• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

are there any other DJs that go fucking crazy on the set like Camellia does?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Seizure warning BTW, lots of flashing lights

Does pushups in the middle of the song, T poses while playing Among Us music, in general just does a lot of weird and crazy things. With his music being as insane as it is it makes sense, but holy fuck i don't think i've seen anyone else matching the kind of energy and insanity this guy has.

he even mocks himself being crazy on the set

Screenshot_from_2023-05-15_00-04-40.png

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
All DJs do is plug in their laptop and hit the play button. Gotta flail around a little to justify themselves being there.

It's been over 10 years since Deadmau5, at the time one of the biggest DJ's in the world, told everyone too.

Edit: still is one of the biggest DJ's according to Google too.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
Felling old too :messenger_grinning_sweat:
The only reason he "goes crazy" (he actually does absolutely nothing crazy at all in your vids) is because he needs to distract his fans from the fact all he does is playing crappy music with the press of a button...
You goddam kids with your goddam music
the-old-man-yelling-at-cloud--1560141714_1352x900.jpg

SJRB

Gold Member
I like electronic music but dont really understand the modern EDM scene. I guess Im old lol. I grew up going to raves before any of that shit was cool but back then DJs were actually mixing records live.

EDM is clown circus. Best to stay away from hyper-commercialized garbage events.

I visit plenty of techno raves where actual DJ's mix their tracks on the spot. You know, as they should. There are still a TON of excellent, high-skilled DJ's in the scene.

this guy has the style of a wedding DJ...play a song until it stops, announce how beautiful the bridesmaids look, play another song

is there even a crowd there? Doesn't look like it, but I imagine it looks like a kindergarten

Fools idol

Banned
All DJs do is plug in their laptop and hit the play button. Gotta flail around a little to justify themselves being there.

facts.

My best friend from school is still a DJ now in his spare time and it's money for old rope, He just sits there with his spotify playlist for 5 hours, gets paid.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's been over 10 years since Deadmau5, at the time one of the biggest DJ's in the world, told everyone too.

Edit: still is one of the biggest DJ's according to Google too.
interesting read. I keep hearing about that guy but never actually listen to any of his music, its interesting to note he called this out years ago.

But yeah if that's all DJing is these days well i can assume there's not much fun to it today. Sort of speculated so with all the movement and lack of scratching and knobs. In hindsight that flipping out on the stage makes a whole lot more sense now. Still fucking hilarious though

interesting read. I keep hearing about that guy but never actually listen to any of his music, its interesting to note he called this out years ago.

But yeah if that's all DJing is these days well i can assume there's not much fun to it today. Sort of speculated so with all the movement and lack of scratching and knobs. In hindsight that flipping out on the stage makes a whole lot more sense now. Still fucking hilarious though

That's exactly what it is for big stadium and festival events, which are the only things deadmau5 plays. It's the same as a popstar lip syncing at a concert, happens all the time. It's just less risky and no-one cares because they're just there for a night out.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Wow, I always thought DJs did little else but pretend moving faders up and down, and pumping their hands in the air. But this is a real, actual show! I can see why kids today don't want to see real musicians playing live music when you can see this instead!

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
don't want to see real musicians playing live music when you can see this instead!
i think it's because no real musicians are playing live music anymore.... With streaming these days concerts aren't as big as they used to be. I hardly even hear about them these days, when back in 2002 or so someone my age would be hearing about all sorts of concerts

Besides when a lot of it is faked anyways you might as ell just listen to the music on your phone

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

I admit that I'm not a fan of DJ performances, but I sort of think that if the audience feels like they've had a good time, I'm not sure it matters if someone has just pressed play and waved their arms around.

People might well feel that the illusion of a performance is enough to make for compelling entertainment. The lines get a bit blurry when you look at ABBA who are "touring" CGI versions of themselves performing pre recorded moves to prerecorded songs. Is that any different? Arguably at least a DJ pretending to be crafting an experience for their audience is able to react to fans, make eye contact (well, not Deadmau5), etc. But you might argue that neither has anything to do with performing music.

If you went and saw a pop singer who danced but was lip synching, there'd be a bad reaction if people found out there would be (and has been) - people would likely feel cheated. With ABBA, people know what they're getting and that all works fine. I'd say that DJ's are doing something that's got more in common with a miming pop star - they're pretending to be doing something they're not. Maybe they ought to just make their live shows more an "experience" where the focus isn't on them performing music so much as creating an audio visual experience. Maybe they could actually work out a way to do some musical performance - as in the first post.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Maybe they ought to just make their live shows more an "experience" where the focus isn't on them performing music so much as creating an audio visual experience.
I zeroed in on this specifically because i feel like it makes a lot of sense, here. People can easily listen to their favorite artist's music any day of the week. The main reason people go to live sets is to see the artist themselves, get autographs, hang around with their friends, have a bit of fun. At the end of the day a lot of the appeal of these types of shows never really came that much from the live performances, moreso just the artists being there and getting to see them in person. It is like you said an audiovisual experience. And hey, if the music's easy enough to play and you enjoy dancing to it, why not act like a wacky idiot & dance around in the process to amuse the audience? Create some memes, drum up interest.

Personally for me the whole "play music off a midi controller" thing doesn't bother me so long as it's the artist's own music and not just some other dude's beats. I'm not as fond of a DJ that plays other people's music. I came here to see what you make, not what other people do.

Last edited:

Tams

If you see a DJ struggling around the back of the club getting a crate or two of vinyl out of a taxi, then you know that they're the real deal and it's going to be a hoot.

Trevor Nelson for example is a great DJ.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Fuck, I made the mistake of watching these videos. WTF is that crap music!?!

I feel bad for kids growing up today who think this is junk actual music and who pay real money to see DJs perform "live". I was watching this Lynyrd Skynyrd live video 15 minutes earlier. The contrast between DJs playing manic robot music and real musicians couldn't be greater.

Last edited:
Top Bottom