black. I can hear the game running through the speakers. Any idea where I can ship it to get diagnosed and fixed?

Bydobob

Is this the thread for this? My Michael Jackson's Moonwalker board just died. It had been revived using a revival kit, so I know it's not the suicide battery. I get no picture on the screen, just black. I can hear the game running through the speakers. Any idea where I can ship it to get diagnosed and fixed?

Might be worth telling us where you are based. Meantime if you don't mind getting up close and personal this little guide to finding board faults might help:

http://www.arcaderepairtips.com/2011/03/16/inspecting-an-arcade-board/

Krejlooc

Banned
Might be worth telling us where you are based. Meantime if you don't mind getting up close and personal this little guide to finding board faults might help:

http://www.arcaderepairtips.com/2011/03/16/inspecting-an-arcade-board/

Houston, Texas. I tried taking it to a place called Houston Arcade Game Repair center but they had no clue. There's another place called Joystix here that repairs pinball machines, but I'm not sure if the can repair a board.

I'll give that guide a go later on, but a problem with working on my arcade stuff is time. I never really have the time to do anything anymore and I'd kinda prefer just sending it to someone and having them fret over it instead.

mikeysteena

Neo Member
Excellent timing! I've just returned from a couple of days in Blackpool (seaside town in Uk) and for the 1st time in years was able to play some arcade machines. Managed to have a shot of Time Crisis, which had a clicky gun. A terminator shooter where you hold a machine gun and a silent hill game where you shoot at the screen. Had such an awesome time! Although £1 per play seems a bit harsh.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Excellent timing! I've just returned from a couple of days in Blackpool (seaside town in Uk) and for the 1st time in years was able to play some arcade machines. Managed to have a shot of Time Crisis, which had a clicky gun. A terminator shooter where you hold a machine gun and a silent hill game where you shoot at the screen. Had such an awesome time! Although £1 per play seems a bit harsh.

That's my home town and the reason I originally posted the thread!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I would like to install a VF3tb pcb in my SF2WW cab. what will I need besides the PCB itself?

T-0800

I can't believe I hadn't posted these in this thread already! Arcade "ambience" MP3s. Hour (or so) length MP3s with game sounds from various eras, created to emulate the ambience of an arcade in that time. There are sounds for '81, '83, '86 and '92. I often play them in the background when I've fired up Pinball Arcade on my iPad, probably great when playing other emulated games as well :)

That's really cool. Have it playing on youtube right now. Going to drive the wife nuts when she hears it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My early childhood memory was also at the seaside. Putting 2x 5p coins into the battle zone machine and standing on a box to see through the 'goggles'. I loved that game - it was punishingly difficult but it felt like being transported to another world. Been a vector graphics fan ever since.

Daytona USA was my big money pit as a teenager. A friend and I basically played the local sit down arcade version constantly, trying to outdo each others lap times. So good.

I also have fond memories of a weird little top-down vector game that was in our local chip shop. You had a bunch of triangles in the middle of the screen which you had to protect. Enemies would come in waves to try and steal them - they had to drive up and connect to them like a trailer, then drag them off screen. It was game over when all of the triangles were gone. You controlled a tank and used I think four buttons to move (forward/back for each track) so it drove a bit like top-down battle zone. If you shot an enemy that was pulling your canister off screen, the canister would stay there, so it would be easier for the enemy to grab it next time.

Can't remember the name but I loved that game too - would ramp up the tension as the triangles got dragged closer to the edge

KC-Slater

I would like to install a VF3tb pcb in my SF2WW cab. what will I need besides the PCB itself?

You'll for sure need either a Sun PSU, or a modded ATX PC PSU. The latter is way cheaper and easier to come by. You can grab an adapter here, if you don't want to mess around with re-wiring it yourself.

Not sure if you'll need Sega I/O, or if the controls are just standard JAMMA.

The guy who runs the site I linked seems very approachable and helped me out with some questions I had about getting my Naomi-setup together.

rothgar

You'll for sure need either a Sun PSU, or a modded ATX PC PSU. The latter is way cheaper and easier to come by. You can grab an adapter here, if you don't want to mess around with re-wiring it yourself.

Not sure if you'll need Sega I/O, or if the controls are just standard JAMMA.

The guy who runs the site I linked seems very approachable and helped me out with some questions I had about getting my Naomi-setup together.

The controls are not standard JAMMA, but there is a kit to make it JAMMA. Also, VF3 runs in medium resolution (horizontal freq.=25KHz), not standard resolution (horizontal freq.=15KHz) like SF2, so I don't think the monitors are compatible unless you have a multi-resolution monitor.

wondermega

My early childhood memory was also at the seaside. Putting 2x 5p coins into the battle zone machine and standing on a box to see through the 'goggles'. I loved that game - it was punishingly difficult but it felt like being transported to another world. Been a vector graphics fan ever since.

Daytona USA was my big money pit as a teenager. A friend and I basically played the local sit down arcade version constantly, trying to outdo each others lap times. So good.

I also have fond memories of a weird little top-down vector game that was in our local chip shop. You had a bunch of triangles in the middle of the screen which you had to protect. Enemies would come in waves to try and steal them - they had to drive up and connect to them like a trailer, then drag them off screen. It was game over when all of the triangles were gone. You controlled a tank and used I think four buttons to move (forward/back for each track) so it drove a bit like top-down battle zone. If you shot an enemy that was pulling your canister off screen, the canister would stay there, so it would be easier for the enemy to grab it next time.

