• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are we finally getting an achievement system on the Switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wollan

I'm not a trophy hunter nor do I let them dictate my play but I find the feature to be a great gaming diary. Twice that with the PS4 OS automatically storing a screenshot with every trophy earned.

I'm a Nintendo fan and I want this. If they had a clue, achievements would grant you my Nintendo coins, which you could spend on free games.

Instead we will get no achievements and more 30% off coupons from My Nintendo. They are going backwards in so many ways..

Get back to me when its on their hardware, and not a mobile game developed by an outside company.

They are in Miitomo and Super Mario Run, both developed by Nintendo.....

Point is, they do have an Achievement type system. Whether they implement it on Switch remains to be seen. We just don't know yet.

My Nintendo is a far superior achievement system than anyone else has. You get actual, tangible rewards for achievements in games. I'm not sure how more people aren't super excited about this...

And before you ask, they have stated MANY times in their investor briefings that My Nintendo rewards will be adopted by their future hardware... So let's just wait for them to detail anything about their online/VC/OS before assuming there's nothing.

If Nintendo does it, they need to do it better than the way Xbox and Playstation do it. They are completely pointless because they do nothing and almost all of them are awarded in-game any way. Nintendo need to actually give something like viewable trophies as Hazu said and have all the tasks required to get them being seperate from what the game requires of you.

But for that you don't need a system wide achievement system?

A few WiiU games had their own achievements (some even posted to Miiverse) If it's just for that "look what I got moment", individual implementations should be just as fun no?

Just post a screenshot to Twitter?

So make things more fragmented, harder to view and a big pain in the developers butt to have to make for each game?

Yeah, pretty bad solution you're proposing. Sometimes the illogical defence of Nintendo's bad decisions boggles my mind.

SRTtoZ

What a makes an achievements something I should want?

This is whats so great about achievs. They are easy to implement and trophy hunters out there play through games they normally wouldn't just to collect those things. For people like you who don't give 2 shits about them you can just ignore them. They don't hurt the experience one bit, just add it to if you care about those things.

Poona

I'm hoping so.

I like these sorts of things being system wide with dates so I know when I achieved or did a certain challenge. Nintendo can do their own twist on them and call them coins or stamps or missions or whatever.

Qwyjibo

How are people against achievements/trophies?!

It's such a harmless (and mostly fun) addition to games. It's not like games are built around them where they compromise the gameplay in any way. You either play your game and not care about them or you play the game looking to get them and enjoy getting them.

Lighten the fuck up.

How are people against achievements/trophies?!

It's such a harmless (and mostly fun) addition to games. It's not like games are built around them where they compromise the gameplay in any way. You either play your game and not care about them or you play the game looking to get them and enjoy getting them.

Lighten the fuck up.

They're against them because it's a feature Nintendo consoles don't have, therefore it has to be bad. Can't admit that Nintendo are doing something wrong!!!

kunonabi

My Nintendo is a far superior achievement system than anyone else has. You get actual, tangible rewards for achievements in games. I'm not sure how more people aren't super excited about this...

And before you ask, they have stated MANY times in their investor briefings that My Nintendo rewards will be adopted by their future hardware... So let's just wait for them to detail anything about their online/VC/OS before assuming there's nothing.

Because I did all the achievements in Smash and Xenoblade and it freaking sucked. Hell, getting them in Star Fox Guard is almost just as bad with all the grinding and online dependent ones. Nintendo has gotten really lazy with their achievement design and I'd rather they not waste their time or ours with them anymore.

HeeHo

I want them. I think Nintendo could find a pretty unique way to present them too.

I was halfway expecting something like this and I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't get anything. It might sound stupid but sometimes I feel like switching platforms when I'm playing on my Wii U or 3DS just because I know I could be earning trophies on the PS4.

The fact that Nintendo don't support something that every other console has had for literally a decade at this point is as sad as it is unsurprising.

Heck, their games like Smash have to work their own custom system in.

If I recall, Smash was the first game to use achievements before achievements even existed. Melee was the first to have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom