• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Army of Darkness fans rejoice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1327_1_front.jpg

A badass bluray is coming out in October 27th.

Scream Factory, the horror-thriller offshoot of independent film distributor Shout Factory, has detailed its upcoming Collector's Edition Blu-ray release of Sam Raimi's Army of Darkness (1992), starring Bruce Campbell, Embeth Davidtz, Marcus Gilbert, Ian Abercrombie, and Richard Grove. The three disc set will be available for purchase on October 27.

Synopsis: Forced to lead a makeshift Dark Ages army against the demonic Deadites, who possess all the deadly magic of hell, the shotgun-toting, chainsaw-armed, reluctant 20th century time traveler Ash must save the living from the dead, rescue his medieval girlfriend and get back to his own time.

SPECIAL FEATURES AND TECHNICAL SPECS:

DISC ONE

• Theatrical Version (81 min.) 1080p High-Definition Widescreen (1.78:1), DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 & 2.0
  • NEW Medieval Times: The Making Of "Army Of Darkness" featuring interviews with star & co-producer Bruce Campbell, actors Marcus Gilbert, Ted Raimi, Timothy Quill, Richard Grove, Bill Moseley, Patricia Tallman and Angela Featherstone, director of photography Bill Pope, editor Bob Murawski, production designer Anthony Tremblay, composer Joseph Lo Duca, costume designer Ida Gearon, special make-up effects artists Howard Berger, Tony Gardner, Robert Kurtzman and Greg Nicotero, "Pit Bitch" performer and effects artist William Bryan, mechanical effects artist Gary Jones, first assistant director John Cameron, visual effects supervisor William Mesa, and stunt coordinator Christopher Doyle (96 min.)
  • Original Ending
  • Original Opening With Optional Commentary by Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell
  • Deleted Scenes With Optional Commentary by Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • TV Spots
  • Home Video Promo

DISC TWO

• Director's Cut (96 min.) 1080p High-Definition Widescreen (1.78:1), DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 & 2.0
  • Audio Commentary with director Sam Raimi, actor Bruce Campbell and co-writer Ivan Raimi
  • NEW Additional Behind-The-Scenes Footage From KNB Effects (55 min.)
  • Vintage Creating The Deadites Featurette (21 min.)
  • Vintage "Making Of" Featurette
  • Extended Interview Clips with Sam Raimi, Bruce Campbell and Robert Tapert

DISC THREE

• International Cut (88 min.) 1080p High-Definition Widescreen (1.78:1), DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 & 2.0
  • NEW 4K Scan of The International Interpositive
  • Television Version With Additional Footage (90 min., Standard Definition (1.33:1), DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0)
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • NEW Still Galleries With Rare Behind-The-Scenes Photos from production designer Anthony Tremblay, visual effects supervisor William Mesa, and special make-up effects artists Tony Gardner and KNB EFX, Inc. (Over 200 Stills)
  • NEW Still Gallery Of Props And Rare Photos from the collection of super fan Dennis Carter Jr.
  • NEW Storyboards for Deleted or Alternate Scenes
  • Vintage The Men Behind The Army Featurette (19 min.)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FROM SCREAM FACTORY

Even being as detailed as we could here, we anticipate that there are questions you may still have about the cuts of the film. Our Blu-ray producer has provided a couple of Q&As that we felt might come up and that some may be curious about:

Q: Is the U.S. Theatrical version a new transfer?

A: Unfortunately, we were not able to do a new transfer of the theatrical cut (which was
provided by our partners at Universal). However, we did do additional color correction.

Q: Why is the International version a 4K transfer and not the Director's Cut?

A: Our original intention was to do a new 4K scan on the director's cut, so we started with
elements that were available in the MGM vault. Unfortunately, we could not find all of the
additional footage (film and audio) for the 96 minute Director's Cut.

Just so you guys know, too, if you preorder through Shout Factory, you get it two weeks early, and you get a free poster.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/f...on?item_id=382063&subtot=2697&items=1&units=1

spookyfish

I'm a little bummed that the theatrical transfer is the same master, but ... having all three -- four, if you count the television SD version -- versions will be awesome.

explodet

I'll put it right beside the original Bluray release, the Standard DVD release, the Trilogy DVD box set, the Bootleg Edition, Boomstick Edition, Director's Cut Edition, and THX Edition.

Ridley327

Damn, Shout! Factory definitely threw in everything and the kitchen sink into this one. It makes me a lot more hopeful that The Return of the Living Dead will get a similar treatment next year, especially with the various soundtracks it has had over the years.

only the International version is getting a 4K re-scan. The original theatrical version will still look pretty whatever.

Universal wouldn't let them make a new master for the theatrical. They tried to create a 4K scan for the Director's Cut, but the material didn't exist for them to do it, so they settled for the existing master, which apparently looks great.

I have the "Screwhead" edition. Is there enough of a difference to warrant picking up this new version?

Well, you get 4 different cuts of the movie and shit loads of bonus features all nicely spread on 3 bluray disks. It depends if you want more or you're just fine with one version of the movie.

Edit: Also, if you care/don't care about bonus features.

gerudoman

I remember renting AoD on VHS while I was in Australia, and it was completely missing this line. Boo to the international cut! I think he just said "I'm not that good" instead.

In the Spanish dubbing he says the same, always thought it was a bad translation. The more you know...

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Look at all those cuts, gettin' all Blade Runner in here.

I'm in.

Just got a pretty nice haul taking advantage of the back to school sale on shout.
Army of Darkness
Tales from the Crypt Demon Knight
The Battery
Nathan for you Season 1 and 2
$75 after discount plus free shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom