• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are people who play and discard games considered gamers?

They are gamers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I play and discard certain games, but not all. For example. I beat TLOU2...I doubt I'll ever go back to it. It just depends on the game. Some games are designed to have replayability, some aren't. TLOU2 tries with New Game+ but I really don't see the point. A game like Dark Souls on the other hand also has New Game+ but there's added value in replaying. You can't get everything on the first run. The difficulty is ramped up and there are new enemies and secrets that you may have missed. II guess TLOU2 may have collectibles, but they have absolutely zero affect on the gameplay to my knowledge and it's just not interesting enough for me to want to wallow through the exploratory parts of the game again.

I don't see why not. You can still enjoy a movie without having to re-watch it. You might binge-watch a TV show then never return to it.

I think movies are different... It's all about love.

I don't put those guys in the same line as me, as a games lover, collector, who really like. I dunno...

Passion vs love.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
If you watch a movie in theatres but decline to buy the blu ray, are you even a movie watcher?!

Don't get me wrong, I love replaying games and I regularly do, but some people do not choose to enjoy the hobby in the same way.

Some people are still developing their "taste", while others are looking for games that match the taste they already have. They're going to stumble across duds and gems and a lot of stuff in between that was worth playing once but not worth playing again.

That said, a lot of games don't deserve to be replayed, or played at all. 🤷‍♀️

mekes

The only games I have revisited this gen are Bloodborne, Driveclub, Street Fighter 5 and Resogun. I have bought and played hundreds of games this gen. I regard myself as a gamer.

Sleepwalker

I never plat/get full achievements on a game. Single player games I'll beat sometimes on max difficulty sometimes on easy, depending on how much I can be arsed. Once I beat em I discard them and most likely never play them again (unless new content drops). The only games that have tons of replayability for me are online multiplayer games.

It's a little bit like movies, I usually don't like re watching movies no matter how much I enjoyed them in the first place.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
For me I only replay games if they're special. And even then, I usually need a reason to replay something. RetroAchievements.org has been a godsend for me because it gives me an arbitrary reason to want to replay older games. Other times, releases like Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition are a good excuse for me to replay a game I haven't beat since 2011.

I usually play around 100 games in a year, and typically beat about 50-60 of them. I'd consider myself a gamer.

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
Some games don't hit the same after you know the plot twists. I can't see myself replaying, say, Zero Time Dilemma or RIME. What for? They had an objective, tell a story, and they fulfilled it beautifully.

Also, once you get older, the gametime you get is very limited. I have like 2-3 hours every two days, apart from work breaks and toilet time (bless the Switch). If I devoted that time to, for example, World of Warcraft, I would have missed like every gem this year. I'd rather just play and discard so I can experience as many works as possible.

In fact, that was me back in 2007/2008, I spent all my free time raiding and being the RL's bitch. I missed on so many games because of that second job. Never again.

GametimeUK

Think of the flipside of the argument. If you're playing games and discarding them without ever replaying you'll probably be playing through more games than someone who revisits titles. I've currently banned myself from playing through games I've already played so I can enjoy a bunch of new experienced.

Either way a gamer is a person who plays games. It's not that deep.

A.Romero

I've been playing games since I was like 6 yo (30 years ago). I rarely go back to play games that I already beat or I didn't like.

If I'm not a gamer I'd like to know how I would be classified by the people that chose "No".

Think of the flipside of the argument. If you're playing games and discarding them without ever replaying you'll probably be playing through more games than someone who revisits titles. I've currently banned myself from playing through games I've already played so I can enjoy a bunch of new experienced.

Either way a gamer is a person who plays games. It's not that deep.
U know my comparison is about people who really love games.
Im kinda shocked, Gaf is a place where i can see loves of passionate gamers, not posers.

DESTROYA

Videogame is not movie. Stop this non sense comparision, they are different beasts.
It’s not nonsense. Both are media made for entertainment purposes .
OK look how about books, I like reading but I’m reading the same book over and over.
Most read it once and never again unless they really love that book

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
5 votes for “no” lol.

Sorry, but I’d rather post on GAF or do anything else than putting myself through a game I am no longer enjoying.

It’s not nonsense. Both are media made for entertainment purposes .
OK look how about books, I like reading but I’m reading the same book over and over.
Most read it once and never again unless they really love that book

U like to keep that book or movie ?

Hal.

"Are people who play and discard games considered gamers?"

No, only people who shitpost on neogaf dot com are.

Top Bottom