• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are we living in a simulation? (Going down the rabbit hole..)

pramod

Banned
Maybe i shouldnt have gotten down this rabbit hole...but after watching all these youtube videos im starting to really question reality itself.

So far the most convincing "evidence" i have heard is related to quantum physics and the double slit experiment. When you see something so illogical which defies common sense, maybe the only rational way to explain it is that we are only being shown the reality our simulation wants us to see.

Anyone else went down this rabbit hole?

Last edited:

Kev Kev

keanu-reeves-whoa.gif

ultrazilla

Maybe i shouldnt have gotten down this rabbit hole...but after watching all these youtube videos im starting to really question reality itself.

So far the most convincing "evidence" i have heard is related to quantum physics and the double slit experiment. When you see something so illogical which defies common sense, maybe the only rational way to explain it is that we are only being shown the reality our simulation wants us to see.

Anyone else went down this rabbit hole?

Yes and no. We *do* have the power to manifest our reality but it's been suppressed by the cabal for ages now. We are Godly beings, formerly in "tune" with nature and the Earth.

pramod

Banned
I mean when you think about it the experiment really works like how an advanced video game would work. It only renders and shows you things it has to.

Like if an npc shot a bullet that hit another npc in the head. If your camera just happened to be pointed in that direction and see the bullet go thru the head, then it will render the blood splatter on the wall behind the npc.

But if you never looked that way and didnt see it, later on when you look at the wall you see just a bullet hole, but no blood. Because the game didnt have to render the blood, since it knows you never saw what happened.

Last edited:

Crayon

It would be more likely than not assuming you could 'simulate' a conscious experience. That would be more like a creation than a simulation.

The Fartist

Gold Member
Are we living in a computer simulation? I don't know. What I do know is that what we see with our eyes is a simulation. What I mean is, that we never see the world as it actually is, our brains interpret and illustrate the world in a way that suits us best for our survival, so again, we're not seeing the world in its true form. I do think we get glimpses or perhaps even the full spectrum of our actual world under psychedelics. From the handful of times, I've "tripped", I vividly remember how the world always seemed WAY more real than in my normal day-to-day state of consciousness.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That's not evidence, nor should it be convincing.

Just because you don't understand how something works doesn't mean you can insert some other unproven theory as the explanation.

The only rational way for you to explain it is to admit that you can't because you don't understand.

The only rational way for people familiar with the topic to explain it is via principles of interference and quantum physics. These explanations are consistent with reality and other observations. They are more credible explanations than "this is a simulation".

niilokin

excuse my ignorance but how's the double slit experiment evidence for simulation? the "illogic" of it proved that particles like electrons and photons "move" in a wave like manner... sure if you were an observer in the scale of a planck's constant seeing every quanta fall in to their exact place in a super sophisticated system you would probably see it as a simulation, but on human level thinking it's bit child like IMO. it's the same with religion, the forces that keep our reality going and intact is far more complex and elegant (in a positive fucked up way :messenger_grinning:) than a simulation or god like entities from ancient scriptures.

Last edited:

Pejo

Are we living in a computer simulation? I don't know. What I do know is that what we see with our eyes is a simulation. What I mean is, that we never see the world as it actually is, our brains interpret and illustrate the world in a way that suits us best for our survival, so again, we're not seeing the world in its true form. I do think we get glimpses or perhaps even the full spectrum of our actual world under psychedelics. From the handful of times, I've "tripped", I vividly remember how the world always seemed WAY more real than in my normal day-to-day state of consciousness.
More details on that please?

The Fartist

Gold Member
More details on that please?
I wish I had the words to explain it, but I'll try. Everything was just endlessly more rich with detail, kind of like how a cork looks like just any other cork until you see it under a microscope, it's still a cork but infinitely more at the same time. Eat two to three grams of psilocybin mushrooms and see for yourself.

Last edited:
The lack of "impossibilities" is enough to convince me we're living in a reality. Glitches are commonplace in games and simulations so why are they completely absent from our world?

Ma-Yuan

The funny thing is or what gets me down the rabbit hole is how does the universe save any states. How does it keep information so that the sun is where it is and the parameters of it like its current energy state. If it is a simulation it's an easy explanation if not then what does keep the information of properties of our reality stored and where is it saved how our universe works. I mean scientists say there are constants and laws but there is nothing that indicates they could not be different so they must be saved somewhere also simulation would be an easy explanation... So that's it... 🙈

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
The lack of "impossibilities" is enough to convince me we're living in a reality. Glitches are commonplace in games and simulations so why are they completely absent from our world?
How do you know there are not glitches happening all the time? Would u even recognize a glitch if u saw it?

FunkMiller

Why on earth is the double slit experiment in any way illogical?

Maybe less time on YouTube and more time reading is in order OP.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
excuse my ignorance but how's the double slit experiment evidence for simulation? the "illogic" of it proved that particles like electrons and photons "move" in a wave like manner... sure if you were an observer in the scale of a planck's constant seeing every quanta fall in to their exact place in a super sophisticated system you would probably see it as a simulation, but on human level thinking it's bit child like IMO. it's the same with religion, the forces that keep our reality going and intact is far more complex and elegant (in a positive fucked up way :messenger_grinning:) than a simulation or god like entities from ancient scriptures.
I just think of things like atoms and electrons are ultimately the building blocks of the simulation. Since they are the basic structures, they stop making sense or behaving in a rational way. Just like in a video game when u break things down into pixels or bits, then they no longer have to behave like in game objects.

How do you know there are not glitches happening all the time? Would u even recognize a glitch if u saw it?
The world's physics of today are consistent with the world's physics of a millennium ago. There are no novel occurrences that were previously deemed to be impossible.

MilkyJoe

Why on earth is the double slit experiment in any way illogical?

Maybe less time on YouTube and more time reading is in order OP.

Is he talking about that experiment where the photons behaved differently depending on whether or not someone was watching?

Razorback

The quantum stuff might be evidence that reality is computational. But maybe that's the only way there is for reality to exist. Let us speculate that In the void, fundamentally at the core of existence there is only math. In the infinite possibilities that logic can interplay and generate information all worlds that can exist are computational. From analogy we look out our video games and assign them a lower status of existence than what we consider to be reality, but fundamentally they are both made of the same thing.

A simulation on the other hand implies that there's an inteligence behind that has made this world with a purpose. Perhaps, but it doesn't make our experience any less "real" Experience and consciousness is the only thing that truly has value, and it's the same whether we live in a simulation or natural computation or even if my theory is totally wrong and there's an actual substance more real than computation.

SJRB

Gold Member
Consider taking some physics courses. You’ll gain a far deeper, more complete understanding and appreciation for the laws of the universe.

One could argue that on the quantum level at least, the universe does not operate under the same laws and rules we expect it to.

Not just the double slit experiment, but quantum tunneling, entanglement - it cannot be explained by the basic rules of classical physics. But what does that mean? How does it work, then?

It's fun to think about these things, both from a physics and from a philosophical point of view.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
One could argue that on the quantum level at least, the universe does not operate under the same laws and rules we expect it to.

Not just the double slit experiment, but quantum tunneling, entanglement - it cannot be explained by the basic rules of classical physics. But what does that mean? How does it work, then?

It's fun to think about these things, both from a physics and from a philosophical point of view.
It is very much like how a 3D game comes apart when you strip it down to the vertices. Like there is an illusion going on.

pramod

Banned
Is he talking about that experiment where the photons behaved differently depending on whether or not someone was watching?
Not only that. They even tried to put the detector in between the slit and the screen. Once you insert the detector then even particles that has already gone thru the slit will transform. Basically not only are you changing the present u are also changing the past.

niilokin

it is very intriguing but ultimately one just have to accept that the answer might be (very very likely) beyond our capabilities to understand. how I like to think about it is that there just has to be some kind of framework in place for reality to exist and operate as it does. it's remarkable that mankind have invented mathematics for a way to interpret it.

Krathoon

Gold Member
It is also neat how you can't have a continuous simulation on a computer. It has to be discrete. You have to approximate everything. We have a lesser simulation.

Wasn't there a thing called quantum computing?

Wildebeest

Physicists need to work harder to finding the meaningium particle which gives meaning to the universe because gosh darn it still seems that everything is just totally meaningless and not built around the centrality of human experience.

Sakura

Yeah the double slit experiment could be evidence that we are living in a simulation... or, you know, we just don't understand all the rules of the universe yet, and 100 years from now people will look back and laugh at what people in our time thought, just as we do now.

Krathoon

Gold Member
That is the thing. You can't really trust light. It behaves differently whether you observe it or not. Also, you can't trust your perception. Your brain can fill in the blanks. It is all suspect. We take for granted what we agree on as reality.

Razorback

Carefull with the word "observation". In quantum physics things are so small that to "observe" things means to interact with them in some way. Interaction can mean something like bouncing photons off the particle you are "observing". This is actually really disruptive at that scale, because it makes the particle that was in superposition collapse it's wave function. In superposition it acts like a wave and once collapsed it behaves like a particle. To collapse the wave function means that the particle was isolated but once there's an interaction it merges with the rest of the system.

I'm no physicist, I just read a couple of Sean Carrol books and follow the topic as a hobby so take what I say with a grain of salt.

mortal

As of now, there's no way of proving with certainty whether or not we live within a simulation.

It's a plausible theory.

FunkMiller

Sort of. As with anything in quantum physics, it's never as easy as that, and certainly not something that can be explained or summarised in a single sentence!

Ultimately, we're still coming to an understanding of how matter exists on a quantum level, and this is one of those experiments that is designed to help us parse that knowledge.

Needless to say, there's nothing about the double slit, or any other scientific experiment, that lends any credibility to the notion that we're living in a simulation of any kind. We simply do not as yet have a proper working knowledge of quantum physics - or the oft mooted grand unified theory, that would lead us to an understanding of how quantum mechanics functions and dovetails with general relativity.

Frankly, the actual theories surrounding quantum physics are far more out there and weird than the rather prosaic concept that the reality around us isn't actually real.

Last edited:

TonyK

The funny thing is or what gets me down the rabbit hole is how does the universe save any states. How does it keep information so that the sun is where it is and the parameters of it like its current energy state. If it is a simulation it's an easy explanation if not then what does keep the information of properties of our reality stored and where is it saved how our universe works. I mean scientists say there are constants and laws but there is nothing that indicates they could not be different so they must be saved somewhere also simulation would be an easy explanation... So that's it... 🙈
And then, how does that work in the reality where this is simulated? Don't they have universal physics properties? These seem the same doubts that end inventing a God: as I can't understand this reality I invent a deity (another reality in the case of this topic) that explains the things I don't understand from my reality, but I stop asking there, so I move all my questions and fears to a place where I stop asking, even if the questions would be the same for that God or alter reality.

Top Bottom