• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcane |OT| Use Spoilers

Holammer

That's never going to happen.
I'll even be so bold to suggest it'll come on Steam before Wild Rift hits consoles. Yeah, that's crazy talk.
Where is that anyway? About time they drop it already with Arcane doing well on Netflix.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Curious about the how.
Feels like, while the faces are (sorta) traditionally animated, the bodies are painted over real actors. The movements are too natural.

Style and animations are great, but it kinda feels... a bit off to me. Not sure if I love it or not. I'm not sure why.
It's just 3D models with painted textures on them.
There's obviously also a bunch of shaders doing math for the lighting, but the base is just 3d models with painted textures.

The expressions are done by some one else, separate from mocap animation, this "expression supervisor" basically creates the "keyframe references" for facial expressions; this is probably done in some kind of concept art, unless the supervisor is also the lead animator, then they'd create them on the actual rigs used for animating.
The animators then just follow the references.
And don't be fooled by "movements are too natural", there's plenty of insanely good animators out there that can do all that shit by hand. Like in Pacific Rim the mechs were a mix between hand animation and mocap, but the Kaiju were 100% hand animated; no andy serkis style mocap needed.
Even with mocap, animators will go over the data, because not all of the data is useful, and they'll add tweaks.

The rest gets blended with 2D elements, like the smoke and fire effects, fore and background items can be 2D as well, and some of it will be animated "motion graphics style", but the absolute main look of this show comes from the 3d models, hand painted textures and the hand animated expressions.

Maybe its the dearth of original decent stuff these days but this was like a bolt of light. Holy shit, impressed. Wonderful work on this. Still a couple episodes to watch.
Don't love every choice but this is a great piece of work they've done here.

Atrus

Gold Member
Such an amazing series. It’s like watching the best Blizzard cinematic turned into a feature length story.

A mature story with a range of simple to complex characters featured with brilliant art style and world building. You can virtually freeze frame any shot and it just looks beautiful.

Can’t wait to see more of this. Definitely one of the best shows on Netflix and I hope folks don’t miss out.

Hinedorf

Banned
Kinda lit? Great fucking intro song, great character building! If you have any interest in LoL you'll love it. Now that all the episodes are out it doesn't matter but they had initially released it in 3 episode blocks which were FANTASTIC broken up segments.

Not just giving props to Arcane but also Ruined King, fantastic LoL RPG that expands on the lore just like Arcane does. Some really great shit coming out of the LoL universe right now.

Marvel

could never
The show is fucking amazing. From all aspects, animation, VO, music, story, intrigue... it's so good. You don't need to be a LoL fan at all. I cannot wait for the next acts.
Aight I'll try it, never played the game but trailer does look interesting!

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Best card game and now this great show. Got to admit, Riot has been bringing quality.

hlm666

No one seen the opening to the LoL world championships? Their fans sure as shit wouldn't have been happy with some phoned in animated series. That said I figured you would probably need to be into LoL to enjoy the series but it sounds not the case might have to check it out based on this thread.

Kenpachii

Watching some of there trailers and honestly, with 100m views for there cinematic trailers each year, they are practically the new blizzard. But not shocked as they got 150m registered accounts. they are bigger then probably even steam at this point.

982aad4c9e5931420cb3eaedc7f13e3c.png

Last edited:
finished it. bloody brilliant and i want more right now. like i said before i had played LoL a bit before but holy shit i just can't get enough of this world now. i've been playing LoL a lot more on PC. got it downloaded on my iPad + iPhone for when i'm not at home. Also downloaded the card game and the auto chess. I have no idea what I'm doing but it's fun. Will be buying The Ruined King soon as well. and that Project L they showed off...i'm up for that too! They're working on an MMO so i'll be checking that out too. like Kenpachii Kenpachii said it feels like they are the new Blizzard. I know MMO's aren't as big as they used to be but if Riot get the MMO right it could be World of Warcraft all over again but maybe it'll be called World of Runeterra instead! There is so much potential for this world and I look forward to seeing how Riot get on.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Finished it. The quality is considerably high for a Netflix show and I enjoyed myself for the most part but I thought it dragged on towards the second half. It would have been more enjoyable if it was 2 episodes shorter. Regardless, the animation and art design was amazing and some of the fight scenes were simply gorgeous. I give it a 8.75/10. Amongst the best Netflix has to offer.

NahaNago

So many things to watch and so little time. I'm glad it's good I was originally going to watch it but lost interest before it came out.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Felt it was sub par a lot of anime I've watched, not necessarily detracting from arcane, but I wasn't as wowed as a lot of others have claimed to be. Only watched one or two episodes so I'll guess we'll see..

There's so much to praise about this animation, so fucking much!
I'm sure there's an infinity of people that can and will explain everything much better than I could ever do, but I just want to comment about something that I liked personally.

The lack of music during the fights.

Specifically the lack of "cool, let's roll" music during the fights.
Contrary to watch you see often, the fights in this show weren't treated like some spectacle for the viewers enjoyment only, all fights where treated like serious moments. Yes, you could get pumped by the quality of the animation and the realistic choreography, but that's it, they didn't artificially pushed the mood.

brian0057

Banned
The lack of music during the fights.
If there's one aspect of the show that's definitely subpar is the music. Some of it is fine, and some is horrible.
Netflix be sitting here crafting one of the best animated shows in recent memory and pairs it with the worst opening song you've ever heard in your life.
If there's ever been a series for which the "Skip Intro" button is a godsend, it's this one.

Last edited:

elliot5

If there's one aspect of the show that's definitely subpar is the music. Some of it is fine, and some is horrible.
Netflix be sitting here crafting one of the best animated shows in recent memory and pairs it with the worst opening song you've ever heard in your life.
If there's ever been a series for which the "Skip Intro" button is a godsend, it's this one.
just fyi Netflix likely didn't do shit but secure exclusivity rights to distribute the show on their platform.

This was all Riot / Fortiche productions.

brian0057

Banned
just fyi Netflix likely didn't do shit but secure exclusivity rights to distribute the show on their platform.

This was all Riot / Fortiche productions.
I know.
But it's a shame that a production of such quality is attached to such dogshit company like Riot.
Let's not forget that, like Blizzard, they're in the middle of a lawsuit, by the same agency, and for basically the same reasons.

Arcane is amazing, and Fortiche deserves all the praise it can get.
I just wish Riot had fuck all to do with it.

Last edited:

Fbh

Watched the first episode and it was pretty good.

The story and most characters seem interesting so far, only the badass girl with pink hair and the side shaved haircut is a bit eye rolling in how egeneric that archetype of character has become.

The production values are fantastic, this has to be one of if not the best looking 3D animated show I've seen. Can't even compare it to the PS2 era low framerate stuff Netflix usually releases.

I disagree completely, the music was good.
Maybe you didn't liked exactly because of the reason I praised, you wanted it to sound like all other follow "rule of cool".

Fuz

Banned
Episode 7.
Disclaimer: I'm liking it.
BUT
With such an innovative show, could we PLEASE move away from those old, tired, stupid, insulting clichés?
- The kid got shot from 10 centimeters - you don't believe for a split second he got hurt.
- Bombs exploding everywhere, one RIGHT ON THE FACE of Caitlyn, not a scratch. Everybody else - dead.
- Vi leaving with Caitlyn instead of Ekho... why?

Just to name the freshest ones on my memory.
This is stupid as fuck. They're doing a lot of good things, and ruining them with that sort of crap.

Last edited:
Episode 7.
Disclaimer: I'm liking it.
BUT
With such an innovative show, could we PLEASE move away from those old, tired, stupid, insulting clichés?
- The kid got shot from 10 centimeters - you don't believe for a split second he got hurt.
- Bombs exploding everywhere, one RIGHT ON THE FACE of Caitlyn, not a scratch. Everybody else - dead.
- Vi leaving with Caitlyn instead of Ekho... why?

Just to name the freshest ones on my memory.
This is stupid as fuck. They're doing a lot of good things, and ruining them with that sort of crap.

I don't get it, you're complaining about things that aren't like you're describing. Maybe you misunderstood what was happening in a few places.

- "Bombs exploding everywhere, one RIGHT ON THE FACE of Caitlyn, not a scratch. Everybody else - dead."

- It didn't. We can justify that Jinx concentrated on the Enforcers and maybe not to kill Cait immediately to hurt her more latter, but it didn't "explored on her face", it exploded on Marcus's face, sure, but no on hers. And contrary to what you said he got hurt.

- "Vi leaving with Caitlyn instead of Ekho... why?"

- Cait could go alone, she was the essential person to go talk with the Counsel, Vi an Ekko presence was optional. That's why Vi didn't crossed the bridge at first to stay to search for Jinx. She only ended going because Cait was hurt from the explosions and need help to continue and Ekko stayed because he knew Vi didn't want to have to fight Jinx but in that situation there was no condition to talk.

What "kid"?

Last edited:

zedim

Neo Member
incredible show, i really encourage everyone on the fence about it to watch it, i never played LOL

Fuz

Banned
Those were only the lastest examples, I should keep a list while watching...
I have even more now that I finished the season. (For example - why the son of a member of Zaum's "council" worked in a Shimmer factory?)
- It didn't. We can justify that Jinx concentrated on the Enforcers and maybe not to kill Cait immediately to hurt her more latter, but it didn't "explored on her face", it exploded on Marcus's face, sure, but no on hers. And contrary to what you said he got hurt.
That exploding firefly was on Marcus' gun, which was pointed right at her face when it exploded.

- Cait could go alone, she was the essential person to go talk with the Counsel, Vi an Ekko presence was optional. That's why Vi didn't crossed the bridge at first to stay to search for Jinx. She only ended going because Cait was hurt from the explosions and need help to continue and Ekko stayed because he knew Vi didn't want to have to fight Jinx but in that situation there was no condition to talk.
Ekho wanted to go to the council himself, Vi wanted to talk with Jinx. Made zero sense out of "let's move the plot forward this way".

What "kid"?
Ekho, who conveniently had impenetrable plot armor.

RAIDEN1

Saw the first episode yesterday, I wouldn't say I was blown away on a Mandalorian level, but yeah watchable so far, only recently started episode 2...whether or not it is up there with Cowboy Bebop (the 1998 version..) remains to be seen..

Do i need to know lol to enjoy this thing?
nah. going in the only character i knew was Jinx. i had played the game before but only a little and i mean like maybe 30 bot matches lol. the show is for everyone. doesn't matter if you've played it or not. i got hooked on the show and i've started playing LoL nearly every day

Last edited:

GymWolf

Holy shit the artstyle is like a mix between telletale games and dishonored, i love it.

Why don't we have more stuff with the same artstyle? this is 100x times better than cheap cg.

The protagonist is a bit on the stronk woman side that gaf loves so much tho, i mean the fat guy was smashing mofos with ease and when the little guy asked if pink chick kicked some asses he respond with "i would not be here if it wasn't for her" or some shit like that, i mean cmon dude grow a spine ffs, you looked like the undertaker during that fight :lollipop_squinting:

Reactions: Fuz

Amiga

is the story independent or is a setup for the game?
the Overwatch animations were good but they were just a character showcase.

elliot5

the game itself is completely not canon. there is no set up or anything.

this story is part of the "real" lore using these characters from the game, but detached from the MOBA itself.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Holy shit the artstyle is like a mix between telletale games and dishonored, i love it.

Why don't we have more stuff with the same artstyle? this is 100x times better than cheap cg.

The protagonist is a bit on the stronk woman side that gaf loves so much tho, i mean the fat guy was smashing mofos with ease and when the little guy asked if pink chick kicked some asses he respond with "i would not be here if it wasn't for her" or some shit like that, i mean cmon dude grow a spine ffs, you looked like the undertaker during that fight :lollipop_squinting:
Yeah, there's clearly tons of pandering but the writing is mostly solid. And it's overall very, very good.

killatopak

Think of it as a prequel to the current lore.

The champions, in the main game, themselves has been visually reworked and voice lines has been rerecorded to fit in the Arcane events.

GymWolf

because painted textures take a lot of work, and even then you need a good art director to make it cohesive; it also simply doesn't work for everything.
Yeah but still...i forgot the last time i saw something with this artstyle, it is super rare even accounting all of what you say.

This thing crap on 99% of famous brands that had a cartoon iteration on netflix, even the animations are super good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom