• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are White People Responsible For American Slavery, Segregation, Mass Incarceration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that really what you got out of what I wrote? Or are you being snarky?

The point isn't to argue the specifics of FGM. The point is to show that the initial question lacks any sort of nuance whatsoever in trying to assess blame or responsibility.

So even though the answers are technically "Yes, yes, and yes (with exceptions)," that elucidates nothing. You have shed any light on any complex historical events nor raised any possible solutions to systemic racism.

What I was trying to say with my post is that with American Slavery and segregation you have two situation where it has been accepted by the majority that those things are ok, it's not a thing that some do and some don't, it was normal in the USA at large less then 50 years ago. Not comparable with some custom in Africa.

Zakalwe

Banned
I think the biggest problem have is "White people". This needs a bit more clarification.

Do you think all white people should share some sense of moral shame at what happened?

Or does this only encompass the people who actually committed the act?

The equivalent argument should all Black People feel bad about the white slave trade that happened in Northern Africa? Of course they shouldn't.

Assigning blame on a whole race of people for something happened over a hundred years ago and demanding that they all for shame over what happened is ludicrous. You don't see the Europeans demanding that Mongolia repay for sacking half of Europe and killing over 2 million people.

Of course there is still institutional racism across the world and its good that movements like BLM are bringing attention to it.

Some people will have stood up and tried to make a difference, but the only reason things like slavery exist is because the majority do nothing.

In that sense, I believe a good deal of white people have been responsible for the oppression of black people, inaction perpetuates these things and a lot of people are just too comfortable/apathetic to care.

Or at least they have been historically.

As a white person I feel the statement justified.

What I was trying to say with my post is that with American Slavery and segregation you have two situation where it has been accepted by the majority that those things are ok, it's not a thing that some do and some don't, it was normal in the USA at large less then 50 years ago. Not comparable with some custom in Africa.

I'm not comparing FGM to systemic racism or slavery. (Although FGM is more than "some custom," considering the World Health Organization says there are more than 200 million victims.)

Anyway... the point is to compare similar methods of asking questions. Asking "Do black people really cut off a woman's clit in Africa?" is just like the question of the OP.

The answer is technically, "Yes." Just like the answer to "Are white people responsible for American slavery?"

But such a simplistic question resolves nothing. You can hide behind the idea that both questions don't say "all black people" or "all white people", but ultimately it doesn't matter.

The questions lack nuance and any sort of historical complexity. They even implicitly draw broad conclusions and associations from the wording of the question.

I just don't recall any time when people talk about how "black people" were slaves, did I see a flood of black people start arguing over semantics about whether we are talking about black people from Senegal, The Gambia, Kongo or Nigeria.

deli2000

Smh at people thinking that racism & the repercussions of slavery are only present in the the US. Between that and people turning this thread into another tired #notallwhitepeople tone policing debate, it looks like we've got another typical racism thread on NeoGAF.

I just don't recall any time when people talk about how "black people" were slaves, did I see a flood of black people start arguing over semantics about whether we are talking about black people from Senegal, The Gambia, Kongo or Nigeria.

People love bringing up isolated incidents as a way to dismiss social justice circles & movements like BLM, but talk about about white privilege and then suddenly that line of thinking is toxic because 'white people aren't a monolith'. No shit, but you know exactly what this thread is referring to, so what are you complaining about? If the mods found the wording of the OP to be problematic, the thread title would have been changed by now.

Smh at people thinking that racism & the repercussions of slavery are only present in the the US. Between that and people turning this thread into another tired #notallwhitepeople tone policing debate, it looks like we've got another typical racism thread on NeoGAF.

People love bringing up isolated incidents as a way to dismiss social justice circles & movements like BLM, but talk about about white privilege and then suddenly that line of thinking is toxic because 'white people aren't a monolith'. No shit, but you know exactly what this thread is referring to, so what are you complaining about? If the mods found the wording of the OP to be problematic, the thread title would have been changed by now.
Thats pretty much what I was getting at. I said earlier about deflecting responsibility being an easier way of dealing with an issue. I feel like thats what people are doing with the whole #notallwhitepeople angle.

Zakalwe

Banned
Thats pretty much what I was getting at. I said earlier about deflecting responsibility being an easier way of dealing with an issue. I feel like thats what people are doing with the whole #notallwhitepeople angle.

I guarantee the majority of people stating #notallwhitepeople are not actively engaging in meaningful ways to bring and end to the various social injustices that spurred the BLM ( I don't just mean this thread, I mean the global discussion).

Which means they're implicit in the perpetuation.

I engage with community activities, protests, and demonstrations. There are tonnes of individual movements and events happening all over London that everyone could get involved with in some way if they have spare time.

And I think the sacrifice of your spare time to causes such as these is a worthy thing, and that as a white male who has lived with that privilege his entire life I also feel it's our responsibility.

I can not believe (but maybe I shouldn't be surprised) at the amount of people in here that are asking for clarification regarding "which white people?"

That's kind of irrelevant to be honest. For one, we're obviously talking about The United States here, and on top of that, it really makes it seem like you guys are simply ignoring the questions that are being brought up, and using this "clarification" as a means to completely remove yourself from having to feel any sort of connection to the issue.

This is kind of the point I'm trying to make. For all of you asking what's the point of this thread, the point is, to get a discussion on what it's gonna take, for modern day white people living in the United States, to look this issue right in the eye, and actually get involved to try to change these issues that they directly, or indirectly benefit from.

Is that clear enough for you guys?

Zakalwe

Banned
I can not believe (but maybe I shouldn't be surprised) at the amount of people in here that are asking for clarification regarding "which white people?"

That's kind of irrelevant to be honest. For one, we're obviously talking about The United States here, and on top of that, it really makes it seem like you guys are simply ignoring the questions that are being brought up, and using this "clarification" as a means to completely remove yourself from having to feel any sort of connection to the issue.

This is kind of the point I'm trying to make. For all of you asking what's the point of this thread, the point is, to get a discussion on what it's gonna take, for modern day white people living in the United States, to look this issue right in the eye, and actually get involved to try to change these issues that they directly, or indirectly benefit from.

I hope so.

It was clear enough from the start, though.

I guarantee the majority of people stating #notallwhitepeople are not actively engaging in meaningful ways to bring and end to the various social injustices that spurred the BLM ( I don't just mean this thread, I mean the global discussion).

Which means they're implicit in the perpetuation.

I engage with community activities, protests, and demonstrations. There are tonnes of individual movements and events happening all over London that everyone could get involved with in some way if they have spare time.

And I think the sacrifice of your spare time to causes such as these is a worthy thing, and that as a white male who has lived with that privilege his entire life I also feel it's our responsibility.
Good for you man. Its not your fault what your ancestors did or didn't do and you've taken on the responsibility to do what you can to make a difference in bringing attention to things and to educate. Thats an honorable thing. It would be much easier for you to just say "Its not my problem." I respect that.

Shiggy

You should not underestimate that the choice of the thread title does matter after all.

EmSeta

I think that's a pretty terrible way to phrase the question.

Are "muslims" responsible for terrorism? Sure, in a way, but it's not a productive way of having a conversation.

The only way that happens is a change of the conception of power all together.

People are selfish creatures, they will not give up on benefits just for mortality/ justice sake.

So until the notion of "stronger together/united/equal" becomes more alluring, it won't happen.

However the USA is a very individualist orianted country, where it's a "dog eat dog world" so this might not happen for quite some time./excluding a war or a huge catastrophe

Verelios

I'm not going to post while frustrated. Of course not all white people were complicit but you all benefit from the privilege. Hence, white privilege. To say anything else is disingenuous. To play semantics is feigning ignorance.

Going to bed.

No, it's not clear enough.

1. People don't change things they benefit from. If you're going to be a social justice advocate, you need to learn this. They will, however, change issues that others suffer from. Big difference.

2. Here's where the purpose of your thread is unclear. Many of us agree that centuries of racist institutions have left in place systemic racism. That's basically your entire point, and it's not a new one.

Instead of asking a simplistic question like "Are white people responsible?" you should come up with a concrete policy goal or solution. No, it's not enough to stay woke or share a Jesse Williams video.

Bring up a unique angle or solution, and then there is area for discussion. Instead your title starts with a poorly-worded question that aims to oversimplify history and race, and then the wording of your OP takes on a weird condescending tone as if you're the first person to read The New Jim Crow.

Your thesis has to be more than, "Am I the only one who realized segregation has lasting effects?"

You should not underestimate that the choice of the thread title does matter after all.
Can a mod please change to title to...

'Do White People In America Enable Racism, Segregation, and Mass Incarceration To Their Benefit?'

It's so clear what the point behind the OP was, and still is. I can't believe some of you guys.

Don't kid yourself. This thread was never about having a discussion. It's about arguing semantics and calling strangers on the internet names.

Infinite

Don't kid yourself. This thread was never about having a discussion. It's about arguing semantics and calling strangers on the internet names.
Calling them which names? Didn't you come in this thread and blame African slavers for slavery?

You're full of shit. Exactly why i have no faith in anything getting better because unfortunately too many people with privilege think like you do. Your fragile feelings above all else.

Zakalwe

Banned

'Do White People In America Enable Racism, Segregation, and Mass Incarceration To Their Benefit?'

It's so clear what the point behind the OP was, and still is. I can't believe some of you guys.

No, because it's global.

Are you white? Where do you live?

Do you actively engage in events, moments, protests/demonstrations or participate in meaningful community interactions that help combat the social injustices that make the BLM movement valid?

I don't mean this to be aggressive, but we all need to think about our involvement and how inaction allows these injustices to perpetuate.

Good for you man. Its not your fault what your ancestors did or didn't do and you've taken on the responsibility to do what you can to make a difference in bringing attention to things and to educate. Thats an honorable thing. It would be much easier for you to just say "Its not my problem." I respect that.

My life is very busy, has it's fair share of hardship, I know for a fact I'm worse off than many of my peers simply because I live with a chronic illness and lack a decent support structure for it.

If I can do this, people in better positions than me can, and there are plenty of those.

Too many of my friends look at it as "not their problem". It's incredibly frustrating.

I understand people have responsibilities. Children, jobs, health issues, money issues, etc... but most of us have enough time to engage with these things in a meaningful way.

Calling them which names? Didn't you come in this thread and blame African slavers for slavery?

You're full of shit. Exactly why i have no faith in anything getting better because unfortunately too many people with privilege think like you do. Your fragile feelings above all else.

You're ridiculous. I march do you? I work with low income families and women's shelters. Don't tell me that you're more woke behind a keyboard. go out and prove it youngster.

No, because it's global.

Are you white? Where do you live?

Do you actively engage in events, moments, protests/demonstrations or participate in meaningful community interactions that help combat the social injustices that make the BLM movement valid?

I don't mean this to be aggressive, but we all need to think about our involvement and how inaction allows these injustices to perpetuate.

My life is very busy, has it's fair share of hardship, I know for a fact I'm worse off than many of my peers simply because I live with a chronic illness and lack a decent support structure for it.

If I can do this, people in better positions than me can, and there are plenty of those.

Too many of my friends look at it as "not their problem". It's incredibly frustrating.

I understand people have responsibilities. Children, jobs, health issues, money issues, etc... but most of us have enough time to engage with these things in a meaningful way.

How about people in worse positions? How about the people living in poverty across the world that are white? Should those people go out and march?

Tell me from the that mountain of moral superiority how we the less morally advanced can go out into the world and preach the good word?

Privilege.

Not all white people around the world have privilege, thats a fact.

Coming from a place where one set of white people and a government oppressed another set of white people (housing, voting, eduction and equal rights for jobs among other issues), paramilitary groups killing said group because of their back ground, collusion between state forces and said paramilitary groups and shoot to kill policies used by police and other state groups ........... well you might excuse me for telling you to get your facts straight.

Shiggy

You don't quite understand why people take issue with the simplistic generalisation. You cannot expect a serious discussion with just a blame game thread title. If there was a thread "Do Muslims Support Terrorism?", technically, the answer would be yes, but do you think a serious discussion would develop? That's why I criticised your thread title and pointed out that the choice of thread titles is pretty decisive, especially when it comes to crucial issues such as the ones this thread should be about.

Zakalwe

Banned
How about people in worse positions? How about the people living in poverty across the world that are white? Should those people go out and march?

Tell me from the that mountain of moral superiority how we the less morally advanced can go out into the world and preach the good word?

Read my post again and you'll see I've already answered that question.

Here are the key parts:

but most of us have enough time to engage with these things in a meaningful way

Of course there are people in awful positions who don't have the time/energy to contribute. That's absolutely obvious and my comment inferred that perfectly well.

The question is: are you engaging in meaningful ways if you can?

If you honestly can't, that's fair. There's no need to be so defensive when it was absolutely clear what I meant. I'm not being superior, I'm just fucking tired of the inaction/apathy of people who have plenty of time/energy/resources to stand up and make a difference.

entremet

Yes.

Undoubtedly.

But it shouldn't be a sign to wallow in defensiveness or white guilt.

The best thing white people could do to help black people is help end the drug war. The drug war is massively skewed toward the destruction of inner city communities.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Seems like to me you're just angry that people criticizes the way you're trying to initiate the conversation, to be honest.

I am not even an American nor I am white.

But anyways, a mod seemed to have fixed your thread title so that's good.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
White people set up the system and remain part of it. It works to their benefit. Instead of confronting it lots of people would rather find a way to wriggle out of having to face that fact.

Ya know. I don't do as much as I can. I'll admit that. I am involved with this little project with a friend that started it that is mostly just about bringing smiles to peoples faces.

The last video was a few guys dressed as ninja turtles going around town giving away pizza to homeless people and other random people. The videos get thousands of views, some tens of thousands. Nothing too crazy. Just getting started.

Some interviews and stuff like that get done and the videos were showcased at an art show that was thrown in conjunction with a reggae festival in town.

I should think of a way to incorporate some episodes or something towards the issue of racism. I'd think something along the lines of that "free hugs" guy. As much as its a serious issue, it would have to be a feel good way of showing something since that is the whole point of it.

Definitely something I will bring up. In the meantime I can look into things that I could get involved with locally. I try to educate any ignant ass I come across but don't feel like I am doing enough.

Zakalwe

Banned
Ya know. I don't do as much as I can. I'll admit that. I am involved with this little project with a friend that started it that is mostly just about bringing smiles to peoples faces.

The last video was a few guys dressed as ninja turtles going around town giving away pizza to homeless people and other random people. The videos get thousands of views, some tens of thousands. Nothing too crazy. Just getting started.

Some interviews and stuff like that get done and the videos were showcased at an art show that was thrown in conjunction with a reggae festival in town.

I should think of a way to incorporate some episodes or something towards the issue of racism. I'd think something along the lines of that "free hugs" guy. As much as its a serious issue, it would have to be a feel good way of showing something since that is the whole point of it.

Definitely something I will bring up. In the meantime I can look into things that I could get involved with locally. I try to educate any ignant ass I come across but don't feel like I am doing enough.

I understand, I could also do more I'm sure. Don't play down the potential impact of a good dead though, no matter how small.

I was speaking with a black lesbian girl I know (she in a very valid position to really understand the impact of inaction and it's effect on minorities) who is very active politically and communally, and she told me the best way she could think of to start would be simply to look for local events or movements and just show up when you can.

Many times, these things need volunteers to aid with admin, sign making, food/clothes/unwanted item donations (if they're supporting people in difficult positions, etc...), and so on.

I offer my services as a web designer to help with any sites they need building, for example.

It might only be an afternoon of your time, but it can definitely make a difference. If we all did this the impact would be huge.

When I say "your time", I mean all of us. And I know this is just one example.

We all know what went down with Slavery.

But I wonder how many people know about all the details behind segregation, and how City Governments, in cooperation with banks, systematically created ghettos.

How many people really know about how mass incarceration, and the Prison Industrial Complex works? Do people realize that in a sense, it's essentially modern day slavery?

There's been so much talk lately about race relations, and policing, but why aren't we discussing the road that led to this?

Why should this be up for debate / discussion OP?
Do you think that eductaional institutions, media etc. aren't covering this topic sufficiently already? Why do you feel that this deserves further discussion? To what end?

Considering how many white people refuse to acknowledge white privilege, or spew out stuff like "all lives matter", or "well, what can we do about it?"....

Would you be able to explain to me as to why you believe it is important that white people stop refusing to acknowledge white privilege? What is the purpose? To what end?
(please note that I am not saying this exists or does not exists, I am curious as to your objective, what a difference it would make and if you can define "many")

Will these issues ever really be addressed in any of our life times? One thing is for sure, the GOP sure as hell has zero interest in addressing these things. Very few Democrats in office are starting to talk about it, but really, how many of them seem to be doing anything about it?

What do you think should be done by politicians? What would your solution be? What would you like to see achieved? What specifically needs to be addressed?

EDIT#2: I can not believe (but maybe I shouldn't be surprised) at the amount of people in here that are asking for clarification regarding "which white people?"

Is that clear enough for you guys?[/b]
For me, and by looking at other peoples replies, no your post is not obvious nor clear hence the questions (including mine)

And last of all, your topic question states:
Are White People Responsible For American Slavery, Segregation, Mass Incarceration?

What would the outcome be, what needs to be done according to you if the answer would be Yes for sake of the argument?
What would the outcome be, what needs to be done according to you if the answer would be NO for sake of the argument?
What is your definition of Privilege?
Who would need to agree with the definition of Privilege?
Is the Privilege part only applicable to White people or are there any other humans with different skin colors that have a certain Privilege over others?

Bonus questions:
Which range of color codes would you say apply to white people availing of white privilege?
Which range of color codes would you say apply to non-white people that are suffering from white privilege?

Interfectum

Are white people responsible for American Slavery? Yes.

Are white people of today responsible for Slavery? No.

Do white people of today benefit from privilege brought by past tragic events? Yes.

Should white people of today feel guilt for what their ancestors did? No.

What should white people do? Vote for politicians and donate to causes to allow our privilege to spread to every American citizen. (IE: Don't vote for Trump.)

Seems pretty cut and dry... but of course all IMO.

I don't see why white people need to feel guilty about something that their ancestors did.

However I do think that movements like BLM are a good thing when used to highlight issues of institutional racism. I think I saw a BLM image about Baltimore indicating the big difference between spending on certain area. Minority areas usually considered the worse off and the least public money being spent of projects in the area.
I can respect this opinion, even though I disagree with it, because it's choosing what's best for everyone based on the now. Even if we absolve white people of the history of how they even got so much power and land to have, we can clearly observe ways white people are still using their power to oppress right now, and something needs to be done about that.

It's like this, but for racism:

What-If-Its-A-Hoax.jpg

I'm not comparing FGM to systemic racism or slavery. (Although FGM is more than "some custom," considering the World Health Organization says there are more than 200 million victims.)

Anyway... the point is to compare similar methods of asking questions. Asking "Do black people really cut off a woman's clit in Africa?" is just like the question of the OP.

The answer is technically, "Yes." Just like the answer to "Are white people responsible for American slavery?"

But such a simplistic question resolves nothing. You can hide behind the idea that both questions don't say "all black people" or "all white people", but ultimately it doesn't matter.

The questions lack nuance and any sort of historical complexity. They even implicitly draw broad conclusions and associations from the wording of the question.

I get the point you're trying to make here, but your analogy is not only flawed but ignorant as shit.

The question in the OP is clearly framed within the national borders of a nation who's entire heritage is rooted in relevance to the core of the discussion. The ambiguity here is time delineated not space delineated, so it's not hugely difficult to understand the argument that's being presented here, within a specific context that gives it credibility (e.g. replace "White People" with "White America" and any unintended ambiguity falls away rather succinctly).

Your question is entirely broken on significantly more levels though (contrary to popular american belief, "Africa" is not a country.. FGM is practiced among only sub-sections of specific national demographics, wherein the practice is officially outlawed but poorly enforced due to large, sparse, remote populations and poor sovereign judiciary controls.. I could go on..) and thus, fails to solidify basically any sense of rational validity, in whatever logical framing one would use to try to predicate it as true.

So no...

It's not the same thing and you're reaching a little tragically by continuing to assert as such..

However, as I said, I concur that the title in the OP was a little incendiary, and "unhelpfully" rendered in non-constructive ambiguity...

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Not all white people around the world have privilege, thats a fact.

Coming from a place where one set of white people and a government oppressed another set of white people (housing, voting, eduction and equal rights for jobs among other issues), paramilitary groups killing said group because of their back ground, collusion between state forces and said paramilitary groups and shoot to kill policies used by police and other state groups ........... well you might excuse me for telling you to get your facts straight.

This is a thread about America. There is America in the title. I have exactly zero clue what you're even talking about. Feel free to post whatever it is you're talking about in another thread that's not specifically about America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom