• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArmA 3 Announced

Sethos

Banned
Prague, Czech Republic 19th May
- Bohemia Interactive, the award-winning independent Czech development studio, is pleased to announce the development of Arma 3, the brand new installment in its series of critically acclaimed realistic military simulators.
Combining over 10 years of experience, building upon the strength of its predecessors, and set in the most detailed environment of the series to date, Arma 3 offers gamers radical engine improvements and a unique sandbox-style military gameplay experience.
The next chapter of this stunning military simulation game is scheduled for release exclusively for PC in Summer 2012.

Survive in the rich & authentic environment
Adapt to the unsurpassed experience of modern ground combat
Win in the open-ended & story-driven campaign

After years of intense warfare against Eastern armies, Europe has become the last stand for the battered NATO forces. On the verge of being driven into the sea, NATO command embarks upon a most desperate measure. In the hope of seizing what seems to be a well-guarded military secret, Operation Magnitude is launched. A small group of Special Forces and Researchers are sent to a Mediterranean island deep behind enemy lines. However, the mission is compromised and the task force destroyed, leaving Cpt. Scott Miller washed ashore upon the hostile island. In his effort to carry out the mission, he will face the dangers of modern warfare, an unforgiving environment, and the consequences of his own decisions...

Bohemia Interactive´s CEO, Marek Spanel, explains: ''We're happy to bring the next generation of the Real Virtuality engine to life. The increased potential of the engine should allow Arma 3 to become our best-looking, most detailed and innovative military simulation game to date.''

Ivan Buchta, Creative Director of Arma 3, adds: ''Our ambition is not only to deliver the next generation of Arma with the improved engine, but also to fully exploit the potential of our new technology in the gameplay. You can look forward to the unique experience of blending sandbox-style combat with a rich story.''

Arma 3 will be featured in private presentations at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) June 7th-9th.

Key features:
*Single-Player Campaign - Evolve from a lone prey into a military commander in the open-ended & story-driven campaign.

*Vehicles & Weapons – Control a multitude of aircraft, vehicles and ships with accurate simulation; shoot anything from pistols to sophisticated weapon platforms.

*Physical Simulation & Improved Animations – Take advantage of PhysX™ supported vehicle simulation, in-game interactions and the revamped animation system.

*Rich & Authentic Environment – Explore an unsurpassed military combat experience set on an authentic Mediterranean island modelled from real geographic data.

*Multiplayer Gameplay – Experience both cooperative & competitive scenarios with the full support of dedicated servers for both Windows and Linux.

*Completely Extensible & Moddable - Design & create countless customizable scenarios using the intuitive & easy-to-use mission editor.

*Customizable Soldier Load - Choose your uniform; assemble your weapon kit; change your load-out; get loaded up.

http://www.bistudio.com/index.php/english/games/arma3

- Bring it the fuck on! My body is ready.

54-46!

So which game is the best military sim? I've heard good things about Project Reality, and the videos I've seen make it look very tactical.

Sethos

Banned
SneakyStephan said:
http://www.imgftw.net/img//970112756.png
Oh my.

There's also no bloom in the screenshots, yay.
Amount of bloom and unicolor look in the demo of the second game made me skip on it.

... You can turn it off in ArmA II.

BattleMonkey said:
I'm sure they will improve, but ARMA 2 even now still has such crazy fluctuating performance on high end machines.

Actually, they made some major improvements lately and my game rarely dips below 60FPS despite having everything maxed out basically, even able to add AA now.

Forsete

Gold Member
Not sure if want. ARMA2 was a disappointment IMO. Still the same retarded AI from OFP, and the horrible "voice system" (Two.. go to.. TREE... 6 o'clock).

Or were those issues fixed in a later patch?

Amneisac

Hopefully this won't come out before I've had the time to construct the super computer that will be required to play it.

Excited!

Forsete said:
Not sure if want. ARMA2 was a disappointment IMO. Still the same retarded AI from OFP, and the horrible "voice system" (Two.. go to.. TREE... 6 o'clock).

Or were those issues fixed in a later patch?

You were not supposed to play the single player :p

ArmA3 bring it on. Ready to throw one more year of my life away...

Sethos said:
Actually, they made some major improvements lately and my game rarely dips below 60FPS despite having everything maxed out basically, even able to add AA now.

Patch improved things a bit, but I still get lot of areas where things will greatly chug for no reason. I will get 60fps rock solid in areas but later on same area or even if I'm standing still in the same area, the game begins to chug randomly. Game is not exactly stellar looking either, has lot of roughness to it that it's sad to see how poorly optimized the game is.

The screen shots for this look great, I'm just afraid of the hardware requirements to make it run decently.

Sethos

Banned
While I'm totally pumped, it disappoints me so bad they chose to go the PhysX route. I purposely avoid nVidia like the plague, now I need to miss out on physics features because of it - Bring some open platform stuff instead, for the love of god.

Spat_triate

*Physical Simulation & Improved Animations – Take advantage of PhysX™ supported vehicle simulation, in-game interactions and the revamped animation system.

ohhhhh snappp!!

raphier

Banned
Totally did not expect this announcement. My only wish now is we get really improved FPS-view this time. I can't play the second game due old gameplay mechanic.

The soldier models look amazingly impsired by MW2.

Darklord

Banned
Please god fix the UI this time. ArmA2 had such an old and tired UI that was overly complex and ruined the game for me.

beast786

Darklord said:
Please god fix the UI this time. ArmA2 had such an old and tired UI that was overly complex and ruined the game for me.

I do agree with this. And had the same experience. But once I figured it out. It was a blast.

Sethos

Banned
Darklord said:

I hope they keep it. Don't want all that crappy new-age UI wheels and shit to encroach on this perfect niche game, it'll just annoy the core users and the CoD crowd still won't touch it.

Yes, could do with polishing in the graphical side, team bar etc. but beside that it works.

But people doesn't have to get their hopes up. They won't change the recipe. It didn't change from OFP to Armed Assault, it didn't change from Armed Assault to ArmA II and it'll still be good ole' VBS.

Tain

I'd rather have a clunky UI than risk losing stuff, I think.

I bought Arma II but am only now thinking about starting it up, now that I have a PC to run it decently. It can be pretty at times, but man is it uneven.

Sethos said:
I hope they keep it. Don't want all that crappy new-age UI wheels and shit to encroach on this perfect niche game, it'll just annoy the core users and the CoD crowd still won't touch it.

Yes, could do with polishing in the graphical side, team bar etc. but beside that it works.

But people doesn't have to get their hopes up. They won't change the recipe. It didn't change from OFP to Armed Assault, it didn't change from Armed Assault to ArmA II and it'll still be good ole' VBS.

They can improve the UI and control greatly without losing any of the games complexity. ARMA series has just a clusterfuck of a control/command set.

Sethos

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
They can improve the UI and control greatly without losing any of the games complexity. ARMA series has just a clusterfuck of a control/command set.

Really? Never had any problems with it.

szaromir

Banned
ArmA2 in coop wass one of the best shooter experiences I've had. It was almost like a roleplay where everyone tried to use military jargon and really cared not to eat lead.

Zenith

Banned
A small group of Special Forces and Researchers are sent to a Mediterranean island deep behind enemy lines. However, the mission is compromised and the task force destroyed, leaving Cpt. Scott Miller washed ashore upon the hostile island. In his effort to carry out the mission, he will face the dangers of modern warfare, an unforgiving environment, and the consequences of his own decisions...

Crap, more boring lone wolf missions. I preferred OA's large-scale open warfare.

Sethos

Banned
267725433.png

styl3s

I wish they would port them to consoles, i know the pc elitist here will be all FUCK THAT BLAH BLAH

i just don't feel compelled to buy an expensive gaming rig, which sucks because i do wanna play games like Arma and Witcher.

kodt

Banned
Yeah, PhysX is a surprise. I thought everyone agreed it was a bad idea since it alienates all ATI/AMD users.

styl3s said:
I wish they would port them to consoles, i know the pc elitist here will be all FUCK THAT BLAH BLAH

i just don't feel compelled to buy an expensive gaming rig, which sucks because i do wanna play games like Arma and Witcher.
I don't think pc elitists on here would give a shit if they ported it to consoles in the way you think, but like with opf elite for xbox1 bohemia would insist on doing it themselves again, and it would take three years and be stupid. they probably WOULD go bankrupt this time if they tried. I really don't understand why you want it on consoles, you just can't play this on a controller. you can't.

styl3s said:

It seems strange that the only company even trying to capture this market on consoles is Codemasters. It's a real shame.

demolitio

Maybe I can get more than 23FPS regardless of settings on this one? Playing with the game maxed out at native res? 23... Playing at the lowest resolution with everything on low? 23!

It's a shame since I was in love with the gameplay. I could get 60FPS in the air at least...

demolitio said:
Maybe I can get more than 23FPS regardless of settings on this one? Playing with the game maxed out at native res? 23... Playing at the lowest resolution with everything on low? 23!

It's a shame since I was in love with the gameplay. I could get 60FPS in the air at least...
did you try it at all on that last big patch? the frame increase was SUBSTANTIAL with that. I can't make it go below 60 frames at all times anymore even if I max out the draw distance I think

Sethos said:
Really? Never had any problems with it.

Problem I had is that so much of it just felt so clunky and could have been more streamlined. It really seemed that they just were lazy with lot of the control design for things and were like "we got so many keys on the keyboard, lets use them all!". Game is complex and always would be, but it just felt like they could have simplified how you navigate and control so much of it without having to lose any actual features.

Game is much simpler of course when doing multiplayer, but when handling the single player campaigns and all the different command methods you are given, it really felt sloppy.

Sanic

System requirements from the website:

System requirements
Operating system: Windows 7 / Vista
Processor: Intel Core i5 or AMD Athlon Phenom X4 or faster
Memory: 2 GB
Video card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 or ATI Radeon HD 5770 with Shader Model 3 and 896 MB VRAM, or faster
DVD: Dual Layer compatible
Hard disk: 15 GB free space
Other: DirectX® 10

Beastly.

demolitio

Joseph Merrick said:
did you try it at all on that last big patch? the frame increase was SUBSTANTIAL with that. I can't make it go below 60 frames at all times anymore even if I max out the draw distance I think
I'll try it again but I had it installed last week with the same result although I only tested the VERY beginning that time. I'll try it again and hope that the intro is just really poorly optimized.

I'm baffled by it to be honest. I'm playing every other game just fine, most of them maxed out, but this one gives me problems even on low. It's a shame since I enjoy the gameplay a lot. Too bad all my friends moved on to Operation Arrowhead. :(

PLEASE have a legitimate physics engine.

EDIT: and legitimate LOD/streaming. And modern object interaction/movement system.

Double EDIT: Oh, phew, just read the full PR. Honestly, other than the bugs and shoddy VA, the lack of a modern physics/animation system was holding ARMA back.

kodt said:
Yeah, PhysX is a surprise. I thought everyone agreed it was a bad idea since it alienates all ATI/AMD users.

Does it? I'm an AMD user and I couldn't care less as long as the end result is good.

i hate bees said:
Does it? I'm an AMD user and I couldn't care less as long as the end result is good.
it doesn't. physx doesn't mean superfluous effects only available on nvidia cards here, it means physics engine and works on all hardware.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm getting tired of gaming... huge time sink and there's just not enough time in a day to keep up with everything.

So I'm going to build a PC and this game and BF3 will probably be the only thing I play.

These guys get it: Authenticity, simulation, tactics. My most anticipated title.

Darklord

Banned
Sethos said:
I hope they keep it. Don't want all that crappy new-age UI wheels and shit to encroach on this perfect niche game, it'll just annoy the core users and the CoD crowd still won't touch it..

Doesn't have to be a wheel even just not 12 menus, each with their own list of menus and buttons. It's absolutely abysmal.

Top Bottom