• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArmaGAF Community Thread: DayZ was actually a mod

Armaly

Anyone have any tips on improving my fps? I tried setting everything to lowest but that just made it go lower. Having everything on ultra was better for some reason. I turned off motion blur and bloom since those make me dizzy and also tried turning off AA but that also lowered my fps.

Specs:

i5 3570k
780 Lightning
8gb ram

Edit: Arma 3 btw

mbmonk

Anyone have any tips on improving my fps? I tried setting everything to lowest but that just made it go lower. Having everything on ultra was better for some reason. I turned off motion blur and bloom since those make me dizzy and also tried turning off AA but that also lowered my fps.

Specs:

i5 3570k
780 Lightning
8gb ram

Edit: Arma 3 btw

Question, what game modes do you wish to have more FPS for and what FPS are you getting in those modes?

My thoughts are the following:
1) Here is an older video that has some tips & information I found helpful to boost my FPS. Example, turning Vsync off helped my frames and PIP I set to low, helped some as well.
https://youtu.be/Sgckg16UC-Y?t=9m5s
NOTE: I would not use the 3rd party Arma launcher mentioned earlier in this video. I find the default Arma 3 launcher more user friendly.

2) Arma 3, to my understanding, is a CPU bound game. It's mostly single threaded, so if you can overclock your CPU you will have a better chance of seeing better frame rates than messing with your GPU normally, though I am not that familiar w/ the 780. I believe you could use GPU-Z and look at the sensor information if you have it running while you are playing Arma3. If your GPU Load doesn't hit 100% then your video card probably isn't the bottleneck to your FPS.

3) Explore the DEFAULT Arma 3 launcher options. Specifically, Parameters -> Advanced->Advanced and manually put in information you know. Leave anything you don't understand alone :). Example, there is a checkbox for enable Hyperthreading, you would want to make sure you have that checked since you have an Intel CPU.

I hope the above resources provide you with an improvement or at least a good base to start tweaking from.

Hylian7

http://arma3.com/countdown

Countdown to the new terrain reveal, i'll be buying the expansion as soon as possible :D

I uploaded a couple more videos from Saturday 30th May.

Rebel Rabble
Start off as an AAR but quickly ended up as the AR (seems to happen a lot) as we are falling back to defend a safehouse.
https://youtu.be/ZlLg0eVir5k

Run
Bravo Medic, my god the amount of ammo that must have been fired in our direction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ept-ubifHps

Nice! I can't wait to see this.

Zeknurn

The E3 reveal went up a bit early on Bohemias blog and the new terrain is Tanoa

The video offers a first glimpse of Tanoa – a South Pacific archipelago with a land mass of over 100 km2, and home to lush tropical vegetation, unique landmarks, a rich history, and imposing man-made feats of modern engineering. Besides the new Tanoa terrain, the Arma 3 expansion will include new vehicles, weapons, attachments and gear, characters, playable content, and more. The expansion is scheduled to be released in the first half of 2016 and will be distributed as DLC for the base Arma 3 game.

Situated in the South Pacific, the island province of Tanoa is one of many that, together, compose the Horizon Islands – an independent island nation with historic ties to both East and West. Formerly an outpost belonging to the Empire of Japan, before its liberation by US Marines in 1944, evidence of a long history of conflict and turmoil can still be found dotted across the island – relics from times long-since passed.

Nowadays, Tanoa thrives off rich deposits of rare earth metals exported the world over, but controversy and civil unrest have long surrounded these efforts due to the perceived social, economic and environmental impacts of their exploitation. Tanoa is also believed to be a hub of illicit trafficking in the Pacific, but no formal charges have ever been raised.

In 2035, Tanoa continues to enjoy a prolonged period of apparent peace and prosperity, but the volatile geopolitical situation on the world's stage threatens to destabilize the region, and plunge it into darkness once more.

Tanoa will be the first South Pacific destination featured in the Arma series. Previous Arma locations included the Mediterranean islands of Altis and Stratis (Arma 3), the Eastern-European country of Chernarus (Arma 2), the Middle-Eastern nation of Takistan (Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead), and various other terrains in the fictional Armaverse.
gYrY7Ds.jpg

TnxObSC.jpg

SfamAYm.jpg

xmavLlY.jpg

A private video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aHxziH5l0g

artsi

Ouch, someone dun goofed. That big reveal completely ruined.

2016 is a bit disappointing, I thought it could arrive in the autumn, but the terrain looks sick.

And the trees, man. Sweet change after Altis.

Ocho

I finally bought this game and all the DLC. I have a couple of questions, I really want to get into this game, but I can't figure out some things, hopefully someone can help me.

First of all, how do I join any of the MP servers? It seems all need some kind of mod to be able to play. How can I know which one to download and where do I get them? I'm thinking battleroyale and king of the hill. Are there any "vanilla" servers around? Will the game ever auto install the mod? Mods like ACE3, do they conflict with others mods?

Second, I've been playing the VR missions to get a hold of complex mechanics, and I noticed I can't strafe on a heli with my joystick. Is this a known problem? Or is my sensibility too low? I can strafe alright if I use A and D, but no matter how much I try with the joystick, it barely moves to the left or right. I can do all the other things all right.

My questions so far, pretty sure I'll come up with more when I give it another try later today.

Overdoziz

Banned
What kind of error was it exactly? Because you can get missing files errors all the time, but closing the error will allow you to just keep playing.

Ocho

What kind of error was it exactly? Because you can get missing files errors all the time, but closing the error will allow you to just keep playing.

I had no UI. Maybe that was expected? lol I'll try later and see what happens.

Now, how about more 'sim' servers? Do I necessarily need a group to play?

mbmonk

There is a mod called Tactical Battlefield that is pretty fun. It has a battlefield gameplay ( Conquest, Rush ) but with the arma pacing and realism. It's a lot of fun, but the population is a bit low as of now. The servers only seem to fill up in the US during the evenings. The EU server seems to have a more consistent player base.

TacBF, also has some base building aspects, and uses TFAR for communication.

Ocho

Last night I had my first go with a 'tactical' group. Game is crazy fun when people take it kind of serious.

mbmonk

Last night I had my first go with a 'tactical' group. Game is crazy fun when people take it kind of serious.

Yea. Once I got a taste of the milsim gaming in Arma3, I just wanted more. To channel Jim Sterling .. "Thank god for Arma 3".

=P

Hylian7

ArmaGAF! It's been a while!

I would love to resurrect this group. In fact I'm working on some missions for us to tackle in Arma 3 ourselves, but of course there are other cool missions out there we could do too.

Something I really want to play with a bunch of us, is this mission/game called "The Game", created by KevBo from Shack Tactical. The only problem is I need the mission file, or I will have to create it myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZGnSbX-8tk - This is a video of Dslyecxi playing The Game.

The basic premise is that everyone is poisoned and slowly losing health, and are given a quarry that they must kill to get some antidote, and get some health back. If they kill their quarry, they get the antidote, and get a new quarry. You can be assigned anyone to kill, and people are going to be assigned to kill you, and it is in fact possible for multiple people to have the same quarry. There are also cops (players), but the cops aren't there to try to "win" or anything, they are just there to make things interesting, shoot at civilians causing trouble, and give the civilians someone to shoot at. The cops start out armed, and even have MRAPs. The civilians typically have either weak pistols, or are unarmed and have to find weapons.

Hylian7

I've been playing a lot of Battle Royale lately, and just had the strangest and unluckiest run ever.

It was on Altis, and first of all, the plane drops us OVER THE OCEAN ABOUT 500 METERS FROM THE COAST. As soon as I notice this I deploy chute, but we are still about 100 meters from the coast by the time I hit the water. So I swim for it, and then as soon as I get on shore, the red zone begins...and I'm RIGHT FUCKING IN IT. So I try to make a break for the edge, but of course I get unlucky and get hit by a bomb from it, there are no buildings around I can take cover in. GG!

Ocho

As a new player, I decided to give Arma 3's SP a try, and I'm really liking it so far. However, I'm playing without mods, and I'm pretty sure a couple or more can enhance the experience. Any suggestions?

Hylian7

As a new player, I decided to give Arma 3's SP a try, and I'm really liking it so far. However, I'm playing without mods, and I'm pretty sure a couple or more can enhance the experience. Any suggestions?

There's kind of an unspoken "rule" so to speak about Arma: The single player is not that great and the multiplayer stuff is really at. If you're really enjoying the single player, go for it, but most of the real meat and bones of Arma is in multiplayer user-created content. There are some good user-created solo missions out there, but the campaign is kind of there to say "Hey this game has a campaign". Having tried to play it myself, I gave up pretty early on at that one missions where you have to take the drone and spot out the mortar crew and laser mark them. I marked them and nothing happened.

If you want to just dive in without a group, there is plenty of cool stuff to play without any mods in Arma 3, such as Altis Life, King of the Hill, and Wasteland.

If you want to install mods, I highly recommend Battle Royale and Epoch.

While it might have a complicated UI, it does make using mods easy in Arma if you can figure out how to use the UI, I recommend Play withSix

You can install mods from it, launch just one mod, or setup configurations to launch the game with certain mods enabled (servers running some mods can be picky about which mods you have installed).

Ocho

I'm already in a MP group where we tackle co-op missions. Have their own server and mods to use. Definitively why I fell in love with Arma.

Pretty much play SP when there is no 'op' going on, and I really really like it. Yes, it may be buggy (although I had no issue with the drone mission), AI needs to be toned down (they are accuracy gods), but I like rolling around in Stratis doing a mission or two.

For mods, I have found JSRS3 and Midrange Terrain Texture Replacement.

JSRS3 looks interesting. Anyone know if this one can be used in any server (since it's client side)? I don't think it's included in the mod pack my group uses.

Hylian7

I'm already in a MP group where we tackle co-op missions. Have their own server and mods to use. Definitively why I fell in love with Arma.

Pretty much play SP when there is no 'op' going on, and I really really like it. Yes, it may be buggy (although I had no issue with the drone mission), AI needs to be toned down (they are accuracy gods), but I like rolling around in Stratis doing a mission or two.

For mods, I have found JSRS3 and Midrange Terrain Texture Replacement.

JSRS3 looks interesting. Anyone know if this one can be used in any server (since it's client side)? I don't think it's included in the mod pack my group uses.

I don't know much about JSRS3 in particular, but my experience with mods similar to that is that you can use them client-side no problem. The only potential issue is that with the recent changes to BattleEye, the public servers might not let you through with it. Private servers it shouldn't be an issue though.

Glad you have "truly" discovered Arma then. Yeah, the AI have always historically been...inconsistent, for lack of a better word. I have seen them headshot me on the first try with a 9mm pistol from 500m, while sometimes I stare right at them and shoot at them and they don't see me. For some reason when the AI are on my side, they are always like, ten times dumber. I was working on a tank mission once, and I put myself as commander and spawned some enemy AI. Well I commanded where to drive, and then the driver just runs into a fucking wall and keeps trying to drive into it, despite me commanding to back up. The gunner just aims and fires the MG at the wall for some reason too. Then we eventually ate an RPG. ARMA 3 AI!

NH Apache

Banned
So Exile is a new mod that comes out on the 21st.

It is the year 2039. After the resource depleting conflict in Greece, Europe suffers from a new deflation crisis, leading the crime rate to a new peak in history. Members of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization Security Council are forced to react. Being a desperate alternative to overcrowded and prohibitive prisons, offenders are now being sent to EXILE.

Looks good, runs very well, and base building looks awesome.

http://www.exilemod.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwJbCbigWeU

Hylian7

http://arma3.com/news/arma-3-roadmap-2015-16#.ViSyNfmrQdU

Bohemia released their Arma 3 roadmap the other day.

Big takeaways from it:

- Nexus Update: Improves multiplayer systems, new instances for End Game, performance improvements, web based service called "Arma 3 Units" for communities (I could see us or ShackTac using this). Launches later this year.

- Eden update: We know a ton about this already as we can use it in the Dev branch right now.

- Arma 3 Apex: This is what Nexus, Eden, and the expansion (Tanoa) are leading up to. Will include a ton of overall improvements and 'legacy' issues being fixed (Action Menu? Action Menu?! Please dear god be the Action Menu!) VTOL Aircraft and Light Strike Vehicles will be part of this.

I'm most excited to see VTOL coming back. They were always my favorite to fly in Arma 2, and was disappointed to not see them included in Arma 3.

Gruso

This looks like it could be a massive step forward for Arma modding. NouberNou (of ACE fame) has announced Intercept, "a C/C++ binding layer to the Arma engine, allowing native code in addons."

https://github.com/NouberNou/intercept

https://www.reddit.com/r/arma/comments/3v86dc/i_want_to_change_addon_making_in_arma_forever/

Some explanation from the comments:

All the power of native code in an Arma addon, it's every developers dream.
For those who might want to know what this gives us: Aside from the more powerful programming language that C++ offers over SQF and the raw computing speed of native code we also gain the opportunity thread our code potentially reducing the impact of mods to an absurdly small amount (just the calls into the engine, really.) I'm sure there are more benefits than what I can think of right now, suffice to say there's a lot of positives.
I for one am super excited about the possibilities this opens up (for example, look in one of jaynus' replies below, proper tank damage models.)

This literally means no add-on ever again has an excuse for a performance impact. 0.
ACRE will now have 0 performance impact ever with a drastically more realistic model.
This was also the #1 stopper for ACE vehicle damage - as our dispatcher overhead was insane.
This also could allow us to expand JNET to give arma our own network stack. This would fix desync.
There's a lot possible now here.

I think it absolutely will allow for extremely complex AI behavior now. Even offloading and threading AI logic. You can really apply true programming concepts and modern algorithms and techniques finally. The crap that is the RV engine and its scripting has basically forzen AI for over a decade; we can finally move past 1999 level AI.

tl;dr
- Modders can now write addons in native C, instead of Arma's janky, chuggy scripting language
- Potential for huge steps forward in AI, damage modelling etc, with no perfomance hit
- Existing mods would need to be ported to work with this

I want to get in on some arma 3, I've been fooling around with helicopters and planes and it is going pretty well. No experience with land vehicles yet. As infantry I've played a couple of singleplayer missions. Im in the EU though, UTC+1.

Would love some PvE, at least to start with.

artsi

Mods and modders are awesome.

I personally love Zombies & Demons, always wanted to create my own Arma of the Dead scenarios with proper military vs undead, not just roam the countryside in DayZ.
Charon's Undead Mod was similiar in Arma 2 but took a while for someone to recreate it to Arma 3.

Gruso

This is superb.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=565031120

Requires:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=500929500
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=501966277
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=453577279

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=22360
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=28185

Very important when you see an object to grab analyze it well, see all the details about it before grabbing the next object. Be on the look out for vehicles you can use to make traveling easier, make sure to stay off the rock areas and drive on the snow or else you might get stuck. In MP do not disable the AI it will cause issues with the insertion/extraction helicopters and other complex triggers. When you start A3 only enable the required mods for the mission, having extra mods installed could also cause strange issues for the game. Lastly, make sure your ingame sound levels are at it's default settings which are 100% for music and sound effects. That goes for all my missions.

Zeknurn

The new update to the Imperial Assault mod is out.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/changelog/474473428
Update: 13 Dec @ 2:52pm
December Release

Tweaks & Changes

• Added Stormtrooper unit - Found under vehicle class "Men"
  • Added Stormtrooper Squad leader unit - Found under vehicle class "Men"
  • Added BCCK thermal Detonator (used by the Stormtrooper)
  • Updated Imperial Crate to include BCCK thermal Detonator
  • Updated the Speeder bike with a rear seat
  • Updated the E11 with a full auto secondary fire mode (is less accurate)
  • Added Thermal Detonator Explosive effect and sound (slightly different to what was seen in the WIP featurette)
  • Updated the Speeder bike with improved handling (I say "improved" loosly, its still far from perfect)
  • Changed the E11 crosshair to make it less obstructive
  • Modified the config for the Thermal detonators so that anyone can equip them (should work in Virtual Arsenal now too)

Known outstanding bugs (includes bugs outstanding from previous releases

• Stormtrooper Armor/Compression Suit clipping issues - very difficult to get perfect but will further tweak if possible
  • Stormtrooper Armor,Compression suit, helmet and BCCK dont have proper inventory icons - This will be fixed in the next release
  • Explosive effect doesnt show the first time you throw it - No idea why, appears to be a game engine issue
  • Speeder does not set off slammer mines - Limited options to resolve, mostly a game engine issue
  • Speeder bike handling (Leaning & Barrel roll issues) - Limited options to resolve, mostly a game engine issue.
  • Dropped compression suit has different model - New model required, low priority item for future release
  • Scout Pistol accuracy - Accuracy will remain as is for now, pistols should not have great accuracy at long range
  • Stormtrooper voice profile being used by BLUFOR - We are still investigating a fix
  • Reticles look blurry at night - We are still investigating a fix
kZpvRh2.jpg

artsi

Double posting because this is something long overdue.

That reminds me. I have over 350 hours of Arma 3, maybe I should try MP at least once.

I can't believe I have wasted so much time just messing around with the mission editor, lol.

Top Bottom