• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

DrDogg

One other good thing is get a shocky mcshock face arm, and when they are all paralyzed, then rush em.

Sometimes you wait right until a punch is going to hit you then BAM RUSH! cause it will deflect the punches and then you get em. you get em good.

But the best, THE BEST TIME is to wait until they are attacking someone else, let em rush, let em do the damage, THEN RUSH! HAH!

I actually don't agree with any of this.

If I have Rush and I shock stun the opponent I'd rather go for the guaranteed throw follow-up. Having Rush means the opponent basically can't do anything to me (unless you're Helix I guess). I'd rather keep that match control than get an extra 200 damage immediately.

Also, if you're in a 1v1v1v1 or whatever, and you Rush someone that isn't me, I'm moving into position to punish you as soon as that Rush comes to an end. I try not to use Rush or throws in FFA or team fights until it's down to 1v1 or 2v1.

You expect a million in a week? You mean World wide, right?

Oh yeah, for sure. I think Mario Kart 8 on Wii U came out on a Friday and by Sunday I think NOA tweet it was over 2 million world wide. I think Splatoon was a fast seller as well. We knew about its success pretty soon after launch I want to say.

DrDogg

Don't you lose out on building rush that way? The high level videos I watched had guys going ham with the offense.

*sigh*

Unacceptable that this shit isn't in the game itself.

Depends on what's happening in the match. If my opponent is playing fairly safe and just fishing with a single punch, I will do the same, so we're building meter at about the same pace.

If the opponent is just going ham, that makes it much easier to dodge and punish. Even if they get Rush first, I have the life lead. I can usually just bait it out, then finish the match. Either that or back away, build meter safely, then go in with Rush at the ready.

As for the Arm data, this game wasn't designed with competitive play in mind. If it was, they didn't do a very good job. Training mode is bad, tutorial stops at the basics, and it lacks details like Arm weight. Not all fighting games have everything they should (Tekken lacks frame data), but almost all of them have more than what Arms offers, for competitive players.

ngower

Any tips on playing with Min Min? I really want to love her but I'm kinda average. Twintelle is literally the only person I can win with.

Biske

I actually don't agree with any of this.

If I have Rush and I shock stun the opponent I'd rather go for the guaranteed throw follow-up. Having Rush means the opponent basically can't do anything to me (unless you're Helix I guess). I'd rather keep that match control than get an extra 200 damage immediately.

Also, if you're in a 1v1v1v1 or whatever, and you Rush someone that isn't me, I'm moving into position to punish you as soon as that Rush comes to an end. I try not to use Rush or throws in FFA or team fights until it's down to 1v1 or 2v1.

Well, my advice was meant for the fun rooms :p If people want advice in GAF rooms, they wont get any from me, I'm staying clear of that hell ahaha.

Depends on what's happening in the match. If my opponent is playing fairly safe and just fishing with a single punch, I will do the same, so we're building meter at about the same pace.

If the opponent is just going ham, that makes it much easier to dodge and punish. Even if they get Rush first, I have the life lead. I can usually just bait it out, then finish the match. Either that or back away, build meter safely, then go in with Rush at the ready.

As for the Arm data, this game wasn't designed with competitive play in mind. If it was, they didn't do a very good job. Training mode is bad, tutorial stops at the basics, and it lacks details like Arm weight. Not all fighting games have everything they should (Tekken lacks frame data), but almost all of them have more than what Arms offers, for competitive players.

By the way I can confirm mediums do not hamper Helix in the slightest

random25

Any tips on playing with Min Min? I really want to love her but I'm kinda average. Twintelle is literally the only person I can win with.

Charge that left arm from the very beginning of the match. Attach an arm there that you are comfortable of using. Then use it as a poking tool with the right arm acting as a follow up.

molnizzle

Sorry if I'm spoiling you guys fun. I'm chilling outside playing single joy con cause my arms are too sore. Also, I keep stopping because even with a single joycon, Helix is hilarious to play with, and I can't stop laughing.

No it's cool, it's nice for bads like me to get some points every now and then. lol

Ogodei

Cleared Grand Prix level 3 with Master Mummy. Was pretty easy except for the target smash game, Twintelle, and Spring Man (where i actually flipped my strategy to spam him with Mummy's heavy arms. The logic was to go lighter because he was fast, but i short circuited that by making sure my hits counted for more.

I don't quite understand volleyball, but i won easily.

Still have no air game, but i feel like i've got dodging down, so getting more of the basics together.

Biske

Holy Shit... I just got a 75% nerf at the start of a 1v1v1 match... thaaaat ended quickly ahahah.

I really love this gimmick, Winning a fight at 50% health was awesome, and then losing so fast at 25% health, its like... yeah I've terrorized these folks enough.

Though a 50% nerf going into a Hedlok match doesn't make a lot of sense, punishes the team as much as it does me.

atr0cious

Also, speaking of Helix, I think his "non" recovery is to mitigate his non dash, as I'm pretty sure the same thing is possible with kid Cobra. Cobra has to charge or jump to move effectively and Helix can only really jump to move effectively with any momentum.

atr0cious

I'm crying from laughing so hard. Also, some one once posited an all defensive fighter, I have to say I was wrong saying it's not viable and Helix is that fighter with double shield.

Further along in rank, the development of the meta is pretty interesting since it's pretty clear the idea that pushing buttons first will cause you to lose kinda doesn't make sense because of how super meter works.

You can't just sit there and not push things because the threat of super opens you up to YOLO throws that are safe.

Here's an interesting thing I've done:

I was down in a round and didn't believe in the comeback, so I charged super and had the opponent kill me right away so I wouldn't spend the round trying to make a comeback and then letting them build super.

People will probably be doing stuff like this in tournaments lol

Meter management is really interesting and I hope they patch 2 out of 3s into local switch to switch play at some point so we get full screens.

This post is a goddamn roller coaster. This game has potential, but only if they support it by doing things like what you suggest. Some of the decisions they made regarding round counts are just stupid. Why the fuck would local play be limited to single round only?!

Also, can you elaborate on "YOLO throws that are safe" with meter? Can you cancel a throw into super on whiff? Block? Counter punch?

Ketch

do you get anythign for beating grand prix with every character?

also, what are the best characters? like the ninja with glasses

Omg Doctor Dogg, you have to face this medium glove Helix, DEFINITELY no movement hamper. I just had to find the faster medium glove much like popper is the fastest light glove

DrDogg

By the way I can confirm mediums do not hamper Helix in the slightest

What Arms were you using the time you didn't use Poppers against me? Mediums or heavy?

Also, speaking of Helix, I think his "non" recovery is to mitigate his non dash, as I'm pretty sure the same thing is possible with kid Cobra. Cobra has to charge or jump to move effectively and Helix can only really jump to move effectively with any momentum.

I'll trade an effective dash for zero recovery any day of the week, but I'd hope that wasn't the case with Helix. You don't have to move very far to avoid attacks in this game, so if the developers thought they'd give Helix instant recovery due to his slower dash, they basically just said, "This character should win."

What Arms were you using the time you didn't use Poppers against me? Mediums or heavy?

I'll trade an effective dash for zero recovery any day of the week, but I'd hope that wasn't the case with Helix. You don't have to move very far to avoid attacks in this game, so if the developers thought they'd give Helix instant recovery due to his slower dash, they basically just said, "This character should win."

Mediums, albeit slow ones being sparky and chilla but now I'm using what I believe to be the fastest medium and it's the poppers all over again, thank you. Though I'm also referring to movement and such, in still able to do what I do with you with medium arms, but now I found the most effective arms (the ones I used with you weren't)

DKL

This post is a goddamn roller coaster. This game has potential, but only if they support it by doing things like what you suggest. Some of the decisions they made regarding round counts are just stupid. Why the fuck would local play be limited to single round only?!

Also, can you elaborate on "YOLO throws that are safe" with meter? Can you cancel a throw into super on whiff? Block? Counter punch?

Yeah, a lot of the switch to switch play options are essentially copy pasted from party mode with friends, so you can't actually do 2 out of 3s or proper 2v2s lol

I assume this stuff actually exists and Nintendo is just down backing on the stuff because we saw it at the E3 event, but it's a bit annoying that basic functionality is gonna be released later lol

That said, you can cancel anything with super and theoretically be safe. The only situation where you can't save yourself is if your super cancel in the air since you can can't block and you'll get bodied if your durability isn't as good as what's thrown at you of if you are already about to get hit and your startup isn't fast enough.

DrDogg I noticed that with mediums the only drawback is I can't afford to shoot both arms out at the same time but I can still punch one and evade counters to punish

Top Bottom