• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Around 23% of PC players won’t be able to play Alan Wake 2

Draugoth

Gold Member
Alan-Wake-2.jpg

According to a now-deleted tweet from a Remedy employee, somewhere around 23% of PC players won’t be able to play the game.

To be clear, the employee didn’t say that number explicitly. In response to the outcry over the Alan Wake 2 system requirements, the employee shared that only cards with mesh shaders are officially supported, meaning any Nvidia 10-series or AMD RX 5000-series GPUs or older aren’t officially supported.

A tweet from an Alan Wake 2 developer.

I did some quick math on Steam’s latest hardware survey, and that accounts for somewhere between 23% and 25% of participants, depending on if you count integrated graphics or not. The number is much larger if you include Nvidia’s GTX 16-series graphics cards, which support mesh shaders, but fall below the minimum requirements for Alan Wake 2.

The developer says that cards without mesh shader support will still run the game, but you’ll likely experience much lower performance. It points to the example of an RX 5700 XT and RX 6600 showing a large gap in Alan Wake 2 despite having similar performance otherwise. Strict mesh shader support, according to the developer, came up after the team experienced “lots of perfs issues and bugs” with a vertex shader path, leading the development team to officially drop support for it.

T4keD0wN

That’s 100% of consoles then.
Nah, they intend to make sales on console, they will get it working there. The pc version only exists to support a launcher and promote nvidia gpus. Sales there dont matter since they give it for free with gpus that are capable of running it acceptably.
I think i might buy it if its not too scary, it looks pretty nice.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I think this game could be a massive disappointment in term of sales

Really hoping the performance on ps5 is good

phant0m

Sucks for them because this game looks amazing:

B-b-but in the other thread just yesterday everyone was saying how it doesn’t even look that good just justify those reqs!!

Please tell me what to believe GAF so I can post your opinion on twitter and Reddit

Mortisfacio

If they give this game away for free at some point, I'll pick it up. Or will pay if it moves to Steam. Loved the first one and loved Control, but I just can't support EGS with their attempts to moneyhat 3rd party exclusivity.

Hoddi

I'm just glad that we're finally getting proper 'next-gen' games and it was always a given that certain PC gamers would get mad over it. This happens every time there's a new console generation and it's two years late if anything.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’ll be on Geforce plus premium go beyond plus ultra to play this one.

Guilty_AI

Then you obviously didn't enjoy the shared world storyline of Alan Wake 1 and Control.
As a matter of fact, i didn't. Alan wake was cool for its time but became very repetitive. Control's storyline is a complete mess and plain uninteresting, not to mention it constantly intrudes on the fun but also repetitive combat.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

As a matter of fact, i didn't. Alan wake was cool for its time but became very repetitive. Control's storyline is a complete mess and plain uninteresting, not to mention it constantly intrudes on the fun but also repetitive combat.

Well that's where we will agree to disagree Guilty Ai. I enjoyed watching Alan's battle and attempted escape from The Dark Presence and Jessie's battle with The Hiss inside The World Tree.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Well that's where we will agree to disagree Guilty Ai. I enjoyed watching Alan's battle and attempted escape from The Dark Presence and Jessie's battle with The Hiss inside The World Tree.
Yeah but, how many agree with me? Try and imagine how much people would even be interested in this if it had "normal" graphics.

Mister Wolf

Yeah but, how many agree with me? Try and imagine how much people would even be interested in this if it had "normal" graphics.

Well now we get two groups with some customers shared between them. The fans of Remedy's shared universe, the graphics whores, and people like me who are both. Remedy is getting funding from Epic and Nvidia for this game. I'm sure they will be ok if some people decide not to play it. Especially people who didn't enjoy their games in the first place.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think most people here know I’m no graphic whore, I’m interested in this game because I enjoyed original Alan Wake…..graphics was never and never will be selling point for any game.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I think most people here know I’m no graphic whore, I’m interested in this game because I enjoyed original Alan Wake…..graphics was never and never will be selling point for any game.
Shiny new Graphics are literally the entire selling point of every new console generation and new GPU release

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Same, i couldn't get into Crysis and that was a graphics showcase.
Novelty of high tech graphic last about hour or so after that if the game is not fun then I’m gonna stop playing.
Shiny new Graphics are literally the entire selling point of every new console generation and new GPU release
For you maybe but not me, at end of the day if the game doesn’t deliver on gameplay or story then those “shiny new graphics” are pointless to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom