• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you into autographs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm searching google about autograph restorations
(I'm pretty high)
and that gets me thinking about how big of a deal it is to some people to obtain famous peoples signatures on their favorite product of theirs or linked item to their profession.

How do you feel about autographs?
is there something you feel when you get "the one" you've been looking for either it being of a dead celebrity (used in the loosest sense of the word to encompass sports/music/television/film...etc) or living celebrity?
are you still looking for the one autograph?
what are you willing to do to get it?

I have autographs I favor a bit more than normal, but I don't think I'd ever get seriously into autograph collecting. It just seems like such an odd hobby, but I'm genuinely curious to know more about it. I guess autographs are pretty neat....

photojost8.jpg

i have this one sitting on my desk at home. it's the lead castle crashers artist that I got at PAX08 (which is why im looking into autograph restoration and if it's possible to do, but are there issues with that with some people? evidently there is some big problems people have with it).

you now know my name, the shame.

For a few very select people. Mostly comic book writers and pro athletes.

I met Stan Lee last year and got him to autograph a Spider-Man poster.

Autographs are unnecessary to me. If I meet a celebrity I like, and they aren't in the middle of something, a friendly handshake and some chitchat is good enough for me.

The only autographs I ever really want are on my hockey jerseys. I'd love to get a bunch of jerseys signed and hung up on a wall somewhere down the line. Hopefully I get a chance to do that at some point.

Pau

I like getting art prints and books autographed, yes. Some of the folks have been assholes but others have been really nice to talk to.

I'm not really, but it's a pretty standard thing with my circles to get books signed at readings and such. I don't do it very often, because it's just not that meaningful to me, but occasionally I'll pick up an author sig and have ended up with a bunch sort of by default. The best one was Etgar Keret drawing me in a hot air balloon.

I don't really go out of my way to get them, but I have a bunch. Oddly enough, they were all gifts.

A signed copy of a Robert Jordan book.

Several signed band t-shirts when I was too sick to go to Warped Tour with the gang. (My Chemical Romance, Flogging Molly and few lesser known ones)

A comic book signed by Summer Glau.

Depends on the situation. I've been to plenty of events, but I have never once asked a celebrity for an autograph. In fact, the way I treat celebrities (especially those I meet at parties) is to not even acknowledge them half the time, or if I do, in an understated way. I'm more interested in building friendships and contacts than autographs.

When it comes to books, I have 12 or so that are signed. Some were bought pre-signed (I have a signed copy of Nathan Rabin's My Year of Flops I bought from a Chapters, for example) and a few others I had signed by authors in person, although they weren't really official appearances.

I have a few other signed items that I've collected over the years as well.

I don't know I like autographs but won't go out of my way for them

Also how do people feel about getting the autographs themselves and buying something someone else had signed?

For one you don't know if that persons just forged it and the other you don't really have a personal connection to it

Overall though I could easily live without them

Have a couple here or there

Pau

I don't know I like autographs but won't go out of my way for them

Also how do people feel about getting the autographs themselves and buying something someone else had signed?

For one you don't know if that persons just forged it and the other you don't really have a personal connection to it

Overall though I could easily live without them

Have a couple here or there
I've gotten books that were signed (limited edition runs) if they cost just as much a non-signed edition. The only time I've gotten a book that was signed for someone else, it was a gift, and the person who gave it to me went out of their way to find it because they knew my chances of ever meeting the author were slim so that meant a lot more than the actual signature. So buying it as a present for someone I can see working well.

Kisaya

I'm really obnoxious whenever I meet someone well known or famous that I'll like. I try to get an autograph or a picture (most of the time I try to get both). Don't really have a huge collection though, just a few of some artists/musicians that I like.

Certinty

Only autographs I've ever got have been from tennis players, and even then it's not something I care about much, but if I have a nice opportunity to get them it's not a chance i'll pass up on.

Autographs are weird and stuff like that makes me a bit uncomfortable. Famous people are still just people, you know?

I saw Dinosaur Pile-Up earlier in the year and got the last copy (like last last) of their first album on vinyl, and the merch guy offered to get them to sign it. I was just like "...eeeeeh, that's ok" >_>

JMizzlin

When it comes to celebrities it always surprises me that people are willing to pay $30+ at expos to get their favorite actors signatures/photos.

When it comes to the costumed characters at Disney World I'm astounded. I signed all kinds of weird shiz when I worked there that people young and old took huge value in. Someone brought in a complete collection of Disneyland Paris collectable cards from, like, 2008, only to have me effectively ruin the Frozone card by signing it.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I only have two signed books (a Nemi book, for those of you who know of that comic, and the Art of Ammerican McGee's Alice: Madness Returns), but I've got quite a few signed CDs, but they're more or less all by goth bands so we're not talking A-list celebrities here (maybe except for that Ceromonies box I got signed by Fields of the Nephilim since Carl McCoy is kinda goth royalty). Oh, and some signed Iron Maiden stuff (a poster signed by Nicko, an old vinyl single signed by Bruce and a copy of Virtual XI signed by Blaze Bayley).

And, er, I also have The Hoff's autograph ._.

tensuke

Sure, I don't usually keep a pen on me so you'll have to supply it but I don't mind taking a few seconds for a fan.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
When it comes to celebrities it always surprises me that people are willing to pay $30+ at expos to get their favorite actors signatures/photos.

When it comes to the costumed characters at Disney World I'm astounded. I signed all kinds of weird shiz when I worked there that people young and old took huge value in. Someone brought in a complete collection of Disneyland Paris collectable cards from, like, 2008, only to have me effectively ruin the Frozone card by signing it.

Which Disney character get bothered for autographs the most? Does Disney make you learn a specific style of sig so there is parity for the decades of different people in the Mickey costume?

My friends and I used to go to the local hockey arena and ask for autographs from the AHL players that were there. I think the only guy that made it to the NHL was Felix Potvin.

I have two autographs from the singer Sarah Slean that she signed for the first 100 or so people that bought her CD online. Didn't buy them for that, but it's a nice touch. Would never ask for an autograph in person though.

Ekdrm2d1

Yes, I am.

I'm into the rap group South Park Coalition. I know most of the members and have their whole discography on hard copies. Sometimes, the 20 year old music costs a lot but it works out in the end as I get it personally signed to me.

Autographs with your name on it devalues the item but I don't care. It's to me, from the artist.

This weekend I met 4 rapper's. I shouldn't whore this thread with pictures.. Here's a few though

1st was the $100k copy, then the billion dollar copy, and now the trillion dollar copy!
Edit: These are all sealed in plastic, hence the Ebay talk. I "could" sell it on ebay and list it as "Ultra special and rare, the $100k copy!"

Vinyl, Promo 8x10 (home printout), and Re-Issue CD-R
* All signed by K-Rino, G.T., and Preppy J

Vinyl is signed in three places. Jacket, Sleeve, and Ring

Vinyl collection. 2 sealed and 1 opened

K-Rino's new album Plantation Rebellion

K-Rino's new album theRAPutic

Se7en's book

As a bonus, I try to get photos with them too. My newest photo is with Preppy J

Ekdrm2d1

How do you feel about autographs?
is there something you feel when you get "the one" you've been looking for either it being of a dead celebrity (used in the loosest sense of the word to encompass sports/music/television/film...etc) or living celebrity?
are you still looking for the one autograph?
what are you willing to do to get it?

I like them. Puts a personal touch to the item. I personally met the person.

Happiness. Personalized to me, nobody else has it. One of a kind (when signed to my name.)

I'm looking for rarer than rare items. Gotta buy the items to get it autographed.
I recently lost a Clean In-Store copy of a CD via an Ebay auction. I was super pissed! User's fault, I tried a new option on Ebay. I did not know what I was doing. The item is so obscure that I've never seen it before it was posted. Might come around once every 6 years :/

Bid hundreds of USD.

Brought all my vinyl to K this weekend. Originally he only signed the inner ring of the record. I asked him if he can sign it all, jacket, sleeve, and ring.

Real Chill, C.O.D., Stories From The Black Book, Danger Zone, No Mercy, and K-Rino.

Rings look like this

scott3iwo2a.gif

If I met someone I truly adored and admired it would be nice to have some memento from the encounter, but I don't think autographs are worth all that much.

i'm into autographs until exactly about 5 minutes after obtaining an autograph.

there is this though. i designed this poster and both members of the presets signed it during a backstage meet and greet thing over beers. that was pretty fucking cool.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
No. I don't really get the whole autograph thing. I have my favorite book signed by my favorite author, but it holds more meaning because a friend got it for me than for the signature.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I always hate seeing autographs on the plastic shell of a case. Why not sign the actual cover?

I would totally take the case from one game/movie/album and swap it with something completely unrelated at first opportunity.

They are meaningless to me.

I can see how if the autograph increases the value of an item like a CD etc (not just a signed photo or napkin), then it's worth getting them if you are a collector and/or seller of such things.

Other than that, I find autograph collectors borderline creepy/stalker-ish. You only have to watch movie premieres or stage door type things on TV to see how little interaction there is between the autographer and fan, a lot of the times they never even make eye contact, it's just a split second squiggle, then on to the next one. I don't see any point in that as a fan, in fact the opposite, it seems empty and almost insulting.

Machine

I don't really care about autographs. I took some comics to a convention once to get them autographed and it kind of turned me off to the whole process. However, I do have something signed by J. Edgar Hoover which I think is pretty cool.

aphasias

Sometimes when I'm at a concert and the artist is working the merch booth and selling an album I don't own, I may pick it up and ask them to sign it. Actually, I've only ever done this once. Usually I'll just congratulate them on a good performance and take my leave.

I wouldn't bother attending an artist signing event.

I always hate seeing autographs on the plastic shell of a case. Why not sign the actual cover?

I would totally take the case from one game/movie/album and swap it with something completely unrelated at first opportunity.

Yeah, don't get that either.

I don't think I'd get anymore autographs at this point in my life, but I do love the one's that I have.

Tom Savini signed my Day of the Dead DVD
George A. Romero signed the cover (not the plastic shell) of my Dawn of the Dead DVD
Elvira signed a sexy picture of herself
Bruce Campbell signed both of his books for me
Tony Todd signed a picture from Night of the Living Dead
Marc Singer signed a Beast Master picture

I think Clive Barker was kind of hitting on my older brother. He drew him a quick picture of Adam (Adam and Eve), and under the drawing it said "an Adam for an Adam, Clive Barker."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom