• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there some people who really do not see/notice higher frame-rates? (60 vs 30 fps)

For a long time people have debated over frame-rate, some say they can see the difference between 60 and 30 fps and others say that they can't. I'm honestly shocked whenever I hear the latter.

I've even seen some people say that they cant tell the difference even when they view side by side comparisons.
I just don't understand how that can be possible... The difference is night and day! It's a huge doubling of frame-rate, not a small increase like 5 fps.

Is it really possible to not be able to tell the difference? The only thing I can think of would be that the device they're using to view them is displaying at 30Hz or something.

There's many console games that have made the push for 60 fps in multiplayer this console generation such as Uncharted 4, Gears of War 4 and Halo 5.
Surely the players must feel that there is something different?

If you're not sure what a "frame-rate" is here's a simple explanation:

The illusion of a moving image is created by a rapid display of still images, these are essentially called frames, and we measure this as a frame-rate.
Higher numbers of frames per second (fps) create a smoother illusion of motion. That's all there is to it really.

Here's an example:

IaRut1C.gif

See how much smoother the bar is with a higher number of frames? That's basically the benefit of a higher frame-rate.

Update 3: If you're having trouble discerning the difference then the differences on the 30 vs 60 fps website should be a lot more noticeable, it seems that people aren't very fond of some of the comparisons in the OP so I've put this one higher as some may have missed it: 30 vs 60 fps

Update 2: I've added a Grand Theft Auto V 30 vs 60 fps comparison below as the RE4 and the scrolling comparison below are kind of extreme examples.

Here's a Gif I found in the "Ratchet & Clank: PS4 Pro Update details" thread of Resident Evil 4 running side by side at a higher frame-rate.
(This RE4 comparison isn't the best demonstration, the Dark Souls ones below are a bit better).

aadUHnA.gif

There's also this (Ignore this, the Dark Souls comparisons are a bit better, and the 30 vs 60 fps website is too):

(The second image is 30 fps without motion blur, it would look smoother with motion blur but not as good as 60 fps).

More Info and Examples:

There's an awesome Extra Credits video on frame-rates here if you want to know more about them: Frame Rate - How Does Frame Rate Affect Gameplay?

There's also this website which showcases the difference of 60 vs 30fps, it runs two videos at the same time, however depending on the device you're using to watch it it may not run at the proper frame-rate: http://30vs60.com/

Update:
Okay I've added three more comparisons which include Dark Souls, hopefully they're better demonstrations!

If anyone has anymore examples please post them!

These two are 25 and 50 fps.

Can you tell the difference? Look at how much smoother the motion is because there are more frames.

Check out the legs and arms of the characters in the Dark Souls comparison.

Another comparison: Grand Theft Auto 5 30 FPS vs 60 FPS

My friend was like that, until we played Gears 4 together. In that game, the campaign is 30fps while the mp was 60. That's when he noticed it right away.

Perhaps peoples eyes just get used to 30fps so it's not a bother. That happens to me often

I can see the difference side by side but it's never something I notice on its own unless it feels like the game is chugging.

Lebon14

I see it immediately when the frame rate is high. Although... sometime nostalgia kicks in and... I'm blind to it (happens with N64 games for me).

Defuser

I think some people can tell the difference but don't care about it since they get used to it and as long as it doesn't impact the gameplay much.

Peltz

I'm certain that everyone can tell the difference when shown a comparison and having the concept of framerate explained to them. Some people, however, do not understand what "frames per second" even means or what to look for. That's why they say they see no difference.

I can't unless it's a side-by-side comparison, and even then it's very hard to tell. It's why I prefer better graphics over polished framerates every time. TLoU on PS3 apparently dipped to single-digit FPS during some of the underwater sections and I couldn't tell at all.

I also prefer 30fps games because the cinematic feel is lost when going to 60fps. TLoU: Remastered plays like a totally different game at 60fps.

SilentRob

Of course people can see the difference in comparisons such as these. I, however, often have trouble seeing if a game runs in 60fps or 30fps. I just don't notice the difference in many cases as long as I don't have a direct comparison.

My wife can't. She also can't tell the difference between Blu ray and DVDs. If it was up to her we would still have a 32" CRT TV.

guyssorry

Most console games do not target 60 fps, which, in my opinion, is a big reason why some people "do not notice a difference." Once you play more 60 fps games, then the difference will become very obvious. It's what happened with me. I was really disliking Dark Souls on ps3 because of its absolutely garbage performance, but when I played it at my friend's house with dsfix, I finally understood the importance of 60 fps and a stable frame rate. Now that I mainly play on pc @ frame rates 60+, the difference between 60 and 30 is so evident. I went and played Bloodborne again this past summer, and it took me a few hours to be able to comfortably play the game again, due to the awful performance.

Even playing Mario Kart 8, when you play with 3 or 4 people, the fps drops to 30, and it is extremely noticeable if you have been playing 60 fps the entire time. Even my sister noticed something felt different

LordKasual

Banned
You have to have an eye for it. It's not only a gamer thing.

When high refresh rate HD televisions started appearing, the fact that some people couldn't really tell was obvious. This was especially obvious with Blu Ray. I remember telling my family members that "it looks so smooth that it's a bit jarring, it almost looks like a videogame", and no matter how much i explained the difference, the concept of "smoother" was always described as "clarity".

But the difference is so clear to me that it blows my mind how people can't see the difference.

Perhaps gamers are able to recgonize it easier because our eyes are familiar to frame drops. It's always obvious to identify when that happens because it changes the whole experience. That doesn't happen with movies, so regular people may not be able to tell.

DarkestHour

Banned
There is a huge difference.

Check this out - http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates

Is it really people can't tell the difference or just don't care?

I believe they just don't care. When I was growing up it didn't matter to me but once I became knowledgeable and played high FPS games I really noticed the difference. I recently purchased a 144Hz monitor and it is crazy how much better multiplayer FPS games are now with the blur reduction and fluidity.

I'm certain that everyone can tell the difference when shown a comparison and having the concept of framerate explained to them. Some people, however, do not understand what "frames per second" even means or what to look for. That's why they say they see no difference.
This. Idk what I'm looking for, I don't care to look for it, it doesn't bother me ..so on

I can tell the difference easily but what can throw me off is good motion blur at a stable 30fps, but that's just on a visual level. Once I pick up the controller I notice the difference regardless due to input responsiveness.

I couldn't see it until I found out what a frame rate per second was via NeoGAF. Which means I spent around 15 years of my gaming life blissfully unaware of the different between 30 and 60fps.

And now I do know... I don't really care.

ViolentP

I genuinely believe some people really cannot process the difference. It's night and day for me however.

LeleSocho

Banned
Let's set things straight: unless there's a brain/eye damage there is no way a person cannot tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps... the question is how much they care or appreciate it, not if they can ora can't see it.

phansen

Neo Member
There's definitely people with higher or lower sensitivities to framerate. Every brain processes what the eyes see differently. I looked at that RE4 gif for a minute until i noticed the fire. Wasn't sure before which one was 30 and which was 60 fps. People complain about framerates in games where i rarely notice anything not being smooth. I think a lot of more casual console gamers don't even know that some games they play run at 30 and some at 60 fps.

LordKasual

Banned
I should note...it's probably because of a lack of a good monitor

but even when my PC can display well past 60fps, I cannot tell the difference.

If you gave me a game to play that I had no prior knowledge about whatsoever and asked me to tell you if it's 30fps or 60fps I wouldn't be able to tell you.

vareon

I think everyone can see them and most will think 60 is better. However they won't really care if a game is 30FPS, not looking for ways to increase FPS (or complaining lol) because the game plays just fine.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just wait until you experience 144Hz. 60 feels awful to me now.

85-90 fps is roughly the point where I feel the motion becomes perfectly smooth. I know when I drop below that point, because I can notice individual frames.

Crayon

Is it really people can't tell the difference or just don't care?

When the difference is 30 and 60, they just don't want to see it or have no idea what they are looking for. It's too big of a difference to not perceive at all. Personally, I find 30fps to be adequate for most games so I'm no snob. I just find the visual difference to be huge.

Top Bottom