• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you a blood, bone marrow, and/or organ donor? Why or why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look - I know capitalizing on a tragedy is an awful thing, but I'm trying to find some good out of the horror that is the Las Vegas shooting. After massive physical trauma, such as a bullet wound, humans often need quite a lot of blood transfusions - this puts a huge crunch onto local bloodbanks, especially in basically unprecedented terrorist attacks like what happened in Vegas.

If you're reading this post and you have never donated blood, whether you're near Las Vegas or live in Japan, please take a moment to consider donating. If you've donated before but haven't donated in months or years, please consider donating again.

Certainly, I am not trying to guilt anyone into blood, organ, or bone marrow donation with this post or this thread. However, I know many people are tired of "thoughts and prayers", so here is your opportunity to try and help (assuming you're eligible for donation, etc).

As a non-citizen who only moved to the US from Europe last year I am effectively banned from giving blood in the US.
Their loss.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:(

Reminder since this might start getting a lot of attention today: if you intend to be an organ donor, just marking it on your driver’s license or signing up for a registry is NOT enough. Make sure that your next of kin are very clear about your intentions and are on board, because usually they will have the final say. If information is readily available that you have consented to organ donations, doctors technically don’t have to seek approval from next of kin, but many do anyway to avoid any complications from disagreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom