• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Scion's good, reliable cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sailor

Thinking of buying a 2005 Scion tC, but I haven't really heard much about this name brand. I know it's made by Toyota, but does that REALLY mean anything? Are they as reliable as say, Toyota Corolla's?

Scion's look really nice, but I also want a car with good MPG and one that can last for 100K miles +.

So far I have my choices down (for my first car) for a:

2005 Scion tC

2005-36_scion_tc.jpg

2003 Toyota Corolla

2006%20toyota%20corolla%20le%2039k%20(2).JPG

or a 2003 Honda Civic

9081506_1.jpg

What do you think GAF, can the Scion stand up to the other cars I have in mind?

Zapages

Scion's are rebranded Toyota cars...

I would go with Civic as it has better retention value of its core value.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I drive a xB and have had no problems with it.

Remember they are made by Toyota, so I am thinking they are just as reliable. Out of those 3, the tC looks the best, if that helps any.

NeoForte

I own a Scion xD and has been a really great car for me (my first one too). No problems yet, other than a punctured tire like half a year ago that was easy to fix.

Zapages said:
I would go with Civic as it has better retention value of its core value.

That makes 0 sense.

OP, I'd suggest checking out car forums that specialize in the cars you are looking at, not the off-topic section of a gaming website

Sailor

oh noes! video games! said:
That makes 0 sense.

OP, I'd suggest checking out car forums that specialize in the cars you are looking at, not the off-topic section of a gaming website

Hmm, do you have any specific forums in mind? I wouldn't want to go to a biased car forum :O

Zapages

That makes 0 sense.

Honda will lose less value over time as compared to any Toyota or Scion... So it'll make a better buy if he or she wants to trade the car in the future or do anything else. :)

Cianalas

As has already been said they are Toyotas, and as such they are reliable. The Honda will probably have better depreciation though.

Fatalah

Cianalas said:
As has already been said they are Toyotas, and as such they are reliable. The Honda will probably have better depreciation though.

...and a good depreciation means that more people would be more willing to buy a used Civic from you than a used Scion.

Boogie

That makes 0 sense.

yeah, because GAF doesn't have a knowledgeable userbase on a wide array of subjects, junior. *insert rolleyes here*

snacknuts

we all knew her
I have a 2005 tC that I bought in April of '05. I haven't had a single mechanical/electrical problem with it yet and have enjoyed owning the car very much. Reliability shouldn't be a concern as it has the same engine as the 4-cylinder Camry.

My only complaint with it is that when it gets really cold out, the hatch rattles a little bit. I would absolutely recommend one.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Holy shit! Scion is #1 in reliability?

Scion represent!

Look at that bottom quarter, US Represent!

dskillzhtown said:
Holy shit! Scion is #1 in reliability?

Scion represent!

hell yeah!

i own a scion tc myself and i love it.

no problems, good mileage, and is alot of fun to drive.

Its also a 2005 so i can vouch for the one youre looking at :)

yodandy

My gf has owned one for two years, has had zero problems with it, its fun to drive, and good on gas...go for it!

3rdman

I really need a new car...My 94 Civic is really starting to show its age and I've loved the look of the tC for quite some time. I was also looking at the 2.0 turbo Genesis but it is just out of reach for me so I've narrowed my choices between the tC and Mazda Miata.

What do you guys think?
05.scion.tc.500.jpg

VS
2006mx-5.jpg

3rdman said:
I really need a new car...My 94 Civic is really starting to show its age and I've loved the look of the tC for quite some time. I was also looking at the 2.0 turbo Genesis but it is just out of reach for me so I've narrowed my choices between the tC and Mazda Miata.

What do you guys think?
http://www.edmunds.com/media/reviews/top10/drivers.under.25/05.scion.tc.500.jpg[IMG]
VS
[IMG]http://www.theweeklydriver.com/content_images/2/2006mx-5.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

tC

snacknuts

we all knew her
3rdman said:

As someone who has owned both a tC and a Honda del Sol (fairly comparable to the Miata), I'll just say that owning a Miata as your only vehicle is very impractical.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
ill say this for toyotas...they last 10 years with virtually no problems in most cases, a scion is a toyota, if reliability is your main concern then you cant go wrong. Nothing special about the HP, handling or interior but more than gets the job done at the right price what more can you ask for in a workhorse ride?

3rdman

zesty said:
As someone who has owned both a tC and a Honda del Sol (fairly comparable to the Miata), I'll just say that owning a Miata as your only vehicle is very impractical.
I also have a Jeep Wrangler that my wife uses...I drive 2 hours a day and although its nice to have a backseat and all, I rarely use mine now. Fuel economy and comfort is important so (as far as the Miata is concerned) I was looking at the 2006 model with a wider wheelbase and more comfortable interior.

Thanks for the input...I 'll be mulling it over for the next 2 months before I take the leap.

Ceres

Banned
DonasaurusRex said:
ill say this for toyotas...they last 10 years with virtually no problems in most cases, a scion is a toyota, if reliability is your main concern then you cant go wrong. Nothing special about the HP, handling or interior but more than gets the job done at the right price what more can you ask for in a workhorse ride?

Toyota has dropped the ball a little in the last few years. Of course, it's a side effect of them becoming the highest selling brand and suffering a little quality control to get the vehicles out there to the public. I'd think a 2003 would probably just have missed the bubble where you might have to worry about it. Scion's seem pretty good for what they offer. An economical "sporty" car which I'd say is aimed mostly at people in the early 20s. I looked briefly at the xA when I was looking for an inexpensive car with good mileage. I was buying in 2006 though which is the last year of the model so I decided to steer clear.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
OuterWorldVoice said:
What are you measuring? Most of the Miata's flaws exist in your fragile sense of masculinity. It's an amazing car.

MX-5 > Miata

My first car was a 1990 Mazda Miata, my second car was a 2006 Scion xB. They are both really great cars. My Miata needed a new clutch and radiator at about 120,000 miles, but other than that I didn't have any major problems with it. If I didn't have to carry stuff around with me I would rebuy a Miata in a heartbeat. The xB is awesome as well. I read somewhere that it has the same wheelbase as the Miata, so they drive similarly. xBs are deceiving with just how big they are. From the outside they look tiny, but once you are inside you realize just how much space there is. A friend of mine has a tC that he really enjoys. Neither of us has had any mechanical issues with our Scions in the last few years. I'd say that if you want something fun and sporty with no cargo space go with the Miata. Otherwise the Scions are just as great.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I think when I buy my next car i'm just going to get the car the has the highest depreciation value and highest dependability.

PopfulMail

Own a 05' xA and I'm still in love with the car as much as I was on day one. I've had zero problems with the car and plan on sticking w/ a Scion when it's time for something new.

Outside of not having any issues with the car... Scion is a company who really does great things for it's customers and community. I've never really given a crap about my rides until I owned a Scion. There is an insane Scion community out there and it is filled with great people. I've been attending a yearly show since 05' called Scion eXposed here in Ohio.. and with every year the show gets bigger and better. Last year I left with over $500 in FREE extras for my car thanks to giveaways.

All in all.. great car... great company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom