• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you a patreon?

Rookje

Do you contribute to anyones patreon account? And if so, which? With all the demonitization of YouTube now, it seems like the only way a lot of channels can survive.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I personally don’t and I never will unless something totally amazing comes along. To be honest, I think it’s one of the dumbest things ever in the way that it has played out so far. Mind you, I don’t understand watching “internet personalities” playing games instead of playing them myself, so maybe I’m too old for this model. I will never acknowledge let’s players as an occupation because I’m an old fart and the idea of it makes me laugh, so I would never give them money.

I’ve seen too many Patreons produce poor content and I can’t wrap my head around why anyone would give a stranger money to do basically nothing or do something really poorly. But, it continues to happen.

I have also seen numerous Patreons sign advertising deals after already recieving thousands of dollars a week/month on Patreon. Very, very comfortable money and yet they still seek out advertising dollars on top. Pure greed.

To each their own, but the vast majority of Patreons I see are basically scams in my opinion. There is a reason many of them hid their monthly dollar numbers as soon as they were given that option by Patreon. They don’t want anyone to know how much free money they are getting for very little output. It’s hilarious.

But people will continue to give strangers money for nothing or very little because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A great example is that Youtuber who stopped producing his game reviews years ago (there was a thread on here, can’t remember his name) and people on NeoGAF said “I’ll still give him money every month because I used to like his videos and hopefully he will make some more”. Literally money for nothing. Perplexing.

Rant over and in saying that, people can do what they want, but you asked if I give money to any Patreons and the answer is a resounding NO. Lol.

Ridcully

Not for YouTube content or as "solidarity" for the Zoe Quinn crowd, which is where a lot of the wastage is.

kischine

I would definitely support an artist I like who could use the money to live off of art.
I can't support people if I don't have money tho.

JordanN

Banned
My taxes pay for enough freeloaders.
I'm normally anti-taxes but I fully support crowd funders like Patreon.

At least you get a choice where your money goes instead of the government deciding for you. Plus, a lot of patreons offer you rewards based on how much you contribute so it's not completely a wasted effort.

Nipo

No gaming ones but I throw $50 a month at a few YouTube channels I really enjoy. They make great content and have taught me a lot.

BANGS

Banned
Hell no. I've yet to see any content worth paying money for. They should pay me to watch it...

I thought that patreon is about geek girls in bikini and without it. But this is something different.

It might be easier to get funding with girl in bikinis, but yes, this is like, the complete opposite of that.

The girls are mostly on the Twitch team. One of them is like 6'5 or something, and she wears a giraffe costume as a joke about it.

AaronB

No, but there are a few that I plan to when I can spare the funds. Probably nothing game-related, though.

I support Hardcore History by buying old episodes rather than straight-up patreon. Brett Kollmann makes fantastic football content on youtube and has extra stuff for supporters. I don't just watch people play games; I look for content that's either in-depth analysis or wildly funny.

rokkerkory

My taxes support freeloaders.

Patreon donations support freeloaders.

It wasn't exactly a tricky post.

Since you're not quite that smart to get the difference. Taxes are mandatory and Patreon is a new business model for entrepreneurs. When Patreon becomes mandatory then you can talk.

Spheyr

Banned
Since you're not quite that smart to get the difference. Taxes are mandatory and Patreon is a new business model for entrepreneurs. When Patreon becomes mandatory then you can talk.
The fact that you're completely missing what I'm softballing at you does not make me the one who's "not quite that smart"

woopWOOP

I used to, until I needed to save every penny for myself for awhile. I vaguely recall supporting around 4 through patreon, but I cut that down to 1.
Gave a couple of bucks to someone writing retro videogame reviews in his spare time and making nifty gifs of some of the games he played. The reviews made me laugh regularly so I gladly supported him with that little. Eventually things got in the way, I stopped reading the site and eventually dropped that patreon too.

I set aside about $20 a month for a few podcasts that give me great joy every week.

Their extra content for being a patreoni is substantial too.

wondermega

Patreon is a great idea. For the longest time I was not really into donating anything at all - but I have been listening to the Player One Podcast for 10+ years now and they never fail to entertain me. They all have day jobs so they never ask for money, and beyond the boilerplate at the end of the episode they have NEVER asked for handouts in all of that time. Therefore, since I am working I have no issue giving them $10 a month to support. I give the same to Jeremy Parish/Retronauts, who put out plenty of great retro game content across the board and IS trying to make a living doing this. Not impossible that I will regularly pay to other patreons in the future. I am picky about it though (you have to be).

As an indie developer (on the side) I know what it is like to work hard and put content out there. At some point you have to relinquish the notion that people will pay for it - either you will hit it really big, or you just won't there really is no middle ground - but when even just a few people take an interest in what you are doing, and pay it forward any amount, it really means a lot.

brap

Banned
No because everybody I like that has one gets a lot of money from it. Except Rossatron and Hard4Games. I'd donate to them if I had the money.

Codes 208

I have one but i cant afford giving to others right now. Down the line im hoping to go from drawing webtoons comics as a hobby with a shitty dead end part time job to making comics as my job.

Gander

Banned
I admit I'm jealous, I don't know how these people figured out so early on that people would pay them money to chat with them and watch them play video games.

Pejo

I admit I'm jealous, I don't know how these people figured out so early on that people would pay them money to chat with them and watch them play video games.
Yep. Wish I'd have known there was a market for this years ago.

I don't personally support anyone on patreon, but I can't believe how many cosplayers can make a living off of it as a platform.

Top Bottom