• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are some people underestimating the Portability aspect of the Switch?

Jubenhimer

The main selling point of the Nintendo Switch, is that it's a console you can take with you and play anywhere, either in handheld mode, on by propping it up with its kickstand in tabletop mode. This lends itself well to gamers and people who don't have as much time or patience for the other home consoles, and just want a more convenient package. Something with the simplicity and pick-up and play feel of mobile gaming, with the depth and scale of a console game. Being a console that's designed to be mobile however, there are limits as to how powerful the system can be. Due to the mobile nature of the Switch, many games ported to it from the other consoles have sacrifices made to them in visuals and performance. For many, the ability to play these games on the go is worth any potential trade-offs. For some, they just look like butchered cuts to stuff they would rather get elsewhere.

I feel like when some people say "The Switch has no third party games" or "There's nothing to play", I feel like these are the ones who really don't have much use for the main feature of the console. And there's nothing wrong with that, if you primarily play games at home, and want high end graphics and advanced performance, you have two other options for that purpose. However, I don't think its fair to conflate not caring about the Switch's portability to some software drought. If there's one thing you can't say about the Switch, its that its lacking in support. We're well past the point where that's true, Third party support has picked up over the past 2 years, and 2019 is when things will really start coming into furition. Whether you perfer games like Mortal Kombat 11 or Crash Team Racing Nitro on other platforms isn't necesarily the point. They're still good games on the Switch, and you can take them with you. If you travel a lot, or don't have a lot of time for traditional consoles, that's enough reason alone to get the Switch version.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Coworker of mine has a Switch and loves the portability mode. Pretty much the only way he plays. He's no hardcore gamer by any means...he only cares if it can play the games he's interested in. And MK11 will be his next purchase for it.

BlackTron

For me personally the real draw of the Switch is the versatility that its portable/console nature allows. I can start a match of Wargroove at work, suspend it in a second, and pick up where I left off when I get home on the big screen. Or the smaller TV in my bedroom (separate dock). And then when I'm thinking about the solution in bed, I can try it out right there. All of this shifting around can be done 100% seamlessly on a whim in a few seconds.

No longer must I feel I'm dooming myself to staring at a tiny screen for hours starting a DS RPG, nor feel like I'm gluing myself to a couch or computer chair embarking on a full-fledged modern console game. Switch has the adaptability to let me play the same games in a different way as it suits me with no hassle in the transition.

The practical utility of the Switch is HUGE and that is why it's so successful. I think it's even more important than exclusive games. Even without Nintendo hard-hitters, people would just want this thing for games they already have. And they do lol.

Last edited:

Petrae

If I can’t put it in my pocket, I personally don’t consider it portable— and I can’t put Switch in my pocket.

“Just take the JoyCons off!” So now I need to dedicate two pockets? Nah.

I also view the JoyCons to be shitty controllers, with their tiny size and missing a D-pad. When I use Switch, I absolutely need to be using a Pro Controller.

I don’t carry backpacks or messenger bags everywhere I go. I carry my phone and my 3DS— both of which fit in pants pockets. Carrying extra baggage just gives me more shit to lose or forget.

I keep the Switch docked at all times and use it as a console— which means that compromised third-party ports for it are easy to skip. I’ll buy those games for the more powerful hardware they were originally developed for, and buy platform-exclusive games for Switch instead.

If others carry backpacks and shit around with ‘em, that’s great. Switch might be more portable for them. I’m good sticking with my 3DS and its formidable library for my portable gaming needs.

I don't know about portability, but I do know the JoyCons rate high in the "smuggled in my ass" category. Only the Wii remote comes close. With airline carry on restrictions getting smaller and smaller every year, that extra interior pocket of space comes in handy.

Barakov

Personally, I use it as a home console but I've seen more than my fair share of people playing games in portable mode. Portable Diablo III is a hard thing to pass up.

Zenaku

If I can’t put it in my pocket, I personally don’t consider it portable— and I can’t put Switch in my pocket.

Are you American? I feel Americans appear to have smaller pockets than here in the UK.

I once mentioned here that I could fit 3 3DS's into a single pocket (yes three, 3DS, 3DS XL and New 3DS XL) which a few people called doubt on, and having just tried I can fit my Switch into my pocket comfortably with the joycons attached. It just feels like a slightly large smartphone.

I find it interesting that clothes can have an impact on portability.

Petrae

Are you American? I feel Americans appear to have smaller pockets than here in the UK.

I once mentioned here that I could fit 3 3DS's into a single pocket (yes three, 3DS, 3DS XL and New 3DS XL) which a few people called doubt on, and having just tried I can fit my Switch into my pocket comfortably with the joycons attached. It just feels like a slightly large smartphone.

I find it interesting that clothes can have an impact on portability.

Fair question. And, yes, I’m in the US. I can’t speak to pocket sizes in other countries, but here? I can’t fit Switch in the pockets of either my jeans or my dress pants for work.

And, to reiterate: Even if the unit was a bit smaller, I still find the JoyCons to be awful controllers and wouldn’t use them to play games. I haven’t used mine in 18 months. Pro Controller or nothing— which makes the pocket depth issue moot.

Zenaku

Fair question. And, yes, I’m in the US. I can’t speak to pocket sizes in other countries, but here? I can’t fit Switch in the pockets of either my jeans or my dress pants for work.

And, to reiterate: Even if the unit was a bit smaller, I still find the JoyCons to be awful controllers and wouldn’t use them to play games. I haven’t used mine in 18 months. Pro Controller or nothing— which makes the pocket depth issue moot.
Yeah, seems American pockets tend to be small considering I can fit switch into my skinny jeans, and completely into my work trousers.

I won't defend the build quality of the joycons (my left stick has drift) but feel they're servicable for when I want to play and watch TV at the same time, but I definitely prefer the Pro controller too.

This may sound rude, but I think a lot of people have their heads stuck up their asses when it comes to this Switch stuff.

With nearly 100 million PS4s and ~40 million Xbox Ones sold, along with countless people on PC and software sales being at an all time high on these platforms, many people just don't care about having their games "on the go" - at least not as their primary way to play games.

Many Switch fans are elitist and have this agenda of saying that games are best played on their favorite piece of plastic. No. That's just how you guys feel, and you don't speak for even half of all gamers - not even close.

Edit:

Not to mention that this portability comes at a cost of playing on a smaller screen with worse controls and graphics. That's a big deal to people like me and we shouldn't be ignored or looked down upon for our taste.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

With nearly 100 million PS4s and ~40 million Xbox Ones sold, along with countless people on PC and software sales being at an all time high on these platforms, many people just don't care about having their games "on the go" - at least not as their primary way to play games.

Thing is, PS4 and Xbox One had 6 years to build up that install base, whereas the Switch is just barely 2 years old. Plus, launch aligned, Switch is actually beating the PS4, and software sales on the Switch are among the highest of any console.

Thing is, PS4 and Xbox One had 6 years to build up that install base, whereas the Switch is just barely 2 years old. Plus, launch aligned, Switch is actually beating the PS4, and software sales on the Switch are among the highest of any console.
We've had numerous games achieve big success since the Switch's launch despite lacking a portability option. Just this year alone we've had RE2, Kingdom Hearts 3, DMCV, Sekiro, etc. When those games launched, all of them topped sales charts over anything people are buying on Switch right now.

Ultimately, my point is that the demand for portability in games isn't actually a common one. Many people are perfectly content with home console/ PC gaming.

And I also doubt that Switch sales will stay up as long as they have for much longer. Once Pokemon is out Nintendo has already flexed most of their system sellers for the generation. The PS4 has gotten numerous system selling games, exclusive and third party, for every year to this day - with even more coming ffs lol.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

We've had numerous games achieve big success since the Switch's launch despite lacking a portability option. Just this year alone we've had RE2, Kingdom Hearts 3, DMCV, Sekiro, etc. When those games launched, all of them topped sales charts over anything people are buying on Switch right now.

While I won't deny the success of those games, it's inaccurate to say that they're doing better than anything on the Switch. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate came out not too long ago, and was pretty much the biggest launch for a console game that year. And according to the NPD results for March, Switch still has games selling well in the top 20, and will likely get more in 2019 with Mario Maker 2 and Animal Crossing being the biggest ones.

Ultimately, my point is that the demand for portability in games isn't actually a common one. Many people are perfectly content with home console/ PC gaming.

See, this is where I disagree. At the moment, the Switch is outselling both the PS4 and Xbox One in most places except maybe Europe, where the PS4 still has the lead. Sales are up YoY, and its even outpacing the Wii in terms of progression. I don't know how you can look at all of that, and somehow come to the conclusion that people don't want portability. True, there are people who don't care about that, but the Switch has shown there is a huge market for a device like it.

And I also doubt that Switch sales will stay up as long as they have for much longer. Once Pokemon is out Nintendo has already flexed most of their system sellers for the generation

Then they'll just make more? Nintendo can do other system selling titles as well. Plus, their games continue to sell well even years after they came out, so its not like they loose their system selling power just because they're old.

Nintendo is about to lose that portability edge very soon though as Stadia and Xcloud come into play and now I just need my phone and a controller to do similar things while out and about.

Problem with Stadia is that Internet Bandwith still isn't to where it should be for a lot of games, and since you don't always have access to the internet, platforms like Stadia are only really useful in places with good internet reception. Streaming has its place, but it'll never be a replacement for native, privately owned media.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Ps vita ports of games run worse on the Switch while portable.
The fuck?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For someone who enjoys long JRPG like Xenoblade and Dragon Quest, the portability is god send for me and its not just about taking it outside but also I always play some games on my bed before going to sleep.

Klayzer

This may sound rude, but I think a lot of people have their heads stuck up their asses when it comes to this Switch stuff.

Many Switch fans are elitist and have this agenda of saying that games are best played on their favorite piece of plastic. No. That's just how you guys feel, and you don't speak for even half of all gamers - not even close.

Edit:

Not to mention that this portability comes at a cost of playing on a smaller screen with worse controls and graphics. That's a big deal to people like me and we shouldn't be ignored or looked down upon for our taste.
I have a Switch and it does get somewhat tiresome hearing fans go on the "best on Switch because of the portability factor" or the "I won't buy it unless it releases on Switch" takes. Personally I bought a Switch for the exclusives like I have for the Wii, WiiU, 3Ds, and the Gamecube.

Jubenhimer

Recently? Caligula Effect.

Okay. But just because you can cherry pick an odd exception, doesn't really make it a norm. Plus, not every bad port on Switch is the result of hardware limitations. Sometimes incompetence or rushed development plays a role.

The same problems you claim with Stadia also affect online modes in Nintendo games like Smash or Splatoon, especially with that weak ass wifi receiver in the switch on portable mode.

The difference is that even without online, you still have the local multiplayer and offline single player modes for those games, whereas with Streaming you need an internet connection at all times, and that's not something people always have, especially for those with limited cellular plans.

Like I said, Streaming does have its place as the new "Blockbuster" rentals of gaming. But it's not a replacement for actually owning your game and playing it natively offline if you want.

Last edited:

Romulus

If anything, I think people play up the Switch because of the dock mode. I think its absolutely horrible looking compared to a regular PS4, not even Pro. I understand its smaller, cheaper, etc etc etc, I couldn't get over how blurry it was. So for me, its basically only a portable console because I hated the way the games looked on a TV. Maybe some of the real simple games look okay.

Last edited:

Klayzer

If anything, I think people play up the Switch because of the dock mode. I think its absolutely horrible looking compared to a regular PS4, not even Pro. I understand its smaller, cheaper, etc etc etc, I couldn't get over how blurry it was. So for me, its basically only a portable console because I hated the way the games looked on a TV. Maybe some of the real simple games look okay.
Interesting. I haven't encountered a blurry title yet. To be fair I only own four games on it though.

Jubenhimer

Is there not a chance that if you have the space you could download a game and play it natively like Netflix does for movies.

Of course, if a Game supports it, I don't doubt an offline download feature will be avalible for many games in the future. However, and admittedly this is probably my own nostalgia talking, I still believe there's a market for buying media individually as opposed to a subscription based buffet, which still has a place, but I don't believe it should be the only method for people to consume media. I think a lot of people still want to keep what movies, games and music they enjoy forever, and enjoy it offline if they want.

You also ignore that may cities have so much wifi infrastructure now, that if you never leave the city, you will never lose wifi. It’s literally everywhere and only going to get more predominant.

You seem to want to project one side of the arguement, but don’t take in consideration for the other.

You're probably right, and like I said, it's probably my own optimism and bias talking, but I just feel like Streaming and Subscription based services shouldn't have a monopoly over the media consumption, and that the more traditional pay-per-content model is still one that has its own place. Even with digital downloads, when you buy a game signle, you feel like you own that game now, and for the most part, can play it whenever you want, however you want. I just don't feel, or rather just don't want, that feeling of ownership to be stripped away completely. Ideally, platforms and services should offer both to cover as much ground as possible, so

Kagey K

Banned
Of course, if a Game supports it, I don't doubt an offline download feature will be avalible for many games in the future. However, and admittedly this is probably my own nostalgia talking, I still believe there's a market for buying media individually as opposed to a subscription based buffet, which still has a place, but I don't believe it should be the only method for people to consume media. I think a lot of people still want to keep what movies, games and music they enjoy forever, and enjoy it offline if they want.

You're probably right, and like I said, it's probably my own optimism and bias talking, but I just feel like Streaming and Subscription based services shouldn't have a monopoly over the media consumption, and that the more traditional pay-per-content model is still one that has its own place. Even with digital downloads, when you buy a game signle, you feel like you own that game now, and for the most part, can play it whenever you want, however you want. I just don't feel, or rather just don't want, that feeling of ownership to be stripped away completely. Ideally, platforms and services should offer both to cover as much ground as possible, so
Well that’s where Xcloud is stepping up. You buy a game on Xbox and you own it, From OG to 360 to Xbox One to PC. You can continue playing that game where you want. It cloud syncs automatically and your game and save will follow you anywhere.

It is the ultimate in game ownership, if you decide you want to own that game.

Nobody else is doing that in the industry. Period.

Last edited:
The problem for me is that I don't like portable gaming, haven't since the gameboy/game gear era, and the games I'd be likely to play all look much better on my xbox. My daughter loves it though and enjoys playing minecraft and stardew valley while in the car.

Reactions: TLZ

Jubenhimer

Well that’s where Xcloud is stepping up. You buy a game on Xbox and you own it, From OG to 360 to Xbox One to PC. You can continue playing that game where you want. It cloud syncs automatically and your game and save will follow you anywhere.

It is the ultimate in game ownership, if you decide you want to own that game.

Nobody else is doing that in the industry. Period.

Well that's good, I'm glad somebody in the entertainment business still believes in media ownership. With the releationship that Nintendo and Microsoft have at the moment, I wouldn't be supprised if Microsoft eventually does decide to bring a form of xCloud to the Switch considering Microsoft doesn't have its own mobile gaming platorm, and doesn't seem to mind working with outside companies.

Kagey K

Banned
Well that's good, I'm glad somebody in the entertainment business still believes in media ownership. With the releationship that Nintendo and Microsoft have at the moment, I wouldn't be supprised if Microsoft eventually does decide to bring a form of xCloud to the Switch considering Microsoft doesn't have its own mobile gaming platorm, and doesn't seem to mind working with outside companies.
Well I’m sure they would have to work out deals with Apple and Google to get the app set up and let them stream to those platforms, so, it’s probably easy to get Nintendo in the talks.

In the end though it does take away from the one strength Switch has and goes back to the title of this thread.

Portability.

Which is what I tried to say 2 pages ago.

Last edited:

Zephir

I'm on vacation in a hotel, celebrating Easter with family.

I can still play Dark Souls, FFX, FFIX, Pokemon and DBFZ on my Switch.

Don't care if they are just ports or inferior versions, being able to just bring it where you want without shoving a huge console+wires in your backpack will always be a plus

Kagey K

Banned
I'm on vacation in a hotel, celebrating Easter with family.

I can still play Dark Souls, FFX, FFIX, Pokemon and DBFZ on my Switch.

Don't care if they are just ports or inferior versions, being able to just bring it where you want without shoving a huge console+wires in your backpack will always be a plus
In less then a year with Xbox and Google you will be able to do also, while also having the nice graphics at home.

Last edited:

zenspider

I think the portability is pretty well estimated, though I think some people who "don't do handhelds" don't realize how much more they can get out of their game time - it's not always the optimal experience, but it's optimizing opportunities to play at all. Days you can't play add up, and my 'drop rate' for games I lose touch with is significantly down since I got a Switch.

The underestimated feature to me is the UX speed. Switch is on some Harry Tuttle shit: go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out. When I think of how long it took to get into a game on my PC from a cold start, it's like remembering what dial-up internet was like. I can't go back.

The problem is it's just not a very good portable in it's current form. I'd much rather just take my 3DS with me and work on my stupidly huge backlog of games that aren't ports instead.

I also view the JoyCons to be shitty controllers, with their tiny size and missing a D-pad. When I use Switch, I absolutely need to be using a Pro Controller.

I don’t carry backpacks or messenger bags everywhere I go. I carry my phone and my 3DS— both of which fit in pants pockets. Carrying extra baggage just gives me more shit to lose or forget.

I keep the Switch docked at all times and use it as a console— which means that compromised third-party ports for it are easy to skip. I’ll buy those games for the more powerful hardware they were originally developed for, and buy platform-exclusive games for Switch instead.

If others carry backpacks and shit around with ‘em, that’s great. Switch might be more portable for them. I’m good sticking with my 3DS and its formidable library for my portable gaming needs.

I don't understand the "pocketability = portability" case. I've never carried a gaming system in my pocket.

I don't just end up places and am like "oh shit lemme check my pockets for activities!" I have a plan. I bring a book, I bring a system, I bring heaphones, etc. if I see the opportunity come. Whipping a system out nowhere is like the "rooftop party" scenario.

Kagey K

Banned
True....if I cared for digital only stuff

Sorry, I'm still a retail boy
You’ll get over that. Having all your carts stolen at once was the deal breaker for me.

It’s nice cuz you know where all your games are, until they all vanish at once.

Nobody can steal my digital games, or I can’t lose them in a fire.

Orenji Neko

Sure I use it portable when we are away from home on extended trips or visits. My only issue is only some games are comfortable to me with joy cons. I tend to prefer standing it up and using the pro controller. (Or fighting games I use the M30)

As for just going out, if I wanna kill time, I just look at stuff on my phone. I prefer dedicated, focused blocks of time when I am playing games.

Last edited:

Zephir

You’ll get over that. Having all your carts stolen at once was the deal breaker for me.

It’s nice cuz you know where all your games are, until they all vanish at once.

Nobody can steal my digital games, or I can’t lose them in a fire.

Deeply sorry for that, i lost games too that way...

I just don't like not having full property of my games. Publisher can take away a game when they want digitally and you can't do anything about it, but they can't enter my home and retake my copy.

Kagey K

Banned
Ahh it’s cool, it happened and it was a long time ago.

In the end I don’t hate Switch for what it’s doing,

I own one. My son loves it, but if you think portability is its advantage, it will lose that soon. Yadda yadda see above.

Nintendo, just have to do what they do, Same with Sony and MS. They are all making money and nobody is forgetting nothing,

It just feels like Switch owners want to be at the top and bottom of the opression pole at once.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
While I won't deny the success of those games, it's inaccurate to say that they're doing better than anything on the Switch. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate came out not too long ago, and was pretty much the biggest launch for a console game that year. And according to the NPD results for March, Switch still has games selling well in the top 20, and will likely get more in 2019 with Mario Maker 2 and Animal Crossing being the biggest ones.

See, this is where I disagree. At the moment, the Switch is outselling both the PS4 and Xbox One in most places except maybe Europe, where the PS4 still has the lead. Sales are up YoY, and its even outpacing the Wii in terms of progression. I don't know how you can look at all of that, and somehow come to the conclusion that people don't want portability. True, there are people who don't care about that, but the Switch has shown there is a huge market for a device like it.

Then they'll just make more? Nintendo can do other system selling titles as well. Plus, their games continue to sell well even years after they came out, so its not like they loose their system selling power just because they're old.

Problem with Stadia is that Internet Bandwith still isn't to where it should be for a lot of games, and since you don't always have access to the internet, platforms like Stadia are only really useful in places with good internet reception. Streaming has its place, but it'll never be a replacement for native, privately owned media.

Yesterday a U.S. bug telco, maybe T-Mobile, was talking about how the much overhyped 5G will not work well at all outside of dense city centers...

I think the portability is pretty well estimated, though I think some people who "don't do handhelds" don't realize how much more they can get out of their game time - it's not always the optimal experience, but it's optimizing opportunities to play at all. Days you can't play add up, and my 'drop rate' for games I lose touch with is significantly down since I got a Switch.

The underestimated feature to me is the UX speed. Switch is on some Harry Tuttle shit: go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out. When I think of how long it took to get into a game on my PC from a cold start, it's like remembering what dial-up internet was like. I can't go back.

I don't understand the "pocketability = portability" case. I've never carried a gaming system in my pocket.

I don't just end up places and am like "oh shit lemme check my pockets for activities!" I have a plan. I bring a book, I bring a system, I bring heaphones, etc. if I see the opportunity come. Whipping a system out nowhere is like the "rooftop party" scenario.

It's because carrying around less bulk is convenient. It's why mobile gaming has been a thing.

I can just pull out my 3ds and game almost instantly without thinking about it. Switch I have to pull out of whatever case I'm using.

Orta

Banned
The portability of the Switch is the main reason I got back into gaming after a more than decade long hiatus. I wish Sony would go down the same route

Top Bottom