• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARK: Survival Evolved XO-PS4 crossplay working internally; Sony won't allow it

CookTrain

Trying to spin Sony's fault toward Microsoft is a very classic behaviour that was extremely common on threads about the Minecraft Better Together Update, and your post seemed to indicate that you were of the same mind, but if you weren't then I take back what I said.

Believe me, that's not my point at all. As said, I'm zealously pro cross-play. Fortnite was just the last high-profile instance of someone saying no before this Ark news (which you'll see I posted in the crossplay thread moments before this thread, cause I'm a saddo who is all over this like butter on toast :D ).

cakely

I'm confused, can you blame them? Sony is being pretty anti-consumer with this shit.

You're not actually confused.

Crossplay would be nice. My expectations for getting it are pretty low. These threads all play out in exactly the same way, and I'm out.

Now comes the part where people defend Sony's backwards mindset because "muh PS4".
It is a very archaic mindset indeed but I get why they are doing it. Why open your gated ecosystem (from a business standpoint) if you don't need to? Eventually it will happen though. Sony can be a bit slow lol.

Maybe because Sony isn't changing its mind and the issue keeps popping for more and more games ? Why wouldn't they post the same thing if nothing is changing.
Cause none of that is going to change it. Something big (a benefit that they are missing out on) needs to happen with crossplay in order for Sony to actually look into it.

LordKano

Believe me, that's not my point at all. As said, I'm zealously pro cross-play. Fortnite was just the last high-profile instance of someone saying no before this Ark news (which you'll see I posted in the crossplay thread moments before this thread, cause I'm a saddo who is all over this like butter on toast :D ).

Don't worry, I fully believe you. :]

Cause none of that is going to change it. Something big (a benefit that they are missing out on) needs to happen with crossplay in order for Sony to actually look into it.

That still doesn't mean they can't complain about that.

This.
I don't know why people still buy ARK on its state.

He meant to not buy Sony stuff, because they're the ones at fault here.

13ruce

Banned
The true dream of gamers interconnectivity like PC where you can play your games with friends whatever console hardware they own and don't need to buy an extra one.

But Sony does not allow it.

wapplew

You know you as the consumer have be power to change this, and the refund thing: Stop. Buying. Their. Shit. You don't like how they operate? Stop rewarding them with money.

This.
Stop rewarding anti consumer company. Buy a Swtich or Xbox one X to reward the consumer friendly companies, send them a message.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
They should work on performance, pretty sure Sony allows that.

A waste of time and resources, they knew that shit when they started. Just a dumb dev, looking for attention.

*incoming "#4theplayers" or "fuck Sony" drive-by posts*

^This

Sucks but oh well.

They are providing the games. You know the reason ppl buy consoles for and why would Sony give Xbox a bigger community

It hurts their feelings though .

Best post in the thread.

Most of the other posts in here could be predicted with uncanny accuracy.

Yep, crossplay would be nice. My expectations for getting it are pretty low.

Billy-D_Approves.gif

Of course it's the usual suspects deflecting and defending Sony like they're a non profit PR firm.

AZ Greg

I really don't understand the "smart business move" argument.

I feel like the Xbox base is a certain type of gamer and the majority probably aren't looking to buy a PS4 anyway, so it's not going to hurt PS4 sales to allow it. On the other hand, for the large portion of gamers who aren't company fanboys, and actually go where the games are each generation, there are a lot like myself who have a PS4 now but had a 360 last generation. Due to that, I have a lot of friends I miss playing with on XBL and heavily consider buying an XBone to play things like Rocket League with them.

Sony can easily avoid me giving them that sale by giving the green light.

You know you as the consumer have be power to change this, and the refund thing: Stop. Buying. Their. Shit. You don't like how they operate? Stop rewarding them with money.

Pretty much this. Stop buying the non crossplatform version if that feature means anything to you.

The average gamer doesnt really care about crossplay though. Sure they will go "Ah bummer! Can't play with my friend on PS4" but nothing to the extent of "stop being assholes Sony!". Until it actually causes a fuss, they won't do anything about it.

Blobbers

reposting from the jimquisition thread

when you have a responsibility to your cherished userbase to protect them from crossplay and Fallout 4 mods, but Life of Black Tiger and literally trash tier smartphone games are a-okay

#justPS4things

it's annoying we're already at that stage of the discussion where people are urging other people not to complain because "obviously nothing is gonna change". like, we got there fast.

CookTrain

Unless MS willingly pay Sony to allow Cross-Play I don't see Sony giving away their market share.

Maybe not, but as I say, the big bombs are yet to drop. Once that Better Together update is out, people will talk about this issue again at a much increased volume.

AmuroChan

Does Sony still allow cross-platform play with PC? or are they now against all cross-platform play across the board?

MattAces

Does Sony still allow cross-platform play with PC? or are they now against all cross-platform play across the board?

Cross play with PC is going stronger than ever. Almost every multiplayer PSVR games are cross play (games that are on PC too of course).

CookTrain

They seemingly forbid Xbox contact. So if any other platform can touch Xbox Live at the same time as PSN, they won't allow it.

PC is fine. Switch is probably fine. PC or Switch that can also play with Xbox Live at the same time... no go.

A waste of time and resources, they knew that shit when they started. Just a dumb dev, looking for attention.
New account + negative Sony thread = Garbage combination.
Every time.

Not into ARK, but it's cool to see devs actively talking about the lack of crossplay, especially in survival multiplayer games where it's a pretty big deal playing with your friends.

13ruce

Banned
Unless MS willingly pay Sony to allow Cross-Play I don't see Sony giving away their market share.

Cross play is a feature that will be used more and more next time maybe even big titles like destiny etc are gonna do it and Minecraft will already soon.

They have to give in sooner or later because in the future exclusive console online play probably is no more (except for first party titles ofcourse and exclusive ones).

Cyborg

No need for crossplay.., enough players on ps4. I dont understand why people care about this

If its there fine, if its not I will still enjoy the game

Maybe not, but as I say, the big bombs are yet to drop. Once that Better Together update is out, people will talk about this issue again at a much increased volume.

Pretty much. Another big step would be if PUBG took off on consoles and introduced crossplatform play.

Of course it's the usual suspects deflecting and defending Sony like they're a non profit PR firm.

Naw. I can post like a PR firm if you want. Just using common sense here.

Nah, Sony is good with almost all crossplay games on PC

Cross play is a feature that will be used more and more next time maybe even big titles like destiny etc are gonna do it and Minecraft will already soon.

They have to give in sooner or later because in the future exclusive console online play probably is no more (except for first party titles ofcourse and exclusive ones).

If they already CrossPlay with PC and Switch (Dragon Quest X)

They don't really need to give in because they can just use that as an excuse. Is it anti consumer for xbox fans? Probably.

For PS4 fans? I don't think so because they already offer crossplay for other platforms like previously mentioned.

LordKano

No need for crossplay.., enough players on ps4. I dont understand why people care about this

Maybe because it would be pretty cool to play with your friends on PC/One/Switch ?

CookTrain

Pretty much. Another big step would be if PUBG took off on consoles and introduced crossplatform play.

I believe PU floated that by their playerbase and the PC crowd almost imploded. So while I'm hopeful... I'm thinking that may be a backburned project if it ever comes.

This.
Stop rewarding anti consumer company. Buy a Swtich or Xbox one X to reward the consumer friendly companies, send them a message.

Seriously. It doesn't even need to go as far as buying a different console, but consumers should advocate for what is best for consumers. People like to post stuff like "I see why Sony is doing this, hard to get upset over it" -- why should I view this in the perspective of what is best for Sony? Blocking cross-play was shitty when Microsoft is doing it and now it's shitty when Sony is doing it. Hell if anything it's more shitty now since it's becoming more popular and Sony seems like the main roadblock.

Change this to a topic about Comcast's horrendous data caps and how many people would be posting stuff like "well I see why they do it from a business perspective" and trying to defend them?

The God

folks are having an unrealistic fantasy where the end result is PSN and XBL being universal

What about if its an indie game or an old game that you love playing online but it has a small population?

Montresor

Lol I remember when people would snarkily and sarcastically post "Ball's in your court Sony" before we found out Sony were the ones actually holding up cross-play, back when we thought Microsoft were against cross-play.

Well, Microsoft's first-party isn't so hot but there's a reason I'm really enjoying their console. They're doing everything in their power, service-wise, to be extremely pro-consumer.

AmuroChan

Maybe because it would be pretty cool to play with your friends on PC/One/Switch ?

How does that work? Is there some type of new unified Friends list? If I'm on PC and my friends are on Xbox and Switch, how do I invite them to form a party?

Top Bottom