• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you still a fan of turn based RPGs?

SantaC

Naturally, the modern RPGs are starting to drift away more and more from the classic turn based battling concept with the introduction of several different real-time battling systems.

While this is a good evolution, I still enjoy a turn based battling system if it's fast enough, and I don't want them to become totally extinct. Should new RPGs today still have turn-based battles; what are your thoughts of this?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I do not play Team Action RPGs... if I play a RPG with a party of characters I expect to have total control over the entire party.

Turn based time til I die baby... Turn based til I die...

Turn based battles are still my favorite. Developers have figured out how to speed them up so they always stay fun (Grandia for example) so its no problem for me.

Amir0x

Banned
They're ok. Many still suffer by trying to rely too much on past systems, making them just feel outdated. But there are still some good ones.

Ranger X

I prefer turn based because i'm not stupidly impatient and also they still are more strategic than most real-time systems.

Turn based fo life

Vieo

I'm ok with turn-based RPGs, but I'm no longer ok with random battles. I find it really hard to sit down and play an RPG with random battles these days.

edit: Unless it has a killer storyline.

Amir0x

Banned
Vieo said:
I'm ok with turn-based RPGs, but I'm no longer ok with random battles. I find it really hard to sit down and play an RPG with random battles these days.

God, yes. Death to random battles. We should be past that shit already.

Ranger X

I think that real time fighting system works better with real time encounters. Turn based fit more with random encounters.
But i can agree it's still is annoying those random encounters sometimes.

SantaC

Amir0x said:
God, yes. Death to random battles. We should be past that shit already.

Totally agree. While I still like turn-based battles, I can't stand random encounters anymore.

I can't agree more. I have no problem with turn based combat and quite enjoy it in fact, but I hate random battles. Really, really hate....

BxHwsvd4291968.jpg

"Is there ANY other kind?"

It sounds like your mainly referring to Japanese RPGs. Still, some of my favorite games are the old DOS RPGs and their turn-based combat systems, so I doubt I will ever grow tired of turn-based RPGs.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I don't mind them at all. Especially when they're rather fast paced (like SMT:Nocturne or Phantasy Star 4, for instance). Random battles aren't THAT bad, plenty of the best games ever had random battles in them... I like being able to see opponents, so I can skip past them, but random battles always remind me of the thrill of trekking through the sprawling Phantasy Star 2 dungeons (or FF1, DQ3, any of those oldskool RPGs), with 2 characters dead, the other 2 extremely low on HP, where the next step may be your last...

I prefer when the battle systems need you to use strategy instead of just hitting A all the time, healing occasionally.

What made the KOTOR battle system so good? I saw my brother play it for a little while, but don't really see the big deal with it. But it HAS to be better than Jade Empire's :p

slayn

needs to show more effort.
stuff like Baldur's Gate 2 is far beyond turn based battles, but it wouldn't work well without a mouse so I can understand not using it for console RPG's. KOTOR's is a dumbed down/butchered version that I really didn't like very well but I guess if you only play console games it could be an innovative experiance.

But for consoles stuff like Tales is far batter than turn based I think. Especially for the fact that such a system allows for multiplayer goodness ^__^. But even single player I find it to be far superior.

I don't really have a problem with turn based battle systems. Seeing an RPG with the standard turn based menu system doesn't turn me off from a game but there really isn't any reason to still use ye olde standard.

I'm of the opinion that if an RPG is going to used normal turn based battles it should at LEAST try to approach it differently like Baiten Kaitos.

and yes, random battles should die. Hell, just make it like Tales where after a while the blob dudes spawn and chase you down.

The only time random battles get on my nerves is when they're coupled with a slow battle system. This is especially bad if you're strong and it still takes long to get out of the battle system because of it being slow. If its like SMT where you're out of it within a few seconds then i'm fine.

jarrod

Banned
Nope. In terms of design, mechanics and pacing, SRPGs and ARPGs tend to be infinitetly more engaging for me.

ronito

I think it's high time we drop random encounters like the festering cespool that it is. Having been a RPG fan since the Genesis/SNES days I'm tired of it. In fact, its gotten to a point that I will not play an RPG if it has random encounters unless I hear from a ton of people that it's amazing, and even then high random encounter rates can kill it (see Skies of Arcadia).

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Gattsu25 said:
Baldur's Gate 2 is turn based

Yes but real time, if that makes sense??

Everything is done via turn base dice rolls (the amount of attacks etc..) but it's real time with a pause feature.

DarienA

slayn said:
stuff like Baldur's Gate 2 is far beyond turn based battles,

Q: Is BGII:SoA real-time or turn-based?
A: The BGII:SoA engine (the BioWare Infinity Engine) is real-time but the game is pauseable and actions may be assigned to characters in your party at that time. This is just an option that a player may use if the action gets a little "out of hand." In general, the AI scripting will permit easy control over the six character party with minimal need to resort to the space bar for pausing. For those of you that recall the excellent Microprose game, Darklands, the real-time combat and pausing system can be considered to be similar. X-Com 3 uses a similar pause feature as well.

Q: But turn-based is so much better than real-time.
A: The game is real-time but we have provided options to permit a pseudo-turn-based system. Beside using the space bar to pause game, you can set options which will automatically pause the game, such as your character being hit, reaching a low number of hit points, or their weapon breaking. It can also be set to pause each time it is the character's turn.

Owned ;)

In essense Baldur's Gate(which I have limited experience with) seems to run a similar style to something like KOTOR... KOTOR is real time in that you can buffer your commands, or you can let it run through one set of commands, wait for you to enter the next set, etc... Baldur's is different, but I'm just trying to say that KOTOR is another example of a "real time" game that really has a turn based background to its combat.

NotMSRP

1 character -> action-base
2+ character party -> turn-base

Random encounters are okay as long it is not annoyingly frequent.

I don't mind a good turn-based system (FFX) just as I don't mind a good real-time based system (Diablo2). When they are mediocre (KH), or bad(XS), however, I typically despise the game, regardless of the battle system.

Darien: Technically, BG2 *is* turn-based, things happen via rounds, and you can even set it to auto-pause during the start of a new round in order to hand out orders. As is, KOTOR, the whole buffering commands thing is pretty much just pre-entering turn commands.

ourumov

Turn Based forever...I can't stand the ARPGs. If I wanted an action game I would buy an action game and not just a RPG.

DarienA

Teknopathetic said:
Darien: Technically, BG2 *is* turn-based, things happen via rounds, and you can even set it to auto-pause during the start of a new round in order to hand out orders. As is, KOTOR, the whole buffering commands thing is pretty much just pre-entering turn commands.

Yes that's what I was badly struggling to say... the cut and paste was from a BG question/answer session.

PC Gaijin

The pseudo-realtime system used in the Infinity Engine games is my favorite. You can let it run itself for many encounters, yet it can be fully turn-based for key or difficult encounters where you need complete control over tactics.

As for turn-based RPGs: if you're talking about the typical turn-based console RPG, then no I'm not much of a fan anymore.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
I don't have the patience for turn based anymore on consoles. Handhelds? Perfectly fine with me.

I'm looking forward to FFXII because of the more action focused system, although I fear it will be changed to something more resembling a turn based system for the final product.

slayn

yes yes yes Baldur's Gate is turn based but you all damn well knew what I meant =P

I don't remember the terms in BG but at least in Neverwinter Nights there are in fact turns, labeled as such, but I would still call it 'real time' in regards to this discussion.

DarienA

slayn said:
yes yes yes Baldur's Gate is turn based but you all damn well knew what I meant =P

I don't remember the terms in BG but at least in Neverwinter Nights there are in fact turns, labeled as such, but I would still call it 'real time' in regards to this discussion.

Actually I don't know what the hell you're talking about now... it doesn't matter what the label is... you've either got a turn-based engine or a real time one... as discussed here some of the games folks might have thought were real time, are just turn-based games running in disguise mode. ;)

xsarien

daedsiluap
Despite the fact that turn-based completely takes away from a certain element of "reality" a game may otherwise have, I do prefer it. There's something to be said for being able to think carefully about your next move in a battle, rather than being forced to make a quick - and possibly bad - decision in the heat of the moment.

To be completely honest, between Star Ocean and KoTOR, I'm completely sick and tired of realtime systems. Bring on the old school turn-based systems I know and love. FFX and Xenosaga remain my two favorite RPGs this gen.

slayn

my memory of neverwinter nights is more recent, and its basically the same thing, but the way it works is:

a round is 6 seconds long. During a round, every unit in combat gets 1 action. So if you were to play a round of neverwinter in slow motion and actually list all the commands given, it would in fact be a simple initiative based turn based system where everyone inputs their one command, you watch it play out, and then you start the next round and pick a new set of commands. At its heart, Baldur's Gate and the like are turn based.

Movement though, is real time. You can move any of your characters when ever you want no matter how the turn based stuff is working out. Coupled with the fact that terrain matters, movement is immensely important. That is, if your wizard is dying you can in fact go have him hide behind a rock and run in circles around a pillar to keep from getting smacked.

Because the combat is fast paced and all mundane actions are AI controlled, coupled with the real time movement system, the battles 'feel' real time. Playing neverwinter multiplayer with pause disabled feels no different systematically from playing diablo.

In fact the reason pause exists in Baldur's Gate is the system is simply too fast for the human mind to keep up strategically.

Even with pausing in Baldur's Gate though, battles 'feel' like real time events. Especially if you get up to your max attacks per round and then your fighters are swinging continually. And so in a discussion of turn based vs real time RPG's, I would consider BG's system to be real time.

The best example I think, would be Fallout Tactics. You can in fact, switch between 'turn based' and 'real time' in the options. And the 'real time' mode is, basically, the Baldur's Gate system.

Prine

Banned
NO! Unless its like KOTOR, turn based systems suck.

i tend to go for action RPGs, just the thought of all the bs potions, summons, phoenix downs etc just drive me mad. i fucking hate it

When I played Zelda: A Link to the Past, I wondered why the fuck people still care about turn-based RPGs so much. But then Mario RPG reminded me they can still be subtle and charming. Then Pokemon proved they could be addictive and utterly life-destroying.

Luckily games like Paper Mario keep things fresh for me.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Yes, I still like turn-based RPGs. As long as the battles aren't slow, filled with pre/post-loading and long, unskippable animations.

Tsubaki

I agree completely with Darien Allen. If it's a party-based game, then it better be fully controllable by me. If it's going to be realtime, then the game should be designed around 1p, and not a party.

djtiesto said:
What made the KOTOR battle system so good? I saw my brother play it for a little while, but don't really see the big deal with it. But it HAS to be better than Jade Empire's :p

If you believe that Tales is broken, as I do, then KOTOR is Tales done right. Because KOTOR's is very similar in concept (but Tales has a fully real-time mode). It's semi-real time where you choose the actions of one particular character and the other party members are controlled by AI.

What makes KOTOR work is that you can actually input commands for each party member manually, and moreover queue up commands for the next 3 turns, and/or adjust as needed. So it has the speed of semi-real time battles, yet has the precision strategic decision making of turn-based. And if you don't want to deal with it, then you can just let the AI choose their actions.

KOTOR's battle system nuances are hard to see when watching, but when you start playing and getting into difficult battles, you'll see that it's got a lot to offer. What's lacking in KOTOR is the effect of positioning. There's little advantage to moving around (ie, you can't attack while moving. but while actively moving your char around, the enemy is no less likely to hit you). Compare this with Panzer Dragoon Saga which is the most obvious use of moving/dodging vs attacking.

Prospero

I hate most real-time RPGs. If they're the sort in which you handle one character while the computer's AI handles all the others, either the party AI is so good that I ask myself why I'm bothering to play the game at all when I could leave the house and let the AI handle everything, or it's so bad that playing is an exercise in frustration.

Turn-based RPGs (SMT: Nocturne; Shadow Hearts 1 and 2; Paper Mario) are far more entertaining to me.

Apenheul

I think turn-based adds a certain level of strategy (planning / gambling) to the game, it doesn't work well for every RPG but I sure don't want all RPG's to be realtime.

opkal

Hell yes, if I find myself not playing a turn-based RPG for a while I start to get this itch that I just need to scratch. Maybe it's just because I feel that beating a great RPG is probably the most satisfying thing about gaming.

Top Bottom