• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Cant wait to play some more tonight after being away for almost a week. Sad to see the thread dying down, had to come to the third page to find it! When is the switch to Community?

I haven't played much since launch cause I kept sucking. Didn't know how to play properly.

But today, the game finally clicked. And holy shit, it's so good.

Gotta thank this guy for helping me understand the mechanics of the game.

ksamedi

Every opponent feels different in this game. There is no strategy that beats em all so its important to adapt quickly to the play style. I love that aspect of it. Im getting pretty stressed in ranked the more I go up so I decided to chill in Party mode and it feels really great not to have to worry about rank and just enjoy the experience. Cant wait for the DLC.

dk_

So I'm on the fence buying ARMS. Do you still find online opponents quick enough? When I see this slow moving thread here my fear is that the online mode is dead soon. I have a few random disconnects playing Mario Kart with NAT B and (on other devices) solid WiFi. Are disconnects common in ARMS as well?

So I'm on the fence buying ARMS. Do you still find online opponents quick enough? When I see this slow moving thread here my fear is that the online mode is dead soon. I have a few random disconnects playing Mario Kart with NAT B and (on other devices) solid WiFi. Are disconnects common in ARMS as well?

I've had 1 disconnect in ARMS over about 10 hours of playtime. Every time I play MK8D I get at minimum 1 per session, sometimes more if I'm unlucky.

LordKano

The longest time I had to wait to find an opponent was eight seconds.

I can find full lobbies instantly at basically any hour of the day. In ranked I haven't had to wait for more than a few seconds before getting matched.

RobRSG

The only disconnects I've seen in ARMS is if you stay idle for too long, aside from that, this is the second best game in a long while regarding to connection (Guilty Gear Xrd still the best yet).

jorgejjvr

Seems like not as many people active already...

The game was unfortunately given only 1 month to breathe before splatoon 2 comes.

I see it dropping off more after that.

Here's hoping splatoon 2 makes it easy to play together with gaf, competitively against others online, I don't think the first did that

Was this the first Nintendo Tournament without players using motion controls?

ARMS Tournament in Japan is going on right now.
Isn't the Bark & Bite player the gentleman with the dyed hair and mask that got really early to Rank 15? Btw, this one is an online tournament.

Didn't realyze spectator mode omits part of the UI like controller type and ARM selection. Will try to watch more matches later on.
This is the player i was talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3CAt0V8I2Y

Althought he wasn't the Bite & Bark, he was the Kid Cobra. Hasn't he encountered Mechanica early on, he probably had a spot in the finals.

random25

Seems like not as many people active already...

The game was unfortunately given only 1 month to breathe before splatoon 2 comes.

I see it dropping off more after that.

Here's hoping splatoon 2 makes it easy to play together with gaf, competitively against others online, I don't think the first did that

Some are busy with Zelda (like me). I'm surely gonna return from time to time.

DrDogg

Not one electric ARM in sight Lol.

If you look at the complete list of rank 15s instead of just the five or so listed with full bars in that small cut out, there are quite a few electric Arms. If anything this list shows there's quite a lot of variety in rank 15 Japanese play.

I'd rather see a win percentage than rank though. I think it would be a lot more telling.

ARMS Tournament in Japan is going on right now.

The fact that it's online really kills it for me (and the strange presentation), but do we know if this single elimination like most Japanese tournaments?

EDIT: Lol first match of the tournament goes to a time out 2/3 rounds.

bumpkin

I finally beat the Grand Prix on level 4 last night to unlock Ranked mode. I went 4-1 in Ranked before calling it a night. I quit after I lost to some toolbag who was using Byte and Barq... I hate fighting that character. So many pot-shots from that fucking dog left me open to grabs by Byte.

Every opponent feels different in this game. There is no strategy that beats em all so its important to adapt quickly to the play style. I love that aspect of it. Im getting pretty stressed in ranked the more I go up so I decided to chill in Party mode and it feels really great not to have to worry about rank and just enjoy the experience. Cant wait for the DLC.

I'm with you here, I played a bit of ranked but win or lose I always felt overstimulated afterwards and had to stop playing after 1 or 2 fights. I enjoy Party mode because I can learn different characters and arms without caring about the outcome. Sometimes I fight well, other times not so much 🙂

Falchion

Just got the game, the joycon controls took some getting used to but I think I'll probably switch to the pro controller because they still feel a bit loose. I notched the difficulty up to level 3 after my first go through the Gran Prix after doing the tutorial and got absolutely wrecked. Definitely need some practice.

GWX

I'm with you here, I played a bit of ranked but win or lose I always felt overstimulated afterwards and had to stop playing after 1 or 2 fights. I enjoy Party mode because I can learn different characters and arms without caring about the outcome. Sometimes I fight well, other times not so much 🙂

Had a great (even if quick) time with you, GuySloth and maybe some other gaffers I didn't know from Splatoon times. Great fun, even if I sucked horribly 😅. I love how different it is to fight different all the different characters, and different arms as well. The developers did hit a great formula and balance from the start; I can only get more excited with more modes, characters and stages!

Zedark

I agree, playing Ranked can be very stressful. That's part of the fun for me as well, though, getting to play half an hour or a full hour on the edge of my seat with emotions raging through my head. Usually, I can immediately recognise why I lost, and what the errors I made were, so in that sense the annoyance I sometimes feel is with myself, not with the game. Will definitely be playing the game for a while still (kinda addicted to that emotional rush lol), so there's that. There's always party mode to cool off, which works as long as you don't get enrolled in a fucking 2v2 match.

The two things I really want are a way to select a new stage in versus without going back to character select and a way to save/share replays (a la Mario Kart 8).

Had a great (even if quick) time with you, GuySloth and maybe some other gaffers I didn't know from Splatoon times. Great fun, even if I sucked horribly 😅. I love how different it is to fight different all the different characters, and different arms as well. The developers did hit a great formula and balance from the start; I can only get more excited with more modes, characters and stages!

Good times! With Splatoon 2 almost here, between that, MK8 and Arms I'm a happy gamer 🙂

I've recently been getting my ass kicked with people who use the electric homing missile, it misses, hits the ground, and blows up, electrocuting me. I haven't given that particular arm more than a minute as I seemed to miss and just get punished consistently but after seeing what some are doing with it I should give it another shot.

Also, has anyone else encountered players that will freeze you and then time their next punch so that they freeze you again and again so you can never move? This has happened to me twice now, not sure if that's something I just didn't know how to escape or......

HyperHip

Yeah GAF lobbies aren't really a thing anymore, so I guess the honeymoon is over. Not only that but I feel this game and the current community surrounding it aren't really visible at all on the web. I guess 2GGC tourney will be the first real test for the game.

Time to see if Arms legit has Legs.

GuySloth

Neo Member
I was so happy to see your name pop up in the lobby after I joined in on Incite. Party mode is quite good although I miss the 1v1 GAF lobbies. I can't spam ranked like a few others can so I do a few ranked, switch to party mode, then gp7, and rinse and repeat.

GokouD

Good times! With Splatoon 2 almost here, between that, MK8 and Arms I'm a happy gamer 🙂

I've recently been getting my ass kicked with people who use the electric homing missile, it misses, hits the ground, and blows up, electrocuting me. I haven't given that particular arm more than a minute as I seemed to miss and just get punished consistently but after seeing what some are doing with it I should give it another shot.

Also, has anyone else encountered players that will freeze you and then time their next punch so that they freeze you again and again so you can never move? This has happened to me twice now, not sure if that's something I just didn't know how to escape or......

The electric homing missile is my favourite arm, combined with a megawatt. I don't see many people using it though, it only really works at range so you have to be careful not to get drawn into a fistfight.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
So I'm pretty sure I developed rotator cuff tendonitis in my left shoulder from playing 4 hours straight of ranked with motion controls. It's been three days and my shoulder still hurts doing certain rotations such as twisting a doorknob and opening a door, or putting a glass away in a upper cabinet.

I'm going to play tonight with regular controls, but it's such a bummer because I vastly prefer motion. Hopefully the inflammation goes away soon (I've been taking Tylenol and using ice packs to aid the process).

I finally beat the Grand Prix on level 4 last night to unlock Ranked mode. I went 4-1 in Ranked before calling it a night. I quit after I lost to some toolbag who was using Byte and Barq... I hate fighting that character. So many pot-shots from that fucking dog left me open to grabs by Byte.

Just take out his dog. That opens him up for attack. Once u know how they work together it's not hard.

Ogodei

Man I hate three way battles

They're cool. A game of strategy to be sure: you have to recognize who the threat is and make sure the third player knows it too. Or you're the threat, in which case you try to make sure that you switch targets equally to make sure that nobody's counting on a third party being eliminated so that they can finish you off.

Grisby

Game looks great on handheld. Ninty got a good style going on which makes the colors pop.

I'm still just mashing stuff willy nilly and sometimes I win. I like this take on fighting, but it seems like the game lacks a lot of content. Although, to be far, the last fighter I played was Injustice 2, which set the bar pretty high.

I think they could have done a lot more work on prix mode and added a cool story for each arms fighter. Missed opportunity.

More modes would have been great. Basketball is fun.

MIN MIN for life.

Game looks great on handheld. Ninty got a good style going on which makes the colors pop.

I'm still just mashing stuff willy nilly and sometimes I win. I like this take on fighting, but it seems like the game lacks a lot of content. Although, to be far, the last fighter I played was Injustice 2, which set the bar pretty high.

I think they could have done a lot more work on prix mode and added a cool story for each arms fighter. Missed opportunity.

More modes would have been great. Basketball is fun.

MIN MIN for life.

Thankfully we are getting free updates.

And in July we should be getting a new fighter, stage, and ARMS. It also seems like we are getting a new mode as well.

HeroR

I have a question:

I have been going back and forward about getting ARMS. I am not a fan of fighting games with Smash Brothers and Soul Caliber being the exceptions. I played the Testpunch and like the game and would like more time with it, but I am hesitant to jump in because of my indifferent to this genre. I am also hesitant because I plan to buy Splatoon 2 and I don't feel comfortable dropping 120 dollars in one month for two games.

Do you think this game is a good fit for someone like me giving all the time some of you spent with it?

LotusHD

Banned
I have a question:

I have been going back and forward about getting ARMS. I am not a fan of fighting games with Smash Brothers and Soul Caliber being the exceptions. I played the Testpunch and like the game and would like more time with it, but I am hesitant to jump in because of my indifferent to this genre. I am also hesitant because I plan to buy Splatoon 2 and I don't feel comfortable dropping 120 dollars in one month for two games.

Do you think this game is a good fit for someone like me giving all the time some of you spent with it?

Well the game is reminiscent of Smash in that its fun and accessible even for those who aren't into fighting games, so maybe you'll like it. If you're fine with the single player content being kinda light, and you enjoyed the gameplay, then go for it.

That said, if you're tight on cash, Splatoon 2 is the more "full package", so I'd go with that if you're only buying one game.

HeroR

Well the game is reminiscent of Smash in that its fun and accessible even for those who aren't into fighting games, so maybe you'll like it. If you're fine with the single player content being kinda light, and you enjoyed the gameplay, then go for it.

That said, if you're tight on cash, Splatoon 2 is the more "full package", so I'd go with that if you're only buying one game.

I maybe consider buying ARMS later since Splatoon 2 is my current want at the moment. I am also not sure about ARMS single player content since it seems a little on the shallow side and I may wait for the DLC.

I really do what to support this game since it looks fun, but it's in a genre that I am not crazy for.

LotusHD

Banned
I maybe consider buying ARMS later since Splatoon 2 is my current want at the moment. I am also not sure about ARMS single player content since it seems a little on the shallow side and I may wait for the DLC.

I really do what to support this game since it looks fun, but it's in a genre that I am not crazy for.

Yea the DLC in Mid-July apparently comes with a new mode, so maybe wait for that for an idea as to whether or not things may potentially improve regarding the SP content.

ksamedi

I agree, playing Ranked can be very stressful. That's part of the fun for me as well, though, getting to play half an hour or a full hour on the edge of my seat with emotions raging through my head. Usually, I can immediately recognise why I lost, and what the errors I made were, so in that sense the annoyance I sometimes feel is with myself, not with the game. Will definitely be playing the game for a while still (kinda addicted to that emotional rush lol), so there's that. There's always party mode to cool off, which works as long as you don't get enrolled in a fucking 2v2 match.

Yeah those 2v2 matches are really bad. There is no strategy at all. Im just throwing punches and throws like crazy. Thats why I hope the new dlc mode will replace it.

Top Bottom