• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archer - S5 |OT| of Phrasing, Gurpgork, Boop! & the Danger Zone - Mondays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Rolling Stone: How an 'Archer' Scene Gets Made
Over the last four years, FX's Archer has become one of the most popular cartoons made for adults — each episode blends thrilling espionage plots with witty one-liners, make it one of the more smarter, under-the-radar shows around. This week, the show returns for its fifth season and one of the key characteristics of the show is the aesthetic. [It's] set in a vague, endless Cold-War era," says Neal Holman, a principle designer and art director for Archer. "The vague timeline allows us to cherry pick the stuff we like and ignore the elements that we don't. We can have muscle cars from the Seventies, computers from the Eighties and cellphones from the Nineties. An average episode takes about eleven weeks from the moment we get a script to the moment we turn it in. We generally have four episodes in production at a time in staggered phases, so we end up doing 13 episodes in 10 months." In this exclusive gallery, Holman breaks down the insides of a scene from a Fifth Season episode, where
Archer, Cyril and Ray have just been arrested in South America. The scene starts as they are en route to prison.

Few things could've made that any better. Wow. Archer Vice is going to be amazing! Like it was a Mr. Ford cameo away from perfection.

Explains why all the promos were either recaps of the previous seasons or the training videos. Makes a lot more sense in hindsight.

squicken

How many people are going to get a First Blood Part 2 joke? God I love this show. I'm glad there are smaller niche channels it can be made on

Archer-S5-poster.jpg

Lana looks amazing.

Tamanon

Banned
Oh shit, that montage might be real after all. They just showed a preview during -blech- Chozen.

The body cast made of coke is real!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
they might actually do it :lolol

Promo during this new show, Titled Archer VIce, going with the body cast made out of cocaine :lol

Grisby

They just showed a preview clip for next week and the show was titled Archer Vice. Freaking awesome.

Gotta say I'm glad it was Brett that bit the dust. Don't know if I could handle any of the main cast getting offed. Love every single one of them.

Pretty decent chance, they already changed the style of the bumps from the office decor to the Vice style.

Yup. I just saw it. I hope the new opening has some 80s realness to it. I never knew how much I wanted GTA and Adam Reed to make a baby before.

squicken

Drug running Smokey and the Bandit chased by meth dealing bikers w/ Cheryl the country singer could be it's own show! So pumped! I never get excited about TV shows anymore

bndadm

Wow, that was epic. Can't wait to see how the change in direction affects the show.

Also awesome cameo (dream or real, who knows?) of the Cuban hit squad guys from season 1. Loved them.

Amazing.

Mix up the formula for the show, show the trailer for Season 5 as one giant montage at the end of the first episode. Genius.

LordCanti

Yeah, I too was having a hard time thinking of a show that is completely going off the rails at it's popularity height.

I was just thinking, what happens if the show went for another 4 seasons and some people new to it didn't even know it started as a spy spoof? Crazy.

I want a season where they flee to North Korea, become their intelligence service, then flee to Russia (through China) to become the new KGB.

So I had no clue at all about this whole Vice thing that they're changing the series too. But I think I really, really like it. That montage was absolutely brilliant. So hype inducing!

Kisaya

Huh. I'm not sure how I feel about this tbh :S

I trust them though, and it's nice to have Archer back <3 Looking forward to the rest of the season!

kirblar

As the AV club review points out- S4 really did have a few "paint by numbers" spy episodes where you could tell their heart wasn't in it. This is like Phase II on crack. Literally.

Sai-kun

Banned
All aboard, motherfuckers!

That was amazing. The "I'd rather lose the baby" line had me howling.

Very, very ready, and very, very hyped for the rest of the season.

That montage was INCREDIBLE and I'm insanely excited for Archer Vice. The magic of animation allowing this show to be totally turned on it's head 5 seasons in.

That was a hell of a way to start a season. Who recaps the previous 4 seasons of television like that and subsequently gives you a fever dream representation of what is likely to transpire over the rest of the 12 episodes?

Lucky Yates finally got into the opening and we got some brand new animation from the team down in Georgia. This is like the gold standard of American TV animation if you ask me.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Even though I knew about the change beforehand, that was still fucking awesome. That montage got me super hyped for this season. Wow. Changing this up was just genius level shit.

Pretty new to Archer, just caught it on TV a couple weeks ago and loved it right away. Really surprised they don't air reruns on FX more so I could catch up.

So we know that montage really is a preview for what's to come? Have they done that in previous seasons?

Anyway, awesome season premiere.

inm8num2

Awesome episode, as expected.

Archer is consistently one of the most purely entertaining shows on tv. Fast-paced dialogue, action, humor...I love it.

Holy shit Archer Vice is going to be awesome. The crazy thing is the show's formula was still amazing, but I'm glad they decided to be crazy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom