• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake II : Allegedly Only 7% of players will be able to run the game at real 1080P 60FPS

I'm not sure I understand the "you asked for next gen graphics" argument when the most powerful and expensive GPU on the market can't even hit 60fps at 1080p with RT.

That's a situation that might see players need another two generations before they can comfortably run a game like this at 4k60 at ultra with RT.

What about games coming out in the next 6 months?

Are we looking at the 60 series to address this imbalance?

It may well be an exaggeration, but if developers are offering stuff that cannot run on today's most cutting edge consumer technology when will it run?

Where does this leave the majority of people still using 10, 20, even 30 series cards?

Upgrade?

Then what?

Be in the same boat 18 months from now because the GPU they upgraded to can't run those games that releasing and the cycle continues?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm not sure I understand the "you asked for next gen graphics" argument when the most powerful and expensive GPU on the market can't even hit 60fps at 1080p with RT.

That's something that might need another two generations to run at 4k60 at ultra with RT.

Are we looking at the 60 series?

It may well be an exaggeration, but if developers are offering stuff that cannot run on today's most cutting edge consumer technology when will it run?
Path tracing is next next Gen technology. It’s not ready yet. Consoles are running this just fine without rt. Your 3080 and other mid range cards will run fine without path tracing.

I ran control at 960p internal resolution back in 2019 on the second most powerful card on the market. That gpu was running everything at 4k 60 fps at the time. Rt simply has an extra cost that we all have to get used to.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Path tracing is next next Gen technology. It’s not ready yet. Consoles are running this just fine without rt. Your 3080 and other mid range cards will run fine without path tracing.

I ran control at 960p internal resolution back in 2019 on the second most powerful card on the market. That gpu was running everything at 4k 60 fps at the time. Rt simply has an extra cost that we all have to get used to.

Cyberpunk with pathtracing and DLSS 3.5 runs great for me. I think Alan Wake 2 is gonna come in a little hot and be perfectly playable with pathtracing after some patches and them working with Nvidia.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

Screenshot-2023-10-24-15-58-42-682-com-android-chrome.jpg
I didn’t realize this has frame gen. That’s good news. This paints a much better picture than the spec chart in the op.

Goalus

I am suprised.
When MS announced in 2015/16 that all their games were going to be on PC day 1, the various commentary suggested that basically everyone has a capable gaming PC at home.
OK, so "7% of players"? Admittedly that is almost everyone if we ignore about 90%.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I am suprised.
When MS announced in 2015/16 that all their games were going to be on PC day 1, the various commentary suggested that basically everyone has a capable gaming PC at home.
OK, so "7% of players"? Admittedly that is almost everyone if we ignore about 90%.
This game is the exception, not the norm. Native 1080p/High settings/60fps requires far more than just a capable gaming PC. It requires something solidly above average and a GPU around 80% faster than what the consoles sport.

Anything above a 2070/16GB of RAM/9600K/3600 is a capable gaming PC.

FireFly

That's a situation that might see players need another two generations before they can comfortably run a game like this at 4k60 at ultra with RT.

What about games coming out in the next 6 months?

Are we looking at the 60 series to address this imbalance?

Where does this leave the majority of people still using 10, 20, even 30 series cards?

Upgrade?

Then what?

Be in the same boat 18 months from now because the GPU they upgraded to can't run those games that releasing and the cycle continues?
It's 89 FPS according to the Nvidia benchmarks. Overall it looks like it might be slightly less demanding than pathtracing on Cyberpunk, where you can get away with DLSS Balanced at 1440p on a 3080/4070.

Are these articles about poor performance simply a case of headlines designed to gain clicks?

I agree, of course, that RT is the real issue and one that I think will require another generation or two for cards to pull it off without the absurd performance hit.

It's 89 FPS according to the Nvidia benchmarks. Overall it looks like it might be slightly less demanding than pathtracing on Cyberpunk, where you can get away with DLSS Balanced at 1440p on a 3080/4070.
Really?

I guess that's more positive.

Where was all this talk of barely hitting 30fps on 4090s coming from?

Of course I want that, but it also has to remain realistic, especially with today's graphics card prices. It seems with many new games that there is very little or no optimization and the games are then thrown on the market.

If you have a 4080 or 4090 or a 7900 xtx. Sure, you don't care much, but everyone below that is already starting to sweat.
It's starting to feel like 1200 dollar GPUs are already obsolete.

I'm exaggerating, of course, but how many cards are capable of playing this new Alan Wake 2 game at native 4k (so no upscaling technology) 60fps ultra/high settings with RT enabled?

If there isn't one, meaning even the 4090 can't do it, when will we see one that can?

MaKTaiL

I have a friend who works as a reviewer here in Brazil and he got an early copy of Alan Wake 2 for PS5. Here is what he told me about it so far (no spoilers):

- Graphics are insanely good albeit the resolution definitely takes a hit
- Framerate is unstable on both modes (Fidelity and Performance). Dips to mid 40s on Performance and a few minor drops on Fidelity. Recommends playing on Fidelity for now. He isn't sure if there will be a day 1 patch.
- He said Digital Foundry's review should be interesting (graphics are definitely next-gen and should push cards to a new benchmark)
- Horror is turned up to 11. Really great atmosphere, really intense sections. Saga's story is the spookiest of the two. Not for the faint of heart.
- Bullets are scarce and gameplay is much more survival horror oriented compared to the first game.
- Minor tiny spoiler:
Lots of references to Control, definitely connected to the universe

BONUS: He said there is a section that happens midway through the story that isn't like anything he has ever seen before. Definitely ranks Top 10 best gaming moments he has ever experienced. (I bet it is something related to music like Alan Wake 1 and Control had)

Last edited:

Paperboy

First Cities Skylines 2, now this ..what kind of computer does the average Jukka have there in Finland..?

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Remedy knows how to optimize. I remember when Control came out it worked great from day one on my laptop with a 2070. No massive bugs or else. Of course, there are always people who have problems, but overall the game was solid.
And the DLSS integration was crap at first (since it was DLSS 1.0) but quickly became one of the best implementations after a few updates. So I'm confident about AW II.

- Framerate is unstable on both modes (Fidelity and Performance). Dips to mid 40s on Performance and a few minor drops on Fidelity. Recommends playing on Fidelity for now. He isn't sure if there will be a day 1 patch.
- He said Digital Foundry's review should be interesting (graphics are definitely next-gen and should push cards to a new benchmark)
- Horror is turned up to 11. Really great atmosphere, really intense sections. Saga's story is the spookiest of the two. Not for the faint of heart.
- Bullets are scarce and gameplay is much more survival horror oriented compared to the first game.
- Minor tiny spoiler:

BONUS: He said there is a section that happens midway through the story that isn't like anything he has ever seen before. Definitely ranks Top 10 best gaming moments he has ever experienced. (I bet it is something related to music like Alan Wake 1 and Control had)
Agree with everything, except for the performance on console since I don't have a PS5. It's a GOTY contender imo and we all know this year was PACKED.

About that spoiler bit
Control (The FBC) is referenced very, very quickly in the game and it's a funny bit when you have read all the stuff in Control. Like, maybe, the FBC sending a team to Bright Falls...

image.png

I've said it before but the AW II OT is gonna look like this after a few hours

charlie-day-its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia.gif

Last edited:

Luipadre

I have a friend who works as a reviewer here in Brazil and he got an early copy of Alan Wake 2 for PS5. Here is what he told me about it so far (no spoilers):

- Minor tiny spoiler:

2 days... What he meant about resolution takes a hit? Even in quality mode?

FireFly

Really?

I guess that's more positive.

Where was all this talk of barely hitting 30fps on 4090s coming from?
Not from Remedy as even the official requirements show a 4080 is good for 60 FPS at 4K with DLSS.

It's starting to feel like 1200 dollar GPUs are already obsolete.

I'm exaggerating, of course, but how many cards are capable of playing this new Alan Wake 2 game at native 4k (so no upscaling technology) 60fps ultra/high settings with RT enabled?

If there isn't one, meaning even the 4090 can't do it, when will we see one that can?
Native 4K often looks worse or similar to DLSS Quality, and a 4090 may be able to run the game in DLSS Quality at 4K with max ray tracing. Or if not, you can drop down to medium ray tracing, which lowers the number of light bounces.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
First Cities Skylines 2, now this ..what kind of computer does the average Jukka have there in Finland..?

Skylines is an unoptimized mess.

The AW2 benchmarks being shown are with all of the latest path tracing, light bouncing cranked up beyond anything we’ve seen.

MaKTaiL

Remedy knows how to optimize. I remember when Control came out it worked great from day one on my laptop with a 2070. No massive bugs or else. Of course, there are always people who have problems, but overall the game was solid.
And the DLSS integration was crap at first (since it was DLSS 1.0) but quickly became one of the best implementations after a few updates. So I'm confident about AW II.

Agree with everything, except for the performance on console since I don't have a PS5. It's a GOTY contender imo and we all know this year was PACKED.

About that spoiler bit
Control (The FBC) is referenced very, very quickly in the game and it's a funny bit when you have read all the stuff in Control. Like, maybe, the FBC sending a team to Bright Falls...

image.png

I've said it before but the AW II OT is gonna look like this after a few hours

charlie-day-its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia.gif
I'm curious to know if you felt the same way about that bonus part. I'm quite intrigued! 2 days!

Thaedolus

Not from Remedy as even the official requirements show a 4080 is good for 60 FPS at 4K with DLSS.

Native 4K often looks worse or similar to DLSS Quality, and a 4090 may be able to run the game in DLSS Quality at 4K with max ray tracing. Or if not, you can drop down to medium ray tracing, which lowers the number of light bounces.
Not just RT but most of the time these settings have options ranging from medium to ultra with barely perceptible differences, but huge performance hits. Path tracing really is an amazing upgrade but some rando setting going from medium to ultra can tank the frame rate by just as much and only some nerd with a magnifying glass can tell the difference.

It sounds like a decent PC will be able to run this just fine, it just won’t be maxxed out with all the bells and whistles…and there’s nothing wrong with that. That’s actually the beauty of PC gaming. But if you’ve got a monster rig and are on team green with DLSS, you’re fine going all out

- Minor tiny spoiler:

Gonna soak in this game for a week +. Everything else is on hodl. 13 mofo years man.

amigastar

The PC Requirements for Ray Tracing Medium 60fps are an RTX 4070 with Quality DLSS, but maybe with Performance DLSS i can crank the settings to high. I hope so at least.
Performance DLSS should give about 15-20 more fps than Quality DLSS based on experience.

Last edited:

NT80

Do ya'll want games to push the visual bar or not?

I swear, if a game runs well on shit hardware, everyone complains that "iT'S nOt NeXt gEn". If a game looks incredible and has high hardware requirements to go along with that, it's "nO oNe CaN pLaY tHiS aT 60fPs".
Does it actually look incredible though? Doesn't really look like it from the footage shown so far.

Wait a Ryzen 3700x is requiried cpu? Wth.. I have a Ryzen 5 3600 6 core 12 thread cpu that has been great for every game. I play at 1080p with a 3060ti. Been able to max out every game.
My hardware came out in 2020.

This game doesn't even look that impressive. Its not some complex simulation, there is no need for cpu like that.
I can understand gpu needed (somewhat, this screams unoptimized code), but the cpu part, nah. Most games don't use all those cores. Its usually heavy multi-tasking and streamers who process video who need 16+ cores.

This makes no sense. Its a skip for me. Maybe if they optimize it and its on sale in a few years. Don't plan on replacing my hardware yet.

Bojji

Wait a Ryzen 3700x is requiried cpu? Wth.. I have a Ryzen 5 3600 6 core 12 thread cpu that has been great for every game. I play at 1080p with a 3060ti. Been able to max out every game.
My hardware came out in 2020.

This game doesn't even look that impressive. Its not some complex simulation, there is no need for cpu like that.
I can understand gpu needed (somewhat, this screams unoptimized code), but the cpu part, nah. Most games don't use all those cores. Its usually heavy multi-tasking and streamers who process video who need 16+ cores.

This makes no sense. Its a skip for me. Maybe if they optimize it and its on sale in a few years. Don't plan on replacing my hardware yet.

It doesn't, it has 4 core 7600 as minimum. 3700X is just around enough CPU power to deliver 60FPS with RT (according to Remedy).

Game doesn't look to be badly optimized for what it's rendering:

DanielG165

This’ll be one of those rare moments where my SX or PS5 yield a better result than my PC (2080 Super) does. 30fps here I come.

Didn't the OP say that it had been established that only 7% of GPU could play at 1080-60?

raduque

4-7 year old GPU not supported is ok, at some point support must be dropped to push higher limits.
I just got a 2080 second hand for $175 (subtracting the value of the other stuff I got for a total of $300). To play AW2 at 1080p 60fps, I'd need to spend $900 more for a 4080 or better. It's kind of ridiculous.

Bojji

Isn't native more demanding?

That's why I included it in my question

No GPU is capable of that. Based on Nvidia slides 4090 gets just over 30FPS:

alan-wake-2-geforce-rtx-3840x2160-rt-high-nvidia-dlss-3-5-desktop-gpu-performance.png

This game is super heavy, but it also pushes technology like Cyberpunk and Crysis before so it is justified. Not like Cities: Skylines 2, this is just unoptimized mess running on shit engine.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

On the one hand, it sucks that most people won't be able to run this at any level of respectable settings, on the other it's nice to have a modern game to finally sub in for Crysis in the 'But will it run Crysis' meme.

Top Bottom