• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you able to bounce between more than one single player focused game at the same time?

Shantae

Banned
Clearly some people are able to jump from one game to another, especially if one of them is multiplayer game or something. I mainly play single player story driven games, so my preference for what I wanna play at any given time is limited by that factor.

Right now I'm in the middle of Ghost of Tsushima, but when I'm away from home, I mainly have to play my Switch to keep busy at work during slow time, which during third shift is a lot, which is why I'm able to make this thread. Anyway, because the game I currently have on my mind is only on PS4, I'm really just feeling stuck. I have plenty of Switch games I could boot up and kill time with, but my mind just isn't interested in playing anything else until I get back home and play more Ghost of Tsushima.

Even when I have been home, I've been playing GoT so much, that I wanna just take a break from it because I don't wanna breeze through the whole game for it to be over, but every time I stop, and look at some of my other games on any other system, I just can't bring myself to boot something else up, and I end up going back to GoT. I guess I have a limited attention span or something, because I can't focus on multiple narratives until one is done.

I was in the middle of Paper Mario prior to when I started playing GoT, but I lost all interest in that game once I started GoT...and I feel like that game was just getting really boring when I stopped playing it, so that's another aspect to this.

Ya know what would have been really nice, having Streets of Rage 4 on Switch right now. That's actually something I'm in the mood to play. I am so pissed at Gamestop, because I had that game preordered, and the physical copies released on July 30, but Gamestop being useless didn't even get any copies for the Switch in stock, even though multiple people at that location preordered it. I should have just gone to Best Buy and got it, because they had some, but the manager told me he'd give me a discount on it when the copies arrive.

NewYork214

Yeah. I can but 2 is my maximum. I've been flipping between last of us 2 and ghost lately.

To be fair. I've been doing new game plus of last of us, so been skipping all cut scenes. So not really driving into both at same time.

Gameplay wise. It's hard to switch between control schemes of more then 2 at a time. Recently jumped back into GTA online with a friend. Takes me a bit to get use to controls for each game. Especially running mechanics. Pressing L1 all the time in GTA to run.

ShaikhCroft

Sometimes when I play games like Resident Evil 7 a few days ago, I couldn't stop playing it all the time until I finished the game!

But at the moment I have plenty of Single Player games on my computer to choose from. For example currently playing -
  • Assassin's Creed: Unity (Replaying)
  • Beyond: Two Souls
  • Doom
  • Far Cry 4
  • Watch Dogs
  • GTA V
So I switch between them all the times. Though I usually play two games each day. Suppose I play Doom and Beyond today but I played Watch Dogs and Far Cry 4 yesterday.

Nico_D

Yeah. If I have multiple unplayed or waiting to be replayed games available. In that case I usually have two story drive games and then a simulator or puzzle game
(Two Point Hospital/Murder by Numbers) going at the same time. At the moment I'm playing Mass Effect 2 and Splinter Cell Blacklist - but I have played both of them before. Typically I need somethng lighter to counter a heavy (j)RPG

Last edited:

DelireMan7

I also play mainly singleplayer games and I've always played 1 at a time. It happens that I play a bit of a MP at the same time but it's rare. I prefer also to dedicate my gaming time fully to a MP game if I play one.

There is some online coop sessions with a friend on others game (Dark Souls, Street of Rage 4, Dead Nation...) in between but it's not really regular and not disturbing my "main game progression".

Last year, I started to play Dragon Age : Origins on PC (I never game on PC usually) and other games on console at the same time but I regret it. I loved Dragon Age but it took me more than 1 year to complete and most probably lost a bit of it in the process. Will never do again.

So yeah : I play a game and savor it as much as I can/want then I move to the next one.

THEAP99

Banned
no not really. i find it hard getting fully into a game doing this as it also messes with controls.

Kamina

Golden Boy
If they are both story focused games, no.
If only one is story focused and the other isnt, or both arent, then yes.

I am playing Artelier Ryza and Nioh2 parallel to each other. One story focused the other pure gameplay at that stage.

Edit: Nioh2 paried with Ghost of Tsushima would not have worked out though, the controls are just too different.

Last edited:

Khyle

Neo Member
Nope, I've only managed to do that a few times, and that was only because:
a. I had already played one of the 2 games I was playing a few years before so I didn't need to focus 100% on it
b. the story was a pretty minor part of my enjoyment of the game (for example, a Pokemon game)
But never more than 2 at the same time. I tried 3 once and ended up just focusing on one of them and leaving the others for later.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
All the time as I sometimes tend to get a bit bored with one game and I noticed it does not help if I stick to it and don't play anything else.

For instance, been bouncing back and forth between Spyro 2, Dark Cloud and AC3 the past few weeks. Got the Platinum in Spyro 2 last week and now that I have vacation this week I decided to put Dark Cloud and AC3 aside and play RDR2. But when I realized that this game (even though quite amazing) is more real life simulation than game I decided to throw in Metroid Prime as pure game to spice this up. So I guess I'll be going back and forth between those two this week.

And once I'm done with RDR2 I'll just go back to Dark Cloud and AC3.

mcz117chief

Yes, I got like 20 story heavy games in my backlog and I can easily remember the story, character names, where I ended and controls of each.

turtlepowa

Banned
I could, but i don't want to. Will also save me some bucks for expansion cards since 1Tb will be more than enpugh for me.

Barnabot

yes. i'm juggling between pillars of eternity 2, ac syndicate and some forza 7 or even automobilista 2 here and there.

Zathalus

For Single player I prefer sticking with one game at a time. Gives me better motivation to actually finish the game.

Banned
yeah, I'm currently playing Ghost of Tsushima, The Touryst and Cross Code.

I always jumped from game to game even as a kid. playing multiple gameboy games that I bought cheap at the flea market and such.
this continued once I got my first hone console, the PS1.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I usually have a couple of games on the go - given we are a one-Switch household I need something to play on the PC when the wife wants the Switch for instance.

I normally try and keep story games to less than 5 or so at a time, I'm getting old and my memory isn't what it used to be.

Freeman

Banned
Not at all. Usually if I drop a game it's very hard for me to get back to it.

This happened to RDR2, I was liking it but it was feeling overwhelming, so I decided to play other things, haven't found the will in me go back to it so far.

If I'm really into something I play it to the end very fast, then take a break for while(specially if it was really good).

Last edited:

Hydroxy

Yes as long as they belong to different genres. Like i can easily play one horror game and one action game or even 3 together.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
No I'm kind of the same op.

I really only play single-player story-driven stuff. The only time I'll stop a game & move on is when I'm not enjoying myself. When I'm into something, I've got to stick with it. Trying to follow different plots in different stories at the same time isn't satisfying for me.

StonedRider

Nope. My muscle memory is awful so I end up messing things up, pressing the wrong buttons all the time.

Yeah, this! When I was playing through Star Wars Fallen Order, I've bought Dark Souls remastered and tried to play both games - it was a mess. I usually took Estus instead of rolling and tried to parry with block button in DS. In the end I decided to finish Fallen Order before replaying Dark Souls.

But I can play story driven action game with strategy games like Civ or Stellaris, for example.

Gandih42

I usually prefer sticking to one until I'm completely done with it, but lately I've been branching out a bit.

Been playing through Fire Emblem: Three Houses over the last couple of months while I finished Outer Worlds and Prey on PS4. Currently still doing the Prey DLC (god damn that game keeps impressing me) and just started playing Nier: Automata.

Once I finish off the Prey DLC I will stick to one game on each platform at a time (with exception of going back to games for additional playthroughs).

I do it quite a bit. Right now I'm playing Paper Mario: The Origami King, Final Fantasy VIII, Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair, Dragon Quest VIII, and Vagrant Story. Sometimes I take a break from a game or 2 if I get caught up in another's story.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Yes, frequently, but more than like two and invariably something drops.

Usuallly they're on different platforms. Like I'll have a switch game or a PC game and then a PS4 game, so I play them at different times in different places.

T-Barbs

If i play something i really like and the game has a complex story and deep mechanics, then i prefer to focus on that one until i finish it.

I can have a "side dish" with something more action, racing or arcade oriented but as an example, i would never play two different RPGs at the same time because personally, i would consider it a waste and a thing that would ruine my experience.

But this is just my way, of course.

HE1NZ

Banned
I always play only one game. If you play several at the same time you'll end up not finishing any of them.

Valentino

I don't know how people do it. Bounce from one world/vibe/aesthetic/ story/characters, and to another. When I finished The Last of Us Part 2 I was IN that world and lore. After I finished, I went online and watched anything I could on the game. Watching videos on things I had missed, unnoticed details, critiques on the game that brought up things I hadn't even clocked about a certain character or plot detail......
But I went straight in to playing Spiderman PS4 (first time).................. but my head was still thinking about LoU2...... Spiderman was so fun though, but something wasn't clicking so I had to take a break from gaming for a while. I regret jumping into a different game so soon. Dunno how you guys do it.

Umbral

One game at a time for me. Can’t do the game hopping stuff. The only way I’ll move on is if I’ve finished it or decided I’m never going to finish it.

Fbh

Yeah.
I used to always focus on 1 game but in recent years I've started enjoying playing 2 or sometimes even 3 at the same time, it really helps keeping things varied and I've found myself sticking longer to games that might otherwise "burn me out" after a couple of weeks.
The games need to be rather different from each other though. Like a FPS and a story heavy RPG.

But for games I'm REALLY into I will focus entirely on them. Stuff like Sekiro or God of War

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
No i can't. If i start another story based game i will end up dropping the previous game even if i enjoy it. Especially if they are open world RPGs.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I can but only if it is not story - heavy. For example if i am plating the witcher 3 i cant also be playing FF7 remake, but i can play Gran Turismo or Tekken
This is the only way I play games. I feel bored playing one game of nervous how it will pan out, so I play 2 or 3 games at any given time. I usually pick one from Steam to be played on PC (single-player) and two more on different consoles.

Bkdk

If t he I have similar control schemes, then sure, like I still bounce from fallout NV, Skyrim, fallout 3, fallout 4 whenever I want some modding and open world fun.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I have been able to bounce between my single-player play throughs of Human Fall Flat, Totally Reliable Delivery Simulator and Cluster Truck without muddling any of the more nuanced story elements.

Nope. My muscle memory is awful so I end up messing things up, pressing the wrong buttons all the time.

Yep. In fact, I avoid playing games of the same type one after the other, so I don't try and use the controls from the previous game in the new game.

I made that mistake coming from No Man's Sky into Resident Evil 7. Amusingly, at one point I tried to run, pressed the wrong button, and ducked instead. This happened just as a chainsaw was swung at me, which ended up with me earning a trophy. Seriously, I'm not making this up. It was a mixture of annoyance that I kept using the wrong controls and amusement that I had unlocked a trophy in the act of doing so.

Top Bottom