• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are we far enough in to compare console tech without waring?

Normally when the new consoles are released we don't have enough knowledge to compare them with any real precision. It Normally takes a couple of years before the NDA stuff tends to leak through developer talks etc.
Are we at this point yet?
I think MS have been crazy open about the tech in the XSX and Sony has been the total opposite, which is really disappointing.
Last gen Sony was really forward in talking about the PS4 and PS4 Pro. Maybe it's because they feel that a specs comparison won't suit them. Don't know.
What say ye, without warning of course.

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

pqueue

Does it matter, either way, if you are not using the power of the console to its limits?

Let's say, theoretically, that the Xbox was "more powerful" than the PS5. Microsoft has done jack crap to push the Xbox anywhere to its limits.

From what I understand, on paper the PS5 ekes ahead of the One X, but Sony definitely uses the full power of their system way way better than Microsoft does theirs.

Last edited:

Cornbread78

Like my politics, I'll shit on both sides flaws and play them both. Switch is last gen interms of tech, so I'll shot on the fuzzy 720/30 Switch machine as I squint to play Xenoblade as well

Cornbread78

Probably not, I have both. Prefer PS5 on controller alone. Why the fuck is the Xbox controller so clicky? It feels light and cheap.

I like the Dualsense but hope for future improvements.
With that being said, I can shut off the boot up chirp on my Ser X, but for fucks sake, the wife aggro homimg missile that is the PS5 boot up chirp cannot be nuked

SeraphJan

There are two types of waring, the serious debate posts, and the meme/one liner posts, the former is fun to watch, the latter is garbage

Last edited:
Games... Well MS have been working on a crap ton without showing them off or having concrete release dates.

PS5 is more balanced, in terms of memory speed, faster read times and the higher clock speed can push it past xsx's higher compute performance in certain scenarios.

But in some games where compute is king, SX will win.

The end. See you every day from now until after the consoles are dead to talk about this :p

PS3 vs Xbox 360 was far more interesting.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Probably not, I have both. Prefer PS5 on controller alone. Why the fuck is the Xbox controller so clicky? It feels light and cheap.

I like the Dualsense but hope for future improvements.
Agreed on this, the standard Xbox controller feels cheap against the dual sense. With that said though the elite is better than both but it should be at $150.

On topic they are both around the same. There's so little in it warriors have a tough fight on their hands this gen. I miss the C64 v Spectrum days, that was an easy win.

Last edited:

Crayon

They're almost the same thing. There's little tweaks between them. Maybe they'll make a difference, maybe they won't. We're going to have to wait a long time to see tho. It's kind of a bummer.

Hopefully games take advantage of the cpus and storage speed to take things up a notch in terms of complexity, because the gpu bump seems to get you up to 1440 60fps and not a ton else. Or the matrix demo shows a more convincing next gen look at 30fps.

With that being said, I can shut off the boot up chirp on my Ser X, but for fucks sake, the wife aggro homimg missile that is the PS5 boot up chirp cannot be nuked
You wish you could turn off the beep sound the PlayStation makes when you turn it off and on?

You’re wife aggros you like a homing missile because the beep? Grab your favorite things in a duffel and walk out man.

I didn’t know you could turn it off on Xbox. I wish I could have the boot splash Xbox logo every time I turn it on. Don’t mind the added time, I like the sound. Guess I could change power save settings or something.

Wish PlayStation had done a better boot up. PSX, PS2, PS3, good boots. 👍

Agreed on this, the standard Xbox controller feels cheap against the dual sense. With that said though the elite is better than both but it should be at $150.

On topic they are both around the same. There's so little in it warriors have a tough fight on their hands this gen. I miss the C64 v Spectrum days, that was an easy win.
I’ve never touched an elite controller, is it really worth $150? I understand premium quality but that seems like a lot to me.

Does it matter, either way, if you are not using the power of the console to its limits?

Let's say, theoretically, that the Xbox was "more powerful" than the PS5. Microsoft has done jack crap to push the Xbox anywhere to its limits.

From what I understand, on paper the PS5 ekes ahead of the One X, but Sony definitely uses the full power of their system way way better than Microsoft does theirs.
Yeah I don't think either console has been exploited yet.
Part of my question is about Sony not giving any further tech dives since the first one. I don't keep up 100 with what is said at developer conferences so I'm asking if that has come out much, and has there been enough released that we have got a good picture of both of them.

From what I understand we have primitive shaders vs mesh shaders, which do pretty much the same thing, and neither has been used in a game that's been released already. Off the top maybe Forza MS with their new Forzatech 2.0 is using it.

Both XSX and PS5 are both great systems and like always what we see today is not as good as what we will see in 4-5 years.

No need for any battles this gen.
I think that are closer than they are different, that's for sure.
In the era of diminishing returns even if the XSX was 20% more power no one will notice.
Last gen when you had 720p vs 1080p it was noticeable. It was obvious that the PS4 was superior to the Xbox One.
With DRS, and also Upscaling its basically impossible to tell the difference side by side.
It's good that players in both camps won't get gimped versions this gen.
So with that being said, it should be easier to compare tech without it going into wars because no console is going to suffer by any degree from those differences.

clarky

Gold Member
I’ve never touched an elite controller, is it really worth $150? I understand premium quality but that seems like a lot to me.
Reliability issues aside, i'd say yes. Can't live without 4 back paddles, game changer for me. I bought a scuff after mine bit the dust and its not a patch on the elite imo. Sent it back and bought a v2 of the elite instead.

Your mileage may vary depending on what you use it for. I play alot of Warzone and a bit of Halo, can't live without it. Takes a while for your brain to reprogram that muscle memory though.

Belthazar

I find it so amusing when grown-ass married men say they aren't allowed to play videogames in their own house. Like, what's going to happen if your wife sees you booting up your console, you'll get grounded?

Wohc

Banned
Right now it does not matter. I think in 2 years or so when we have games that really push the limits we PERHAPS see more differences than 2-3 frames.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Yeah I don't think either console has been exploited yet.
Part of my question is about Sony not giving any further tech dives since the first one. I don't keep up 100 with what is said at developer conferences so I'm asking if that has come out much, and has there been enough released that we have got a good picture of both of them.

From what I understand we have primitive shaders vs mesh shaders, which do pretty much the same thing, and neither has been used in a game that's been released already. Off the top maybe Forza MS with their new Forzatech 2.0 is using it.
The PS5 has a Blu-Ray exploit in the wild, but nothing substantial has been done publicly with it yet. There are also some shared PS4/PS5 firmware shenanigans happening without a public release thus far as well. It's only a matter of time until we see a nearly identical situation as PS4 there.

Technically you can run unsigned code on Xbox, but not for direct piracy of Xbox games. There is a shady account exploit for that, which has been around since about 2015 though. Retail mode homebrew and emulators is a thing now as well.

I think a game like Hellblade 2 will finally show what Xbox Series X is capable of when fully utilized to it's full potential. On PS5 it will probably be Spiderman 2 unless it ends up being cross-gen.

Last edited:
Ok here's a comparison.
PS5 had Primitive Shaders and the XSX has Mesh Shaders.
They both do a similar task. Mesh Shaders are a refined improvement over Primitive Shaders, and brings AMD in line with both Nvidia and Intel. Both DX12U and Vulkan support Mesh Shaders.
So if Mesh Shaders become the default tech, how easily is it to convert to Primitive on the PS5?
If they arnt 100% the same, what may or may not be the real world differences in game?

Reliability issues aside, i'd say yes. Can't live without 4 back paddles, game changer for me. I bought a scuff after mine bit the dust and its not a patch on the elite imo. Sent it back and bought a v2 of the elite instead.

Your mileage may vary depending on what you use it for. I play alot of Warzone and a bit of Halo, can't live without it. Takes a while for your brain to reprogram that muscle memory though.
Just curious, what do you program the back paddles for?

supernova8

Banned
The only truly next-gen looking game(s) are exclusive to PS5 right now (basically Ratchet & Clank, maybe Spiderman at a push) so honestly I don't give a shit yet. Let's wait until we have some next-gen only (and, to be clear, truly next-gen looking) multiplats to compare.

I probably speak for a lot of people when I say I'm not that interested in how they run cross-gen multiplats.

clarky

Gold Member
Just curious, what do you program the back paddles for?
Jump and crouch and whatever else game specific. Usually the four face buttons so you don't have to take your thumb off the right stick or play claw.

All pads should have these imo, but I think scuff have the patent, part of the reason the elite is so expensive and you don't see them on other wireless controllers. ( I think i might be a bit more complicated than that).

Last edited:

Fredrik

No.

And we can never use any game, ever, to judge the power of the hardwares since the code isn’t the same and the hardwares aren’t the same. You need new code, new engines, from the ground up for both consoles to max out both consoles and no dev would ever do that because it takes too much time.

This happens on PC too where some engines are better at taking advantage of the specific positives in Intel CPUs and Nvidia GPUs and some better for AMD CPUs and AMD GPUs, etc.

There will always be a lead platform.

skit_data

It’s pretty hard to talk about the tech in both consoles because Sony has barely said anything about the hardware outside of Cernys presentation pre-launch.
Series X/S tech on the other hand is very well documented, with tons of info on the tech.

In the end I don’t think the differences are big enough to make a huge difference further into the gen. It’s possible the Series X gets a little higher res and/or overall better performance by the end of the gen due to the implementation of VRS (or if mesh shaders proves to be significantly more easy to implement than primitive shaders) but outside of that I think we have 2 pretty evenly matched machines and most of the impressive stuff will come down to developer talent rather than specs.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
Normally when the new consoles are released we don't have enough knowledge to compare them with any real precision. It Normally takes a couple of years before the NDA stuff tends to leak through developer talks etc.
Are we at this point yet?
I think MS have been crazy open about the tech in the XSX and Sony has been the total opposite, which is really disappointing.
Last gen Sony was really forward in talking about the PS4 and PS4 Pro. Maybe it's because they feel that a specs comparison won't suit them. Don't know.
What say ye, without warning of course.
No Way GIF

Top Bottom