• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARK: Survival Evolved |OT| Early Access to the Land Before Time

What have you guys found that's the best way of gaining xp quick. I found making lots of sparkpowder and then turning that into gunpowder gives me a ton but I was wondering if you guys knew of any other strategies.

hepburn3d

What have you guys found that's the best way of gaining xp quick. I found making lots of sparkpowder and then turning that into gunpowder gives me a ton but I was wondering if you guys knew of any other strategies.

Tribe shared XP works best for me. Hunters, gatherers, builders all sharing XP :)

What's everyone's opinion on building resource requirement? I feel like I cut down half a rain forest to build one hut. Is a real shame when you want to build inside a wood only to use the entire wood to build.

Karak

I don't know but that would be hilarious. All I can see is my mouse cursor (normal windows one)

EDIT: I don't think I am spawning at night since I can't even manage to pull up the menu when pressing ESC

Well night isn't even close to pitch black anyway so no worries. NO matter what you would be seeing at the very least 1-2 obelisk light patterns even with the worst weather.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

If you want to tame a dino (especially something that takes a long time) as you are constantly picking narcoberries you will get a ton of fiber. Make cloth hats. I did this over the 3 hour span it took to tame my carno and jumped several levels just as a bonus.

A friend convinced me to buy this but my sucky card (6870) makes it unplayable. :( Even with every setting on low/off (making it look worse than a PS2 game) and turning my res down to 720 I still only get maybe 1-4 FPS inbetween it freezing for seconds at a time. Took forever just to open the menu to close to the game lol.

~Kinggi~

Banned
A friend convinced me to buy this but my sucky card (6870) makes it unplayable. :( Even with every setting on low/off (making it look worse than a PS2 game) and turning my res down to 720 I still only get maybe 1-4 FPS inbetween it freezing for seconds at a time. Took forever just to open the menu to close to the game lol.

Devs seem insanely lucky they are getting a lot of free passes for the abysmal performance. Probably why its labeled early access.

JambiBum

Devs seem insanely lucky they are getting a lot of free passes for the abysmal performance. Probably why its labeled early access.

If the actual game play wasn't as much fun as it is then they wouldn't be getting the good wrod of mouth that they are about it. You wouldn't see it at the top of twitch for this long either. They've been pretty open about how awful the performance is and that they are working on it. If they don't fix it then they'll stop selling copies and the game will die.

If the actual game play wasn't as much fun as it is then they wouldn't be getting the good wrod of mouth that they are about it. You wouldn't see it at the top of twitch for this long either. They've been pretty open about how awful the performance is and that they are working on it. If they don't fix it then they'll stop selling copies and the game will die.

Yeah, according to the early access page they just grinded out content to provide people with hundreds of hours of gameplay and have not touched optimization till now.

From what I've heard I believe it I've played Rust, H1Z1, RoK and this game seems to have way more content than both combined already. I've also read they are updating the game daily and performance is getting better so that's a positive outlook.

I tried to find info but who are these devs and where did they come from? I follow these game and this one just came out of nowhere. Waiting for my RoK refund to go through so I can buy this game and jump in. Looks like it has a ton of promise.

MajorMane

It's really frustrating when you've spent a ton of time on a server and then it's constantly full. The game really needs a queue feature so you can get in without having to spam Refresh and hope for a chance to even see it at 69/70 people.

And for the record, I know Steam has a queue feature for servers, but it constantly says there's 72/70 people on the server and so it won't join... even though I can see new people joining. So frustrating.

It's really frustrating when you've spent a ton of time on a server and then it's constantly full. The game really needs a queue feature so you can get in without having to spam Refresh and hope for a chance to even see it at 69/70 people.

And for the record, I know Steam has a queue feature for servers, but it constantly says there's 72/70 people on the server and so it won't join... even though I can see new people joining. So frustrating.

Question you can move your characters to other servers right but obviously not your inventories?

On the 100+ player servers, your character, everything you built, and your pets, stay in-game even when you leave. You can even physically travel your character and items between the network of ARK's by accessing the Obelisks and uploading (or downloading) your data from the Steam Economy! A galaxy of ARKs, each slightly different than the previous, to leave your mark on and conquer, one at a time -- special official ARKs will be unveiled on

JambiBum

Yeah, according to the early access page they just grinded out content to provide people with hundreds of hours of gameplay and have not touched optimization till now.

From what I've heard I believe it I've played Rust, H1Z1, RoK and this game seems to have way more content than both combined already. I've also read they are updating the game daily and performance is getting better so that's a positive outlook.

I tried to find info but who are these devs and where did they come from? I follow these game and this one just came out of nowhere. Waiting for my RoK refund to go through so I can buy this game and jump in. Looks like it has a ton of promise.

They update it daily and provide constant updates in the steam forums about what's going on. They could have put it out and then just left it to die but they haven't. I know that the devs all came from other places with good backgrounds but I can't remember the exact details about it.

They update it daily and provide constant updates in the steam forums about what's going on. They could have put it out and then just left it to die but they haven't. I know that the devs all came from other places with good backgrounds but I can't remember the exact details about it.

Yeah there seems like an actual end game and progression here. In Rust once you've built your base all there is to do is raid and hoard materials, In H1Z1 there is even less to do because of how minimal the basebuilding is and how non threatening npc's are.

Why is that? Thinking about picking this up but with a busy schedule I won't have time to play with others much.

Pretty much the nature of the genre. You have less people gathering, building, defending and unless you build well and don't get found out you can lose a days work in an instant.

Absinthe

Pretty much the nature of the genre. You have less people gathering, building, defending and unless you build well and don't get found out you can lose a days work in an instant.

Well that's disappointing. I really wish they would make one of these games without pvp or with non pvp servers.

Well that's disappointing. I really wish they would make one of these games without pvp or with non pvp servers.

I think there is PVE servers? I know there is in H1Z1 but there really is'nt enough content or much threat to make PvE servers much fun in H1Z1 this game seems to have enough content for it.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

There are non-PVP servers. It can be disabled in the server settings when hosting.

Solo mode mostly works, although I think there wouldn't be enough points to unlock all the recipes. There's a single-player-only console cheat which gives them all though.

Karak

Why is that? Thinking about picking this up but with a busy schedule I won't have time to play with others much.

Not sure. Have over 60 hours alone and absolutely love it and most of my subscribers are going alone and love it. Limitless stuff to do. Probably a person to person thing as it can be difficult alone and if you can't hack that I could see getting upset. If you want it easier its more for groups. But its very outlandish to pretend its not single player playable and enjoyable and you can easily, without much of a problem, keep alive and even dying your items remain there anyway so you don't lose anything at all.

Rafy

Well night isn't even close to pitch black anyway so no worries. NO matter what you would be seeing at the very least 1-2 obelisk light patterns even with the worst weather.

Yep, worked it out. Turns out only the GAF server does that. I have been playing on an EU PVE server no problem...

JambiBum

There are non-PVP servers. It can be disabled in the server settings when hosting.

Solo mode mostly works, although I think there wouldn't be enough points to unlock all the recipes. There's a single-player-only console cheat which gives them all though.

You don't really need all of the recipes though. Mostly just the ones that build into the other more important stuff later and whatever saddles you want. Having multiple is nice because you can gather resources and split tasks easier, but it's not necessary like it is in other games thankfully.

Absinthe

Not sure. Have over 60 hours alone and absolutely love it and most of my subscribers are going alone and love it. Limitless stuff to do. Probably a person to person thing as it can be difficult alone and if you can't hack that I could see getting upset. If you want it easier its more for groups. But its very outlandish to pretend its not single player playable and enjoyable and you can easily, without much of a problem, keep alive and even dying your items remain there anyway so you don't lose anything at all.

Thank you. This sounds promising. During my playtime I definitely want to join up with groups and play together. Is it easy to join up with people you see along the way?

Ghizz

Thank you. This sounds promising. During my playtime I definitely want to join up with groups and play together. Is it easy to join up with people you see along the way?

Yes it is quite easy. Invite to a tribe and just use voice chat!

Also, we need more people on the GAF server! come play!

JambiBum

Latest patch notes, it's hard to keep up with these guys.

- Q in the Inventory Menu toggles Item Text Overlay Mode, which will remove all the non-critical text overlays from the item icons, such as name, type, etc.
- Fixed numerous server and client-side crashes.
- Fixed getting your body or tribe taken over by someone else -- no more Invasion of the Body Snatchers!
- You can now search for sessions "by name" within the In-Game Browser UI
- Changed coordinates on Map Marker placement to Latitude First, Longitude Second, as it should be!
- Fixed -nomansky option which you can also access via the game's Steam Launch Options to properly not initialize the dynamic sky system. Use this launch option if you're getting video driver crashes, and it'll resolve them! however your sky system will be simpler, for now.
- No longer lose performance after singleplayer savegame loads! Still needs more testing for possible side-effects!
- Added LAN support. LAN games will now appear on the server browser via the server filter type dropdown. Happy LAN gaming!
- Increased the yield of metal ore gained from metal-type rocks with non-metal tools by 3x.
- Increased the number of metal-bearing rocks in mountains/summits by a ton - hundreds and hundreds of rocks added.
- Mountain-rocks which yield metal now also yield Obsidian at a reduced rate.

GAF I love dinosaurs! And this game looks really good from what I'm seeing, but is it worth the money at this state? People have said it is unplayable atm and that buyers should save there money until it performs better. What do you guys think.

JambiBum

GAF I love dinosaurs! And this game looks really good from what I'm seeing, but is it worth the money at this state? People have said it is unplayable atm and that buyers should save there money until it performs better. What do you guys think.

It's not unplayable. If it was those of us who play it wouldn't be enjoying it so much. It just depends on whether or not you can accept not so perfect performance or not. If you can handle that then you should have lots of fun, if not then don't purchase it now and wait.

Which server are you on? I'd like to come have a look at this big base, even if only a quick glance from the outside. Friendly by the way. Would join too if you're looking for new blood. Very familiar with the game but would probably be starting at lv 0 again.
I'm on official 50. Steam id same as here if you want to join. Found a base today that puts ours to shame though. Always need more blood as it's a fully persistent game

Man I hope this goes on sale even a bit cheaper during Summer Sale. This thing looks fucking amazing from the gameplay trailers I've seen. No idea if it plays as fun as it looks though

Once you reach a certain level in the game, it clicks on you (at least it did for me). I finally tame a Dilo and a Parasaur, build them a nice fence and stopped for the night, It is a lot harder playing solo, but it's very rewarding.

While I'm playing solo, I have encountered plenty of friendly people at the Gaf server, I hope it stays that way for a while, although it would be awesome to maybe make some jurassic arena and have people fighting with their tamed dino's against each other :p

Btw, thanks the warrior for the pike(not sure if he's from Gaf) is an awesome weapon! Can't wait till I reach a level where I can make all that awesome weaponry.

JambiBum

Man I hope this goes on sale even a bit cheaper during Summer Sale. This thing looks fucking amazing from the gameplay trailers I've seen. No idea if it plays as fun as it looks though

It's already 17% off. It's not going to get cheaper than that because most of the time EA games don't go on sale during steam sales unless they are near completion and this one isn't. It is definitely as fun as it looks in the trailers though.

Sevenfold

The game's had a load of patches since the start of this thread.

JambiBum

Apparently there was some crazy battle on the main twitch streamers server where someone killed another tribe's dodos and so a huge battle broke out where both tribes lost a lot of stuff including 3 tamed Rexes and some other claimed dinos. I missed out on the actual battle but I'm watching a stream that's discussing the aftermath of it. Sounds pretty crazy and if I can find a vod of it later I'll link it.

Need your opinion. I'm out on my raptor exploring the ARK looking for other tribes, seeing if anyone needs help or is under attack by another tribe because my tribe is trying to be the good guys defense tribe and whatnot. Locked up all my doors and gates, all animals set to neutral. All of a sudden I get the notification that a level 45 character has killed one of my raptors. I come back to find her dead on inside the walled of area on the front door of our house. All the doors and gates still closed.

Guy claims he was minding his own business, dino attacked him because gate was open and he was defending himself. No other damage done but he did loot the saddle. Now I don't really minds is just a raptor, but we have much more valuable pets and items inside. His story doesn't line up because the gates were all still closed when I came back and again dino dead at front door which looks like he was going to break in. Called him out as a liar which I suppose was a bad move because now a good chunk of people in the global chat are annoyed with me.

JambiBum

Need your opinion. I'm out on my raptor exploring the ARK looking for other tribes, seeing if anyone needs help or is under attack by another tribe because my tribe is trying to be the good guys defense tribe and whatnot. Locked up all my doors and gates, all animals set to neutral. All of a sudden I get the notification that a level 45 character has killed one of my raptors. I come back to find her dead on inside the walled of area on the front door of our house. All the doors and gates still closed.

Guy claims he was minding his own business, dino attacked him because gate was open and he was defending himself. No other damage done but he did loot the saddle. Now I don't really minds is just a raptor, but we have much more valuable pets and items inside. His story doesn't line up because the gates were all still closed when I came back and again dino dead at front door which looks like he was going to break in. Called him out as a liar which I suppose was a bad move because now a good chunk of people in the global chat are annoyed with me.
There's the possibility that the raptor was clipping through the gate, saw him trying to break the gate down, attacked him and he just killed it through the gate since it was clipping through. Always set your dinos to neutral when you leave, that way they will only attack if they are attacked first. Also make sure that things aren't clipping through walls so you don't even run the chance of something like that happening.

kcxiv

Game is ok, but i see alot of problems once everyone is Max Level. They are going to just completely decimate new players trying to level up. Right now everyone is just leveling minding their own business so the fun is to be had, but soon when everyone has ntohing really do do but KOS, the people that just bought the game are going to be in for a rude ass awakening.

There is absolutely no way for a new player to defend themselves against anyone that could make decent weapons and has a dino tamed. One thing i learned in this genre is people are assholes and its going to be a real struggle. lol I never played rust, but in games like DayZ and H1Z1 its possible to find a gun and ammo fairly fast and at least have a fighting chance. Then again H1 and DayZ are NOTHING like Ark (no idea on Rust never played like i said). I cant play these kind of games on PVE servers though,t hey are meant to be PVP.

kcxiv

Once they optimize it I'm totally gonna jump in, but as it stands I just don't have the hardware :(

If you wait to long you are just going to get killed over and over again by players! from my experience it started happening the last day and a half or so. Do NOT make Wooden houses thinking they are safe. We have had our base broke into 4 times today and to even get to our storage units you have to go through 4 doors.

JambiBum

If you wait to long you are just going to get killed over and over again by players! from my experience it started happening the last day and a half or so. Do NOT make Wooden houses thinking they are safe. We have had our base broke into 4 times today and to even get to our storage units you have to go through 4 doors.

Fists can knock someone out pretty quickly and its pretty easy to find friendly players along with hostile ones. If you don't to deal with other players then you can just play on a PvE server or single player. Also if your base keeps getting broken into then it is probably time to relocate or set up better defenses with dinos.

Also just learned that you can build things on the back of Brontos. Time to tame one and build mobile homes.

I don't think any amount of dinos or metal walls will protect you once people start getting proper rifles, RPGs, and grenades. The only hope to keep things in check is people knowing is a double edge sword and making enemies may be a bad idea.

JambiBum

I don't think any amount of dinos or metal walls will protect you once people start getting proper rifles, RPGs, and grenades. The only hope to keep things in check is people knowing is a double edge sword and making enemies may be a bad idea.

We are slowly getting to the point where we can make the rifles and have found some grenades and they are so expensive to make that people shouldn't be worried about a group roaming around with a full arsenal like that. Unless it's something like a tribe of 10+ people that can farm the resources needed from caves, small groups just have a hard time gathering the needed resources. I'm sure it will happen at some point but it's not as easy to create weapons as some people think.

Was watching some gameplay yesterday. Game looks pretty cool, but man, that character creation is ridiculous and in my opinion takes away from the game. It's funny as hell at first, but the comedic aspect wears off pretty quick and it starts to look stupid. Maybe that's just me.

We are slowly getting to the point where we can make the rifles and have found some grenades and they are so expensive to make that people shouldn't be worried about a group roaming around with a full arsenal like that. Unless it's something like a tribe of 10+ people that can farm the resources needed from caves, small groups just have a hard time gathering the needed resources. I'm sure it will happen at some point but it's not as easy to create weapons as some people think.
They come on the alien care packages too.

Mirk

Was watching some gameplay yesterday. Game looks pretty cool, but man, that character creation is ridiculous and in my opinion takes away from the game. It's funny as hell at first, but the comedic aspect wears off pretty quick and it starts to look stupid. Maybe that's just me.

I hate it too. I hope its one thing they fix soon. This game has been a blast though. Nothing like getting jumped by a pack of raptors in the middle of the night or flying over 2 trex taking on a heard of trikes!

Top Bottom