• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are White People Responsible For American Slavery, Segregation, Mass Incarceration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind though that slavery isn't just a thing that white people made up. As wrong as it sounds, slavery has been on the backbone of a lot of if not all major civilizations dating back to ancient history. I think what makes this situation more noticeable though is the fact that the repercussions from the 18th century are still being felt in 2016.

"Sell me your people or die."

*Does not sell people"

*Gets killed*

Goes to next person

"Sell me your people or die"

*Does not sell people"

*Gets killed*

Goes to next person

I think the person you are replying to is using a typical cop-out statement but this is pretty inaccurate. Europeans didn't really go far beyond the African coastline until the colonialism era. I don't think there's any evidence of what you're suggesting happening.

Keep in mind though that slavery isn't just a thing that white people made up. As wrong as it sounds, slavery has been on the backbone of a lot of if not all major civilizations dating back to ancient history. I think what makes this situation more noticeable though is the fact that the repercussions from the 18th century are still being felt in 2016.

Yes but there are a couple key differences between what we will call ancient slavery and transatlantic slavery. One is that transatlantic slavery was a permanent condition that was also inheritable. Ancient slavery was often for a set period of time. Quite often successful people in ancient times were former slaves. It was also not race-based, a key component of transatlantic slavery. That kind of slavery and the idea of race came about at similar times and it's not entirely coincidental.

deli2000

Maybe people don't want to be lumped together as a singular monster? Time to start calling out individuals for what they do rather than just lumping everyone of the same race together.

The thing is, it doesn't really matter what people want. As much as we would all like this to not be the case, institutionalized racism is a real thing and is a product of a system that benefits all white people rather than a malicious few. Acknowledging this is a crucial step to starting a frank and honest discussion about racism. There's an entire thread of facts and figures here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=956524

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So you suggest most of the American prisoners are innocent?

Have you seen the time you get for getting caught with weed in some places?

That said, there are enough people who've been executed who turned out to be innocent. Why do you think it's any different for people who just do time?

If you think all white people alive today say those things, 'benefit' from how things are now, and responsible for stuff that happened before we were born, then you piss right off.

You can't say "the white people that..." And then start saying just "white people."

Like everyone else, we are individuals.
Ok, so let's refer to them as the "All lives matter" type. Is that better?

Lime

Yes and they (we) should seek to make up for past injustices (economical, legal, symbolical reparations) while simultaneously dismantle the racist and sexist institutions that we have established and maintained for centuries.

Guevara

Have you seen the time you get for getting caught with weed in some places?

The deck may be stacked, but it's not like white people are going around and forcing people to smoke weed.

At some point people have agency, even in an unjust system. It's kind of infantilizing to assume minorities are entirely helpless, no?

hodgy100

"white people" is a very broad brush there. Do I a white person in the UK sat at my desk contribute to the mass incarceration of minorities in the US? No, infact i'm rather vocal in opposition of it, I just have very little influence.

This is a US problem created and perpetuated by the system in place in the US.

platocplx

Ok, so let's refer to them as the "All lives matter" type. Is that better?

or the what about black on black crime types. or the ones who dont acknowledge the history of black Americans and will be complicit in allowing things to continue as status quo.

Its crazy to me how fragile people are when it comes to this shit. like if you feel like you didnt have a role, okay cool so what are you doing to make sure this doesnt happen any more?

guek

Banned
This is what I'm referring to though. Rather than just saying "This is why we shouldn't be blaming people..." why not actually address the issues?

That's why I said language matters and can be distracting, because inevitably the problem becomes no longer about fixing systemic racism and more about whether or not white people feel guilty enough. White guilt doesn't solve a societal problem that requires multiple changes in education, discriminatory laws, etc.

You are indebited. You built this country you love on free labor and many of you get pissed off when there are things put into the system to try and level the playing field.

So what is it are you going to help fix systemic racism and allow for drivers to be in place to fix it or just be complicit because "you directly didnt have a say in it"

You're making a lot of assumptions, bud. Your righteous anger isn't a valid excuse for blaming anyone and anyone you can.

This is what I'm referring to though. Rather than just saying "This is why we shouldn't be blaming people..." why not actually address the issues?

Ok, how about "Are Modern Day White People Enabling Segregation, and Modern Day Slavery In The Form of Mass Incarceration By Not Addressing The Problem?"

better

Its crazy to me how fragile people are when it comes to this shit. like if you feel like you didnt have a role, okay cool so what are you doing to make sure this doesnt happen any more?

What do you expect people to do aside from vote for the politicians that will help in this regard, attending protests and advocating on social media platforms?

bionic77

I think it is more accurate to say that the American government, which is mostly governed by white men, and the government and those individuals were responsible for the things in the OP.

Not accurate to say white people because most people, of any color, are not making these decisions. Though it is also fair to say that the majority of white people supported them when they were happening.

as long as questions and discussions like this are posted... then it will never end. There are plenty of white people all over the world that had nothing to do with any of this. Bringing up questions where you are only looking for one answer and bashing people when they try to argue (wrong or right) a different point or side is pointless and doesn't help matters at all.

Lime

Considering how many white people refuse to acknowledge white privilege, or spew out stuff like "all lives matter", or "well, what can we do about it?"....

Will these issues ever really be addressed in any of our life times? One thing is for sure, the GOP sure as hell has zero interest in addressing these things. Very few Democrats in office are starting to talk about it, but really, how many of them seem to be doing anything about it?

I asked the same thing last week: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1246087

It's not optimistic

Well, yeah. The people responsible for those things were white as all hell. There's not really much room for interpretation there.

Whether us white people admit it or not, we benefit from being born white in America, and you have to accept that the privileges we're afforded were born out of systematic kidnapping, enslavement, rape, and murder. It's an ugly, disturbing truth. None of my family was in the States during the time of slavery, but that doesn't mean I don't still get to cash in white privilege points daily. It's so well-ingrained into our society that most of us don't even notice it's happening.

The good news is that every new generation gets the chance to make things better for everyone. As white people, I think the best thing we can do is open our ears to others and meet their (very much earned) frustration with compassion and empathy.
I don't usually enter these discussions, but I'm genuinely curious. Does "white privilege" only encompass white people? What about someone like me? I'm Puerto Rican (couldn't tell it if you saw me), my parents and I were born and raised in the Bronx, but we live upstate now. I sure have benefitted from being born here.

Shredderi

The people who did all that were white so, yeah. As for white people who benefit from the atrocities today? Well I don't think all white skinned people benefit from it. I, as a Finnish white man living in Finland don't feel like I or other white people in here benefit the atrocities done to black people. So I also don't feel guilt.

Kimawolf

You should go worldwide. You can throw in all of Africa's problems, and a lot of the middle east's problems thanks to colonial bullshit and arbitrary crap borders.

Jams775

The thing is, it doesn't really matter what people want. As much as we would all like this to not be the case, institutionalized racism is a real thing and is a product of a system that benefits all white people rather than a malicious few. Acknowledging this is a crucial step to starting a frank and honest discussion about racism. There's an entire thread of facts and figures here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=956524

I absolutely agree with you and it's a number 1 problem we need to deal with. I just want to state that I don't think lumping people together for blame is a healthy path to go down.

Where is the I didn't do shit...and I want change but just don't touch my priveledge because that's my normal line?? Ah nvm there it is.

Ashby

I don't usually enter these discussions, but I'm genuinely curious. Does "white privilege" only encompass white people? What about someone like me? I'm Puerto Rican (couldn't tell it if you saw me), my parents and I were born and raised in the Bronx, but we live upstate now. I sure have benefitted from being born here.

Just like Italians and Irish weren't originally recipients of white privilege because they weren't considered white but eventually were brought into the fold, you're seeing Asians and Hispanics increasingly being let into the White American Dream, especially as the Hispanic population grows. Black people though are gonna be left out in the cold until the end of time.

all i read this as is, Please be nice to us even though we are the catalyst of many of your societal issues.

It doesnt matter the language. Your feelings being hurt does not compare to the physical and social pain that was wrought upon and maintained by the people you support politically and in many cases within your own social structure of privilege.

I feel like I've done my part in squandering as much white advantage as possible. The black families withing my social structure are more well off then me with better houses, cars, and vacations.

I found out recently that my great grandparents had a luxury vacation home in Ocean City, NJ with staff quarters and everything. A couple of generations later the best we can do is get a motel room for a long weekend.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
It's such a huge generalisation of a white person that it's impossible to answer your questions. I'm white, and am genuinely confused about what it is exactly that I need to do about slavery through to segregation that ended over half a century ago. I'd agree with the issue of incarceration that you mentioned, but again, as a white man, someone coming to me for answers to these issues would be sorely disappointed, I'm so far removed from these white people yet I'm still expected to shoulder their burden.
Blacks are not expected to shoulder burden, but forced. White people have seen dividends for being white their entire lives, their going to have to give something up if change is ever to happen.

Pau

My favorite are people who like to pretend that there's nothing white or white passing folk can do so why bring it up.

If you're going to bring African slaves into this, I hope you all realize the concept of African slavery was radically different from its Americas incarnation.

Slaves typically had more rights.
Slaves typically were not beaten on a consistent basis, if at all.
Slaves were not corralled based on skin tone.
Slaves had more opportunities for freedom and advancement.
Slaves could have children not enslaved.
Slaves typically intermarried with their owner's children.

On that last point, it was often said that the lineages of slave and master so to speak might become so intermixed for one not to remember which was which.

Does this sound at all like American slavery?

So I want you to picture this, you've had your own version of a slave trade, still terrible, still bad, but not as inhumane as American slavery. Europeans at first come to barter for slaves in the usual fashion. So one might say, sure, their slavery must be conceptually the same. But soon, those same Europeans become lustful, and given their advanced weaponry, demand for more slaves deeper into the continent lest they turn the slave catchers into slaves themselves. Stories return of the sort of terrible life slaves lead over in the New World, not to mention the horrid conditions traveling over. What happens then?
Thank you for this.

Definitely agree with you here. I'm Filipino and my parents immigrated to Cali in the 80s and I was born and raised in the suburbs of New Jersey. I probably benefitted from the same as you have. I don't think the guilt should just encompass white people.

"white people" is a very broad brush there. Do I a white person in the UK sat at my desk contribute to the mass incarceration of minorities in the US? No, infact i'm rather vocal in opposition of it, I just have very little influence.

This is a US problem created and perpetuated by the system in place in the US.

The question isn't just related to current incarceration.

British merchants were the largest participants in the Atlantic slave trade. It was extremely profitable for cities such as Bristol as the merchants brought back goods from the Americas with their now empty slave ships. Part of the foundation of Britain's wealth is the profits made from the slave trade and it's ancillary trading.

Triangle_trade2.png

Just like Italians and Irish weren't originally recipients of white privilege because they weren't considered white but eventually were brought into the fold, you're seeing Asians and Hispanics increasingly being let into the White American Dream, especially as the Hispanic population grows. Black people though are gonna be left out in the cold until the end of time.

My sister in-laws Italian husband would beg to differ with you as would one of my best friends Javier. Both have trouble finding good steady work and both are educated and eager.

BokehKing

Banned
i think the question needs to be framed in the past tense:

"Were White People Responsible For American Slavery, Segregation, Mass Incarceration?"

Yes. White people did that.

Im white. i didnt do that.
Seriously, when will I stopped being blamed for some assholes in the past? What happened was atrocious but I don't remember ever condoning it?

Nothing compares to chattel slavery. Nothing.

Are Whites historically responsible for these things? Yes.

Are Whites alive today? No, but....

I'd argue there's an obligation for everyone of every ethnicity to not stick their fingers in their ears and go "lalalala" and pretend the past doesn't effect the present.

Pau

If you're white passing like me yes we benefit from some but not all white privilege. Usually anything involving people physically seeing us and assuming we're white. On the other hand, we don't benefit in job applications because of our names. (But might once we show up for the interview.)

platocplx

What do you expect people to do aside from vote for the politicians that will help in this regard, attending protests and advocating on social media platforms?

Do not be complict when people in your circle of friends and family are being bigots or racists. Teach your children about race not be colorblind to it and understand why diversity matters and should be encouraged in all aspects of their lives.

I understand change in this country is slow democratically, but if you are really really about a free and fair country those things go a long way at an individual level.

Markoman

I'm from Europe and I was taught in school that segregation ended in the late 60s.
(This black lady denying to leave her seat in a bus because she was black, riots, Martin Luther King, Civil rights activists....)

Regarding OT: Yes, this is a rethoric question, isn't it? With power comes responsibility.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If you want to play the historical blame game we all have blood on our hands. Gallons of it. Everyone has a relative who committed genocide, who had genocide committed on their people. Slavers and slaves. Hell I can trace myself back to a man famous for killing an "Indian" king in a minor colonial skirmish here in the US and more recently a member of the plains tribe.

The US government, run by white men, did all those things and more, genocide included. So has every other government on the planet if you go back far enough. We should be better. We can be better. Things are improving. People are still people though.

E92 M3

I think asking these type of questions will not be conducive to resolving institutional racism in America.

A better question would be: How can we as a society unite and figure out a solution to our divided country?

Do not be complict when people in your circle of friends and family are being bigots or racists. Teach your children about race not be colorblind to it and understand why diversity matters and should be encouraged in all aspects of their lives.

I understand change in this country is slow democratically, but if you are really really about a free and fair country those things go a long way at an individual level.

I would definitely agree with you there, and I'd assume that if you have good values then you'd pass that on to your kids as well. I think personally the media should be held responsible to an extent as well by how they portray black people. Like I don't want to watch the local news and have it be 90% stories of how a black person is wanted for armed robbery.

platocplx

There is some if society deems you white. An anecdote of this is a Latino writer who went to south africa and had a nice taxi driver drive him far as hell out of the goodness of his heart then he tells the man he cant go into town because he killed a kefir(racial epithet) and had to lie low. I think just being aware of it is great even though you still may have times where you do not benefit it if say you start speaking spanish etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom