• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are White People Responsible For American Slavery, Segregation, Mass Incarceration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
uRyfXWi.png

What are everyones thoughts on this timeline graph?

We all know what went down with Slavery.

But I wonder how many people know about all the details behind segregation, and how City Governments, in cooperation with banks, systematically created ghettos.

How many people really know about how mass incarceration, and the Prison Industrial Complex works? Do people realize that in a sense, it's essentially modern day slavery?

There's been so much talk lately about race relations, and policing, but why aren't we discussing the road that led to this?

Considering how many white people refuse to acknowledge white privilege, or spew out stuff like "all lives matter", or "well, what can we do about it?"....

Will these issues ever really be addressed in any of our life times? One thing is for sure, the GOP sure as hell has zero interest in addressing these things. Very few Democrats in office are starting to talk about it, but really, how many of them seem to be doing anything about it?

I'd love to know where everyone stands on these specific things.

EDIT #2
I can not believe (but maybe I shouldn't be surprised) at the amount of people in here that are asking for clarification regarding "which white people?"

That's kind of irrelevant to be honest. For one, we're obviously talking about The United States here, and on top of that, it really makes it seem like you guys are simply ignoring the questions that are being brought up, and using this "clarification" as a means to completely remove yourself from having to feel any sort of connection to the issue.

This is kind of the point I'm trying to make. For all of you asking what's the point of this thread, the point is, to get a discussion on what it's gonna take, for modern day white people living in the United States, to look this issue right in the eye, and actually get involved to try to change these issues that they directly, or indirectly benefit from.

Is that clear enough for you guys?

Edit: wanted to add this video, please watch it.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ty4uC2jiLWI

LewieP

Don't really think there's a debate to be had here. Yes, obviously white people are responsible for all of those things.

guek

Banned
The people responsible have been mostly white, this does not mean all white people should feel responsible for being born into privilege. Language matters, and I think this kind of phrasing distracts from the actual problems of systemic racism.

The people responsible have been mostly white, this does not mean all white people should feel responsible for being born into privilege. Language matters, and I think this kind of phrasing distracts from the actual problems of systemic racism.
This.

ezrarh

I'd say smallpox. If the natives didn't die, the white people wouldn't have had to import African slaves.

Language matters, and I think this kind of phrasing distracts from the actual problems of systemic racism.

Ok sure, but what's it gonna take to get white people to address these things?

To me it seems like it's either one or the other, refusing to acknowledge white privilege, or refusing to acknowledge these issues due to white guilt.

aeolist

Banned
white people who weren't directly responsible directly benefit from it all

that's what privilege is

Ethranes

"People that were where" Sure, "White people" no.

By white people do you mean all white skinned people? because obviously of course people that happen to be white aren't responsible for anyones actions other than their own. If you mean individuals that had white skin, then yes, the people behind the things that you mentioned, were white skinned.

platocplx

all i read this as is, Please be nice to us even though we are the catalyst of many of your societal issues.

It doesnt matter the language. Your feelings being hurt does not compare to the physical and social pain that was wrought upon and maintained by the people you support politically and in many cases within your own social structure of privilege.

Yes. And if you actually understand the meaning of democracy, you wouldn't want to utter these words aloud in the United States, because democracy means majority rules.

i think the question needs to be framed in the past tense:

"Were White People Responsible For American Slavery, Segregation, Mass Incarceration?"

Yes. White people did that.

Im white. i didnt do that.

i think the question needs to be framed in the past tense:

"Were White People Responsible For American Slavery, Segregation, Mass Incarceration?"

Yes. White people did that.

Im white. i didnt do that.
But you benefit from it, which makes you a bad person, I guess.

Yes, the people creating/perpetuating these institutions were mostly white in America, as the people in America were mostly white. I recognize the privilege I have due to the color of my skin. Where do we go from here?

"People that were where" Sure, "White people" no.

By white people do you mean all white skinned people?
I'm referring to all the white people that benefit from this.

All of those who those who that talk the talk, but don't walk the walk.

When are white people gonna start putting their skin in the game, and do something about these issues? Instead of just sitting around talking about how we need to stop killing each other, and "all lives matter".

When are white people gonna stop saying "if they had just complied with the police..."

Etc, etc.

guek

Banned
Ok sure, but what's it gonna take to get white people to address these things?

To me it seems like it's either one or the other, refusing to acknowledge white privilege, or refusing to acknowledge these issues due to white guilt.

The issue is complicated and the solution is not as simple as blaming white people and making them feel perpetually guilty for benefiting from a system everyone perpetuates unknowingly regardless of skin color.

white people who weren't directly responsible directly benefit from it all

that's what privilege is

Yes, and? It's not like black people can't benefit from white guilt, even if those benefits pale in comparison. Two wrongs don't make a right. All you'll get are white people that feel they're indebted and other white people who feel resentful that they're being made to feel indebted. It doesn't actually do anything to fix the issues of systemic racism.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
If white people are not, than it means black people are inherently more evil/criminal, which is a racist argument. Any one who believes that argument is a racist.

Jams775

Maybe people don't want to be lumped together as a singular monster? Time to start calling out individuals for what they do rather than just lumping everyone of the same race together.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is the majority responsible for the opression of a minority? Yes. The answer is always yes.

Maybe people don't want to be lumped together as a singular monster? Time to start calling out individuals for what they do rather than just lumping everyone of the same race together.

If this upsets you, you're technically also upset on the behalf of the kind of white people who want to opress blacks. If you're not one of them, you have nothing to be upset about in the first place. This isn't about singular individuals at all, it's an issue on the social level.

It's just like any major issue really, there's a gun problem, no it doesn't mean every gun owner is a jackass, but enough of them are that it's a trend. Same with white on black relations, there's enough shit happening that it's a trend.

platocplx

Yes, and? It's not like black people can't benefit from white guilt, even if those benefits pale in comparison. Two wrongs don't make a right. All you'll get are white people that feel they're indebted and other white people who feel resentful that they're being made to feel indebted. It doesn't actually do anything to fix the issues of systemic racism.

You are indebited. You built this country you love on free labor and many of you get pissed off when there are things put into the system to try and level the playing field.

So what is it are you going to help fix systemic racism and allow for drivers to be in place to fix it or just be complicit because "you directly didnt have a say in it"

Africanus

If you're going to bring African slaves into this, I hope you all realize the concept of African slavery was radically different from its Americas incarnation.

Slaves typically had more rights.
Slaves typically were not beaten on a consistent basis, if at all.
Slaves were not corralled based on skin tone.
Slaves had more opportunities for freedom and advancement.
Slaves could have children not enslaved.
Slaves typically intermarried with their owner's children.

On that last point, it was often said that the lineages of slave and master so to speak might become so intermixed for one not to remember which was which.

Does this sound at all like American slavery?

So I want you to picture this, you've had your own version of a slave trade, still terrible, still bad, but not as inhumane as American slavery. Europeans at first come to barter for slaves in the usual fashion. So one might say, sure, their slavery must be conceptually the same. But soon, those same Europeans become lustful, and given their advanced weaponry, demand for more slaves deeper into the continent lest they turn the slave catchers into slaves themselves. Stories return of the sort of terrible life slaves lead over in the New World, not to mention the horrid conditions traveling over. What happens then?

This is what I'm referring to though. Rather than just saying "This is why we shouldn't be blaming people..." why not actually address the issues?

this

thread title should be re-phrased for accuracy sake
Ok, how about "Are Modern Day White People Enabling Segregation, and Modern Day Slavery In The Form of Mass Incarceration By Not Addressing The Problem?"

platocplx

Q" Are White People Responsible For American Slavery, Segregation, Mass Incarceration?

A" Yes along with the African slavers who sold them to European Slavers.

cut the bullshit.

You are using this were all to blame shit when this was allowed to go on even longer than when Britain had slavery. Then FOUGHT a civil war to attempt to keep it. No the blame is not fucking equal and get out of here with that bullshit.

Viewt

Well, yeah. The people responsible for those things were white as all hell. There's not really much room for interpretation there.

Whether us white people admit it or not, we benefit from being born white in America, and you have to accept that the privileges we're afforded were born out of systematic kidnapping, enslavement, rape, and murder. It's an ugly, disturbing truth. None of my family was in the States during the time of slavery, but that doesn't mean I don't still get to cash in white privilege points daily. It's so well-ingrained into our society that most of us don't even notice it's happening.

The good news is that every new generation gets the chance to make things better for everyone. As white people, I think the best thing we can do is open our ears to others and meet their (very much earned) frustration with compassion and empathy.

Ethranes

When are white people gonna start putting their skin in the game, and do something about these issues? Instead of just sitting around talking about how we need to stop killing each other, and "all lives matter".

When are white people gonna stop saying "if they had just complied with the police..."

Etc, etc.

It's such a huge generalisation of a white person that it's impossible to answer your questions. I'm white, and am genuinely confused about what it is exactly that I need to do about slavery through to segregation that ended over half a century ago. I'd agree with the issue of incarceration that you mentioned, but again, as a white man, someone coming to me for answers to these issues would be sorely disappointed, I'm so far removed from these white people yet I'm still expected to shoulder their burden.

TheFuzz

Etc, etc.

If you think all white people alive today say those things, 'benefit' from how things are now, and responsible for stuff that happened before we were born, then you can piss right off.

You can't say "the white people that..." And then start saying just "white people."

Like everyone else, we are individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom