• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you still a fan of turn based RPGs?

uncdeez

PC Gaijin said:
The pseudo-realtime system used in the Infinity Engine games is my favorite. You can let it run itself for many encounters, yet it can be fully turn-based for key or difficult encounters where you need complete control over tactics.

As for turn-based RPGs: if you're talking about the typical turn-based console RPG, then no I'm not much of a fan anymore.
You should try Fallout 1 & 2. The combat in those games rapes the sloppy port of 2nd Edition AD&D Ruleset in the Infinity Engine games. The Fallout games are more non-linear as well. Then again, you won't find a compelling story in the Fallout games like you will in Planescape: Torment or the Baldur's Gate games.

Koshiba

Yes, I still like turn-based RPGs and I think I might even prefer them. :) Though as other people have stated, I do hate it when it's slow or has animations that can't be skipped. That gets annoying.. And I'm not particularly fond of random encounters but they're okay as long as they aren't too frequent. :)

PC Gaijin

Isn't FFXII going to use a pseudo-realtime combat system as well? It looks to be heavily influenced by FFXI. Can someone give me a short description of how the combat will work in XII?

uncdeez said:
You should try Fallout 1 & 2.

I've played both of them. :)

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
it's the only battle system that really works, actiony turn-based stuff is nice, but pure action rpgs are boring, they lack the depth of both turn-based games and action games

Pimpbaa

I like turn based RPGs, but I loath most games that are turned based lately. The likes of FFX and Xenosaga almost turned me off on those type of games for good.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
callous said:
Yes, I like them a lot when they're fast like FFX-2.

Is FFX-2 turn based? Don't the enemies continue to attack even if you don't quickly choose your next action?

callous

DarienA said:
Is FFX-2 turn based? Don't the enemies continue to attack even if you don't quickly choose your next action?

Good question. I really don't remember exactly, but I would still call it turn based. At least, a great mix of turn based and real time.

I thought I was until I started playing Shadow Hearts about a month ago. I enjoyed the game a lot but it was hard for me to sit down and play it for long periods of time. I've been leaning towards SRpgs more I guess, which are similar to and extent.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Paper Mario series, Shin Megami Tensei Series, and Wizardry PS2 series say... FUCK YEAH!! I still love turn based RPGs.

Plenty of more awesome examples, but those are some recent ones.

jiggle

Definitely. <3 Atelier Iris 2. And Grandia III, Shadow Hearts 3 and Dragon Quest VIII soon. Won't be tired of it any time soon.

snaildog

uncdeez said:
You should try Fallout 1 & 2. The combat in those games rapes the sloppy port of 2nd Edition AD&D Ruleset in the Infinity Engine games. The Fallout games are more non-linear as well. Then again, you won't find a compelling story in the Fallout games like you will in Planescape: Torment or the Baldur's Gate games.

Glad someone mentioned it; Fallout has the best battle system I've played. I still enjoy some console RPGs, but they need a serious overhaul. Gotta disagree on Fallout not having a compelling story though, I loved every minute of it.

yes. turn based RPGs are my staple diet as far as RPGs. didnt like how PSO turned out. I crave turn based RPGs were I have total control and as much time as I want to make my decisions. I dont even play the newer FF games because of the realtime elements that have creeped in.

snaildog

midnightguy said:
yes. turn based RPGs are my staple diet as far as RPGs. didnt like how PSO turned out. I crave turn based RPGs were I have total control and as much time as I want to make my decisions. I dont even play the newer FF games because of the realtime elements that have creeped in.

You know FFX is turnbased right?

nitewulf

still a fan? absolutely. loved grandia 2's and FFX's battle systems. hate all the AI controlled team mates in other rpgs like SO3. till they can program it right, keep it turn based. i love it.

as for ARPGS, the battle systems suck ass. i dont know why they bother. make it like shinobi/dmc/ng then we'll talk.
*slash, slash, slah, move back*
fuck off already.

SA-X

Nope, I never really was much of fan though. Its not that I need something faster paced, I love a good turn based strategy game, but most turn based rpgs seem to rely mostly on tedious stats building rather than strategy.

I play RPGs for the battles so hell yeah. I can rarely enjoy an Action RPG and Strategy RPGs are hit and miss with me. I mean, one of my favorite Dreamcast games were Evolution 1 and 2, which were pretty much all turn based RPG fighting. I like to work hard to see my characters grow in stats.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
One thing i can't stand in a lot of Turn Based RPG's are the random moves that enemies make and complete lack of strategy. This makes many games too easy and hard battles are often won out of luck.

I am sure when playing a FF game we have all had our entire party on the edge of death and the boss you are fighting busts out its most pathetic move.

Turn based...untill AI gets better. The last "Rpg" I played was KotoR2. I guess it's "turn based" or was really bugged. I didn't like how I had to pause combat switch characters to tell them what to do IF they weren't stuck behind something or just standing in the middle of nowhere watching paint dry.

Ark-AMN

Banned
I still like Turn based RPG's, though I'd personally prefer it if more developers tried to make battle systems like the one in Tales of Symphonia.

Of course like most people here, random encounters have to become a thing of the past, was playing FFIX recently and man, they can really start to get at you.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
SantaCruZer said:
Totally agree. While I still like turn-based battles, I can't stand random encounters anymore.

Guys....let me tell you why Turn based/random encounter rpgs are better than realtime Arpgs....

In realtime action rpgs, your character does not advance his stats and thus there is no leveling up. In turnbased random encounter rpgs, you have the ability to level up your characters and give them better weapons/spells as well as offensive and defensive attributes. That is the difference for me. I love spending hours leveling up my characters with random encounters and then watching them have a slight advantage over the enemies for the duration of the game. Random enounters mean that you can continuously fight monsters over and over again and level up, while reatime "visible" monsters usually do not respawn therefore limiting your hack and slash potential.

isamu said:
Guys....let me tell you why Turn based/random encounter rpgs are better than realtime Arpgs....

In realtime action rpgs, your character does not advance his stats and thus there is no leveling up. In turnbased random encounter rpgs, you have the ability to level up your characters and give them better weapons/spells as well as offensive and defensive attributes. That is the difference for me. I love spending hours leveling up my characters with random encounters and then watching them have a slight advantage over the enemies for the duration of the game. Random enounters mean that you can continuously fight monsters over and over again and level up, while reatime "visible" monsters usually do not respawn therefore limiting your hack and slash potential.

That couldn't be further from the truth IMO. I prefer Turn Based if i play an RPG once in a blue moon, but strategy RPG's have enemies that respawn as well. You can play the same level over and over levelling up. Baldurs gate on the PS2 for instance and Diablo II on the pc, if I'm not mistaken.

Scott

isamu said:
In realtime action rpgs, your character does not advance his stats and thus there is no leveling up.
This is not true. Every type of RPG -- Strategy, Action, Turn-Based, Pen & Paper, MMO, etc -- offers that in some form. It's an element of the whole statistical-based play thing, which is what every RPG revolves around.

Odds are you've just been confusing Action/Adventure titles for Action/RPGs, as it's something that happens all the time.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Folks seem to be mixing some of the poorer conventions of RPGs with turn-based gameplay.

I think I prefer turn-based play, as it allows more time for strategy. I like some "action RPGs" (Tales of Symphonia?), but I do find that I prefer choosing attacks from lists and plotting strategy over running around and slashing. The problem is that many RPGs seem to get bogged down with boring segments... random character battles are not necessary (follow Nintendo's lead with Mother/Earthbound/Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi, folks!) ... walking three steps and having the screen flash can get rather annoying.

I do think that, in general, I prefer turn based games over "action" ones. Then again, maybe I play the games for the strategy element.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Ark-AMN said:
I still like Turn based RPG's, though I'd personally prefer it if more developers tried to make battle systems like the one in Tales of Symphonia.

Of course like most people here, random encounters have to become a thing of the past, was playing FFIX recently and man, they can really start to get at you.

For me, it's not primarily the random encounters that get on my nerves...it's the speed of the battle system, and the transitions (black screen/loading) from map to battle screen. Bring me a fast, fun and engaging battle system, and it won't matter whether the game has random encounters or not. Well, unless the encounter rate is crazy high.

Turn based is fine. A fuckload of random encounters (Skies of Arcadia) is what gets tiresome, unless the battle system is solid and/or there's a compelling reason to level up (SMT:N fits both reasons well enough for me to grind through it). FF's system is fine except for the fact you have to use it a million times because of random encounters that don't do much for you. I liked Kotor's pseudo-realtime turnbased play and I didn't get tired of it since there weren't a ton of battles.

Top Bottom