Can't remember the name but I loved that game too - would ramp up the tension as the triangles got dragged closer to the edge

rip off?

Dambrosi

Banned
So, I won a supergun in a Twitch raffle last year. One of these bad boys:

PanaCustomSG.jpg

I decided to buy a Pandora's Box 4 for it from AliExpress, which was delivered yesterday. Only took a week to get here from China, so why are eBayers from Hong Kong so slow to ship? Anyway, my JAMMA harness only has three buttons, which means I can't play any of the Neo-Geo or CPS1/CPS2 games emulated on the PB4. Now. rewiring the harness is relatively simple, just six wires and a soldering iron and it's practically done, so that's not my problem. My "problem" is that I don't have any real PCBs to use with it. Give it its due, the PB4 does a good job, but I do know it has problems with some of its sound emulation and slowdown in some games, and I'd much rather try to get the true arcade experience from a real PCB, even if I don't have a cabinet (and before you say "just build one then", I don't have room for one in my flat).

So my question is this: what would be your recommendation for my first JAMMA PCB? Preferably not something already on the PB4, but I'll allow those too. Also, relatively cheap would be good, and also shipping to the UK is necessary. Thanks.

RhyDin

I remember finding a website via Google that maintains a user-submitted database of public cabinets, but unfortunately, it's not very pretty and isn't updated anymore. A lot of the information is out of date.

There's still a lot of cabinets and pinball machines in random places - mainly bars, movie theater lobbies, truck stops, mall lobbies, etc. The few arcades left where I'm from have the same common games (House Of The Dead, Tekken) and are often maintained poorly, but there are some rare gems tucked away in obscure locations. For example, there's a minigolf place near me that has the Gottlieb Super Mario Bros. Pinball, which there aren't many of in existence.

While writing this, I actually found https://pinside.com , which has locations for pinball machines, but does such a community exist for cabinets?

KC-Slater

So my question is this: what would be your recommendation for my first JAMMA PCB? Preferably not something already on the PB4, but I'll allow those too. Also, relatively cheap would be good, and also shipping to the UK is necessary. Thanks.

I'd recommend going with a single-slot Neo Geo MVS, and start picking up carts. You can still get tons of them cheap, and it will feel as though you're working towards something.

Alternatively, you could go with a CPS2 'A' board and start picking up games for it. ('B' boards.)

I know titles for both of my suggestions have been ported to death, but they offer some of the best arcade experiences that can be had outside of a dedicated cab.

Or just grab the PCB of your favourite arcade game. No need to justify that purchase.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I remember finding a website via Google that maintains a user-submitted database of public cabinets, but unfortunately, it's not very pretty and isn't updated anymore. A lot of the information is out of date.

There's still a lot of cabinets and pinball machines in random places - mainly bars, movie theater lobbies, truck stops, mall lobbies, etc. The few arcades left where I'm from have the same common games (House Of The Dead, Tekken) and are often maintained poorly, but there are some rare gems tucked away in obscure locations. For example, there's a minigolf place near me that has the Gottlieb Super Mario Bros. Pinball, which there aren't many of in existence.

While writing this, I actually found https://pinside.com , which has locations for pinball machines, but does such a community exist for cabinets?

I think Shaneus is your pinball man, maybe pm him?

I remember finding a couple sites like you described. I'm at work so no bookmarks and limited search but I found this:
https://zenius-i-vanisher.com/v5.2/arcades.php - lists music games only
http://www.arcadelocations.net/
http://www.aurcade.com/locations/

StevieWhite

Howdy y'all! I did a quick little retrospective on Time Killers. It's part of an ongoing series I'm doing on arcade games I played (and enjoyed) as a kid. I knew its gameplay wouldn't hold up, and I was afraid I was going to have to savage it... but there's a lot of things this game did right! I don't know if I'd ever recommend that anybody pay money for it... but it was fun to dive back into it after all these years. Hyperviolence at its most ludicrous.

https://youtu.be/yFsVpd-YHKQ

And the win quotes are just awesome.

Interestingly, the developers (Incredible Technologies) went on to make Golden Tee. Funny world.

Hope you enjoy!

Bydobob

Howdy y'all! I did a quick little retrospective on Time Killers. It's part of an ongoing series I'm doing on arcade games I played (and enjoyed) as a kid. I knew its gameplay wouldn't hold up, and I was afraid I was going to have to savage it... but there's a lot of things this game did right! I don't know if I'd ever recommend that anybody pay money for it... but it was fun to dive back into it after all these years. Hyperviolence at its most ludicrous.

https://youtu.be/yFsVpd-YHKQ

And the win quotes are just awesome.

Interestingly, the developers (Incredible Technologies) went on to make Golden Tee. Funny world.

Hope you enjoy!

Enjoyed that video, thanks. This game never made the arcades I frequented, but not sure why. Although it's cheesy as hell, the gore factor alone would have pulled in a lot of players. Had no idea these are the same folks that made Golden Tee. Talk about a genre change!

StevieWhite

Enjoyed that video, thanks. This game never made the arcades I frequented, but not sure why. Although it's cheesy as hell, the gore factor alone would have pulled in a lot of players. Had no idea these are the same folks that made Golden Tee. Talk about a genre change!

The violence may be the only reliably good thing about it! It was a nice alternative to MK, which required you to commit fatalities to memory before heading to the arcade.

Thanks for watching!

Top Bottom