• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Origins "no plans on releasing another patch" DLC to take priority

really? more disgusting than companies who exploit workers in developing nations while leaving them in abject poverty, or companies that dump chemicals into rivers and lakes and contaminate drinking water for thousands of people, or oil companies that destroy huge swathes of an oceanic ecosystem with each oil spill? more disgusting than those things?

By company I thought it was Implied I meant Game Company and secondly I was talking about in terms of actual Public relations. Not acts.

But you are fine to go crazy about ecosystems and slave labor.

Rocksteady, save us. :(

?

What difference does it make, its the same publisher, no?

I only ran into one bug on pc version, it was one of the tower relays being nonaccessible. I believe they fixed it. Really enjoyed the game. Sorry for those that are having issues.

RPGCrazied

It was fun, but to me, this was the worst Arkham game. Poorly coded on the PS3, ran like shit must of the time. Don't think I'll be buying any DLC for this game.

I will say the voice actor was fucking great that did Batman though.

It was fun, but to me, this was the worst Arkham game. Poorly coded on the PS3, ran like shit must of the time. Don't think I'll be buying any DLC for this game.

I played on PC and for me it was easily better than City. I'm torn if It's better than AA but I think my head is telling me AA is better than it actually is.

Yeah VA was god damn excellent.

Story wise,

AO >>>>>>>>>> AA >>> AC

Gameplay wise

AC = AO >>> AA

I want to see what rocksteady has on the grill. New 52 JL plz with playable Supes, Batman, Flash & WW (shazam dream goal).

Mr-Joker

Banned
Well then if that's the case then I am trading the game in, along with the 3DS version and not going to bother with any future Arkham games.

Although they have fixed the game a lot (on PC anyway) this is still really shitty to hear for people who are experiencing crashes and other major issues still both on PC and consoles.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Even EA and DICE ceased production on DLC to get BF4 patches out. Outright acknowledging progress stopping bugs and saying you won't fix them but will continue working on DLC is pretty damn scummy.

Reule

Good, I won't purchase the DLC then. That's pretty shitty on part of the developer or the publisher pushing for said DLC. The single player works fine for the most part. I've ran into a few glitches but managed to get by. I remember I was stuck near the end and eventually was able to proceed but Batman kept repeating this one line over and over till I hit the next objective.

The multiplayer is all sorts of fucked up. Splash Damage was the one who developed that side of it, right? It's a lot of fun never finding matches, freezing, or losing progression. I actually enjoyed from what I have played of the multiplayer but I have yet to have a session in it that didn't have an issue.

Mate of mine bought it at launch on 360 after buying the other 2 Arkham games day one as well, huge Batman fan.

Took it back for a refund after his save file was corrupted 3 times. First time I've ever known him to return a game.

Has sworn he will buy WB game from now on pre-owned and only after waiting for reviews.

gotoadgo

Pretty glad I didn't have the cash nor interest to purchase this game. As soon as I heard Rocksteady wasn't in charge I was sceptical, rightly so apparently.
Absolutely abhorrent practice though. Remember this when their next game is released everyone, and vote with your wallets.

pa22word

The funny thing is that they said this when the game came out:

Batman Arkham Origins dev faced "resistance and reluctance" at "every level"
Because Warner bros corporation decision to force them to focus on the dlc has anything to do with that particular designer wanting to do a good job...

This thread is just another in the long list of gaf threads that prove barely anyone here actually understands a damned thing about how the games industry actually works.

pa22word

Pretty glad I didn't have the cash nor interest to purchase this game. As soon as I heard Rocksteady wasn't in charge I was sceptical, rightly so apparently.
Absolutely abhorrent practice though. Remember this when their next game is released everyone, and vote with your wallets.
Apparently you have a short memory then because rocksteady ran into the same problem with autosave game breakers on every sku of asylum and the pc version of ac remained a broken mess for years.

I wish people like you would get it through their minds that even if they wanted to fix the bugs they can't when the people who sign their checks decide to have them focus on something else.

Because Warner bros corporation decision to force them to focus on the dlc has anything to do with that particular designer wanting to do a good job...

This thread is just another in the long list of gaf threads that prove barely anyone here actually understands a damned thing about how the games industry actually works.

It's not even that people don't know (I sure as hell don't) but many are willing to pass judgment, and perpetuate unproven/false strains of thought without knowing how these things actually work. I'd hate to see people directly attack WB Games Montreal for all this despite them clearly putting effort into Origins, which suggests they actually care about the game's quality.

Guess I really made the right choice by waiting for a GOTY edition.

Now I'll have to wait for reports stating there's no bugs in that version.

Glad the community manager is being blunt, and hopefully transparent by holding nothing back with what's going on with Origins.

pa22word

Seems like the whole quality control process is fucked.
Not really. It's fairly uncommon for a bug to actually get totally missed in qa. The reason buggy games get released in the state they do is because publishers decide that the money they're going to lose for releasing a game in that state is less than the money they're going to lose in a delay. What most likely happened with ao is that Warner was uncomfortable with releasing the game after next gen consoles and call of duty, so they pushed it out the door even though it obviously needed a few more months in the oven.

What's terrible about the situation, as you can see in this topic, is that the devs end up catching all the shit for it when I guarantee you that they were the ones who were pushing for it to be delayed vs released in that state the hardest.

It's the same thing that happened with new vegas and obsidian. Bethesda chose to move the game's release date up a month in the middle of qa rounds, which resulted in the game being hammered in reviews for being buggy and obsidian missing a bonus that ended up costing scores of obsidian employees their jobs.

ZeroX03

Banned
Not really. It's fairly uncommon for a bug to actually get totally missed in qa. The reason buggy games get released in the state they do is because publishers decide that the money they're going to lose for releasing a game in that state is less than the money they're going to lose in a delay. What most likely happened with ao is that Warner was uncomfortable with releasing the game after next gen consoles and call of duty, so they pushed it out the door even though it obviously needed a few more months in the oven.

What's terrible about the situation, as you can see in this topic, is that the devs end up catching all the shit for it when I guarantee you that they were the ones who were pushing for it to be delayed vs released in that state the hardest.

It's the same thing that happened with new vegas and obsidian. Bethesda chose to move the game's release date up a month in the middle of qa rounds, which resulted in the game being hammered in reviews for being buggy and obsidian missing a bonus that ended up costing scores of obsidian employees their jobs.

I'm sorry, but does what you're saying actually absolve the devs of blame?

The game's release date was announced as October 25th on April 9th of last year. They knew when they would be required to ship months in advance. They can ask for the game to be delayed sure, but they clearly reached their given deadline and were not prepared for it. You can't say that's entirely WB the Publisher's fault. WB Montreal knew when they needed to deliver a bug free game and couldn't do it. And they had multiple chances to patch since then and still didn't manage to fix them.

Both parties at fault here. WB for pushing for DLC and money over patches, and WB Montreal for delivering a very broken game.

Wow this is bad. You'd think they would have a separate team for this. Still a great game and I look forward to the DLC as, knock on wood, I've had no issues with it. However, for everyone who paid money only to be screwed over; they need a better answer than "Dlc takes priority".

This is not how you PR... this is not how you PR at all. Someone will likely lose their job or at the very least get scolded heavily for it. You don't tell your customers "Yeah sorry our product sucks, but we're not fixing it. You can however buy our NEW products!"

Converse

Banned
I'm trading this pile in first chance I get -- releasing a broken, unfinished game is one level of bullshit; turning around and recognizing that your game is broken and unfinished, then publicly stating that you won't be fixing the game, but you will be releasing more sub-par DLC to make people pay for is a whole other level of bullshit.

I played the apparently "less buggy" Wii U version. I encountered at least three bugs that kept me from progressing (key events not being triggered -- had to reset or go online to find ways to work around the bugs), innumerable little glitches and multiple freezes, including one single play session that froze four times. In 25 years of gaming, I've never encountered a product that was so clearly unfinished.

Releasing a game -- or any product, for that matter -- in such as state is insulting, greedy and irresponsible, and the act shows a completely crass disregard for your audience. Piling even more disregard on top of that is just too much. This will be the last product I buy from Warner Bros. Games; I encourage others to follow suit.

In summation, fuck these shitheels.

?

What difference does it make, its the same publisher, no?

Well, depending on how much clout a developer has with a publisher (or how trusting their relathionship is), there is the potential to convince them that fixing bugs might be the right thing to do.

Since Rocksteady hit it out of the park not once, but twice with their games, and seeing how Origins took a 20 point hit in it's metacritic score (something publishers probably care about), Rocksteady might be able to go to WB and say something along the lines of:
"Yo, bitch! You want a Rocksteady quality motherfucking Batman game?! Then ditch the bullshit shooter multiplayer (or let us make our own kickass, panty-droppin' multiplayer mode), let us do our kickass job fixin' bugs and shit so people will actually WANT to buy the goddamn DLC... bitch."

Or something along those lines maybe. :p

Drainer

Banned
Man this would suck for achievement/trophy whores since I assume there'd be one for completing all side quests?

Amazing how these Batman games seem to always have SOEMTHING. My Steam version of City had that stupid GFWL save issue which I can't be bothered with now since I got it free on PS Plus.

Dysun

This game really needed some more polish. It had alot of potential squandered by bugs/glitches

Oh well, I might YouTube the DLC so I'm looking forward to it coming out

Both parties at fault here. WB for pushing for DLC and money over patches, and WB Montreal for delivering a very broken game.

And making the distinction between who's willing to screw over customers and who made mistakes in the game's code matters. People are lumping the two together which is screwed up.

Well, depending on how much clout a developer has with a publisher (or how trusting their relathionship is), there is the potential to convince them that fixing bugs might be the right thing to do.

Since Rocksteady hit it out of the park not once, but twice with their games, and seeing how Origins took a 20 point hit in it's metacritic score (something publishers probably care about), Rocksteady might be able to go to WB and say something along the lines of:
"Yo, bitch! You want a Rocksteady quality motherfucking Batman game?! Then ditch the bullshit shooter multiplayer (or let us make our own kickass, panty-droppin' multiplayer mode), let us do our kickass job fixin' bugs and shit so people will actually WANT to buy the goddamn DLC... bitch."

Or something along those lines maybe. :p

Sounds like a scene from All-Star Batman and Robin

pa22word

I'm sorry, but does what you're saying actually absolve the devs of blame?

The game's release date was announced as October 25th on April 9th of last year. They knew when they would be required to ship months in advance. They can ask for the game to be delayed sure, but they clearly reached their given deadline and were not prepared for it. You can't say that's entirely WB the Publisher's fault. WB Montreal knew when they needed to deliver a bug free game and couldn't do it. And they had multiple chances to patch since then and still didn't manage to fix them.

Must be nice to be that delusional.

Wb knew the game wasn't ready and wb put it out anyways. Game development is not a science, it is an art. Shit happens and bugs are encountered that need more time to be quashed. Wb chose not to and pushed the game out anyways because their wallet needed a boost.

They're at fault here no matter how you try and spin it.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
There's been five patches for the game.

I played it through already and I'm ready for the DLC.

How many outraged people here are, they themselves, stuck on a game-ending bug? What percentage of buyers are still "stuck?"

It's been proven that car companies will decline a recall of a life-ending bug in their vehicles when they calculated the sum of all judgments and damages would be less than the cost of a recall.

vg260

This is not how you PR... this is not how you PR at all. Someone will likely lose their job or at the very least get scolded heavily for it. You don't tell your customers "Yeah sorry our product sucks, but we're not fixing it. You can however buy our NEW products!"

What would you prefer the community manager to say?

There's been five patches for the game.

I played it through already and I'm ready for the DLC.

How many outraged people here are, they themselves, stuck on a game-ending bug? What percentage of buyers are still "stuck?"

It's been proven that car companies will decline a recall of a life-ending bug in their vehicles when they calculated the sum of all judgments and damages would be less than the cost of a recall.

Kinda surprised anyone would defend this position by a company. I am stuck at 80% I believe, would have to look. What do you deem a valid % of stuck players where this would not be ok?

BigDes

I got this on pc and it is so quiet

Everything I have pushed to max and I can still barely hear Bruce talking in some scenes

It is weird.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Kinda surprised anyone would defend this position by a company. I am stuck at 80% I believe, would have to look. What do you deem a valid % of stuck players where this would not be ok?

Well I'm not making those decision but I imagine it's gotta be greater than 0%.

As consumers, our individual experience with the game is of course the most important viewpoint for us. I am in no way fired up because I had no game-ending bugs, very few glitches, really just some frame rate hitches.

I can understand why someone would be pissed off if they couldn't complete the game, however. I was just kind of asking the "what percentage" question myself.

MazeHaze

Banned
I just started this game because my cousin gave it to me for free, and I was wondering if it gets any better? Seems really boring, I just found these micro chips in walkie talkies, then I had to go to this boat or something, and there's a bunch of dudes with guns there, and I found it to be incredibly annoying. Is this a trend of the game, or are these awful sections where people are sniping you rare? I loved Asylum and City btw.

And it is incredibly shitty that they aren't going to patch this for people having issues. It all around just seems like a game that didn't need to be made.

Authority

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS3upAxmLaY

When I saw this footage the first time I cringed really hard and wanted to grind my teeth out of embarrassment for a couple of hours. I had a blast with Batman: Arkham City and Batman: Arkham Asylum, because they gave me a tremendous third person view experience and they made me feel as if I was batman. Exceptionally deep and thoughtful atmosphere to say the least.

And then Origins showed up, a water downed version of them and blew everything over the roof. They executed the game so poorly that even pitching it the way that person did was a disaster; I couldn't stand listening to him even for a minute because everything he was saying were incompetent, inconsistent and boring; as if he had no relation to the franchise at all and was there to do his work.

This public statement reconfirms the most cynical person in the room; it is a straight forward statement that gives openly the middle finger to the ones that sat down there and thought that they company responsible for break-gaming issues would solve the issues with a decent amount of understanding for its decent game.

They are downplaying the issues exactly like Creative Arts did with its horrendous and shameless release of Rome: Total War II.

The Creative Arts comparison is an apt one: in both cases I came in as a massive fan of the franchise, purchased the game day 1 and got out thinking I probably wouldn't buy the next entry in the franchise.

This is how careless milking breaks audiences.

I was going to buy origins at some point soon but after this, nah it can wait for that sub £10 deal at some point. I've seen enough bugs from streams to know what I am jumping into and well there is a fair bit. Tackled on multi is not for me either.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
At this point, I don't see any reason to buy AAA games at launch, unless it's a Nintendo game or is a lately localized Japanese game.

I'll skip this one and wait for the GOTY sub $5 version with the DLC included and hopefully less bugs.

Shitty move by the developer and publisher.

Hasney

This is worrying me to the point where I may not purchase Dying Light instantly, even if there's a demo and it's amazing. Can't trust WB now.

Ashariel

Banned
I never ran into any major problems on the PC version, but fuck a developer that prioritizes DLC over lingering issues in a game. Gearbox is guilty of this as well with Borderlands 2.

I was looking around the other support threads and found this post by the community manager on the PC section which would seem to indicate they are going to looking into a specific issue with Deathstroke.

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Sup...ingering-Issues-and-Concerns/m-p/122959#M6564

Hi all,

The team is currently working hard on the upcoming story DLC and there currently are no plans for releasing another patch to address the issues that have been reported on the forums.

If we do move forward with creating a new patch, it will try to address the progression blocking bugs for players, not the minor glitches that do not prevent one from continuing to play. The issues that are not progression blockers will unfortunately no longer be addressed.

But as was mentioned on another thread on this PC board: The teams will be looking into addressing the issue of Deathstroke’s Quick Fire Neural Pellets and Quick Fire Proximity Bomb not working with PC mouse/keyboard.

The timing of this fix is still not determined, but I will be sure to post any updates in the Latest Updates/ Updates on Support sticky on this board.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused for some of you, and want to thank you for having been patient.

So it looks like they MAY try to fix this Deathstroke problem, but with no specific time frame or even any guarantee that they will get around to this fix. Although I cannot imagine playing this kind of game on keyboard and mouse, it must suck for those PC gamers that can since quickfire gadgets are a necessity to get the most out of the combat maps.

Also, I noticed this story has picked up some traction in the major gaming news outlets so hopefully WB games strongly considers addressing the problems some gamers have with completing Arkham Origins.

Top Bottom